Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

I think he was talking about Josie

:doh:

well in that case I have no defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This is awesome, thank you! For some reason I could only get d/f1,4,2 to connect after the dash and when it whiffed it always looked like I was too far. Must've just been a timing thing!

I've been using the b4,3,4 ender at the wall, it requires a certain height but I thought it was max damage? Might be a good idea to add it even though it's situational

Oh yeah one other good note for any character is that you can generally combo the rage art in after the S! I don't know what the right balance between scaling and damage is though because I don't know they have a minimum scaling like in SF or something.

So for example you can hit any standard launcher into f3,4,f2,3,4 S! then rage art. I usually dash in then rage art but maybe it's the same problem I had with d/f1,2,4 and you don't need the dash?

After a d/f+2 bnb wallsplat I could only get 72 damage with b4,3,4. 2,4,SWS4 does 79 (whiffs on Eliza), f3 u/f+3+4 does 76 and d/f+4,SWS4 does 75 and is the most reliable, it seems like. Testing Rage Art damage is a pain since it scales with health remaining and I don't think there's a way to set your health in training mode.

Your Computer posted:

I'm not sure I can play Josie after all... even if you skip the Win cutscene, the audio will still play and I die a little inside every time her "I can't believe I won :qq:" voiceline plays. Oh and also because I'm ridiculously bad at her and even the CPU is owning the hell out of me.

Speaking of being bad, I'm trying to use more movement and I just get so badly punished for it (again, even by the CPU). Sidesteps feel completely worthless, even a jab tracks enough to hit you? And when I try to backstep, most of the time I'm hit in between the b taps. I just can't get used to movement in this game, it's so clunky.

Yeah, that win animation is dire, I might seriously consider double dipping if someone mods that out. Sounds like you're doing the right things at the wrong time, side stepping takes time so you probably want to do it slightly further away to bait slower moves. Instead of thinking about movement as a purely defensive option, try using it when you have the frame advantage (when your poke hits or you block their poke/string). Honestly, practicing this against the AI might not be very useful because it tends to do things arbitrarily whenever it's not reading your inputs.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tank top and karate bottom Feng looks ready to dominate inferior martial art styles. That he does.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

dangerdoom volvo posted:

imagine caring that much about a winscreen

i dont like bryan's win animation where he mounts the other person and pummels them :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

i dont like bryan's win animation where he mounts the other person and pummels them :(

You mean murders them?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

its hella badass dude

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like your win animation consider pressing Start during it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Meridian posted:

You mean murders them?

this is the world of Tekken, where dudes can get thrown into volcanoes and catch bullets with their teeth

those punches are probably just light tickles. it is still very mean spirited and I wish bryan was a nice boy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brosnan posted:

If you don't like your win animation consider pressing Start during it.

I play with sound on so even if I skip it I still to listen to the awful voice acting :v:

Meridian posted:

Tank top and karate bottom Feng looks ready to dominate inferior martial art styles. That he does.

every Feng looks ready to dominate inferior martial art styles. I like Feng.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Bryan is not a very nice man ok, in fact he's a zombie cyborg and if the same happened to you maybe you'd also be a huge jerk!!!!!!!!!!!

OH WAIT YOU ALREADY ARE

:boom:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Your Computer posted:

I play with sound on so even if I skip it I still to listen to the awful voice acting :v:

Everything you post makes me want to tell you to pick up Gigas because he's got really simple moves and doesn't cry when he wins or loses. He just makes this growling noise.

Grrrrrraahrrrrr.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The voice acting is great in this game

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

this is the world of Tekken, where dudes can get thrown into volcanoes and catch bullets with their teeth

those punches are probably just light tickles. it is still very mean spirited and I wish bryan was a nice boy

But Bryan is a really angry robotman.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Everything you post makes me want to tell you to pick up Gigas because he's got really simple moves and doesn't cry when he wins or loses. He just makes this growling noise.

Grrrrrraahrrrrr.

