Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's, that's incredible, Becca. Real solid work. I just gotta ask, the IDPD guys are worried about the dimensional walls crashing and letting in some real nasty stuff from outside the universe. Is that gonna be a problem here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Wait wait wait. Weakening a dimensional barrier? That sounds at least a little risky and dangerous. Like an open invitation to GORELAX THE HUMAN's less civilized...uh...distant family...? Who drove H.P. Lovecraft mad on purpose, probably? By snacking on his sanity for shits and giggles. Not a pretty picture. Allegedly.

Not making any accusations here but that seems like the sort of thing the OmniCops want to arrest your mom for. Got safeguards? Like...I dunno. I've heard of heat sinks for computers and stuff. Could you maybe build a...dimensional instability sink? Futz with one of those reality anchor things the cops talked about?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

With you so far. Can you set my mind at ease on the implications and consequences of 'Weakening the Dimensional Barrier'?

McSpanky posted:

That's, that's incredible, Becca. Real solid work. I just gotta ask, the IDPD guys are worried about the dimensional walls crashing and letting in some real nasty stuff from outside the universe. Is that gonna be a problem here?

Blasphemaster posted:

Wait wait wait. Weakening a dimensional barrier? That sounds at least a little risky and dangerous. Like an open invitation to GORELAX THE HUMAN's less civilized...uh...distant family...? Who drove H.P. Lovecraft mad on purpose, probably? By snacking on his sanity for shits and giggles. Not a pretty picture. Allegedly.

Not making any accusations here but that seems like the sort of thing the OmniCops want to arrest your mom for. Got safeguards? Like...I dunno. I've heard of heat sinks for computers and stuff. Could you maybe build a...dimensional instability sink? Futz with one of those reality anchor things the cops talked about?

You turn this over in your head, and realize something.

JOSEI: That's some incredible work, Becca. Thanks. But can you set my mind at ease on the implications and consequences of 'Weakening the Dimensional Barrier'?

Rebecca blinks, obviously confused.

REBECCA: Huh?

JOSEI: Like... the IDPD guys are worried about the dimensional walls crashing and letting in some real nasty stuff from outside the universe. Is that gonna be a problem here?

Rebecca gets a mulish expression.

REBECCA: I think those guys were blowing things out of proportion. I mean, they had my mom captive! For no good reason!

JOSEI: Technically, the reason was because they're concerned about the dimensional rifts being used by Gorelax's less civilized...uh...distant family invading other dimensions.

JOSEI: You know, the guys who drove H.P. Lovecraft mad on purpose, probably? By snacking on his sanity for shits and giggles. Not a pretty picture. Allegedly.

JOSEI: I dunno. I've heard of heat sinks for computers and stuff. Could you maybe build a...dimensional instability sink? Futz with one of those reality anchor things the cops talked about?

Rebecca folds her arms, her lips pressed into a thin line.

REBECCA: Are you saying you trust a bunch of interdimensional fascists? Seriously? How do you even know they aren't just making all of that up just to scare people? Maybe they WANT a monopoly on interdimnsional travel, kind of like how the Illuminati have one locally.

The young inventor gives a huff.

REBECCA: It's gonna be fine, Josei. Like... as soon as my mom comes through, I'm sure she and I can close the rift up in seconds. We've got the equipment, and she's got the expertise.

INSIGHT ROLL: 6 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 9 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

You pause a moment, examining Rebecca's face quietly. You can't tell if she's just blowing you off, or being genuine.

Character Sheets & Inventory
BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $1,816,800
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $74,611
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω1.55

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

If there's a possibility running this thing could open a door for a bunch of hungry monstrosities then we should prepare for that, right? Let's at least wait until we have some serious security on hand just in case.

I just got an idea. How about you do your thing setting up and such. Maybe while we're moving GORELAX THE HUMAN in we give him a tour of the place, see if he finds anything familiar with the...uh...dimensional signatures? Probably a good test to help confirm any risk. And if he's on hand if something goes wrong he could help diffuse the situation. Maybe.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

I want to trust you, Becca. You're the expert here, I'm relying on you. Which is why I need you to show your working on why you think the risk is blown out of proportion, and the reasons you're sure you'll be able to close the tear. This is our land, we're bringing in people to it, we would not be doing our due diligence if we weren't very clear on this. You know I've got your back, time and again. I was right about not getting caught by the killer robot. Let's be sure we're on the same page.
Edit: Seconding this.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 8, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I want to trust you, Becca. You're the expert here, I'm relying on you. Which is why I need you to show your working on why you think the risk is blown out of proportion, and the reasons you're sure you'll be able to close the tear. This is our land, we're bringing in people to it, we would not be doing our due diligence if we weren't very clear on this. You know I've got your back, time and again. I was right about not getting caught by the killer robot. Let's be sure we're on the same page.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

If there's a possibility running this thing could open a door for a bunch of hungry monstrosities then we should prepare for that, right? Let's at least wait until we have some serious security on hand just in case.

I just got an idea. How about you do your thing setting up and such. Maybe while we're moving GORELAX THE HUMAN in we give him a tour of the place, see if he finds anything familiar with the...uh...dimensional signatures? Probably a good test to help confirm any risk. And if he's on hand if something goes wrong he could help diffuse the situation. Maybe.

AJ_Impy posted:

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Edit: Seconding this.

You consider the situation, and consider just moving on by accepting she knows what she's doing, generally, but emphasizing that you need extra security and shouldn't rush. You could maybe ask Gorelax for help. But after some thought, you really don't feel comfortable with the game plan yet. You don't even know if she really can close a dimensional tear properly. What if it led to the end of the world, or the IDPD showed up and tossed you all in Space Prison?

JOSEI: Look...

JOSEI: I want to trust you, Becca. You're the expert here, I'm relying on you.

JOSEI: Which is why I need you to show your working on why you think the risk is blown out of proportion, and the reasons you're sure you'll be able to close the tear. This is our land, we're bringing in people to it, we would not be doing our due diligence if we weren't very clear on this. You know I've got your back, time and again. I was right about not getting caught by the killer robot. Let's be sure we're on the same page.

Her face colors a bit, and she throws up her hands.

