Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm tuned for 93 in my '13 WRX and only one station in this area has 93. They also have 112 :getin:

I'm tuned for 91 and NOBODY in my area sells it. So my choice is either run 93 (which I do), or do 93/89 at a 50/50 ratio which takes freaking forever because pumps don't reset right away when you hang up the handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

revmoo posted:

I'm tuned for 91 and NOBODY in my area sells it. So my choice is either run 93 (which I do), or do 93/89 at a 50/50 ratio which takes freaking forever because pumps don't reset right away when you hang up the handle.

I'd think that running 93 just for the knock insurance would be nice. Then again I "tuned" my NA for 91 by bumping the timing 4 points so I have to back it off in the summer :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Road Failures

Who fed the bus taco bell?

Seriously? what the hell happened?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I'm not too worried about it, especially since my car doesn't have any knock sensors (SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

Who fed the bus taco bell?

Seriously? what the hell happened?

We've had a lot of flooding lately here in Arizona - heavy rains, ground chemistry that doesn't see much water so it doesn't absorb but rather floats on top, and roads that aren't setup to handle water.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally valley metro gets what it deserves.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

revmoo posted:

Yeah I'm not too worried about it, especially since my car doesn't have any knock sensors (SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING)

:hf: knock sensors are for inferior driving machines :smugdog:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

:hf: knock sensors are for inferior driving machines :smugdog:

BMW has done some cool poo poo with knock sensing over the past 10 years using the spark plugs to measure the charge of the ions in the flame front. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

There's a station I've been to that has 87, 89, diesel, and E-85.

:wtc:

Isn't E-85 the rough equivalent of 98 or 100 octane? Assuming you're driving something made in the last decade with a fuel system that can handle it, anyways...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geoj posted:

Isn't E-85 the rough equivalent of 98 or 100 octane? Assuming you're driving something made in the last decade with a fuel system that can handle it, anyways...

96-ish AKI but if you want to make the same power you're going to be needing a lot more fuel as there is something like 30% less energy in a gallon of E85 vs gas.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm just speculating that "E-85 is better than 91/93 from a detonation standpoint" might be their logic for not having a 91/93 pump. If you were to roll in on fumes in something requiring premium that has a fuel system capable of handling it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, gotcha :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geoj posted:

You're going to need more than just "something recent" with a fuel system that isn't hurt by ethonal to run E-85. Most cars won't be able to handle 85% ethanol without a re-tune and possibly bigger injectors at minimum.

Cars that are built for E85 have multiple engine maps that can adapt to the lower powered fuel. Most vehicles out there aren't going to run properly at all.

You would be better off putting midgrade in and letting the computer adapt to that than putting E85 in. The former just involves pulling timing, the later is a completely different air/fuel map.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 4, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bull3964 posted:

You're going to need more than just "something recent" with a fuel system that isn't hurt by ethonal to run E-85. Most cars won't be able to handle 85% ethanol without a re-tune and possibly bigger injectors at minimum.

Cars that are built for E85 have multiple engine maps that can adapt to the lower powered fuel. Most vehicles out there aren't going to run properly at all.

You would be better off putting midgrade in and letting the computer adapt to that than putting E85 in. The former just involves pulling timing, the later is a completely different air/fuel map.

This. An engine not specifically rated to run E85 will not run properly on it, and it could damage your fuel system. You'd be doing your engine a favor by running 89 octane, rather than corngas.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BlackMK4 posted:

96-ish AKI but if you want to make the same power you're going to be needing a lot more fuel as there is something like 30% less energy in a gallon of E85 vs gas.

There's only 15% less gas in a gallon of e85, so unless ethanol has the same energy density as gas but in negative energy, that's probably an exaggeration.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cakefool posted:

There's only 15% less gas in a gallon of e85, so unless ethanol has the same energy density as gas but in negative energy, that's probably an exaggeration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

quote:

1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline.

The energy content of 1.0 US gallon of ethanol is 76,100 BTU, compared to 114,100 BTU for gasoline. (see chart above)

A flex-fuel vehicle will experience 72% of the fuel mileage MPG when using E85 (85% ethanol) products as compared to 100% gasoline. Simple calculations of the BTU values of the ethanol and the gasoline indicate the reduced heat values available to the internal combustion engine. Pure ethanol provides 2/3 of the heat value available in pure gasoline.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bull3964 posted:

Again...

Geoj posted:

just speculating that "E-85 is better than 91/93 from a detonation standpoint" might be their logic for not having a 91/93 pump.

...which I posted 10 minutes before your edit. Not saying that if you have a vehicle that needs premium you should run E-85 by choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geoj posted:

Again...

