Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jokes posted:

IIRC it scales XP so that the jobs with the lowest XP get more than other jobs so it shouldn’t take long to power level them (just keep them out of the fight?).

The main problem is that the scaling isn’t weighted enough towards new classes so they’ll still be a good way behind when they start only getting like 20-30% more than everyone else and not 90%. Also that equipment is gated by level which is probably the part that makes it so arduous to begin with combined with the crappy scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Has there been any updates for the crystal chronicles remake to make its multiplayer not rear end?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

IIRC it scales XP so that the jobs with the lowest XP get more than other jobs so it shouldn’t take long to power level them (just keep them out of the fight?).

The proper way to handle new classes in LUCT would've been for the game to take your highest X number of classes, add their levels together, divide by X, and set the new class to that level. That way when you're in the 30s and get a new job it's also in/near the 30s and immediately useful, instead of being dead weight. Or, like, just have them join you at the same loving level they were at in the story? Having someone go from a level 30 (or whatever) NPC to a level 1 party member because of a unique class makes no sense.

jokes posted:

I still do not understand how Arycelle was so powerful. Her stats weren't THAT much more than a typical archer but she fuckin' BUSTED dudes. Canopus ended up being a melee dude for me somehow.

Doesn't she have some bonus stats on her base, or was that more a thing for the PSX game? I remember getting characters like Folcurt and they were simply better because they had bonus stats and/or were put to their current level using only level bonuses from their class so they never had crappy soldier/amazon level gains.

Or Haborym and his utterly ridiculous status effects accuracy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but not much. Like 5 above my other archer.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the bestiary in ff12 is seriously the coolest poo poo lol

it's my favorite execution of the concept outside of the metroid prime series

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Violen posted:

the bestiary in ff12 is seriously the coolest poo poo lol

it's my favorite execution of the concept outside of the metroid prime series

Have you played Bravely Default? It’s bestiary is very good. The party scribbles notes about the monsters they fight

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i haven't but that sounds cute

i'm a big fan of consistence voice in lore, a recent game that nailed that was outer wilds which took it to an extent i haven't really seen before where you got entire stories and character relationships and arcs spelt out in the same breath as the worldbuilding their writing was giving out. so more material along those lines is cool by me

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

thetoughestbean posted:

Have you played Bravely Default? It’s bestiary is very good. The party scribbles notes about the monsters they fight

It fills out more as you have more encounters, too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

Has there been any updates for the crystal chronicles remake to make its multiplayer not rear end?

I don't think it's even back up for sale in AU yet lol

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Some of the Atelier games do this too. Not as much as the Bravely games but it's still damned good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy X really holds up. It's an excellent video game from start to finish. Tidus is insufferable, but only because he's the polar opposite of Yuna. Whereas Yuna is smart, cool, and unsure of herself, Tidus is not any of those things. To that end, I guess he's great and well done because he's unlikeable.

Still, he has some heavy Butz energy except Tidus's dumbassery is more annoying than endearing.

I am very excited for X-2, where I don't have to see Tidus assault a stranger so he can use his binoculars, and I get to engage with the second best job system in Final Fantasy!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tidus is likeable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think his voice actor is loving me up. I like everyone else, but something about Tidus's is driving me nuts. I realize when I play the game muted I like him a lot more.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
can you turn off the voice acting in X?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DrPossum posted:

can you turn off the voice acting in X?

Hahahahahaha

No

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Why would you ever want to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Knowing how jank FFX was about voice acting, I bet hacking in an option to disable the voice acting would cause all of Rikku's lines to crash the game or something.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Didn't the dub have to match line length with JP voices exactly, as all voice lengths were hard coded in and would crash if it went even a split second over?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sorry Tidus got the perfect voice actor who played the role perfectly. He's supposed to be a cheerful kid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BisbyWorl posted:

Didn't the dub have to match line length with JP voices exactly, as all voice lengths were hard coded in and would crash if it went even a split second over?

Is this why there were so many instances of:

character 1: :words:
Yuna: *awkward pause* yes.*awkward pause*

It was always really weird, the one-word responses always sounded very rushed and clipped like that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: double post

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was always really weird, the one-word responses always sounded very rushed and clipped like that.

Yes, and I think Yuna has it the worst. I think because she has a lot of lines of variable length, so while Auron's always fairly brief and Tidus gets a lot of lengthy narration, for example, Yuna's got a lot of lines that are a much different length in one language than the other.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tidus is a believably written character and if you actually take a look at the circumstances of his life up to the start of the game it was basically impossible for him not to become a douche

his dad was super rich and famous and also an extremely self-absorbed and arrogant prick who was constantly condescending and mean toward him, and who was trying the whole "tough love" approach but disappeared before he got to the stage where you actually give them any sort of approval so tidus' only memories of him are of him making fun of 8-year-old tidus for not being as good as him

his mom was extremely neglectful and pretty much used him as a prop in her grand fantasy of dating a sports superstar, she was somehow actually a worse parent than jecht and seemingly had no interest in her own kid as soon as her husband was gone, and also killed herself/died from being too sad and left tidus to basically finish raising himself for 10 years

everyone else he encounters in zanarkand did nothing but tell him how great and amazing he was because he was good at ball-throw and had money, but they also frequently felt the need to qualify it with "not quite as good as your dead dad though"

frankly it's surprising that he's not even more obnoxious, that's the kind of backstory they usually give the bad guy in a sports movie

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Knowing how jank FFX was about voice acting, I bet hacking in an option to disable the voice acting would cause all of Rikku's lines to crash the game or something.
I don't know if this is real or a myth, but I remember reading once that the reason FFX remakes didn't add a "skip cutscene" button is because apparently the cutscenes are coded in such a way that skipping cutscene dialogue would cause the entire game to go totally haywire.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tidus takes waking up in a strange land and becoming a warrior knight pretty drat well, all things considered. It helps that his mad ball-handling skills wins the admiration of Wakka.

exquisite tea posted:

Why would you ever want to.

