Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Temporary SGDQ Schedule is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
PJ and Murpha playing Gauntlet. Yes please.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crotch Bat posted:

PJ and Murpha playing Gauntlet. Yes please.
Here's hoping they don't patch out all the rest of the bugs before they run it. Cause you just know someone will update the drat thing on the marathon PCs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Solid lineup

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kirby block? Oh hell yes. Also Wave Race 64 will be pretty cool.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

CrashCat posted:

Here's hoping they don't patch out all the rest of the bugs before they run it. Cause you just know someone will update the drat thing on the marathon PCs.

The bugs already are patched out. They run an old version.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Violently Car posted:

The bugs already are patched out. They run an old version.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Will be fun when they somehow manage to get the wrong version on the computers for the marathon!

Anyway, looks like instead of an awful games block we get a silly games block:

Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue
Samurai Pizza Cats
Panic Restaurant
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Kid Niki 2
Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest
Muppet RaceMania
Space Station Silicon Valley
Stretch Panic
Roundabout
BONUS! Oregon Trail

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wait, wasn't Wolfenstein: The New Order accepted into SGDQ? It's not on the schedule.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

:black101: Tetris Block!!! :black101:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The Kirby's Avalanche vs Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine bid war is sandwiched between the Kirby and Sega blocks lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I think i'm going to make a real effort this time in the weeks following the marathon to have watch every single run. There's always been runs I've skipped entirely in previous GDQs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mp5 posted:

I think i'm going to make a real effort this time in the weeks following the marathon to have watch every single run. There's always been runs I've skipped entirely in previous GDQs.

some runs are bad and thats ok

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

How do you do a co-op run of Chrono Trigger? Are they just passing the controller back and forth?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

chiefnewo posted:

How do you do a co-op run of Chrono Trigger? Are they just passing the controller back and forth?
Essentia does the first half and puwexil does the second half. Wish it were more exciting than that but let's face it that game is mostly played to get asses in the seats. Still has a few cool tricks though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

The Kirby's Avalanche vs Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine bid war is sandwiched between the Kirby and Sega blocks lol

haha that's pretty great

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CrashCat posted:

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Will be fun when they somehow manage to get the wrong version on the computers for the marathon!

Samurai Pizza Cats
Panic Restaurant
Kid Niki 2
Muppet RaceMania
Stretch Panic
Roundabout
BONUS! Oregon Trail

at least three runners of those games post in this thread

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

SeXReX posted:

Hey I'll post just to make you look smart

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SeXReX posted:

Is shitposting really posting?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

CrashCat posted:

Samurai Pizza Cats
Panic Restaurant
Kid Niki 2
Muppet RaceMania
Stretch Panic
Roundabout
BONUS! Oregon Trail

I feel like Yo! Noid belongs on this list

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Oh wow, this is probably the strongest GDQ game lineup we've had yet (in my opinion at least), so good job to everyone involved in that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

At least they're getting sonic boom out of the way early

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mp5 posted:

At least they're getting sonic boom out of the way early

What? Sonic Boom owns as a speedgame.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

At least one in ten of my posts in this thread are sincere thank you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Studio posted:

if you arent shitposting then why are you on SA tbqh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still want a Sonic 06 300% run (glitches being exploited heavily, of course)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Wait, wasn't Wolfenstein: The New Order accepted into SGDQ? It's not on the schedule.
Some stuff might have been missed by accident. Ask Romscout about it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Someone (I think Darkspinessonic?) did a skip-to-the-credits-glitch run of Sonic 06 a few marathons back, but I think it was only Sonic and Shadow's stories. If someone's figured out a similar way to wreck Silver's story, it'd be pretty cool for it to make a return appearance.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i am happy for hello kitty: roller rescue. that game owns.

and so does space station silicon valley, the proto-gta. that game is loving amazing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

i am happy for hello kitty: roller rescue. that game owns.

and so does space station silicon valley, the proto-gta. that game is loving amazing.

Game: Space Station Silicon Valley
Category: 100%
Estimated Time: infinity

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lmaop

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Game: Space Station Silicon Valley
Category: 100%
Estimated Time: infinity

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The Kins posted:

Some stuff might have been missed by accident. Ask Romscout about it.

It's also possible it was one of the drops.

Expect more of them as it gets closer to the event because some people like to submit games without actually having any way of paying to get there, expecting to rake in the donations for free vacations like more popular streamers do.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

For anyone who cares about halo ce, 1:15:04 is the new wr and it's sick as hell.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Give me dragon quest ix 100 percent.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Trihex is running Yoshi's Island again? Didn't he at one point completely lose motivation for the game?

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

loving A, Wheel of Time got in after all. I watched Shaddex do a full run w/commentary when someone hosted him and he was pretty great.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

Trihex is running Yoshi's Island again? Didn't he at one point completely lose motivation for the game?

multiple times

i think he even wrote a pastebin about how he felt like survivors guilt except with popularity because he wasnt the best yoshis island speedrunner even though he was the most popular

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Amppelix posted:

A number of times. But he always comes back to it. He's been "coming back" to YI for quite a few years now.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yolshi posted:

loving A, Wheel of Time got in after all. I watched Shaddex do a full run w/commentary when someone hosted him and he was pretty great.