REBECCA: I know it because her notes explain the process! She literally did dozens of trials of the tech before she disappeared. She wouldn't have disappeared if they wouldn't close after her, because otherwise, she could've just gone back through. Duh!

REBECCA: Also what, are you wanting me to sit down and do a lesson on quantum physics with you?

You still aren't sure she's being 100 percent level with you, and you keep pushing.

JOSEI: I'm just wanting to make sure that you genuinely know what you're doing here, Becca.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 25 VS DC 12. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

She takes another deep breath, her eyes watering, and you realize that you might have hurt her feelings by doubting her expertise.

REBECCA: I- what do you want me to say!? Okay, fine, I admit it! I don't know what I'm doing! I'm following bits and pieces of what I've picked up, and old experimental notes I downloaded from her computer system, and I'm making stuff up as I go along. That's what I've done ever since she left, Josei! I don't have a d-degree, or q-qualifications, a-a-and-

She bursts into tears, standing there helplessly as she buries her face into her hands. You can tell that dragging that admission out of Rebecca was painful for her.

Rebecca's trust has decreased.

INSIGHT ROLL: 16 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 19 VS DC 8. SUCCESS!

On the one hand, you can tell that she's being completely sincere. On the other, you've wrecked her confidence.

ATHENA: ...Josei, I might note that even if she's a capable, bright young woman, she's barely an adult and probably feels like this is her only chance to ever see her mother again. Just a thought.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well poo poo, there's such a thing as being too cautious.

Apologize deeply and sincerely, tell her that she might not have a college degree but she's a certified genius in our eyes. We got spooked by all the end-of-the-world talk from the IDPD and dumped it on her shoulders, it won't happen again.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Sincerely apologize to her and say that won't happen again. Rebecca's a real genius to Josei, even without a degree, and she has a real chance. We shouldn't have dumped so much cold water on what she wants to do with what had us unnecessarily overworried, we've done crazy poo poo and it's a little hypocritical of us to dump on what she plans to do to get her mother back.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Sincerely apologize to her and say that won't happen again. Rebecca's a real genius to Josei, even without a degree, and she has a real chance. We shouldn't have dumped so much cold water on what she wants to do with what had us unnecessarily overworried, we've done crazy poo poo and it's a little hypocritical of us to dump on what she plans to do to get her mother back.

McSpanky posted:

Well poo poo, there's such a thing as being too cautious.

Apologize deeply and sincerely, tell her that she might not have a college degree but she's a certified genius in our eyes. We got spooked by all the end-of-the-world talk from the IDPD and dumped it on her shoulders, it won't happen again.

You decide you need to salvage this, and really... you were pushing her kind of hard. You clear your throat and awkwardly put a hand on her shoulder.

JOSEI: Hey, Becca? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have dumped so much cold water on what you want to do, I've done crazy poo poo and it's a little hypocritical of me to dump on what you plan to do to get your mother back.

JOSEI: I'll admit, I got spooked by all the end-of-the-world talk from the IDPD and dumped it on your shoulders, it won't happen again.

Rebecca just sniffs, and stares at you with red-rimmed eyes. You can tell she's listening carefully despite her unhappiness. You sigh softly, and give her shoulder a squeeze.

JOSEI: What I'm saying is, if there's anyone in the world who could figure this out without ripping open a dimensional wound or whatever... it's you.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 2 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 7. FAILURE.

You're trying hard to put all your charisma into what you're saying. Unfortunately, it seems to fall flat. Rebecca just gives you a sullen look, and in the finest tradition of teenagers everywhere, gives a one-word answer.

REBECCA: Whatever.

She turns and heads out of the farmhouse, probably to wash her face and collect herself. You give a helpless shrug and decide that you can check in with her again later. You figure continuing to push her isn't wise.

With that... you still want to visit Gorelax to ask him for help. The whole eldritch thing gives you the heebie-jeebies. After that time where you tripped balls and got to see his... mom? Progenitor? The freaky god Esh'lon, whatever it/he/she was, you are uncomfortably aware of how very, very Real they are. But the question is, how do you approach him? He's doesn't like being accused of not being a human.

> Gorelax can be touchy about his heritage, though Josei does have good rapport with him. How do we approach GORELAX THE HUMAN CHEF to ask for help?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Gorelax, my human friend! One of my other human friends is currently cooking up a rescue attempt for a loved one who is currently adrift in other dimensions. Now, when it comes to cooking, you’re one of the best humans I know. Can you offer any advice as to how we should go about this rescue?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Honestly, better to fire that thing up before we start developing the land. In case of Eldritch Horror and such.

Let's invite GORELAX to check out the land and existing structures. In case he wants to build a smoke shack or dry aging shed, plan out a big kitchen or freezer. All that sort of thing. If he's on hand when Becca fires up her machines and something goes wrong, then that's a happy coincidence now isn't it?

Also, maybe we should contact Charlotte and see if she can recommend a lab assistant, maybe be on hand with the same sort of pretext as GORELAX. Get an idea of what sections of land are suited for her purposes, does she want to integrate with a main structure? If Becca's mom pops out and needs a medic, got it covered.

We should probably prep the Illuminati Assault Rifle of Target Slaying and have it on hand for insurance.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 9, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

OK, going to work on the next update.

While I work on the update, how many 5-round magazines are we wanting to buy for the Illuminati Anti-Abnormality Rifle? Richter is charging $100,000/magazine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just one for now. We can use it for Becca's testing purposes and decide on more once we've got the rifle fully figured out. At that price we've gonna need to get our money's worth.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Honestly, better to fire that thing up before we start developing the land. In case of Eldritch Horror and such.

Let's invite GORELAX to check out the land and existing structures. In case he wants to build a smoke shack or dry aging shed, plan out a big kitchen or freezer. All that sort of thing. If he's on hand when Becca fires up her machines and something goes wrong, then that's a happy coincidence now isn't it?

Also, maybe we should contact Charlotte and see if she can recommend a lab assistant, maybe be on hand with the same sort of pretext as GORELAX. Get an idea of what sections of land are suited for her purposes, does she want to integrate with a main structure? If Becca's mom pops out and needs a medic, got it covered.

We should probably prep the Illuminati Assault Rifle of Target Slaying and have it on hand for insurance.