Play Law because I've heard exactly one line from him and the rest are Bruce Lee screams.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Bryan is a member of the Bullet Club, so he's a jerk gaijin heel.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In Training posted:

The voice acting is great in this game

I really like that everyone understands every language.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Fighting is hard and stressful. Let her cry a bit!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PunkBoy posted:

Bryan is a member of the Bullet Club, so he's a jerk gaijin heel.

Ever since Tekken 3 I've just wanted SOMEONE to admit Bryan is based on Stephen Lang in The Hard Way.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Meridian posted:

I really like that everyone understands every language.

Including jaguar and bear

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Gotta admit, this is the most fun I've had with a Tekken in a long time. I've clicked with Kazumi, but damned if I know what her decent strings are. I'm mostly beating scrubs with nothing but whiff punishing and ~50-60 damage combos.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Shockeh posted:

Gotta admit, this is the most fun I've had with a Tekken in a long time. I've clicked with Kazumi, but damned if I know what her decent strings are. I'm mostly beating scrubs with nothing but whiff punishing and ~50-60 damage combos.

1,1,2 is a pretty big deal, practice hit confirming it and you'll be good to go

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress chars who have 112 and gently caress you too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Your Computer posted:

Before release I wanted to play her because she sounded cool and I like her character design, but then I saw those animations and I just... why, Japan, why :negative: I'd pay money for a voice/animation pack that made her act less anime (yeah that's not happening is it...)

Yeah but don't worry you can buy this maid costume.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Throwing a 2+3 rolly tiger is 30 damage and catches people off guard. b3+4 seems better than regular backdashing.

The thing that took me a minute to figure out with her is the f3 fly move. I was hitting f3 then hitting and holding forward. Hold forward with a 3 at the front is way easier than timing two weird forwards

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Brosnan posted:

gently caress chars who have 112 and gently caress you too.

What's a 112? Just like, a 1, 1, 2 canned string? Is there a reason in particular why it's annoying?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

What's a 112? Just like, a 1, 1, 2 canned string? Is there a reason in particular why it's annoying?

It's a really powerful string - you can hit confirm it (i.e. if it's blocked you don't do the 2, so you're safe on block), it does a lot of damage, 10 frame startup, etc. Generally it's a thing for Mishima characters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's been my go to with Kazumi. 11 backdash or SS if blocked, do a low, or confirm it if it lands.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Ahhh, cool, thanks.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello, do you want to practice Korean Backdash? Of course you do. You should try to do 2 (pretty good) or 3 (even better). Here's how you can set up your training regimen to do so!

1. Pick a character without a sway
2. Pick a Mishima as your opponent (I used Heihachi since it's easy)
3. Set CPU action to do 1,1,2 on NORMAL interval. This move is also listed in the movelist, so if you can't push those buttons for some reason you can make the dummy run that move instead.
4. Begin playback.
4a. If you can get 2 backdashes in, only the 2 will connect and you will block.
4b. If you can get 3 backdashes in, the string will whiff.
4c. If you messed up with input, you will either eat the 2 (as it's mid and you're caught in d/b).
4d. If you messed up because you're too slow, you will block the second and third hit
5. To increase difficulty, set frequency to SHORT interval.
5a. The above caveats apply for checking your progress (4a thru 4d)

Alternately,

1. Pick a character with a sway, such as Paul
2. Attempt to do 2 backdashes consecutively without swaying.
3. Attempt to do 3 backdashes consecutively without swaying.

Using a sway character is useful to enforce good stick habit because the "shortcut" way is to do b,b,qcb,b instead of b,b,d/b,b.

More in-depth learning drills can also be found here:

http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/17/this-is-the-year-you-will-learn-how-to-perform-tekkens-korean-backdash/

Positioning for your hand/fingers can be found in the above link, also an old Aris video that clearly demonstrates positioning for 1P side. 2P side good luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLp3Y0PdV94

2P side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGee7eL9Vrk

Please learn good movement fundamentals. Thank you!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Your Computer posted:

I should never have tried to play without hopkicks, I'm realizing how ridiculously bad I am at anything that's not "throw out hopkick and hope the enemy runs into it" and it's disheartening as gently caress. I just lost three matches in a row against easy CPUs in treasure mode and I'm quickly transforming into an industrial salt factory. Please send aid.