It's a really good run, and I am excited for it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

multiple times

i think he even wrote a pastebin about how he felt like survivors guilt except with popularity because he wasnt the best yoshis island speedrunner even though he was the most popular

Saturday Night, I raced Yoshi’s Island WR speed runner 2Stop for a charity marathon for /srg/. I lost by over 15 minutes, and had my portion of the run mercy killed.

I knew I wasn’t in any condition to keep up with 2stop, nor felt comfortable racing in the first place, but I also feared being called out for declining the challenge and having subtweets about me insulting me for it.

The reality is, I feel incredibly insecure about speed running Yoshi’s Island. I’ve always felt guilty about how I’m the most known runner for it, yet aren’t the best, not even top 5 for the category I play. Kind of like a “Survivor’s Guilt”. I keep thinking “If I just trap myself in a bubble, away from all the criticism, and become great, I’ll finally be happy with myself”.

Needless to say, feeling like this isn’t the recommended mindset for a marathon where all the meme copypasta and exploits of my openness come full play.

When already nervous & anxious, 3 minutes behind when at 5-4 skip, and failing it for 8 minutes, and donations read telling me I’m pathetic, never was a speed runner, & to quit and die … it hurts.

I already don’t feel I’ve yet justified being in this scene in my own thoughts, and my logic fails to compute the insults as obvious bait because it -is- how I feel.

2Stop winning, and even letting the credits play-out, out of mercy, wasn’t, at all, a factor. I knew I was gonna lose/be behind. The first half of the race was pleasant to participate in.

My initial thoughts were to quit, as I’ve almost committed to in the past. Speed running isn’t as happy/supportive/inviting as it used to be before streaming picked up in 2011.

Then it was to make an alt, abandon webcam, and isolate myself to where only the gameplay was the obligation in streaming.

After talking to some of my friends, and getting consoled, I feel I’m ready to come back. Hopefully stronger from really having to address all of this head-on.

For the first time, maybe being open about this will help me, or even help you. In the past when feeling like this, I would go afk for like 5-6 days and come back incredibly insecure about everything, and stream out of guilt, rather than pleasure.

I’ll see you all tonight!
-trihex, Dec 22 2014

P.S.

I did get some incredibly nice PM’s from some supportive friends that I wish I had responded to, but when in that isolation of depression, nothing seems helpful. It’s crazy how the power of perspective can do that.

Sorry if this seems rant-ish or moopy. I wrote it in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Eonwe posted:

Saturday Night, I raced Yoshi’s Island WR speed runner 2Stop for a charity marathon for /srg/. I lost by over 15 minutes, and had my portion of the run mercy killed.

I knew I wasn’t in any condition to keep up with 2stop, nor felt comfortable racing in the first place, but I also feared being called out for declining the challenge and having subtweets about me insulting me for it.

The reality is, I feel incredibly insecure about speed running Yoshi’s Island. I’ve always felt guilty about how I’m the most known runner for it, yet aren’t the best, not even top 5 for the category I play. Kind of like a “Survivor’s Guilt”. I keep thinking “If I just trap myself in a bubble, away from all the criticism, and become great, I’ll finally be happy with myself”.

Needless to say, feeling like this isn’t the recommended mindset for a marathon where all the meme copypasta and exploits of my openness come full play.

When already nervous & anxious, 3 minutes behind when at 5-4 skip, and failing it for 8 minutes, and donations read telling me I’m pathetic, never was a speed runner, & to quit and die … it hurts.

I already don’t feel I’ve yet justified being in this scene in my own thoughts, and my logic fails to compute the insults as obvious bait because it -is- how I feel.

2Stop winning, and even letting the credits play-out, out of mercy, wasn’t, at all, a factor. I knew I was gonna lose/be behind. The first half of the race was pleasant to participate in.

My initial thoughts were to quit, as I’ve almost committed to in the past. Speed running isn’t as happy/supportive/inviting as it used to be before streaming picked up in 2011.

Then it was to make an alt, abandon webcam, and isolate myself to where only the gameplay was the obligation in streaming.

After talking to some of my friends, and getting consoled, I feel I’m ready to come back. Hopefully stronger from really having to address all of this head-on.

For the first time, maybe being open about this will help me, or even help you. In the past when feeling like this, I would go afk for like 5-6 days and come back incredibly insecure about everything, and stream out of guilt, rather than pleasure.

I’ll see you all tonight!
-trihex, Dec 22 2014

P.S.

I did get some incredibly nice PM’s from some supportive friends that I wish I had responded to, but when in that isolation of depression, nothing seems helpful. It’s crazy how the power of perspective can do that.

Sorry if this seems rant-ish or moopy. I wrote it in a hurry.

there is a reason these things are put into pastebins.

• Locked thread