Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
soon the shout out will be saga emerald. saga emerald! saga emerald!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Oh isn’t it that fake out title Final Fantasy Legend I and II that fooled me as a kid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Oh isn’t it that fake out title Final Fantasy Legend I and II that fooled me as a kid.

(inhaling through teeth)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SaGa is short for Super Awesome Game Always.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GateOfD posted:

gah!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
There was a FFL3 too but that one actually was less SaGa and more FFMQ Gaiden

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
FFL3 had just as many obtuse system mechanics as the previous but you could mostly choose not to engage with them so the game as a whole seemed more legible.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The addition of character levels did make monster transformations way simpler, to be fair. You don't even need a guide!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The amount of loot dropping in Bounty Hounds is insane.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, I'm finally trying out the SaGa Emerald Beyond demo and this game rules. Tsunanori's got so many Systems layered on how the team works and also the Kugutsu can mimic your skills too which rules. I'm excited to get the game now and I've only done two battles in the tutorial, I love a game with team combos in it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
does the witch character excel at magic or is she a punch witch

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Junpei posted:

does the witch character excel at magic or is she a punch witch

She does absurd things with spells in the demo, but she gets special weapons that from what I've seen said might scale with the number of cats you've found so I imagine she can be a solid choice for them. Though for martial arts specifically I have no clue.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
'punch witch' was a bit specific i just meant that given the whole 'powers stolen' is she actually reliant on physicals until plot lets her have them back or w/e

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I hope Emerald Beyond will continue Frontier's glorious tradition of having INT govern both magical aptitude AND gun proficiency :blastu:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

They drown you in a bunch of cats at the start, and since progress from the demo is carried over it's not something that's specific to the demo, so Ameya is a pretty good caster after they let you collect a few, which is practically immediately. At most you need to make sure to give her some cat accessories since I think a few of those had spells attached for her. To clarify why I mention the cats again, besides getting special equipment, they also will just outright give her Intelligence increases. Like from the word go Ameya was a more potent spell caster than Macha was.

Alard fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 13, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Anyone played Broken Roads yet? RPS was very dismissive of it (despite the lack of bugs you'd expect in such a fallout inspired game) but I get the impression they didn't get the "Yer, Nah" and "Nah, Yer" making any sense.

Is it Dingo Elysium or is it all Broken?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

microfolk posted:

I hope Emerald Beyond will continue Frontier's glorious tradition of having INT govern both magical aptitude AND gun proficiency :blastu:

It seems like each move has its own unique scaling, which is just part of the description. Like, there are some martial arts that scale on strength, and others that scale on endurance. Different weapon subtypes also seem to generally have different scaling, like basic one-handed melee weapon moves scale on strength, but dagger moves in particular scale on dex. So maybe you just need to find the particular gun that scales on INT.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Comstar posted:

Anyone played Broken Roads yet? RPS was very dismissive of it (despite the lack of bugs you'd expect in such a fallout inspired game) but I get the impression they didn't get the "Yer, Nah" and "Nah, Yer" making any sense.

Is it Dingo Elysium or is it all Broken?

feels like they bit off way more than they could chew & had to throw what they had together in the last few months. combat is very lame, companions are underwritten, narrative is underwhelming, everything feels half-baked. it needs a lot more work imo. some of the bits of dialogue that you can get are fun & the morality system itself is very cool in concept, but the game rn just feels like a mess of ideas that desperately needed to be trimmed down to the things they could do well with the time and resources they actually had.

they probably should've just done a VN with stats and purely focused on their more novel dialogue systems. chasing the DE dragon did them no favors imo, since everyone is now going into the game expecting Dingo Elysium and not getting it.

the devs have responded to a bunch of the negative reviews breaking down that they are aware that there's a fair amount of broken/unfinished stuff and have even posted really extensive notes on what they plan to revamp and fix, so hopefully they have the time and money to flesh this game out, as unlikely as that is. a few of their comments seem to note that they had to make last minute cuts to get the game out while "leaving it open to be finished later" so I guess this is just flat out the furthest they were allowed to delay the game. with another year or two in the oven it could potentially be good, but it needs a near total rework of some of these systems.

as far as the games sold as "Disco Elysium inspired" so far this one is for me a few points below Sovereign Syndicate while priced at $15 more, and nowhere near the quality of Colony Ship, AoD, etc on the general CRPG front. I'd wait for six months of patches and a deep sale.

