Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything like this or TWAU? It's such a great kind of game, and I'm jonesing for more. Tale Tell have found there niche, and I would pay a subscription just to get monthly updates of whatever story they decide to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Turtlicious posted:

Is there anything like this or TWAU? It's such a great kind of game, and I'm jonesing for more. Tale Tell have found there niche, and I would pay a subscription just to get monthly updates of whatever story they decide to tell.
If you're a fan of Back to the Future, I recommend Telltale's game series on that. It follows the events of the movies and has Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown. Though it's more of a classic puzzle adventure game, as Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are their first games to test a timer for dialogue options and tailoring stories to different choices made.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

How much does Season 2 take from Season 1 saves? Played through the first season on the 360 and was planning on waiting until the whole thing was out before I bought it but now my 360 has gone up the creek. Could just get it on PC in the Steam sale now but then I wouldn't have the saves.

If you care that much reddit has a bunch of saves you can download

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

lotus circle posted:

If you're a fan of Back to the Future, I recommend Telltale's game series on that. It follows the events of the movies and has Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown. Though it's more of a classic puzzle adventure game, as Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are their first games to test a timer for dialogue options and tailoring stories to different choices made.

didn't Alpha Protocol also have a timer on dialogue choices? And it definitely had different outcomes and some different events based on choices.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JawKnee posted:

didn't Alpha Protocol also have a timer on dialogue choices? And it definitely had different outcomes and some different events based on choices.

That's not made by Telltale, though...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

That's not made by Telltale, though...

didn't spot the 'their' games, my bad

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JawKnee posted:

didn't spot the 'their' games, my bad

Still possibly a good recommendation for Turtlicious, though!

And I'm going to throw in LA Noire as a recommendation, especially in the context of games like TWAU. (It's not really in the Telltale style at all, but it's really got the story, feeling of being an investigator, and the noir tone nailed down well. And some really good voice/motion capture acting.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 26, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm actually playing through Telltale's Law and Order game and it's pretty good. It is short on polish (lacks the music and atmosphere that accompany scenes in the show) and while they use the likenesses of Angie Harmon and Sam Waterston, etc. they cast sound-a likes that vary in quality.

But it's fun listening to testimony and trying to spot the inconsistencies, and the trial portion is pretty drat fun, plus there's quite a few plot twists that keep you on your toes.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Turtlicious posted:

You know they're making a new series based on the Borderlands games that comes out soonish right? And at some point a Game of Thrones Telltale series is supposed to start.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

There's a really weird free, old, downloadable game that looks like a comic with still panels. It's called Masq or something and has some great interactive storytelling and has you make some similarly difficult choices. Might be worth checking out.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm a second class gamer and have only played it on the Vita, so I may be behind as I've only played up to episode 3 but one thing I have found lacking in this game is the ability to make some choices that seem odd not to offer such as telling Kenny to stop and not loving bash Carver to death.

I also feel like the game is being a bit rushed and not giving the antagonists enough time to make sense and have powerful motivations, the guy you basically caused to have his life ruined twice still felt a bit week to me but was powerful in how my actions caused him to suffer. Carver had that fantastic house scene and then while giving some good moments showing him as a monster, loving amazing moments, he never seemed to give any moments that made me question myself or linger on. Many different things I've read have not shown up in my game and it seems like without specific choices I may have missed important background on how Carver has more depth, but without those he ended up a crazy monster who was a monster because he was crazy.

Now if the next two episodes slowly reveal that Carver was originally not such a horrible tyrant and was the victim of Team Jake causing him to spiral I will be very happy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just played through episode 3. I loved it, but my main problem was how little you actually saw of the place. There are literally no civilians there other than Reggie (the 400 days characters are more like guards), I thought this was supposed to be a large compound? Also, where was Russel? I'm pretty sure I got him to go there in my file, but I don't remember seeing him.

As for Carver, I thought they could've made him a bit more ambiguous. His very first scene in the episode has him demand a father smack the poo poo out of his daughter, and the next one has him push a guy off a roof (Which made me think he's not only loving evil, but really terrible at it. Seems like such a weird way to kill a person.) There really isn't anything about his character that makes me think "Maybe he's in the right". I also found it off that Carver himself was the one doing all these things. Why would he be going out to get the stragglers that left himself? Surely the leader should stay behind in case anything happens. Things like that make me think the place isn't nearly as big was it was implied to be.

