Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Can a wizard like V cast a sending to say the linear guild? Or have Sabine do something similar? I got the impression from that strip where she tells Nale that she's with him all the way that she's actually more loyal to Nale than the 3.

I don't think V knows that spell, but even if he did, while he's bound like that all he could do spellwise would be a spell with only verbal components, which Sending isn't. And Sabine couldn't at all, succubi don't have that ability innately.

Edit: This is assuming he can cast at all right now, but I'm assuming so given how the soul splice worked and all.

Idran fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sending has a 10 minute cast time, so it would be a little on the late side.

Haven't there been multiple jokes regarding multiple consecutive sendings and the 25 word limit? Or is it just implied that each in-between panel is a 10 minute wait?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

Haven't there been multiple jokes regarding multiple consecutive sendings and the 25 word limit? Or is it just implied that each in-between panel is a 10 minute wait?

I just do what Belkar does

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Casting from a scroll doesn't take 10 minutes. The 10 minutes is spent while scribing the scroll.

Casting from memory, DOES take 10 minutes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Idran posted:

I don't think V knows that spell, but even if he did, while he's bound like that all he could do spellwise would be a spell with only verbal components, which Sending isn't. And Sabine couldn't at all, succubi don't have that ability innately.

Edit: This is assuming he can cast at all right now, but I'm assuming so given how the soul splice worked and all.

V has definitely cast Sending before (when Roy and Belkar were in the arena), but even if she was free right now it can't communicate across planes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

VanSandman posted:

Can a wizard like V cast a sending to say the linear guild? Or have Sabine do something similar? I got the impression from that strip where she tells Nale that she's with him all the way that she's actually more loyal to Nale than the 3.

It was mentioned a few strips ago. V doesn't have a Sending prepared, or he'd have used it to find the rest of the Order several strips ago.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
More importantly, V doesn't have Sending memorized today, as was mentioned in the previous strip.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Casting from a scroll doesn't take 10 minutes. The 10 minutes is spent while scribing the scroll.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if that was one of the rules bent in favor of sanity or not.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

ConfusedUs posted:

That rule is referenced in this comic.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spikey posted:

That rule is referenced in this comic.

Yes. There's also one where V is raging about Power Word: Stun taking up eight pages in a spell book, and after storming off there's a joke about it taking hours to do it. :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well, that strip confirms what people were discussing earlier that only the recipient of the sending can perceive it. I don't remember if it got resolved, but for certain Haley is the only one who saw and heard the elf's report.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

More importantly, V doesn't have Sending memorized today, as was mentioned in the previous strip.

I don't know how I forgot about that; yeah, that too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Potsticker posted:

Well, that strip confirms what people were discussing earlier that only the recipient of the sending can perceive it. I don't remember if it got resolved, but for certain Haley is the only one who saw and heard the elf's report.

Haley just plain told everyone else what she heard offscreen between comics.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Is it too soon to start asking if Rich is okay?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, give it until the thread goes off-topic.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
So, the GITP forums are arguing about whether Sabine will rape Varsuuvius. Always, forever, returning to rape.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well don't leave us hanging... will she?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
The GITP forums are the worst.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahahaha jesus. It must be terrible to be unable to enjoy a work for what it is because you keep nitpicking every last goddamn part of it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jesus christ. That thread reminds me of why I should never go back to that forum.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shugojin posted:

Ahahaha jesus. It must be terrible to be unable to enjoy a work for what it is because you keep nitpicking every last goddamn part of it.
Especially when in every descriptive means of the term a wizard did it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That thread didn't seem all that bad to me? I mean, half of the people in it were saying exactly the same thing you guys are, to not worry about it because it's fantasy/because of magic.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Danzou posted:

So, the GITP forums are arguing about whether Sabine will rape Varsuuvius. Always, forever, returning to rape.

Maybe I'm a masochist, or maybe I'm desperate for reading material on a content-light Saturday night, but I want to read this. Could you link to it?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Danzou posted:

Wait, I missed this post. They're doing this, and you guys were saying they're the worst because of a thread nitpicking room acoustics?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Idran posted:

Wait, I missed this post. They're doing this, and you guys were saying they're the worst because of a thread nitpicking room acoustics?

It's like the oscars, there's multiple "worst-of" categories.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Idran posted:

Truly, the GitP forum posters are broken in a nauseating variety of ways.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Just like forum posters everywhere else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Internet forums are a dead medium. Clear out your desk by five.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Idran posted:

I expect this from horrible forum posters. They LOVE rape. I don't expect them to complain that the room built by wizards couldn't possibly have good autistics.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I expect this from horrible forum posters. They LOVE rape. I don't expect them to complain that the room built by wizards couldn't possibly have good autistics.

This is a wonderful typo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A special mention has to go to post #5 in that thread, whose author felt the need to relativize an idiom of mild criticism with a paragraph about how it's just an idiom and it was a really clever question actually and please please not to be mad.