...which I posted 10 minutes before your edit. Not saying that if you have a vehicle that needs premium you should run E-85 by choice.

But what I'm saying is E85 isn't even the better option if the best you have on the gasoline side is 89 or 87. Those would be less likely to break something than E85.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cakefool posted:

There's only 15% less gas in a gallon of e85.

I think you have things backwards, e85 means 85% ethanol, not 85% gas.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

VOR LOC posted:

Christ that sounds like the most German engine ever. There is a BMW engineer with a cutaway of this engine hung on his wall with the caption "Perfection" or some bullshit.

It's a very simple design. Watch this to better understand it: http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IOwnCalculus posted:

Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Road Failures

I love how the driver's popped open the engine inspection panel.

"Yep, looks like the engine's flooded."

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

`Nemesis posted:

That's the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge in Green Bay, WI.

Chemical contamination in the soil caused the concrete to basically fail and the sag was indeed sudden.
It's worse than that: the base of the pylons basically disintegrated and slipped off of the footing blocks. The DOT inspected the rest of the bridge, and found that most of the rest will have the same thing happen eventually.

And yes, that section sagged literally overnight. The 911 calls that they played on TV were pretty funny.

`Nemesis posted:

The bridge carries I-43 so it's likely a 55 mph zone there.
Freeways might be 55 wherever you live, but on I43 it's 65 the whole way (and hopefully faster, soon).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BlackMK4 posted:

We've had a lot of flooding lately here in Arizona - heavy rains, ground chemistry that doesn't see much water so it doesn't absorb but rather floats on top, and roads that aren't setup to handle water.

I also used to live in Arizona and yeah, the floods are surprising. One thing they warn you about is being out in the desert when there's a thunderstorm, even if it's not in your area. You'll be standing in the sun and see a storm off in the distance, and figure you're okay, and then half an hour later BAM a flood comes out of nowhere and washes you into a canyon and you drown. What's happened is the rain falling in the distance wasn't able to soak into the baked, hard-dried earth, so it just ran whichever way was downhill and ended up at your location in a big mass all of a sudden.

The desert is a strange place.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sagebrush posted:

The desert is a strange place.

The storms in Costa Rica were like this. Goes from "oh look, rain" to "holy poo poo water flowing all around my car why didn't anyone tell me about this" in about a minute

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Content and an update picture on the 300SD

Popped right outta the crimped connection.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
The state of Tennessee seems to have some sort of weird hardon for non-ethanol gasoline. When I lived in middle-of-nowhere NC ten miles from the nearest little hick town (which was in Tennessee) the gas station there made a big point of promoting their gas had no ethanol, and it was significantly cheaper than ordinary e-10 in NC. Since I was always driving around out of boredom, I would fill up there, though it really made no perceptible difference.

Recently I visited the hellhole known as Knoxville, TN, and was surprised to see that Conoco stations there charge a small premium over other stations, but later noticed they too make a point of the fact that they sell non-ethanol gasoline. The Conocos always had a lot of cars there filling up, so someone must care. I guess it would be nice to have the option of non-ethanol gas for use in stuff like outdoor power equipment. If I was unfortunate enough to have to live in that god-forsaken shithole corpse of a city, I'd probably drop the extra $3 a tank on real gasoline, but thank christ I stay the gently caress away from there. Knoxville is tied with Dillon, SC as the shittiest place I've ever been.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If there are older vehicles there, that's probably a big part of it. Carbs prior to sometime in the 90s have a higher zinc content, which ethanol erodes...also a lot of the rubber lines and older gaskets and diaphragms, etc. All the current replacement stuff will work, but if you haven't replaced all of it, it'll erode poo poo and leave deposits all over the place.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's the water the ethanol carries (up to .5 percent by volume, a few ounces possible per fillup) that forms zinc oxide, but you're otherwise correct. And the ethanol itself can mess with rubbers.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

If there are older vehicles there, that's probably a big part of it. Carbs prior to sometime in the 90s have a higher zinc content, which ethanol erodes...also a lot of the rubber lines and older gaskets and diaphragms, etc. All the current replacement stuff will work, but if you haven't replaced all of it, it'll erode poo poo and leave deposits all over the place.

That would make sense in the first case, I was driving a fuel-injected Volvo 240 at the time (~2009) and the LH-2.4 injection was presumably designed for pure gasoline and didn't care, but there were a ton of old country-boy trucks with carbs driving around. This was Johnson County, TN, best known for that song about moonshining called Copperhead Road, from the 80s.