AJ_Impy posted:

Gorelax, my human friend! One of my other human friends is currently cooking up a rescue attempt for a loved one who is currently adrift in other dimensions. Now, when it comes to cooking, you’re one of the best humans I know. Can you offer any advice as to how we should go about this rescue?

JessAlias posted:

OK, going to work on the next update.

While I work on the update, how many 5-round magazines are we wanting to buy for the Illuminati Anti-Abnormality Rifle? Richter is charging $100,000/magazine.

McSpanky posted:

Just one for now. We can use it for Becca's testing purposes and decide on more once we've got the rifle fully figured out. At that price we've gonna need to get our money's worth.

The first step is going to be ringing him up. You'll figure you'll just try to straightforwardly ask him for advice at first without accusing him of being eldritch. If that doesn't work, you'll instead invite him to check out the area for where he wants to build a smokehouse, or kitchen, or something.

You pull out your phone and ring up Gorelax. It takes a few rings before he answers, and you hear some weird, squelchy, slithering sounds as he presumably manuevers the phone to his maw.

GORELAX: FRIEND JOSE! HOW CAN GORELAX HELP YOU TODAY?

JOSEI: Gorelax, my human friend! I need to ask you for some advice, is that okay?

GORELAX: FIRE!

JOSEI: ...huh?

GORELAX: OR WAIT. I MEAN, SHOOT. GO AHEAD.

JOSEI: ...okay, um. One of my other human friends is currently cooking up a rescue attempt for a loved one who is currently adrift in other dimensions. Now, when it comes to cooking, you’re one of the best humans I know. Can you offer any advice as to how we should go about this rescue?

There's a long pause, and Gorelax's voice gets a hint of confusion.

GORELAX: GORELAX IS NOT SURE WHY YOU ARE ASKING FOR HIS HELP ON THIS MATTER. WHILE I APPRECIATE THE COMPLIMENT ON MY COOKING SKILLS, THEY ARE NOT TRANSFERRABLE TO RESCUING INTERDIMENSIONAL TRAVELLERS, REGARDLESS OF THE WORDPLAY YOU USE.

Well, that was worth a shot. You shrug a bit, and change tacks.

JOSEI: Sorry, just figured you're an intelligent guy with a lot of insight. On another note, we're laying the foundation for the whole resort thing, and I was wondering if you'd like to come down here and check it out? Maybe we can figure out a place to build a smokehouse, or a dry aging shed. You know?

You hear him make a burbling sound that seems to indicate excitement, or possibly extreme distress.

GORELAX: A SMOKEHOUSE?! GLORY UPON YOU, FRIEND JOSE! YES! WHEN SHOULD I COME?

JOSEI: Uh... tomorrow? And you could even stay the night so we can work out the plans. Sound good?

GORELAX: YES! GORELAX WILL BE THERE!

JOSEI: Alright, great!

You hang up, and feel a little relieved that that went well. You figure with Gorelax on your side, the odds that you'll somehow gently caress up dimension hopping are smaller. Or at least, you hope so.

You contemplate what to do next. Really, that whole conversation with Rebecca ended on a sour note. You think it might help if you got a lab assistant... that would show your investment in her skills by getting an extra pair of hands. You decide to ask Charlotte if she has any suggestions, because you also would like to invite her over as well. It wouldn't hurt to have a medically trained dhampyr on hand if things go south.

You dial Charlotte's number, and it rings multiple times before she answers. She answers, sounding a bit brisk. On second thought, calling her during working hours may not have been an excellent idea?

CHARLOTTE: Yes? Something you need, Josei?

You decide to cut to the chase.

JOSEI: Sort of. Trying to find a lab assistant for Rebecca, any recomendations?

CHARLOTTE: If you're wanting someone who is trained in quantum tunneling, I don't have a recommendation, Josei. I'm a doctor of medicine, not physics.

JOSEI: Dang.

CHARLOTTE: I'm not saying I have no ideas, it's just that you're asking for something specialized. Now... if you want someone with an even temperament and steady hands, I know this fellow who is trained as a coroner's assistant who is looking for a leg up. He's a smart guy. A little shy. But he's already aware of the Underworld, which is a plus.

You get a sinking feeling.

JOSEI: Is his name Nicholas?

CHARLOTTE: ...yes? Do you know him?

You cough awkwardly.

JOSEI: Yeah, uh, I kinda broke his nose. It's a long story.

CHARLOTTE: Perhaps a round of healing drinks at the bar would clear the air. There's an old human saying about how liquor makes good medicine, yes?

JOSEI: Maybe? He doesn't seem like the drinking type.

CHARLOTTE: You'd be surprised.

JOSEI: Uh... anyway. You know that business venture I'm planning?

CHARLOTTE: Mhm?

JOSEI: I was wondering if you'd like to come down and check out the property. I know we had a back and forth about long term plans, so I figured getting to see it would help us make a decision?

CHARLOTTE: Hmm. Sure, I'll bite. Would tomorrow work?

JOSEI: Yeah! That'd be perfect. Gorelax is coming down as well, he's going to open a restaurant or something.

She gets an amused tone in her voice.

CHARLOTTE: Oh, that little guy! He's so strangely adorable. It'll be nice to see him.

You pause, and clear your throat.

JOSEI: You know, you could spend the night. It's a long drive out here.

Charlotte hums wordlessly, and you can tell she's considering the matter.

CHARLOTTE: The round trip isn't too bad... but you know what? Why not. I'll pack an overnight bag.

You resist the urge to pump your fist in the air in victory.

JOSEI: Alright! Is around 4pm good?

CHARLOTTE: Nothing like an afternoon drive, I'm down. You don't mind if I bring my laptop, right?

JOSEI: Hey, you go right ahead. Bring whatever you need.

CHARLOTTE: Lovely. Just text me the address and I'll be there.

You wrap up the phone call, and run your hand through your hair, thinking. You have some preparations to do before you're comfortable pulling the trigger on Rebecca's mom.

> It's time for the return of the PREPARATION PHASE! We want to rescue Rebecca's mother, and we can control how much (or how little) prep we do.

Note: Trying to pick "all of the above" may have consequences. Keep in mind Veronica DeVir is a criminal on the run.

A) Purchase AAR rounds for the Illuminati cyberpunk rifle. (This is preselected. How many 5-round magazines do we buy? We have 1 vote for getting a single magazine.)

