Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My initial thought upon leaving DUNC2 tonight was that Dennis Villeneuve would probably do good adapting the Broken Earth trilogy, and I don’t know what that says about me or about the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

M_Gargantua posted:

My initial thought upon leaving DUNC2 tonight was that Dennis Villeneuve would probably do good adapting the Broken Earth trilogy, and I don’t know what that says about me or about the movie

After going through the plot summaries of the other dune books, I would rather pretend everything stopped after Dune.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After going through the plot summaries of the other dune books, I would rather pretend everything stopped after Dune.

Not a bad take really. Can maybe extend it out another book or two while accepting a certain level of weird but books four and beyond are just cuckoo bananas bizarro literature.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s some dad chat. My mom never knew who her father was. Thanks to 23andme and dumb luck, we’ve found him. My grandpa is jewish. Never would have thought.

Post/Av combo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

bird food bathtub posted:

Not a bad take really. Can maybe extend it out another book or two while accepting a certain level of weird but books four and beyond are just cuckoo bananas bizarro literature.

I could agree with the second book, but after that, I dunno

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah just rewrite the bit to give closure and just let it end cleanly. There are so many good stopping points that you could pivot to.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Opinions vary on just where the Dune books stop being worth reading, but I've never heard anyone say "just push through the bad one(s) and it gets good again."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Opinions vary on just where the Dune books stop being worth reading, but I've never heard anyone say "just push through the bad one(s) and it gets good again."

It wasn't exactly high-brow, but I liked the stuff his son (?) did about the Butlerian Jihad. Don't think it counts for this though cause it was like 40 years later and, yeah, for ol' Herbert senior it started high, went off a cliff and crashed to the ground as time went on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think we could squeeze Leto II's worm shenanigans into two decent and weird movies. There's a ton of fluff to get rid of, but a Miles Teg flick would be cool.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Godholio posted:

I think we could squeeze Leto II's worm shenanigans into two decent and weird movies. There's a ton of fluff to get rid of, but a Miles Teg flick would be cool.

i would watch a Leto II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ftavdKq_s

they are definitely not making a Leto II

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'd like to give a big thanks to forums poster tiny for sending me a lockpicking kit a couple years ago. I got my dad's old truck and he forgot to give me the key to the hitch lock. Popped that bad boy in like 10 seconds.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

You know how sometimes, as you're sitting there, watching a movie and drinking your drink, you start reflecting on the opportunities that passed you by? Feel that twang of sorrow at the knowledge that they'll never come again?

Yeah, I'll never not be butthurt that I didn't bid on any of the Fury Road cars.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd like to give a big thanks to forums poster tiny for sending me a lockpicking kit a couple years ago. I got my dad's old truck and he forgot to give me the key to the hitch lock. Popped that bad boy in like 10 seconds.

I can't remember why I did it, I think my roommate and I got them on a lark from Amazon early on in deployment. Oddly satisfying and occasionally useful!

My crowning achievment was popping the lock in my Mazda B2200 with a coat hanger I happened to have sitting in the bed? I didn't put the coat hanger there. But there it was. There was a guy sitting in the loading dock next door that offered me 20 bucks if I could pull it off again.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have a Sparrows kit that I need to start goofing around with.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I can't remember why I did it, I think my roommate and I got them on a lark from Amazon early on in deployment. Oddly satisfying and occasionally useful!

My crowning achievment was popping the lock in my Mazda B2200 with a coat hanger I happened to have sitting in the bed? I didn't put the coat hanger there. But there it was. There was a guy sitting in the loading dock next door that offered me 20 bucks if I could pull it off again.

Lockpicking was a hobby I cultivated during the pandemic. If you really get bit by the bug, you'll start watching Deviant Ollam videos about physical security/penetration testing and then you're down a very deep and fun rabbit hole.

Syrian Lannister posted:

I have a Sparrows kit that I need to start goofing around with.

