Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
And even if all 5 gates are destroyed, that just releases the rifts. The universe isn't going to come crashing down. The 5 rifts were sealed up not too many years back, things were rather fine before being sealed. Sure, the tiny rift in Azure City grew rather large(but stopped growing at a point). We don't know how the other two ended up. Even if all 5 gates were destroyed, there would be time to re-seal them/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

No, I think we should because that would be the dumbest idea ever. Assume the symbols trigger on entering the room, not on looking at them.

They weren't glowing either. Plus: ultra dumb.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 30, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sebmojo posted:

They weren't glowing either. Plus: ultra dumb.

Also why the hell would it trigger for the observation passageway? :confused:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The idea that they have to destroy the gate even if it'll have unknown consequences for the universe because they can't let them fall into the hands of Xykon puts me in mind of the story behind the first nuclear chain reaction. If I recall, at the time the calculations about how much energy would be released were still pretty imprecise - to the point that there was a chance that with what they knew, initiating the reaction would destroy the whole world. But they did it anyway because they knew the Germans were working on it too and if they didn't do it first the enemy was going to do it anyway.

Sort of humanity in a nutshell, really.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm glad V is casting doubt on the whole snarl thing, it seemed not necessarily noteworthy but at least something to be aware of that it only showed up in the flashback. Of course, that would then raise the question of why the Dark One would lie to the redcloaks, and then also I think I remember Redcloak and Xykon reading the diary of that hobbit girl. So it's probably just the nature of the planet that's the real unknown but ehhhh answers are forthcoming

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 30, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I haven't read the part where the Dark One found out about it for a while, but I think the other gods told him, so couldn't they have lied when they told him?

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

Shugojin posted:

And why would V's fantasy scenario have the fiends taking over at the worst possible time?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

....well, poo poo.

Back to F5ing every two hours for days again...

Personally, I have it on Page Monitor :v:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mushrooman posted:

And why would V's fantasy scenario have the fiends taking over at the worst possible time?

If the illusion shows what you want then it makes sense. V wants to be punished because zhe feels guilty.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Shugojin posted:

Despite the fact that I don't think V is being illusioned, this actually would make sense for someone like Girard. I would assume that everyone in the family would have some sort of immunity to the illusion (be it via some sort of genetic check built into the spell or enchanted item) so that in the case of a worst case scenario hostage situation, they could lead their captors into the gate room via any means and possibly have a method of overcoming them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dolash posted:

The idea that they have to destroy the gate even if it'll have unknown consequences for the universe because they can't let them fall into the hands of Xykon puts me in mind of the story behind the first nuclear chain reaction. If I recall, at the time the calculations about how much energy would be released were still pretty imprecise - to the point that there was a chance that with what they knew, initiating the reaction would destroy the whole world. But they did it anyway because they knew the Germans were working on it too and if they didn't do it first the enemy was going to do it anyway.

Sort of humanity in a nutshell, really.

Incorrect. They checked their calculations and realized it wouldn't happen and then went ahead. There's even a memo that someone wrote that they'd rather the world get conquered than reduced to a cinder.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Speedball posted:

Incorrect. They checked their calculations and realized it wouldn't happen and then went ahead. There's even a memo that someone wrote that they'd rather the world get conquered than reduced to a cinder.

Awww, are you sure? I rather liked that little bit of apocrypha.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Dolash posted:

Yes. There was betting on whether or not they were wrong and the atmosphere would still ignite, but it was a joke to lighten the tension associated with the test.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Dolash posted:

I was about to accuse you of liking "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality", but that was another poster with the same avatar. Huh.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Danzou posted:

I was about to accuse you of liking "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality", but that was another poster with the same avatar. Huh.
It's a really famous anecdote that's been referenced by all kinds of nerd entertainment, XKCD among them. Don't go jump the gun.

Oh, and HPMOR owns :colbert: (I'd add "if you're a gigantic sperg" but in this thread I think we can skip the conditional)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Oh, and HPMOR owns :colbert: (I'd add "if you're a gigantic sperg" but in this thread I think we can skip the conditional)

I just went and read the first bit out of curiosity and as someone who actually was raised by parents who were both scientists, reading that made me want to punch someone.

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012
:siren:897: Headed Downtown:siren:

This might persuade V to tell the others about the whole soul selling thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting. Everyone here assumed that they'd be able to take control of V, but it looks like all they can do is pull her out of the game at will.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Ah, the ol' Xykon mark of true evil: not only do they have terrible plans for spreading pain and death and horror, but they're DICKS about it by propping V up and making him watch exactly what they're preventing him from stopping.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

Interesting. Everyone here assumed that they'd be able to take control of V, but it looks like all they can do is pull her out of the game at will.