B) Meet with Nicholas to recruit him...
1. ...at a bar, Charlotte's suggestion seemed like a good one.
2. ...at a diner, Nicholas seems so square that he almost has corners.
3. ...somewhere else, make a suggestion.

C) Where do we set up the portal?
1. In the barn, this is what we will default to if NOBODY has a preferance.
2. In the nearby field, more room to manuever.
3. In the farmhouse's basement, it's easier to contain monsters.
4. Somewhere else, make a suggestion. It MUST be on the farmhouse property.

D. Setting up defenses, what do we do?
1. Just make sure people are in position. (This option excludes all others.)
2. Set up some booby traps, put up sandbags, stuff like that.
3. Go all out, try to get some drones, automated turrets, expensive gear that makes sure anything that tries to pass through the portal BESIDES Veronica DeVir has a Bad Time.
4. Another suggestion not listed.

E) Try to smooth things over with Rebecca. This can be combined with B) if we successfully recruit Nicholas.
F) Kiara is probably getting close to cured, or might already be cured. We could ask her for help.
G) Talk to Ivan about security. He might have buddies we could have on hand, trained soldiers could be helpful. Following this option will also boost any booby traps we set up.
H) Talk to Nike for help/advice. He's an expert in interdimensional travel, after all.
I) Wildcard options. We can try to extort help out of Bomber Joe, or ask for a favor from someone like Apollyon. If you select this option, specify what you want Josei to do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
EH

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B1
C3
D1
E, H

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B1
C1
D1
E, H

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Here is what I see:

- STRONG consensus on E & H, we will touch base with Rebecca and Nike.
- Consensus on recruiting Nicholas at the bar.
- Consensus on NOT preparing a lot of defenses, just make sure people are in position.
- TIE on location of portal (1 vote for barn, 1 vote for basement)
- Josei will purchase ONE magazine of cyberpunk rifle ammo.

Since we have a tie with barn and basement, Josei will mention both options to Rebecca and his associates to see if they have an opinion, and then will choose accordingly.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You decide to go ahead and utilize the lead Charlotte give you for Nicholas. You text Charlotte, and you his number. Then you ring him up.

NICK: U-uh, hello? W-who is this?

JOSEI: Sup buddy! This is Josei.

His voice gets a little flat. You can tell he's not overjoyed to hear from you. Even though you set things a little right the last time you saw him, you can't blame him for being a little salty about getting his nose broken.

NICK: O-oh. H-hi? Did y-you need something?

JOSEI: So... Charlotte tells me that you're looking for a change of pace?

NICK: Um. I g-guess? What, y-you're building a morgue?

He gives a nervous laugh.

JOSEI: A friend of mine needs a lab assistant, I'd be willing to pay you to do that. You interested in grabbing a beer together so we can talk about it?

There's a long pause on the other end of the line before Nicholas speaks again.

NICK: Sure? But o-only if it's not during working h-hours. I c-can't just walk away from my r-responsibilities.

JOSEI: Sounds good. How about the Crossroads, around 7? That work for you?

NICK: Um, yeah. Sure.

JOSEI: Alright! I'll see you then!

With that settled, you hang up, and ring up Nike. He answers with his confident, resonant voice.

NIKE: Ah! Josei, good to hear from you again!

JOSEI: Nike, bossman, my partner in crime, you gotta help me with something!

NIKE: Ha! I'm all ears. Well - no, I'd hope I wouldn't be that, that actually sounds horrific. But I'm definitely listening intently.

You pause, imagining a being composed of nothing but ears. Yech.

JOSEI: You know, it's funny you mention that. I'm trying to rescue Rebecca's mom, has she mentioned that to you?

NIKE: Vaguely. Some kind of magical accident, yes?

JOSEI: Well, more like a quantum physical one, but in the end they seem like almost the same thing. Basically she's wanting to help her ma tunnel through spacetime to come home, and I've got the heebie jeebies.

NIKE: You're afraid something Uncanny will take advantage of the opening.

You pause, and snort.

JOSEI: Should have figured you'd be an expert on this sort of thing.

NIKE: Guilty as charged. If you're going to be futzing with interdimensional travel... I'm guessing you aren't sanctioned by the Council of Merlin?

You cough awkwardly.

JOSEI: Not... quite. It's uh, a little unofficial, haha.

NIKE: Hm. Living life on the edge, Josei. And I know that Rebecca has a hatred for the Illuminati and their kin, thus gaining sanction is a non-starter.

JOSEI: ...pretty much.

Nike pauses for a moment, as if thinking, then decides to ask you something in a light tone.

NIKE: So, do you want me to mention this to the IDPD? Because they seem like they would be in a better position to help, what with their reality anchors and such. I've heard of them doing rescue missions in the past, even.

JOSEI: Uh... yeah, that's part of the problem. Apparently her mom's a fugitive with them too.

The Famous Adventurer pauses, and heaves a sigh.

NIKE: A very complicated situation.

JOSEI: Tell me about it. So... you have any advice or help you can give?

NIKE: I have more than that. I'll drop by and be on hand through the entire process. It wouldn't sit right on my conscience if you got yourselves all killed, or worse.

You feel stunned by his offer, and feel an immense amount of relief and gratitude wash over you. Nike chuckles warmly, and continues on.

NIKE: I'm not above a little adventure every now and then. Even if I'm retired in the main, well... you know. Can't let myself get too rusty. Would you mind if I brought along my wife, Katrina, too?

You blink.

JOSEI: Sure, what's she like?

NIKE: She's an ex-vampire. Long story. Used to be a bit of a villain, but she's reformed now.

JOSEI: That sounds like an interesting story.

NIKE: It's an old one. You should come over for dinner and drinks sometime, she'd love to tell it. She had an evil castle and everything, tried to take over the world by summoning a world-devouring elder god. You know.

He speaks in a casual, wry manner, like he's discussing his wife's minor foibles and not her history as a supervillainess. You feel a bit boggled by this revelation, but try not to let it show in your voice.

JOSEI: Count me in for that dinner, whenever it suits you both. But uh... you think you guys could come over tomorrow then? Maybe in the evening?

NIKE: Of course! Well, at least I know I can. I'll have to see if Katrina is fine with it.

