Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's probably just safe to say on the whole that most of the things people liked about Abyss had the opposite effect for me. The parts of the script some found ambitious and clever I just thought were forced and melodramatic, and the darker parts of the plot kept dropping into farce. The triple whammy of Act I Luke, Mieu, and Ion didn't help my initial impressions either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Immediately responding to a child's death with self-concerned whining and deflection is bad, imo

On the other hand, expecting someone to be able to immediately accept they just murdered a town of thousands is also extremely unreasonable.

Nobody comes out of that scene looking very good and I think at least a few of the characters ended up reflecting on it and coming to understand that at least a bit (Guy and Tear, maybe Jade too?).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the things you liked about vesperia didn't work for me :twisted:

except rita. rita was cool. push yuri into a river and let estelle be the protagonist with her sidekick rita, imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

the things you liked about vesperia didn't work for me :twisted:

except rita. rita was cool. push yuri into a river and let estelle be the protagonist with her sidekick rita, imo

It's still so bizarre that one of Vesperia's pivotal plot points has Yuri unironically repeating word-for-word a character motivation he openly rebuked a few hours ago and it's never pointed out by the game itself.

Vesperia's character interactions were aces but it feels like two different scripts awkwardly welded together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the other hand, expecting someone to be able to immediately accept they just murdered a town of thousands is also extremely unreasonable.

Nobody comes out of that scene looking very good and I think at least a few of the characters ended up reflecting on it and coming to understand that at least a bit (Guy and Tear, maybe Jade too?).
Pretty much everyone does. By the end of the game Jade's calling Luke a trusted friend and sharing his own guilt with him (It's never explicitly stated, because Abyss only likes explicitly stating how the magic system works, but Jade probably reacted so harshly partly because he saw a lot of his own childhood self in Luke's reaction. Luke was convinced he was invincible, hurt a lot of people, and pushed away the people who could've helped him. Jade was convinced he was invincible, killed his teacher, and pushed Dist away.), Anise has matured into a person who's intensely aware of her own flaws and is trying to improve them, and Guy and Tear make up with him within like 3 hours.

The only person who doesn't have a big arc about that is Natalia, but then, Natalia wasn't that harsh on him during that scene to begin with - she was pretty focused on Asch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Guy and Tear do pretty quickly, and Jade and Anise have a couple of skits talking about how they misjudged Luke and admiring how he is actually doing everything he can to make up for it. They don't tell Luke this because they're jerks, but the sentiment is there. Natalia's the one who doesn't get much focus on it but she was the only member of the party not keeping secrets and her reprimanding of Luke basically came down to "you're like a completely different person than when you were a kid" which is completely accurate. So I don't blame her for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Another cool part of the Akzerituth scene is that Mieu is the only one who understands what Luke's going through and sympathises with him for it because he also accidentally killed a punch of people and got ostracised by his friends and family for it. And it's very weird in a way I enjoy that the annoying mascot character is the one trying to level with the main protagonist over their shared experience of accidental murder.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phantasium posted:

Oh yeah, does Berseria still block recording like 99% of the game? Or did only localized Zestiria do that?

Because that was lame as gently caress.

Yes. It sucks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

laaaaaaame

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I would have livetweeted this game so much. I don't get this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Probably some draconian japanese copyright law as usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

american developers do it too. it's just developers being dumb.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway I feel like there's a chance Berseria will also have these conversations because early Velvet is also a pretty awful person, she's just surrounded by pretty good+entertaining foils. And Phi, who is not a foil but is still a good counterbalance as well as a softening agent. That process begins pretty quickly, too, so that helps.

I keep forgetting to say aloud how much I think Rina Sato's performance makes certain critical parts of Berseria. I really hope the dub does that justice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think part of the reaction to abyss is the specific ways in which luke is awful. luke is awful in that he's a coward, he's petty, he's annoying, and he's a brat. velvet is awful in that she's violent, cruel, and amoral. luke is outright unpleasant to spend time with - which is part of the point, but it doesn't exactly make you sit down and want to spend 80 hours with him. velvet isn't an unpleasant character, even when she's at her worst. She's not a good person, but she's still pretty engaging and charismatic. She banters with Magilou, she taunts Rokurou. Luke just whines at, uh, everyone.

And unlike Luke, who requires a pretty huge shock to the system to break out of it, Velvet's growth is more gradual, and you can see that she isn't quite as much of a villain as she likes to pretend to be pretty early on.

Not to mention, there's the village segment at the start where Velvet is just a normal girl, which makes you more primed to sympathize with her since you can actively see her struggles and how she got to where she is at the start of the plot, as opposed to Luke just whining about how nobody's told him anything.