EDIT: here's a comment from the game director under a negative review that kinda sums up the state the game released in:

quote:

You've also described in very good faith the development troubles we've had and a lot of that we obviously cannot comment on publicly. This has not been easy. At some point when we know where we stand legally, we'll tell as much as we can. (...) We're extremely proud to have reached this point and getting the game out the door despite the challenges we have had. Broken Roads is far from done.

guessing they got hit with the publisher boot or lost team members or something

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 13, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how much of the demo is there? is it timed like Unicorn Overlord was?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

GateOfD posted:

how much of the demo is there? is it timed like Unicorn Overlord was?

For Emerald Beyond? I think it gives you basically 2 full “worlds” which are equivalent to the various regions in Scarlet Grace.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its very SaGa too in regards to that because sometimes you can just quickly stumble through a world after 3 events with how flags work or like really spend a decent chunk of time there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, you’re a bit more gated than in Scarlet Grace because the game (not the demo, the game itself) cuts you off after you reach a certain point in a given world’s sort, but it’s still a lot of gameplay, enough to realize that Emerald Beyond rules.

Also probably worth noting that you’re locked to a specific PC for the demo, which changes based on the platform.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Also there are fights that are not repeatable in the demo that will be repeatable in the full game, supposedly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
martial arts in sg were weird because they used more stats than any other weapon type, no recruitable character had a unique martial arts role, and due to the large number of techs and how glimmering worked filling out the list required a lot of grinding. so there were like 5 moderately okay martial artists you could choose from but no real standouts. also despite all the extra effort, martial arts weren't really that good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

martial arts in sg were weird because they used more stats than any other weapon type, no recruitable character had a unique martial arts role, and due to the large number of techs and how glimmering worked filling out the list required a lot of grinding. so there were like 5 moderately okay martial artists you could choose from but no real standouts. also despite all the extra effort, martial arts weren't really that good.

This is Lewis Darling erasure :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I think I am done with Unicorn Overlord. Its a good game but quasi real time and free form movement are just not what I want out of tactics games. The open world and stuff just doesn't really click with me either. Its a shame because I think the actual squad stuff is really cool.

Like Symphony of War is just obviously a worse game but I get that stuff in turn base and well, that just works better for me lol.

Oh well, got SaGa and Chronciles later this month and those seem much more my speed lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 13, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat KH:DDD. I liked it for the most part. Flowmotion was fun and pet system was Neat. I think the map design was kind of bad though and it felt like KH1 where you sometimes are left wandering screen to screen until you find the next cutscene, although this was mostly just in the first few levels.

The story I think was kind of convoluted. People make fun of KH's story but I think it's mostly super straight forward until this point lol.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

Chrono Ark:

This isn't like an impressive clear or anything, but I just wanted to let it be known how insanely funny it is to have a team revolving around Soul Stigma (debuff on enemy that deals damage every time an ally takes damage) and self damage moves on every character.

thats cool, im gonna try that next run

meanwhile I just got my first expert full clear with a CC/debuff build:

The final boss felt waaay easier than the penultimate boss.The penultimate boss had a bunch of tricks up his sleeve and took me a bunch of tries, while the final boss was a pretty straightfoward damage race and I got him on the first try. Though my build was particularly good agaisnt single enemies so maybe I got lucky in that regard

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

not a great thread title but it's better than the last one at least

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am just happy to be free

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I’m unsure on the status of Colony Ship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

It seems like each move has its own unique scaling, which is just part of the description. Like, there are some martial arts that scale on strength, and others that scale on endurance. Different weapon subtypes also seem to generally have different scaling, like basic one-handed melee weapon moves scale on strength, but dagger moves in particular scale on dex. So maybe you just need to find the particular gun that scales on INT.