JOSEI: Alrighty! Hey, thanks a ton, Nike.

NIKE: Like I said, can't let myself get too rusty at adventuring! And anyways, it wouldn't be fair to you lot to not be on hand if the things that you're up against is out of your depth.

You end the call, and decide to take care of a few errands while you wait for your meetup with Nick. First, you stop by Richter's to buy a magazine of ammunition for your fancy cyberpunk gun. Given that the main threat is probably going to be eldritch beasties, it makes sense to load it up, then tune it to target them. You decide to charge this to your business account. In a way, you view this as an investment on making sure your team is successful... so it counts, right? You also briefly check in with the villagers, Elara, and Veldrin, and let them know they can make the move after this whole rescue mission thing is complete.

You have spent $100,000 dollars purchasing a magazine of Anti-Abnormality Rifle ammunition.

After a relatively productive afternoon, it gets close enough to 7PM that you decide to stop by the Crossroads. You decide to bring your dog along, you figure Goodboy can help dispel any lingering tension.

The nightclub is bustling even more than usual, with all sorts of unusual and strange sorts dropping in. You could even swear you saw either a leprechaun, or a dwarf, you're not too sure. A part of you was tempted to ask, but when you saw the little guy kick someone in the shin hard enough to break a bone, you decided to avoid him entirely.

Instead, you head on up to the bar, and take a seat while scanning around. For a moment you wonder why the wiseguy demons aren't around. Then you recall that you imprisoned them all in that cursed map. Oh well. You check your watch, and see it's a still a decent while until Nicholas arrives. As you sit there, you see an elderly looking, one-eyed man with a long white beard, eyepatch, and a tattered cloak hobbles into the bar. He smells dreadful and seems unsteady on his feet. An alcohol addict, you surmise.

As he lurches up to the bar, he uses his staff to stabilize himself. He promptly begins negotiating with the bartender about buying a drink using a few wadded up dollar bills. The guy has some weird accent, it sounds almost Swedish. You move a couple seats down and wrinkle your nose. You wonder how he managed to sneak in.

On another note, you see some much more interesting people to chat with. There's that imposingly tall blonde woman in full plate mail again, the one who looks like an angel. Just like before, you feel like she's way out of your league. She's staring intensely at the elderly homeless dude with an amused expression. You wonder what it is that she finds so funny.

There's also, of all people, Alev the red dragon-man that you ran into back in Inferno. You met him at the Infer-mation kiosk when you were getting your bearings. He's dressed in a dapper looking suit and seems to be relaxing. He gives you a surprisingly friendly wave, and you give him a nod back. He seems content otherwise, so it's not like you HAVE to go chat with him. But really... you sort of want to. He seems so much nicer than Sokolov, and you suspect you could actually make a friend (or at least acquaintance) with him.

> Pick someone to chat with... or pick nobody, if you prefer.

BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $1,716,800

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Talk to the elderly fellow with the eyepatch and staff. It might be just a random person, or it might be a god, maybe Odin. Let's flip that coin!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Go say Hi to Alev, maybe have a drink. Keep one eye on old one eye.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Blasphemaster posted:

+1 to this

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Talk with the big woman in plate mail. That's gotta be an interesting story, and we've met a few angels by now, we might have something in common!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Talk to the elderly fellow with the eyepatch and staff. It might be just a random person, or it might be a god, maybe Odin. Let's flip that coin!

+1

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

With a tie between Alev and One-Eye, a coinflip settles the tie in favor of Alev.

You decide to hang out with Alev, though you'll keep an eye on the weird one-eyed guy who vaguely rings a faint bell. You wander over to the friendly dragon-man, and see him hop up from his table to greet you.

ALEV: Josei! Hey! How are you doing, my human buddy?

You shake hands with him and grin back at him.

JOSEI: Doing alright. How about you?

ALEV: Hey, can't complain. Still working that information kiosk for the Tourism Board of Inferno, you know? How'd your whole adventure go down there anyway?

You contemplate how to even answer that.

JOSEI: Well enough, I guess. Almost got scammed, got jumped by a bunch of demonic mobsters, but at least I managed to set up a bank account with the IBoH.

ALEV: drat. I know it's always hard for you pinkies in Hell, demons always try to gently caress with anyone they think is weaker than 'em. Well, here, let me buy you a drink! You deserve it!

You briefly debate whether it's a good idea or not. On the one hand, you could just relax and shoot the breeze with Alev for a while. On the other, you could turn it down and keep a clear head for when Nicholas shows up. Then you realize that Nick is not exactly a hardened businessman or criminal. One beer wouldn't hurt.

JOSEI: Sure.

INSIGHT ROLL: 14 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 17 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Alev nods, and heads over to the bar as you take a seat. The one-eyed guy meanwhile finishes buying his drink and wanders over to the poker machines in the back of the room. As he walks over, your two eyes make contact with his single one. You feel a growing sense of recognition. Is... is that Odin?

ATHENA: Hm? Oh, dammit, the one moment I'm not paying attention, he manages to sneak in.

He gives you a nod, and hobbles on to the poker machines. He clearly is leaving the ball in your court to approach him rather than accosting you. You stare at him in thought as Alev comes back with a beer, setting the glass down by your hand.

ALEV: Penny for your thoughts, bud?

JOSEI: Huh? Uh. Do you know who that guy is?

Alev pauses, blinking and looks over at the one-eyed alcoholic. He squints a bit. You realize he has several sets of eyelids, like an inner one and an outer one. You vaguely remember a high school biology class where they said that some animals have multiple pairs of those, and it's a bit disquieting watching the inner one flick over his eyes as he stares.

ALEV: Aw... poo poo. Didn't see him at first, probably 'cause he didn't want to be seen. Yeah, that guy's a Power of some kind. Best steer clear of him.

JOSEI: Why?

He shrugs, and sits down once more. Alev seems to have settled for a bottle of tequila, and knocks back a shot before responding.

ALEV: Because if you get stuck in with one of those bastards, like... Tiamat knows what will happen? The ones who pull the whole Mysterious Stranger schtick usually end up giving you a quest or making you a Chosen One or something.

JOSEI: ...but he's favoring me already, so he can't be bad, right?