Really liking season 2 though. I was worried how they'd handle controlling a kid, since that seems like such a departure from these sorts of stories, but I think they're doing a pretty good job. Even other characters acknowledge that she's the only one really worth a drat. Episode 1 was my favorite of any of the parts of season 1 or 2, it really felt like Telltale was trying to prove to the player that Clem really can be a good protagonist.

Also nobody seems to like Mike. I like Mike :(

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Momomo posted:

Also nobody seems to like Mike. I like Mike :(

He just seems so "going to die soon" to me

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'll be honest: I didn't remember who Mike was and had to look it up

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

JawKnee posted:

I'll be honest: I didn't remember who Mike was and had to look it up

Same and couldnt find him. If hes the black guy I agree. Like him, will be dead soon.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey folks!

Sorry but I didn't read a bunch due to trying to avoid spoilers. I'm playing through the Walking Dead Xbox 360 Chapter two and seem to be getting glitch killed when the zombie revives from the truck bed. Does anyone know a fix?

Please be gentle I tried searching, googling, etc. and couldn't get anywhere. I just want to find out what happens with Clementine!

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Hey folks!

Sorry but I didn't read a bunch due to trying to avoid spoilers. I'm playing through the Walking Dead Xbox 360 Chapter two and seem to be getting glitch killed when the zombie revives from the truck bed. Does anyone know a fix?

Please be gentle I tried searching, googling, etc. and couldn't get anywhere. I just want to find out what happens with Clementine!

What exactly is glitching? can you be more specific?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Ekusukariba posted:

What exactly is glitching? can you be more specific?

When I was talking with the semi-doctor lady and the guy in the truck bed who just died reanimated, he interrupts he dialogue. I then try to break away the zombie. I bash him into the truck bed about three times, then I get knocked back. I have about four kick/push prompts, followed by a left stick prompts to crawl backwards out of the truck bed. When I get out the zombie jumps on me and I get a press A prompt that I hammer quickly. No matter what, the zombie bites me on the neck and game over. I've tried replaying the chapter to no avail and I'm really frustrated. Am I missing something stupid? This is probably the answer. Any help is REALLY appreciated. Thanks, folks.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
All I can say is that you might need to mash a little harder and longer for that sequence to complete, assuming I'm remembering it correctly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Captain Pissweak posted:

All I can say is that you might need to mash a little harder and longer for that sequence to complete, assuming I'm remembering it correctly.

I'm also going to assume my old man reflexes are to blame. I've even set the remote on the table and gone absolutely hog wild on it. Damnit.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Are you sure it's a prompt to rapid press A? I've only played the iPhone version, but sometimes you get weird 'hold and drag upwards' prompts instead of the rapid tap ones. I can't remember the game ever being even slightly challenging, so it's most likely this that's the issue and not your skills.

Speaking of, there's a moment in the latest ep of season 2 where you have to crawl behind shelving to escape a zombie. I found the prompts so ambiguous that it took me a good five play throughs to understand what it was I was supposed to be doing with my finger.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ozza posted:

Speaking of, there's a moment in the latest ep of season 2 where you have to crawl behind shelving to escape a zombie. I found the prompts so ambiguous that it took me a good five play throughs to understand what it was I was supposed to be doing with my finger.

Oh, thank gently caress I'm not the only one!

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Kentucky Route Zero. Your a driver for an antiques company, delivering to an address that doesn't appear on any map. Anything else will be spoilers, but the plot goes places. Its an excellent game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really enjoyed season one, but I'm in no particular rush to buy season two of TWD until all the episodes are released. Do you think I should just buy it for the summer sale now, or wait until it goes on sale again after the story has been wrapped up?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

exquisite tea posted:

I really enjoyed season one, but I'm in no particular rush to buy season two of TWD until all the episodes are released. Do you think I should just buy it for the summer sale now, or wait until it goes on sale again after the story has been wrapped up?

Better now, you have no guarantee when the next sale will be. And it's your choice if you want to wait to play them, but this season is already really great and you're missing out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Better now, you have no guarantee when the next sale will be. And it's your choice if you want to wait to play them, but this season is already really great and you're missing out.