MasterLock Model 1 and 3 are very easy to learn on, same with their 140 and 141. You can learn how to single pin pick (what everyone thinks of when they hear "lockpicking") and learn how to rake and do bypasses as well. Sparrows, ITS Tactical and tons of other vendors also sell repinnable practice locks that you can learn on as well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

I may have been a little premature on the reevaluation because it looks like they're actually not done with it yet. Here's hoping for a healthy increase.

I forgot to update the thread.

They were done with it, my request for an increase got me a bump to 20% for the stenosis, 20% for the Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (right), and 20% for Cervical Radiculopathy of the Radial Nerve (left)

The vertigo finally got approved at 10%, which is too low. The threshold for 10% is "occasional dizziness" which is what vertigo is. The next level is 30% which requires dizziness and "occasional staggering," which is also what vertigo is since you tend to stagger when the world begins to spin. I have an increase filed for that and I had the exam two weeks ago, waiting for the VA to parcel out my file for a decision. 30% for the vertigo would bump me from 70% (which my ruined neck got me to back in January) to 80%, which would be nice.

But that's not what's important.

What's important is April 8th, the day of the eclipse.

We got 90% coverage where I live and I was excited to go out and see it

Then five hours later I ended up with a Chosen One.

The birth of my daughter was foretold by the heavens. The Prophecy has been fulfilled.

She was born at 34 weeks, so she's been in the NICU.

Until today! We sprang her from the joint this afternoon.

oh god i have no idea what I'm doing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Congrats! It's such a good feeling springing that baby from the NICU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Congrats to you and yours, McNally! Nothing but best wishes and happiness for your family.

buy her an account and make her an IK

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Congratulations! Sleep when the baby sleeps.

And no, nobody has any idea what they're doing. That part's normal. The baby will remind you when something's wrong, and keep reminding you until it's fixed. You'll figure it out soon enough.

Remember, sleep when the baby sleeps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I've said before but grats!
Having children made me the man I am today.

Tired, old and confused.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Baby McNally :3:

Congrats!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
McNally, I’m so happy for your brother.

You got an adorable kiddo.

Best wishes to you and your significant other!

And I second: No one knows WTF they are doing and sleep deprivation can be real.

You’re gonna be the best kinda dad there is, I have no doubt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yay, Baby! Congrats!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Congrats McNally, that's great news!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Since Germany recently legalized the devil's oregano, I was wondering whether posting pics of "personal experiences" was kosher in this thread

Not consumption related (because I'm a lightweight that only partakes maybe once every 2 years or so), but are growing-pics cool?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looking forward to the posts where you confuse your new grows with chili peppers and try to smoke them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

gently caress it, I'll just post babby's first attempts at weed: Deutschland-style

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

:justpost:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

gently caress, my kids have a stomach bug. Hourly vomit, I look forward to catching this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress it, I'll just post babby's first attempts at weed: Deutschland-style

:f5:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Alright, so the devil's broccoli was legalized on April 1st of this year, so I - of course - decided to use all my chili growing expertise to tackle the challenge of growing weed.
Of course, no local german online-shops could have been in a position to sell seed as of April 1st, so I defaulted to a dutch website.
This website, however, still offered a "stealth shipment" option for EU countries where weed was not legal, so I figured I'd do myself great dishonor if I didn't try to find out how that would look

So about a week later, I received an unauthorized Béyonce biography DVD in the mail

(and yes, the DVD actually works)

Sowed the seeds in my lil growhouse in peat-pods, assumed they'd germinate in around a week as per my chili experiences, but on the third day, every single one of them broke the soil and reached for the sky within 4 hours.
Dutch seed-shops are cultivating some weaponized quality-control apparently

Taking my best experiences from chilis, I replanted the lil buddies into cut-off water bottles with substrate and hit them with my growing lights
(In retrospect, I've learned I should have just replanted them to their final pots at this point)

At this point, I went to a wedding and was away from my apartment for 3 days, and returned to one of my plants having suffered a catastrophic (and very looney tunes) demise. There are no lessons to be learned here, as I do not plan on restraining grow-lamps with duct tape on the cables ever again.
(once again: In retrospect, it's a good thing that I only ended up with 2 plants to carry on)