I mean, being stupid on a forum, that's the internet. Being unable to call someone out for being stupid, because that might be perceived as rude, that's a circle of hell.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

A special mention has to go to post #5 in that thread, whose author felt the need to relativize an idiom of mild criticism with a paragraph about how it's just an idiom and it was a really clever question actually and please please not to be mad.

I mean, being stupid on a forum, that's the internet. Being unable to call someone out for being stupid, because that might be perceived as rude, that's a circle of hell.

This is also the forum where posters have text color keys in their signatures so others can tell when they are being sarcastic. 'tis a spergy place.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't kidding when I said the GitP forums were a second TV Tropes, love of rape and pedophilia included. You people could have listened, but nooooo.

Seriously though don't read them except to see Rich chew out his fans. It's really not worth it.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
My favorite part is how every time it's brought up in grognards.txt, they have this opinion that it's a generally level headed place, if a little dumb. Somehow they missed that it's by far the spergiest DnD forum ever, with all the 3.X grogn that implies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Danzou posted:

My favorite part is how every time it's brought up in grognards.txt, they have this opinion that it's a generally level headed place, if a little dumb. Somehow they missed that it's by far the spergiest DnD forum ever, with all the 3.X grogn that implies.

The baseline posting isn't too far off here. It's just that when it goes nerdy, it dives deep. Deep, and autistic.

knock knock

whose there

gosh

gosh who

gosh I hope rich is ok

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I noticed that the topic for the latest comic was locked and had a look at the end of it to see why that might be.

The Giant posted:

This thread is getting locked.

Not only is almost every single post on this thread deep into the "Morally Justified" territory (with side dishes of Real-World Religion here and there), but suggesting that anyone should inflict harm upon themselves is completely unacceptable, even when speaking hypothetically. This is why we don't allow these kind of "here's what I believe and why I think that the comic should hold to my beliefs" arguments in the first place. Expect infractions.

No more discussion thread until next comic. No spilling this toxic conversation into other threads. For the second time in recent memory, everyone can sit on their thumbs until the next comic comes out.

EDIT: I scrubbed a lot of posts just now, too.

What the hell is wrong with that forum?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I honestly don't understand why he keeps that thing around. What tangible benefit could it possibly bring?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Superstring posted:

I honestly don't understand why he keeps that thing around. What tangible benefit could it possibly bring?

It's got a lot of great character optimization threads!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Colonel Cool posted:

What the hell is wrong with that forum?

They are on their 57th MLP thread. Also:

quote:

These rules were decided by forum vote. They specify what sorts of comments are suitable for inclusion in the Index and what sorts are not. This thread is run by its caretaker in accordance with forumgoer consensus.
Spoiler

a) The quote / comment must still be accessible online.
- 1. This includes the use of the internet wayback machine and other methods of accessing comments that may not still exist in the archive.
- 2. This does not include second-hand sources, like "I remember Rich said this, but the thread does not exist anymore." Even if you are 100% certain Rich said that, if the quote is not demonstrable or provable it cannot be included.
- 3. This does not include Rich's commentary in books or in any medium that cannot be legally accessed for free.

b) The Index is for collecting only quotes that have to do with the Order of the Stick comic or other fiction works by Rich Burlew.
- 1. This excludes non-comic-related opinions, statements, etc. from Rich. So if he says "I like Italian food" or something like that, it is not to be included.
- 2. This may include information tangentially related to the comic, like Rich's views on Dungeons and Dragons, book publishing, art design, etc. These quotes are still within the sphere of comic-related discussion. Uncertainty should be decided by thread poster consensus.
- 3. This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information. That is for the admins and mods to publicize and spread word about, not this index.

c) The index is a forum tool, meant primarily to provide easy access to direct statements from the author for the purpose of forum discussion. Thus, while the index may be fun to read through on a whim, this is not its primary purpose or focus - it is a research aid more than it is a trivia collection.

d) If two quotes seem to contradict each other, only the quote that illustrates Rich's most recent and current opinion or position will be included. This is because of rule c).

e) Quotes that contain redundant information need not be included. This reduces clutter. The quote should only be included if it provides new information or clarity, or if it expounds upon information included in a prior comment.

f) The index-keeper (ThePhantasm) has the job of updating the index in keeping with thread-goer consensus.
- 1. He may reorganize the index if deemed necessary, though all reorganizations can be reversed by majority vote.
- 2. He may immediately add a comment to the index without any vote, discussion, or consensus required if the comment obviously is in accordance with these agreed rules.
- 3. He may never fully "reject" a comment's inclusion, however, he may postpone its inclusion until further discussion (and, if the divide in opinion appears even, a vote) decides the matter.
- 4. If a comment's inclusion is uncertain, a vote requires a clear majority. If there is a tie the comment will not be included. The majority must have at least 2 more votes than the minority. Remember, the purpose of the discussions and votes are to reach some measure of consensus, not division.

loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Superstring posted:

Ad revenue and maybe donations, is my guess. If Andrew Hussie and the Hetalia writers can survive their audience, it should be easy enough for people like Rich to make a bit on the side.