If V's soul is down there, could the fiends plant some mind-altering effects for later?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Presumably they could offer V's soul to someone else in a soul splice, but since that's something like a once-a-century deal, it's more of a theoretical exercise. What's more important, though, is that they can pull her out two more times.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

My Lovely Horse posted:

Presumably they could offer V's soul to someone else in a soul splice, but since that's something like a once-a-century deal, it's more of a theoretical exercise. What's more important, though, is that they can pull her out two more times.

One of them is for less time though, right? Or is this the short one? I've lost track of roughly how long the control will be for for each Fiend.

Of course what I think it really means is that the last one is a prime opportunity for a dramatic last-minute breakout with V charging back into the fight like any good sidekick. Elan will appreciate it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Paperio posted:

:siren:897: Headed Downtown:siren:

This might persuade V to tell the others about the whole soul selling thing.

Weird, I can only hit the new comic through this link - the main page hasn't updated yet for me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

fallingdownjoe posted:

One of them is for less time though, right? Or is this the short one? I've lost track of roughly how long the control will be for for each Fiend.

One of them only gets three minutes. No doubt those three minutes will be the most crucial.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tenebrais posted:

One of them only gets three minutes. No doubt those three minutes will be the most crucial.

Or even more likely, that final six seconds.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Does it have to be used all in one go? If not, the fiends could really exercise some control by strategically using a few minutes here and there.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I think its kind of funny how no one in this thread assumed what V assumed: that it would be after V's death.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Noah posted:

I think its kind of funny how no one in this thread assumed what V assumed: that it would be after V's death.

I fell for it! Until someone in this thread told me, in nearly the same words as the fiends in the most recent strip, that I was assuming something that had never been said.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It wasn't a very well hidden plot twist.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I gotta admit, I expected them to possess V, or put him into mortal danger, or something. This is actually crueller.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I would contend that having your mortal body stuck beneath a gate that's about to be destroyed probably counts as mortal danger.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

I would contend that having your mortal body stuck beneath a gate that's about to be destroyed probably counts as mortal danger.

Ninth panel, third word bubble.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010
Except that V's body is shielded from all harm for the duration of his soul's stay in the hells.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I like how Rich actually subverted a lot of people's expectations on this one. Yes, lots of people expected the fiends to pull the "we never said 'after you die'" loophole on V.

But not possessing or otherwise usurping control of V's body because doing so would actually violate the terms of the bargain? I don't think anyone saw that coming. (And if I'm wrong and you did, kudos.)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Now I'm just waiting for the Chaotic fiend to break the terms of the contract, possess V's body at a crucial moment, gently caress something up hardcore, and then get "beaten down" by the other two fiends, who will then promptly apologize to V for the inconvenience and mention that the deal is off... after the damage has already been done.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Noah posted:

That's because everyone was looking for technicalities and loopholes the moment the fiends started talking contracts. It's a genre staple that if you bargain with the devil/genies/other evil powers then you get exactly what you asked for and exactly what you didn't want.

blastron posted:

Now I'm just waiting for the Chaotic fiend to break the terms of the contract, possess V's body at a crucial moment, gently caress something up hardcore, and then get "beaten down" by the other two fiends, who will then promptly apologize to V for the inconvenience and mention that the deal is off... after the damage has already been done.

I'm absolutely certain that's not going to happen. Burlew is a big fan of villains that work together - he even has a long article on his site about it. The whole shtick with these three is that they've realised that the Lawful/Chaotic squabbles were only holding them back and that if they set those aside then they can achieve far greater things for the benefit of all. Going from subverting a D&D cliche to reasserting it just doesn't feel like something he'd do.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 2, 2013

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm now wondering if what the Fiends really want is for V to be at ground zero of a destroyed gate. V's body is shielded from harm, but does falling into a Snarl-rift count as harm?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

nimby posted:

I'm now wondering if what the Fiends really want is for V to be at ground zero of a destroyed gate. V's body is shielded from harm, but does falling into a Snarl-rift count as harm?

No. V is a tool, not the objective.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Brainamp posted:

No. V is a tool, not the objective.

What are you talking about? V is a complete tool.
e: misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

nimby posted:

Bets on strip #900 being the entire party + Linear Guild being pulled through the rift?