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txgjAiw8Rew

e:

MagusofStars posted:

I don't know if this is real or a myth, but I remember reading once that the reason FFX remakes didn't add a "skip cutscene" button is because apparently the cutscenes are coded in such a way that skipping cutscene dialogue would cause the entire game to go totally haywire.

Load-bearing cutscenes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I used to really dislike Tidus when I was younger and even now he has a couple moments that are indefensibly cringey. I can only assume it's because he's basically Tidus' replacement father that kept Auron from punching him when Tidus leaned in and shoved his face against Auron and started sniffing him.

But on the whole he's a great character. There used to be a lot of arguments about his necessity to the story and if Yuna was the real main protagonist. I think the question is wrongheaded because it's like Yuna says at the end, "you say this is your story but it's my story, too." Without Tidus, Yuna probably just dies and without Yuna Tidus plays Blitzball as Sin kills everybody forever. They really need each other to be all they can be.

Tidus is probably my second or third favorite FF main after Cloud and Ashe.

P.S.
withyunabymyside

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 21, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

for that in particular, i read somewhere that all of yuna's "yes" replies are actually the same yes, they copy-pasted that particular voice clip whenever she had to give that response

don't know if it's true but it would explain some things

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Cleretic posted:

Yes, and I think Yuna has it the worst. I think because she has a lot of lines of variable length, so while Auron's always fairly brief and Tidus gets a lot of lengthy narration, for example, Yuna's got a lot of lines that are a much different length in one language than the other.

Yuna's voice actress also tried to match her dialog to the character model's lip movements, which were not updated for the English dub. She sounds a lot better when speaking while off camera or with her back to the camera.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tidus is the perfect protagonist for FFX because he's a dumb affable jock in a world where that kind of blind optimism is exactly what's needed to break the cycle of Spira.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just realized Final Fantasy X is basically Space Jam.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think I've posted this before, but a big point in favor of Tidus' likability for me is that when he finally learns the truth about the pilgrimage, he immediately realizes how much of an unintentional rear end in a top hat he's been for the whole game and lays into the rest of the party for not telling him to cut that poo poo out sooner.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tidus is a good boy who is allowed to figure out what he wants to do when he's put in another world (even if he was hella guided by Auron and Sin to arrive at that conclusion)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

I just realized Final Fantasy X is basically Space Jam.

hot drat that avatar

Tidus rules, i hated him for the first half of the game the first time i played but by the end of the game i "got it" and loved him

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Japanese Yuna says "hai" a lot and in split second voice clips. They're lucky when they could use a clipped yes because there's definitely spots where they had to try and fit in a sentence for a subtler hai.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.siliconera.com/yasumi-m..._source=twitter

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well that article is completely void of content.

Here are the quick notes:

Is it possible for a new TO game come out: Ask Square Enix.
What is the cannon TO path: Not telling.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

Japanese Yuna says "hai" a lot and in split second voice clips. They're lucky when they could use a clipped yes because there's definitely spots where they had to try and fit in a sentence for a subtler hai.

Still laughing at the fact that if the dubbed line didn’t match the length of the Japanese line to the millisecond, the game would just loving break.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FFX's dub is a talented voice cast versus the most inane technical limitation known to man

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Tidus is a character is fine, but I still don't like how his voice actor played him or the guy's voice in general. I know there were issues with the VA of that game as already mentioned, but a lot of them still sound really good and to my ear he just doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The farther along I get, the characterization of Tidus makes more sense. Dumb, good hearted, incredibly impulsive. At some point Yuna looks at him and goes “what do you feel like doing?” He goes “I want to scream really loud” and she laughs like “lol yeah, sure, but you can’t” and he just looks at her and screams really loud and everyone is surprised at him. On to the next scene. One of Lulu’s in-combat tutorials suggests Tidus should step in because he’s a real bruiser.

He’s just a bicep with zero impulse control and no reservations and that’s a very useful tool, plus he’s a nice dumb kid.

There are so many reasons to like Tidus I realize but gently caress that voice actor is awful. I have to really give a lot of deference to avoid getting a little annoyed at him every time he speaks and it sucks because, like everyone is saying, there’s a lot to like about him. Even looking back at the cringey laugh scene, he’s clearly trying to get her to come out of her shell and just do whatever she feels like doing and stop worrying and caring and junk. Noble, but the way it comes off is legendarily awful, lol.

E: I realize it’s probably not the voice actor but the voice direction/technical limitation. I guess I should say “voice performance” idk.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 21, 2020