In the meantime, I had ordered some grow-tent equipment. I feel like I should point out that - as of April 1st - literally every single onlineshop in the EU with automatic-translation-support that offered this type of equipment had been bought dry, so I had to dig up my highschool french to procure the things I required from a shop in France that was a) extremely slow to load and b) seemed to block all forms of automatic translation

Once all the equipment had come in, I was finally able to start the operation of SELBSTERHALTENDES CANNABISZELT MIT EINGEBAUTER KOHLENSTOFFFILTER-ABLUFTANLAGE UND NATRIUMDAMPFLAMPEN-BELICHTUNG (do not judge, please)

Fast-forward about 3 weeks and I've spent the entirety of my time marvelling at how loving fast these plants grow, and not using any of my previous chili-expertise to think about maximizing yield, so I never did any topping, and instead just beheld the beauty of this formerly ILLEGAL PLANT growing happily, confined entirely inside a tent in my apartment

Last picture before I chopped the upper 20cm off my plants upon realizing my mistake

So, as a summary, I've learned a whole lot from this first grow, and - again - I'm somewhat embarassed that I didn't apply any of the knowledge I had gathered from growing chilis, but I'll chalk it up to being supremely fascinated with my first time at growing weed as a Deutschbag in the most conservative state in our Republic-
Further learnings:
- My ventilation setup is completely overpowered for a 60x90x160cm tent, so there's no point in attempting to control moisture inside the growtent because the air is being replaced 300 times every hour
- An HPS lamp was probably overkill for this small of a setup, especially since growing-LED-panels have come a long way over the last 10 years
- I adapted the size of my carbon filter to the cfm-rate of my inline-ventilation that was, in turn, related to the cooling of my HPS lamp, so if I decide to revise my setup, I can definitely downscale that in the future
- dear loving god, I should have topped my lil fuckers the second they were 10cm tall

To close this :effort:-post out, I can confidently say that the yield of my setup - both currently and in the future - will never exceed 50g of weed (because personal posession of more than 50g of weed would be a breach of our brand new laws), and I will probably go with just one plant for the next iteration that I will micromanage a lil more the next time around. I will absolutely make sure to not start the next iteration of growing until I have exactly zero grams of weed in my apartment because I would surely not tempt the legal constraints of the law. :shobon:

Before I hit the hay with the next two episodes of my currently-favored K-Drama "Queen of Tears", I'll leave you with an image that encapsulates everything that fascinates me as a weed-newbie in a country where weed has just recently been legalized:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:stare:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hell yeah, pass the Deutschie upon the left hand side

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Y'all growers around here got some competition from a first timer. Time to step up some games.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I don't even like weed, but I am absolutely intrigued to watch FD absolutely wreck shop with his proven track record.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I am absolutely intrigued to watch FD absolutely wreck shop with his proven track record.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The funny thing is that I smoke weed maybe once every two years, so me growing weed is very much similar to me growing spicy-as-gently caress chilis, which I also cannot consume due to gastro esophageal/intestinal issues.

What's most impressive to me as a chili dad about this first grow is how incredibly fast weed grows. For chilis, I'd expect 80cm of plant height about 3-4 months with heavy growlight usage at the earliest.

My Do-si-do (the taller plant on the left) hit that height after not even four loving weeks.
:stare:

Chilis are already pretty drat resilient, but to see weed grow that crazily in the hands of a complete newbie making all kinds of suboptimal choices and mistakes is something else entirely. Weed gives absolutely zero fucks

/edit: to add to the mistakes I made, I'm going on vacation for the next 9 days, which will probably be right around the time where I'd harvest, so I'll definitely factor that in for my next grow.
To make up for my hosed up grow schedule, I've asked a buddy to come over for plantsitting twice and I'm very much scared to return to my apartment to find him sitting in the purple haze with reggae vinyls playing in the background, asking me "didn't you leave just two days ago?" with the broadest of smiles

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s ….. called…. “Weed” for a reason.