I think they're definitely playing with similar ideas, but there are a lot of reasons why I don't think anyone will be posting about how much they hate Velvs in the early game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Caphi posted:

I would have livetweeted this game so much. I don't get this.

at least the localized version gets a pc release

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I obviously haven't played Berseria, but I understand why someone might bounce off of Luke's character arc, especially considering the length of the game. Luke doesn't even get better though consistent upward progress, or at least it doesn't happen quickly: he starts off a poo poo, shows a few bright points here and there, acts like a major poo poo, and gets broken down. From there he resolves to become a better person, but by the end of Act 2 he still hasn't figured out who he wants to be or ascribed any meaning to his life, and doesn't fully achieve that until the very end of the game. In comparison to another JRPG where a dude acts like a poo poo but learns to become a better person, TWEWY places Neku's lowest points very early in Week 1, and by the end of Day 7 he's accepted Shiki as a valued friend. He's made a big stride towards becoming a better person, and the next two weeks are about dealing with the conflict, loss, and betrayal that come with being open to people. Abyss' take isn't necessarily worse, but I can see how it might rub people the wrong way cropping up in their slicey-diecy action-RPG, especially when it comes in the form of a long-rear end game with pacing issues.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 7, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i think part of the reaction to abyss is the specific ways in which luke is awful. luke is awful in that he's a coward, he's petty, he's annoying, and he's a brat. velvet is awful in that she's violent, cruel, and amoral. luke is outright unpleasant to spend time with - which is part of the point, but it doesn't exactly make you sit down and want to spend 80 hours with him. velvet isn't an unpleasant character, even when she's at her worst. She's not a good person, but she's still pretty engaging and charismatic. She banters with Magilou, she taunts Rokurou. Luke just whines at, uh, everyone.

And unlike Luke, who requires a pretty huge shock to the system to break out of it, Velvet's growth is more gradual, and you can see that she isn't quite as much of a villain as she likes to pretend to be pretty early on.

Not to mention, there's the village segment at the start where Velvet is just a normal girl, which makes you more primed to sympathize with her since you can actively see her struggles and how she got to where she is at the start of the plot, as opposed to Luke just whining about how nobody's told him anything.

I think they're definitely playing with similar ideas, but there are a lot of reasons why I don't think anyone will be posting about how much they hate Velvs in the early game.

That is all fair and Tales of Berseria is very good. I still want to talk about Sato though because her shouting is very good, and the difference she draws between regular Velvet and village mode Velvet and big sis Velvet and trauma depressed Velvet is amazing and the script does good things with it.

From a shouting standpoint Velvet's endgame is kind of a wash because on the one hand there are basically no opportunities to use Ambivalence, the best Consume Claw finisher in this and all other categories, but on the other hand it's all you can eat on Hell Claw and Impulse Desire.

Which reminds me, another reason I want a break from these very fast frenzied LMBSs - they tend to a lot of omitted or abbreviated spell incantations outside of Mystic Artes, and I love some dumb tryhard magical chanting. I'm glad we finally got Indignation back but I kind of wanted it as a regular spell, and now all the more in a game that has room for an extended poem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pretty much all the jp voice cast is amazing, yeah. Sato is superb, but the, uh, other Sato...

Man, their names are even spelled the same way. Apparently no relation, too. It's weird. Then again, I guess it's not exactly an uncommon name.

Anyway, I was really impressed with Magilou's va. She's easily the kind of character that could have been grating, but I thought Satomi Sato did an excellent job keeping her on the fun side of annoying. Hopefully the dub nails that, too. I'll be sure to report on when/if the simuldub for Zesty the X gets to the Berseria episodes.

Anyway, the best combat shouting is Magilou's mystic artes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Does Laura Bailey still do anime games?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Does Laura Bailey still do anime games?

she still does her legacy roles like chun-li, but she hasn't taken on a new job in that area in a while.

so, like, michelle ruff? michelle ruff could be our velvet.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
All the voice work is pretty solid, I just think Velvet did a very good job with a lot of very sensitive scenes. Though yeah, Satomi Sato gets a bunch of really good ones too "If Velvet could do it, surely I can!" and also delivers every silly line perfectly. ナッガレボシ~*

I mean I probably like all the performances because I like all the characters. Bienfu is pushing it a little.

* I hope you like the voice clip for Tamayura, and I hope you still like it in English, because you'll probably be doing it a lot if you want to complete Chamballoon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I honestly came around on Bienfu as a character, he had some amazing skits, but yeah his voice, uh, never improved. I hope the dub dials him back a bit.

Or give him a deep male voice with a sexy french accent. That'd be hilarious.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think a high, sort of squeaky male voice would actually be best for Bienfu, but the Teepo voice would be perfectly functional assuming it didn't sound too much like Phi's. But I do want them to dial back his dumb accent, however they translate it.

e: to clarify I meant that I am also good with where Bienfu ended up as a character but his voice is bad.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Laura Bailey could do a great Velvet.