So far I still like Season 1 better. But I'm interested to see how Clementine's thread wraps up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd say get it. The fourth episode should be out very soon and while I also think its not as good as Season 1, its still real good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 30, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does anybody actually think Season 2 is better? It's still good and I feel the same way as that guy above in saying I'd throw money at Telltale making stories like this for forever, but I think it's got a Dark Souls/2 thing going on here. It was impossible to surpass the sheer magnificence of the original and they probably knew that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volt Catfish posted:

Does anybody actually think Season 2 is better? It's still good and I feel the same way as that guy above in saying I'd throw money at Telltale making stories like this for forever, but I think it's got a Dark Souls/2 thing going on here. It was impossible to surpass the sheer magnificence of the original and they probably knew that.

I personally think the writing / game play is better. I feel like a lot of people like TWDs1 better because it was kind of the "first" of it's kind, and it is the game that lit that fire, but mechanically / tightening wise I think season 2 is by far superior.

I can't think of any single line in S1 that was as good as "Still. Not. Bitten." The characters seem more believable as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Turtlicious posted:

I personally think the writing / game play is better. I feel like a lot of people like TWDs1 better because it was kind of the "first" of it's kind, and it is the game that lit that fire, but mechanically / tightening wise I think season 2 is by far superior.

I can't think of any single line in S1 that was as good as "Still. Not. Bitten." The characters seem more believable as well.

Not to mention currently you can play all of Season 1 back to back, so I think that tints it a bit. Not to mention poo poo didn't really hit the fan until episode 4 in Season 1 anyway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've liked S2 better as well. S1 was fantastic, but there was much more of a feeling that every time you played it, you were going to get kicked in the balls so hard your testicles were going to flop out of your rear end. There's been one or two situations like that in S2, and I maintain that S2 has the single most traumatic moment of the entire series right now, but outside of those big face punches, S2 has had more solid writing and situations that are easier to just have fun with.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I can't think of any single line in S1 that was as good as "Still. Not. Bitten."

I'm very partial to Kenny's "Well, You're...you know...urban?" to Lee when discussing lockpicking.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

S2 > S1

S1 was good, but slotted the PC into too much of a traditional hero role with the whole adopted father thing and all. Playing as a little kid in the apocalypse is great.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I loved the first game, but I hate the layout of both games, luckily I got 1 after it was complete, but I loving hate playing 2-3 hours every few months. I think I've finished part 2. I'm considering just waiting the rest out then play it properly in one lump.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
God damnit it was rapid tap A and then waggle the thumbstick. Got it on my first try. I'm still baffled about how that prompt went, "Wiggle that stick!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving hell, I binged through all three episodes and now I'm anxious for episode 4. Dog :gonk:. And the end for three...:gonk:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
More like :black101:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Dogen posted:

More like :black101:

Haha, yeah when I lopped off Sarita's arm and she let out that scream I literally sat back in my chair and threw up double horns at the screen. Clem the fuckin viking. Best ep of the season so far.

I missed out on the discussion earlier because I just got around to playing this ep but I got a bit of a different vibe with the 400 Days cameos. My impression was that 400 Days was a way to fill out the backstory on a bunch of rando's that you'd normally not give a poo poo about. I managed to get all of them to go to Carver's camp on my playthrough so I got to see all of them hanging around. At first, I was hoping for some interaction beyond a few throwaway lines but then I was like, ok, I get it, as the player I understand that all of these people had lives before this point even if to Clem they are just some people with guns guarding a place she wants to get the gently caress out of. They all did some heroic and/or shameful poo poo before the point that Clem runs into them and they all had reasons to be there. It makes the situation a bit more human and it actually made me feel kind of lovely that I called down a herd of the living dead on their home so that me and my group could get out. Having that extra bit of characterization made a lot of difference for the experience, I think, even if they never become part of the group or even play any significant role in the story.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm willing to bet they double down on clem going black-metal hardcore next episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JawKnee posted:

I'm willing to bet they double down on clem going black-metal hardcore next episode

Telltale, please include a Norwegian death-metal skin for Clem in Ep 4 tia

• Locked thread