Yeah. basically how it works is that while there are a handful of 'weapon types' each of those types has a bunch of subclasses and some of those subclasses have skills that feed off different abilities or are tied to specific subclasses of weapons.

It seems to roughly boil down to:

One-handed weapons: All-around low-BP weapons that focus on moving you around the timeline.
One-handed 'standard' swords tend to focus on strength and seem to be kind of the generic.
One-handed rapiers are mobility and seem to have some form of elemental/status
One-handed daggers are dex and seem to be timeline control/badstats of some sort. (Basically 'ninja'.)
Two-handed swords and weapons focus on defense and big hits.
Two-handed greatswords seem to be standard big hits/strength
Two-handed katanas seem to have a greater focus on counters/interrupts and Dex.
No idea about spears except they seem to scale on Dex.
One-handed guns seem to have a heavy focus on timeline control (interrupts, chains, counters, stuns, etc) with an emphasis on Dex.
Two-handed guns seem to be all about Big Hits (either single or multi-target) and also seem to be about Dex.
Martial Artist focuses on low-BP moves that seem to debuff/delay/otherwise disable enemies, which seems like they'll make great Showstoppers. They also don't seem to have any specific focus stat and come in all types.
There's also mention of Dual-Wielding/One Sword+One Gun stuff that requires a specific Role to use.

But all of that also comes with exceptions and a move doesn't necessarily have to scale off your best stat to be worth using. A magic user will want something to attack right now instead of a few turns down the line if just for combo potential.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm so happy the Emerald Waves led us to this thread title.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in scarlet graces at least i remember spears doing a weird mix of everything and having a few techs that actually use int

ImpAtom posted:

There's also mention of Dual-Wielding/One Sword+One Gun stuff that requires a specific Role to use.

probably a good chance we get a repeat of urpina then for at least one of the characters having a sidequest to get those roles in an easier way

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 14, 2024

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Unicorn Overlord gave me a real itch to play one of the Growlanser games. Which ones are considered the best? I have vague memories of playing Growlanser 2, 3, and 4 but don't remember much of what they were like.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Unicorn Overlord gave me a real itch to play one of the Growlanser games. Which ones are considered the best? I have vague memories of playing Growlanser 2, 3, and 4 but don't remember much of what they were like.

I think 4 is often considered the best, though I think it's also the longest and I never finished it. I liked 2 and 3 about the same, very similar games. The main differences (and I might even be wrong about these) is that 2 has up to 8 party members in battle, while 3/4 have 4 members. 2 is also just battles, cutscenes and menus, while from 3 on there were explorable towns/dungeons as well

1 afaik still isn't available in English, not even a complete fan TL.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

The fan translation for Growlanser 1 is being worked on at least. So it's only a matter of when.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paperhouse posted:

I think 4 is often considered the best, though I think it's also the longest and I never finished it. I liked 2 and 3 about the same, very similar games. The main differences (and I might even be wrong about these) is that 2 has up to 8 party members in battle, while 3/4 have 4 members. 2 is also just battles, cutscenes and menus, while from 3 on there were explorable towns/dungeons as well

1 afaik still isn't available in English, not even a complete fan TL.
Yeah I agree with 4. Emulate it on something PSP and you're good. Story see saws between interesting and whatever. I like 2 a lot too, I think it's well rounded.

3 is when they switched to a voiceless protagonist? I didn't like that and I guess it felt like a step backwards from 2 for me so I never finished it.

All of these games are such a massive backwards step from Unicorn, hope it isn't too painful!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Unicorn was so good..just finished it and got the plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
oh, Visions of Mana is also this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXSZWbYHs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0sil8LWK8