I don't actually know anything about Velvet, but Laura Bailey could voice-act a table lamp and make it the best performance in the script.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My favorite Bienfu skit is the one where he goes to Grimoire for help and she says something like like "Oh, are we having a chit-chat the night before the final battle? That's for young couples who are embarrassingly in love."

But the rest of the skit is also legitimately good and sweet and Bienfu is good in it.

I want to talk more about Grimoire and I can't, but you talk about how Berseria has amazing NPCs, and everyone is thinking of Dyle because he's the one everyone knows about from the magazines and because he's a lizardman ha ha ha (Dyle is a good character though), but I thought Grimoire was going to be a one-off plot helper from the trial version and then she was one of my favorite characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's insane how many good characters berseria has. the npcs popping up in a few skits helps a lot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Let's have Minae Noji come back and do the voice for english Velvet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Let's have Minae Noji come back and do the voice for english Velvet.
minae noji was really good as milla but idk if she could do velvet's voice

and i think doing a jrpg was just a weird thing she did once for kicks since she hasn't done anything else like it

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway upon a bit of reflection on the Stairway to Heaven, I still think it's an uncompelling hook and I'm a little pessimistic that it's going to result in anything but obnoxious villains and another overplotted prophecy story, but I also think it's set up to bring closure to both Phi's and Sorey's dreams/motivations that they've built (well, nominally) over the last two games.

I say all this mainly to explain why I think they're planning to do one more Wasteland game after all. :sigh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if the hook is for tales of zestiria the x, and that show goes somewhere completely crazy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, also, berseria is getting a manga, so i looked up the artist, and

i can see how they got this job...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
that is a oddly specific torn area on his pants

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

oh, also, berseria is getting a manga, so i looked up the artist, and

i can see how they got this job...

i thought he had three legs at first

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erg posted:

i thought he had three legs at first

Heh, well

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was browsing the Aselia wiki looking at the Titles in Abyss (because someone had the genius idea to never state their effect in game), and I suddenly came across tales_of_sidequests.txt

quote:

• after Chesedonia sinks, go to Engeve in the Qliphoth and then go to the inn.
  • go to Kaitzur (South) and inside the first house on left
  • go to Engeve, this time to Rose's house.
  • go to Kaitzur (North) and speak to Frings
  • go to Kaitzur Naval Port, enter the Kimlasca Base there to get Cecille's Sword to give to Frings.
  • go to Engeve and into Rose's house to get Frings' Letter
  • go to Kaitzur Naval Port, Kimlasca Base
  • go to Chesedonia, Astor's mansion for the Memento Ring
  • go to Kaitzur (North), talk to with Frings.
  • go to Kaitzur Naval Port, Kimlasca Base.
  • after the Peace Treaty is signed, go to Kimlascan Base in the Kaitzur Naval Port
  • after defeating Van when in Baticul, talk to Cecille at Port Baticul
  • after Natalia rejoins after the Absorption Gate, talk to Cecille at Port Baticul
  • after clearing the Tower of Rem, go to Tower of Rem and go inside for a scene with Cecille
Maybe it's just me, but this massive list (to get one of Guy's costume titles) is just really funny for some reason. Naturally, everything here is time sensitive, and don't forget that for about half of these steps, you're supposed to stumble upon them yourselves, with no prior guidance.

Have we actually had anything like this since Graces? I don't remember any, and we actually have a quest log now too so even if such a thing did exist it at least couldn't be this bad.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Oxxidation posted:

It's still so bizarre that one of Vesperia's pivotal plot points has Yuri unironically repeating word-for-word a character motivation he openly rebuked a few hours ago and it's never pointed out by the game itself.

Vesperia's character interactions were aces but it feels like two different scripts awkwardly welded together.

That's how I felt too. It was very disjointed.

Ironically your point about a point being passed over was passed over.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amppelix posted:

I was browsing the Aselia wiki looking at the Titles in Abyss (because someone had the genius idea to never state their effect in game), and I suddenly came across tales_of_sidequests.txt
Maybe it's just me, but this massive list (to get one of Guy's costume titles) is just really funny for some reason. Naturally, everything here is time sensitive, and don't forget that for about half of these steps, you're supposed to stumble upon them yourselves, with no prior guidance.

Have we actually had anything like this since Graces? I don't remember any, and we actually have a quest log now too so even if such a thing did exist it at least couldn't be this bad.

The real kicker about this sidequest is that his costume looks like poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

There were a few easily missable sidequests in Zestiria, but nothing that bad. Or major.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Amppelix posted:

This exact quest got my friend to quit the game, because the load times of the PS2 version were a nightmare.

I'm sure it's fine on the 3ds version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why would you quit a game over an optional side quest?