Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ya know, that was the first time it was actually confirmed Ackermans can't turn into titans.

That's a pretty sad ending. Eren's dream in the 1st chapter ends up being just that; a dream. I think it hits well for the theme. Every shifter and soldier in this story has died dreaming of what they would do if they didn't have to fight. Grisha and Kreger talked about the families and peaceful lives they could have lived instead of joining the resistance. Magath dies caring for the kids and wishing they could have lived a different life. And now Eren is exactly the same. Everyone has died fighting for the same freedom that could've been achieved if both sides would just stop fighting.

I guess next chapter is squashing the slug, everyone un-titanizes, Armin makes his big speech on peace, Ymir passes on with a smile then cue the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren and Mikasa share the dream? If it was only in Mikasa's head then why did Eren see it?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

That last panel is weird in how its' drawn, but I get the meaning behind it. It's not portrayed how it should be, but the intent of saying goodbye to someone that was a huge part of your life in sorrow is in line with what this series goes for.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bees x1000 posted:

Eren and Mikasa share the dream? If it was only in Mikasa's head then why did Eren see it?

Pretty sure it was a shared dream space he was conjuring for them

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Ymir did it because she’s a little creep and likes to watch people kiss

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Ya know, that was the first time it was actually confirmed Ackermans can't turn into titans.

That's a pretty sad ending. Eren's dream in the 1st chapter ends up being just that; a dream. I think it hits well for the theme. Every shifter and soldier in this story has died dreaming of what they would do if they didn't have to fight. Grisha and Kreger talked about the families and peaceful lives they could have lived instead of joining the resistance. Magath dies caring for the kids and wishing they could have lived a different life. And now Eren is exactly the same. Everyone has died fighting for the same freedom that could've been achieved if both sides would just stop fighting.

I guess next chapter is squashing the slug, everyone un-titanizes, Armin makes his big speech on peace, Ymir passes on with a smile then cue the epilogue.

I wonder.

Something I saw pointed out is that the manga has been closing out with EMA. Armin saved the world with talking last chapter, Mikasa managed to put everyone else ahead of Eren this chapter, and Eren...

hasn't been the viewpoint character for six months. Longer if you leave out flashbacks.

Whatever the last chapter is, it feels like it's going to have to have some pretty decent Eren focus in the mix. Flashback or not.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
That last panel is what you get when the closest thing to romance your character is allowed to feel is blind devotion. I guess it makes sense it's hosed up and creepy, just like their relationship had always been, becoming child killers together should've tipped us all off to be fair.

But honestly any number of slight edits could change the tone, something like this would probably be more palatable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HoneyBoy posted:

But honestly any number of slight edits could change the tone, something like this would probably be more palatable.

Why should it be palatable? It's always been a hosed up relationship. I'm fine with it being shown that way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't see how this story could be wrapped up in one more chapter without the message being, "Eren was right."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ethiser posted:

I don't see how this story could be wrapped up in one more chapter without the message being, "Eren was right."

I can see many.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Everyone Dies The End is the only way I can see this finishing in 45 pages. Will be disappointed with the Lelouch ending if for no other reason than it was mentioned as a cop-out within the story itself. Didn’t mind that chapter though, and I’m keen to see how it wraps up.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ethiser posted:

Agree, although that was almost always going to be the case post-rumbling. Negotiations had already broken down by the time Liberio started.
If Eren didn't rumble, then either Zeke or Marley ends up killing all the Eldians. Once the rumbling started, the world has no choice: they have to eliminate all possibility for the founding titan to return, lest some crazy dude in the future decides to restart Armageddon.
If the destruction of half? the world is what causes Marleyans and Eldians to repent and reconcile, then what you have in a effect is a really hamfisted version of a Watchmen ending. In effect, the rumbling achieved world peace when it was all but lost.
"Everyone Dies" is the only ending I can think of that avoids weird consequentialist justifications of the rumbling.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I still think it's possible that the "scenery" Eren saw might turn out to be his own PATHS fantasy that he gets to stay in forever, where everything worked out okay for him. That would be a suitably dark ending for him, because then all of his actions were driven by fear and a belief that no other options existed.
I'm also thinking that any peace that results from this will be ambiguous. Ceasefire for now, but who knows what will happen in the future. You just gotta keep working towards it. I think it's wise not to give a definitive answer of "and that's how we got peace forever". Again, it's very Watchmen, but Isayama has always cited Watchmen as an inspiration.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 6, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Where are the fuckin bees

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just realized what this ending really is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I just realized what this ending really is.

amazing

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
So this ending is already the best because all ships have been scuttled and shippers are going down with them

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i don’t dislike anything that just happened but it feels like we have 5+ chapters of loose ends and unexplained stuff to cover.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

i don’t dislike anything that just happened but it feels like we have 5+ chapters of loose ends and unexplained stuff to cover.