Knoxville is also full of redneck shitmobiles, so it's probably a mix of them and people like me who would pay the extra money for real gas as well. Mystery solved.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrYenko posted:

This. An engine not specifically rated to run E85 will not run properly on it, and it could damage your fuel system. You'd be doing your engine a favor by running 89 octane, rather than corngas.

How about those (cheaper) "Flex Fuel Kits" that claim to make your car run fine on E85? I always figured they were bullshit.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It really depends on your car. An acquaintance ran his unmodified Volvo 740 (non-turbo) on about 40% E85 (34% ethanol) for two years with no problems. Changed his injectors to Bosch Orange (310cc/min), and with no further changes he fills it with straight E85 and has done so for a couple of years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

With an older car and an injector swap, I can see that working, as long as you consistently use the same fuel.

The kit I linked basically causes the injectors to fire twice (the second time being a shorter pulse) instead of once every time the ECU commands them to fire - the reasoning behind that logic is the ECU will realize "poo poo's rich, better cut back" if you're running on actual gasoline, and run normal if it's on E-85. I know GM's Ecotec ECUs are rather picky and tend to toss a CEL if you do so much as add a header + catback.. or even fart near the MAF.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Nice collection of Oil field related failures from the OSHA.jpg thread
http://imgur.com/r/oilfieldfails/new/

edit: hadn't looked though it all before posting, there is a :nws: graphic image of someone with a an entire finger striped to the bone quite a way in

freelop fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

two forty posted:

Recently I visited the hellhole known as Knoxville, TN, and was surprised to see that Conoco stations there charge a small premium over other stations, but later noticed they too make a point of the fact that they sell non-ethanol gasoline. The Conocos always had a lot of cars there filling up, so someone must care. I guess it would be nice to have the option of non-ethanol gas for use in stuff like outdoor power equipment. If I was unfortunate enough to have to live in that god-forsaken shithole corpse of a city, I'd probably drop the extra $3 a tank on real gasoline, but thank christ I stay the gently caress away from there. Knoxville is tied with Dillon, SC as the shittiest place I've ever been.

two forty posted:

Knoxville is also full of redneck shitmobiles, so it's probably a mix of them and people like me who would pay the extra money for real gas as well. Mystery solved.

That is one good thing about living near Knoxville, even the lovely little gas stations in the middle of no where will have an ethanol free pump. Usually charge a bit more for it but I always pay the extra for the older cars that don't get driven as often. But yes otherwise Knoxville, especially downtown is loving terrible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's a very simple design. Watch this to better understand it: http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder/

That is actually an opposed piston opposed cylinder version, more like a boxer with added gizmos... here is an opposed piston single cylinder engine.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

two forty posted:

If I was unfortunate enough to have to live in that god-forsaken shithole corpse of a city, I'd probably drop the extra $3 a tank on real gasoline, but thank christ I stay the gently caress away from there. Knoxville is tied with Dillon, SC as the shittiest place I've ever been.

Its not THAT bad here. :smith:

Also what part of Knoxville? I don't think I've ever seen/noticed a Conoco around here. Its mostly Exxons, Weigel's, and Pilots. There are one or two Marathons as well. Texaco and Phillips 66 pulled out years ago for whatever reason.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

That is actually an opposed piston opposed cylinder version, more like a boxer with added gizmos... here is an opposed piston single cylinder engine.

A truly phallic engine. Mechanical success.

I also looked up where around here has real gas. It's all marinas. I know it's a big deal for boaters because ethanol does some bad poo poo to fiberglass gas tanks/seals/hoses...etc not to mention boat gas can sit for weeks and months at a time.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

And after a short bit of time that clogs the gently caress out of cats in cars.

Our office had a Navajo which we used primarily for shuttling prisoners around. That plane always had an issue with the outboard tanks picking up water, as the plane was not stored in a hangar. Any time he had to drain those tanks our pilot would save the contaminated fuel, run it through a water separator then we'd dump it into whatever vehicles were nearby - usually the vans. Excess fuel made it into other things as well.

tip : mowers and weedwhackers run sweet on 100LL.

We lost the plane several years ago, ditched in the sea while on approach with a full load of pax. (No fatalities, only minor injuries.)

Unofficial cause : loss of power in both engines due to contaminated fuel. :ironicat:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bajaha posted:

I think you have things backwards, e85 means 85% ethanol, not 85% gas.

Despite knowing what's in B100, I never realised this :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

buttcrackmenace posted:

tip : mowers and weedwhackers run sweet on 100LL.

My dad would always pick up a bottle of Instead O'Lead and run it in the lawnmowers once the ethanol mixes became prevalent. Really helped even things out.