Alev blinks again with his inner eyelid, again making you feel a bit weird. He gives this some obvious thought.

ALEV: In a way that's worse.

JOSEI: How so?

ALEV: I mean, then he can give you overtime, yeah? Do you really want to have a drink with a guy who's your boss?

You pause, considering that advice. He has a point.

ATHENA: Indeed he does. You should spend time with Alev and give a hard pass on talking to Odin, I'm sure nothing of value would come of it.

> How do you want to proceed?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 16, 2024

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Shoot the poo poo with Avel for a few minutes. Check with the bartender and see if they have any Dansk Mjød, equivalent or better product on hand. Have a bottle sent to Odin.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Propitiation through libation is a fine tradition. Seconded.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Blasphemaster posted:

Shoot the poo poo with Avel for a few minutes. Check with the bartender and see if they have any Dansk Mjød, equivalent or better product on hand. Have a bottle sent to Odin.
Do this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Athena's jealousy is as cute as it is wise, don't tempt a duel of patrons.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

Propitiation through libation is a fine tradition. Seconded.

Three to one for getting Odin a bottle of mead.

You decide that you'll at least recognize that Odin is your alternate patron, but otherwise just focus on hanging out with Alev. You vaguely remember drinking a fancy Danish mead with some cronies of yours, and flag down the bartender. For the amusement of it, you order a bottle of "Odin's Skull" mead, which you ask to be given to the one-eyed man. The bartender nods, and grabs a bottle from the back shelf before bringing it out to the homeless dude.

The mysterious alcoholic pauses, in the midst of starting up a game of video poker, and gives you another nod of acknowledgement before cracking open the bottle and taking a swig. He returns to his game, and Alev speaks again.

ALEV: I'm honestly impressed you're so laid back about this Power stuff, Josei.

You can't help but swell with at least a little pride, though you decide against just preening like a peacock.

JOSEI: Enh... like... honestly, I just stumbled into it like a moron. I can't just sit here and pretend I'm some kinda savior or chosen one, that's just bullshit.

ALEV: A modest man! I'm liking it.

JOSEI: In my case, not modesty but self-awareness. I've had to learn to have at least little of that the hard way.

JOSEI: What's your story, anyway? You're... uh...

ALEV: Not a complete rear end in a top hat?

You cough a bit awkwardly.

JOSEI: Eheh... yeah?

Alev grins, a smile filled with razor-sharp teeth.

ALEV: Meh, it's no big deal. We dragons get a bad rap, and most of us deserve it. But in a way... think of it like this. Do you know how long we live?

You shake your head, a blank look on your face.

JOSEI: Maybe like... 300 years?

ALEV: Haha... nope. Thousands of years. Millennia, at least. There hasn't been a dragon that's died of old age, we end up biting it due to getting killed by a peer, a Power, or a potent mortal.

ALEV: If we end up living long enough, we can end up being a minor Power of our own. Have you heard of Tiamat?

You shake your head again.

ALEV: OK. That's no problem, she's just the oldest dragon who's ever existed. We don't know when she was hatched, even, and she won't tell. She's the closest we have to a god. She's the origin of dragonkind.

JOSEI: Woah.

ALEV: Mhm. She also gave us the founding principles of what dragons are, and what we are supposed to aspire to. Basically our ethos.

You raise your eyebrows.

JOSEI: Is it secret or something, or are you allowed to share?

Alev cocks his head. Then he knocks a shot back, thumps his chest, and begins reciting something in his resonant voice. You quickly realize it's a religious text.

ALEV: In the beginning, there was the Void, and from the depths arose Tiamat, the Endless Dragon. She who wove her form from the cosmos, whose scales glistened with the stars' own light, Proclaimed the virtues of power and wealth, the twin pillars of the dragon's might.

ALEV: "Seek ye first the kingdom of strength," she roared, "for in power, your essence thrives. Gather wealth, as vast as the oceans, for it is the hoard that keeps the dragon alive. Let not your flame waver, nor your wings falter; rise above, fierce and wise."

ALEV: "Honor the brood, protect the kin, for in unity, our dominion is assured. But remember, the path of each dragon is their own to carve, their destiny self-secured. In my name, amass your might, let not your ambition be deterred."

ALEV: "For I am Tiamat, a Power That Is, the unyielding force of the draconic soul. In my shadow, prosper, in my favor, soar, for through strength and wealth, you are whole. This is my decree, my eternal edict, the goal of every dragon's role."

You realize that the bar has fallen silent. There's a brief pause, before the assembled crowd turns back to their drinks. You take a thoughtful sip of your beer.

JOSEI: So... she basically ordered you guys to build up hoards? Is that why you all are so, uh...

You trail off, and Alev finishes your sentence.

ALEV: Greedy? Yeah, pretty much. Dragons live long, but reproduce slow. I'm the first kid my Ma has hatched in centuries. And with our dumb squabbles, like... it's common for one dragon to kill another dragon's hatchlings. So we need to build up a power base to keep our hatchlings safe.

ALEV: I only got to leave home unaccompanied a decade ago, I spent decades before that squirreled away at home before my Ma felt it was safe for me to go wandering around by myself.

ALEV: That job down in Inferno? That's the first time I've been doing something that was just... me, without working for my Ma or my sire.

You pause, considering something.

JOSEI: How old are you?

He chuckles, and shrugs.

ALEV: 80 years old. And in draconic terms, that makes me barely a teen. When I'm 250 or 300 in human terms? Then I'll be an adult.

JOSEI: Interesting. Isn't it frustrating then? It sounds sort of overprotective.

He shrugs.

ALEV: Better than Sokolov murdering me and eating me due to being a potentially dangerous rival.

You blanche.

JOSEI: Dragons do cannibalism?

ALEV: Eat each other? Yeah, pretty much. It's just part of the ecosystem. Tiamat decreed that one must only eat lesser creatures unless attacked, but if a dragon doesn't want an upstart potentially nosing in on his turf... it's considered a pre-emptive strike.

JOSEI: Urgh. I'm sorry.

Alev pauses, and chuckles while waving a clawed hand.

ALEV: Hey, I'm not just a little hatchling anymore. If he tried to roll me now, I'd put up enough of a fight that it wouldn't be worth it.