Before release I wanted to play her because she sounded cool and I like her character design, but then I saw those animations and I just... why, Japan, why :negative: I'd pay money for a voice/animation pack that made her act less anime (yeah that's not happening is it...)

Who cares how you do against the AI, the only thing it teaches you is how to remember combos against a moving target

If you're already watching videos of high level players, there's a good chance you're not watching them with the right mindset. You need to be actively looking for things that they do that you don't, and also things they don't do but you do. Identify situations like neutral, bring under pressure, oki, being at the wall, etc. and put yourself in their shoes. What would you have done and what did they do? How did this situation arise in the first place and how are they reacting?

If you want to spectate good players, that's one thing, but if you really observe and try to learm, you can speed up your own process of getting your rear end kicked a lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

aldantefax posted:

Please learn good movement fundamentals. Thank you!

This is the second most informative thing I've learned from the Tekken discord today.

The first was that you can use the Windows key to move your mouse cursor to the second monitor without having to tab out of a fullscreen program on your first

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arzachel posted:

After a d/f+2 bnb wallsplat I could only get 72 damage with b4,3,4. 2,4,SWS4 does 79 (whiffs on Eliza), f3 u/f+3+4 does 76 and d/f+4,SWS4 does 75 and is the most reliable, it seems like. Testing Rage Art damage is a pain since it scales with health remaining and I don't think there's a way to set your health in training mode.

Yeah, that win animation is dire, I might seriously consider double dipping if someone mods that out. Sounds like you're doing the right things at the wrong time, side stepping takes time so you probably want to do it slightly further away to bait slower moves. Instead of thinking about movement as a purely defensive option, try using it when you have the frame advantage (when your poke hits or you block their poke/string). Honestly, practicing this against the AI might not be very useful because it tends to do things arbitrarily whenever it's not reading your inputs.

Ah nice, for some reason I had it in my head that it was optimal damage but depended on wall height?

That's really good to know, thanks for testing it out!

And yeah agreed 100% there, if someone mods out Josie's weird crying win/battle starting animation I'd happily double dip and get the PC version ASAP. She's such a fun character with awesome animations, it's a shame that they anime-d her up so badly. Still not gonna stop rocking her though.

That's a really good way of thinking of it re: sidestepping. My movement is awful so I basically have no idea how to sidestep. Luckily my spacing is almost ok so I've beaten a few people that were KBD-ing and sidestepping all over the place by simply poking them out and pressing the right advantage + confirming into combos.

As a side note, I swear every other Josie I run into online has the intro screen art of her crying as well. There's so many better choices whyyy

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I watched the combo breaker finals to learn some Dragunov stuff and it's their playing a whole different game :stare:

Effective sidestepping is some arcane mystery to me. I can't fathom figuring out which moves you can sidestep, let alone executing a launcher afterwards

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
if i complain about anime no one will ever suspect how horny i am

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hello I haven't touched tekken since T3 and back then everyone got buttmad about Eddy Gordo because he twirled and people didn't know wtf for a while. Has this changed in any way, this is sort of really important thanks in advance.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
E: ^^

Lucky Chloe - Why.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tap my mountain posted:

I watched the combo breaker finals to learn some Dragunov stuff and it's their playing a whole different game :stare:

Effective sidestepping is some arcane mystery to me. I can't fathom figuring out which moves you can sidestep, let alone executing a launcher afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncCRFrZeAXY

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aoGy7svG80

I made a video.
Enjoyment purposes only because it doesn't explain poo poo and does things that only work on newbie levels.

I like this. I like this very much.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

That's a much simpler concept than I expected. I'll start paying more attention to which side they swing from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah that video is pretty good. So one more question about sidestepping. It might be a dumb distinction to make, but are you mostly sidestepping on reaction or pre-emptively?