As he finishes speaking, you notice Nicholas wandering into the bar. He's in a turtleneck and jeans, and is looking around nervously. He notices you, and you wave at him. He waves back uncertainly, staring at your draconic drinking partner. You realize he's hesitant to approach. You give Alev an apologetic look.

JOSEI: Hey, listen. I got a buddy I'm recruiting for a job. It was great chatting with ya, can we do it again sometime?

ALEV: Sure, bud. Here - take my card. That way we can connect up later.

He hands you a business card. It's a very minimalistic one - nothing but his name and cell number, with flames surrounding it in a way that makes it look like they're emanating from his name. You can't help but smile at it, it's really a design you could see a young guy using to seem cool.

JOSEI: Awesome. Catch you 'round.

You stand up, taking your drink with you, and walk over to Nicholas.

JOSEI: Hey, how's it hanging?

NICK: U-uh, not much. N-n-not bad. S-so w-what's this about?

You flash him an easy smile. You don't want Nick to feel uncomfortable or nervous, or at least, you want to minimize that. The point of this isn't to just take advantage of him, or terrify the guy.

JOSEI: Here, c'mon, take a seat.

You usher him to a booth and get him a drink. Nick goes for a very boring lager, compared to the fancy craft beer you got. You wince a bit as he takes an appreciative slurp of his Bud Lite. You can't stand that stuff anymore, after all the traveling you've done.

NICK: W-what's this j-job you h-have anyway?

JOSEI: Huh? Oh, yeah. Okay. I've got a scientist girl who needs a pair of steady hands, basically a lab tech. She's not formally trained, so it's fine if you're not. And if it doesn't work out... Charlotte might need a helper too, come to think of it. Lots of options here.

Nick seems interested, and bites his lip as he thinks.

NICK: O-okay, u-um, what's the salary?

You go for the oldest trick in the book.

JOSEI: What are you thinking is fair?

Nick gets a deer-in-the-headlights expression.

NICK: E-er... 45K...?

JOSEI: Hmm...

You size him up as you think this over, and you see him beginning to sweat. Amusingly, you were probably fine with a much higher one. You feel like he's lowballing due to a lack of confidence.

Which, well, you can just totally take advantage of. Frankly, you suspect could dictate whatever terms you want. Nick isn't exactly the pinnacle of negotiation.

> Outline the sort of offer you think Josei should give Nick. This will set a tone for how Josei will hire employees in the future.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 16, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fair and above board. Full benefits, paid vacation time, hour lunches, the works.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
New leaf. We treat him fairly and reasonably. Build rep as someone good to work for.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

He's actually right on point, going by median for his profession in this area he should be earning about $22/hr. Unfortunately with the US cost of living being as is, he should be getting significantly more especially if we want to finance his discretion about Becca's project. Work could be dangerous, too. Danger pay.

We don't want to step on Sami's toes or jeopardize his arrangement with her. Gonna have to navigate that.

I'm thinking $33/hr for 1.5x market, mileage reimbursement since the farmhouse site is in the sticks. Cost of living/inflation adjustments. Benefits tbd, good package, get that rolling once he clicks with the work. If all goes well, profit sharing once the whole place is set up and bringing in cash.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

He's actually right on point, going by median for his profession in this area he should be earning about $22/hr. Unfortunately with the US cost of living being as is, he should be getting significantly more especially if we want to finance his discretion about Becca's project. Work could be dangerous, too. Danger pay.

We don't want to step on Sami's toes or jeopardize his arrangement with her. Gonna have to navigate that.

I'm thinking $33/hr for 1.5x market, mileage reimbursement since the farmhouse site is in the sticks. Cost of living/inflation adjustments. Benefits tbd, good package, get that rolling once he clicks with the work. If all goes well, profit sharing once the whole place is set up and bringing in cash.

AJ_Impy posted:

New leaf. We treat him fairly and reasonably. Build rep as someone good to work for.

McSpanky posted:

Fair and above board. Full benefits, paid vacation time, hour lunches, the works.

After a moment's thought, you decide that you are going to turn over a new leaf. You give him a long look, then speak.

JOSEI: I think you're selling yourself short. You're worth at least 68,000 dollars a year to me. Gonna be risky working with us, plus we're out in the sticks... so we'd have to work out a mileage reimbursement too.

Nick's jaw drops a bit. He looks stunned and a little overwhelmed by the prospect of getting so much money.

NICK: R-really? Y-you mean it?

JOSEI: Yeah, I mean, what kinda staff am I gonna get if I'm stiffing people? I figure we can work out the fine print later. Sound good?

Nick nods rapidly in agreement. You shake hands.

JOSEI: Pleasure doing business with ya.

With that, you wrap up your outing. As you leave you notice that the Possible Odin has vanished. You shrug, and decide to head back to the farmhouse to crash for the night, in the hopes that you can catch Becky. Sure enough, you can see that the light is on in the barn. Rebecca must still be messing around with her lab equipment.

You decide to drop in to help build your relationship with her back up. You had put your foot in your mouth before when you had pressured her to guarantee that she knew what she was doing... which led to her getting defensive, then turning on the waterworks.

You stride up to the barn that is serving as her makeshift lab and rap on the door twice.

REBECCA: Yeah? Come on in!

You swing the door open, and step inside. Your eyes adjust to the low lighting, and see Rebecca's ponytail swaying side to side as she paces around, inspecting her equipment and making small adjustments. She pauses when she realizes that it's you, and folds her arms, frowning at you.

REBECCA: Hey. You come down to lecture me again?

JOSEI: Ha... uh, nope? Just checking in on you.

REBECCA: I'm fine.

With the way she purses her lips and refuses to make eye contact, it's clear to you that she isn't fine. She's clearly still ruffled from your disagreement. You sigh, and decide to kick things off.

JOSEI: Becca... I'm sorry I pushed you as hard as I did earlier. I guess there's such a thing as being too cautious.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 15 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 20 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

REBECCA: Uh-huh.

She untenses slightly, and you can tell your words are making a small impact. She still doesn't look entirely happy.

REBECCA: Apology accepted, I guess. Anything else?

JOSEI: Well... I've also got some good news. I think I've found you a lab assistant.

Unlike your apology, this gets more of the reaction you were looking for. She immediately perks up at the idea of having extra hands on deck to help her out with her scientific experiments. She turns and stares at you in disbelief.

REBECCA: What?! For real? When can he start?

JOSEI: I haven't worked that out but I figure it'd be in two weeks? He'd need to give notice, and I'd have to work some things out. He's technically with Sami, for one. But still... I figure with another pair of hands you could really get a good setup going. Especially once we rescue your mom.

Rebecca contemplates you for a moment, and then pulls you into a tight hug. You awkwardly wrap your arms around her in response, and give her a pat on the back. She lets go, and you drop your arms.

Rebecca's turst has increased.

REBECCA: Thanks, Josei. I've... never had an assistant before? This is gonna be new for me.

JOSEI: Don't worry, we'll work it out. How's the setup going?

She beams at you, a smile lighting up her face with enthusiasm.

REBECCA: Great! I was able to do a couple surreptitious handshakes through the backdoor with mom's old equipment, back in the Leland Vault, and it seems like her old stuff is working fine. I just gotta fix up the resonance platform for the future portal.

You nod a bit, considering.

JOSEI: Is there a place you'd recommend to set up the portal?

Rebecca pauses, and thinks.

REBECCA: Not... really? I just figured we'd do it in the barn, by default.

You tap your chin.

JOSEI: What about in the basement of the house? In case, you know, something happens... it's a little more secure.

You make sure to keep a neutral tone, so she doesn't think you're criticizing her. Sure enough, she just gives a thoughtful nod.

REBECCA: Yeah? That might make sense. I could focus the equipment on the basement. That way if we get feedback or something we don't blow the setup out... or if something comes through that we don't want, it can't smash up the gear.

You give her a slap on the back, grinning.

JOSEI: Great! So like... you'll be pointing a reality hole creating laser at the basement, or something?

Rebecca rolls her eyes.

REBECCA: A bit overdramatic... but yeah, the resonance platform is going to get set up in the basement, the rest of the equipment stays here.

JOSEI: Alrighty. Let me know if you need any help.

The teen gives you a mock salute, and shoos you out of the barn, clearly wanting to get back to work on her equipment. You head on back to the farmhouse proper and crash in your bed. You fall asleep pondering how tomorrow is going to go.

The next morning, you're having a big cup of coffee when you get a text message. It's from Kyle Johnson. You check it, and can't help but grin. It looks like the bastard managed to get your record cleared. You text him back a thumbs-up emoji. He responds asking if that means you'll be stopping the mystery shadow man from stalking him. You decide to not respond, because it amuses you to leave him twisting in the wind for a little while longer. Besides, as far as you know, Kiara's still getting exorcised... so you can't do anything about the shade she bound to his home.

Josei is no longer considered a terrorist by mundane law enforcement agencies.

The setup for activating the equipment is fairly brief. You decide against going all out on setting up prepared defenses, and after discussion, the decision is made for kicking things off late at night. Since Becca's going to be firing up her mom's old equipment in the Leland Vault, you all figure doing it in the middle of the night was the best way to make sure there aren't loads of people on shift to mess with the equipment, or blow it up, or something.

With Ivan and Rebecca already hanging around, Gorelax is the next person - or being - to show up. The tentacled chef camps out in the farmhouse's kitchen, and seems quite delighted at the stove being set up for gas instead of electric. You're not sure why it matters, but he insists that he can detect subtle differences in flavor by cooking with either method. Since he's spending his free time helping out and even planning to cook food for you all in the evening, you have no problem letting him have free run of your kitchen. You let the other folks know that you're basically having an impromptu dinner party, of sorts... an informal one, kind of like the BBQ you all had a while ago.

Charlotte arrives at 4PM, and you dutifully show her around the property and talk about your future plans. She seems suprisingly enthusiastic, and caps off the tour by smooching your cheek, leaving you blushing redder than a beetroot as she disappears back into the guest bedroom she claimed.

As dusk falls, you look out the window and notice something odd. There's a distant light, bobbing around in the wooded area near the farmhouse. You scratch your head a bit, staring at it. You wonder if that's Rebecca... but then you see her walking out of the barn, heading towards the farmhouse. Maybe it's Nike? But he said he wouldn't arrive until 9PM.

> Now what?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ignore the light. It may be a will-o'-wisp, those tend to trick or mislead people. Or some other type of fairy creature.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Get Ivan and check out the light, just in case.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Call out to it. If there's no response or it runs off, locate the nearest rock/brick/whatever and chuck it at the light.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Aesculus posted:

Call out to it. If there's no response or it runs off, locate the nearest rock/brick/whatever and chuck it at the light.

McSpanky posted:

Get Ivan and check out the light, just in case.

Two to one for investigating.

You decide to go ask Ivan to help you investigate. You find him in the garage, cleaning and oiling a combat shotgun that he checked out of Sami's armory.

JOSEI: Hey bud... don't suppose you'd be down to come see if we got company?

He pauses.

IVAN: Why? What happened?

JOSEI: There's a weird light in the forest nearby. I'm trying to figure out if it's a will o' the wisp, or if it's an intruder.

He nods, setting his shotgun down on the workbench and picking up his Mosin-Nagant with bayonet affixed. He makes sure to chamber a round, and walks alongside you out of the garage. You have armed yourself with your cold iron assegai... between your Soul Speed Sneakers and the special enchantment it has, you feel fairly sure that is enough to keep yourself safe.

As you get closer to the forest, it gets no easier to make out if the light is just a floating orb, or if it is something held by a human being. You clear your throat, and call out.

JOSEI: Hello? You a friend or a foe?

There is no immediate answer. Instead, the light pauses for a moment. Then it begins to quickly move in the opposite direction from you and Ivan. You shrug, and chuck your assegai at it, as much to see what happens as anything else. The light winks out, and reappears several meters away from where it had been. You catch the assegai after it arcs back into your hand.

You blink, and exchange glances with Ivan.

JOSEI: Was... was that a person?

IVAN: No... I saw no face.

INSIGHT ROLL: 7 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 10 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

IVAN - INSIGHT ROLL: 7 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

You feel uncertain, and end up scratching your head a bit again. You have no idea what to make of this, and neither does Ivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
It's probably just a freaky thing that we don't need to pay much attention to, leave it at that and head back.