Yeah, same. At the very least, this didn't do a "Game of Thrones" or "ruin the story" as some people are saying. Let's just see how it wraps up.

Stuff that needs to be resolved:
- What vision drove Eren to pursue the Rumbling?
- (Potentially only relevant to anime) What were with all of those weird military uniforms Eren kept envisioning?
- What happens to Nidhogg?
- What happens to the newly-turned Titans?
- Historia's baby?

Stuff that I'd like to see resolved (assuming the Titan curse is lifted), but doubt will happen in this time frame:
- Some semblance of how the world will proceed after this
- Annie and Armin conclusion
- Gabi and Falco, ambassadors of peace
- Levi finally getting some rest
- Connie reuniting with his mom
- Jean ditches Mikasa for better girl Pieck
- Where the gently caress is Rico

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 6, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
At least the worm wasn’t controlling Eren and just seems to exist so Reiner can succeed at something for once. Mind control would ruin the story

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

hatty posted:

At least the worm wasn’t controlling Eren and just seems to exist so Reiner can succeed at something for once. Mind control would ruin the story

Yep, that was my #1 requirement. Even if Eren is pulling a God Emperor, it doesn't ruin things, just lessens them somewhat. Reiner beating worm to become the Hero who Destroyed All Titans is pretty rad.
I think the worm was just an animal at the end, doing the last thing it could to save its own life.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

HoneyBoy posted:

You say that but when I saw that for the first time in a theater I was expecting a head to fall out of the helmet and I began to laugh.

Just as hard as I laughed at the final page of this update.

Hey so wtf is going on in this panel?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Speaking of Reiner, I'm hilariously banking on a final chapter reveal that if Eren did nothing or did stuff differently, the worm would pull the same poo poo for another n'th thousand years, but this was the only future in which Reiner would actually do something genuinely heroic and end the cycle and he bet on that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DaveKap posted:

You say that but when I saw that for the first time in a theater I was expecting a head to fall out of the helmet and I began to laugh.

Just as hard as I laughed at the final page of this update.

Hey so wtf is going on in this panel?

He got punched.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I like this chapter. Less of a fan of the fact that there is only one more because I cannot imagine everything being wrapped up in that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’d be a great chapter 135

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

what’s insane is, every other loose thread aside, it’s not even guaranteed that Eren’s actually dead. there’s 45 pages of Attack on Titan left and we still know nothing about anything

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
There's no rule saying everything in fiction has to be wrapped up perfectly. Some of the best books I've read have unclear endings

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This one is weirder because people keep talking about what a compelling well developed character Eren is and we don't even know what he's doing or why he's doing it or anything about him at all really. Like there is still serious disagreement about whether he likes Mikasa at all, people think he was in love with and had sex with Historia, like this is all just crazy. This is a lack of clarity about any fundamental truths about the main character (and people say he's great?).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 6, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It hasn't been spelled out exactly but ever since Eren pancakes Liberio I have been following this poo poo and have not really been too confused on the motives.
SMASH EVERYONE EVER except people I like devote your hearts

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He wants to stomp everyone but he’s really sad about it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

I like this chapter. Less of a fan of the fact that there is only one more because I cannot imagine everything being wrapped up in that

Here's where I bring up North by Northwest, which went from the climax of the action to the credits in forty six seconds.

More recently, and more comparably, there's Chainsaw Man.

Chapter 95 starts with the hero standing alone against the villain of the manga, quite literally the last thing on Earth standing between her and world domination.

Chapter 95 ends with her tearing out his heart after defeating him in hand-to-hand combat.

Then we found out the manga ended with chapter 97. Needless to say, people had some doubts that there'd be a satisfying ending.

Then came chapter 96, and everything was wrapped up well enough for chapter 97 to basically be an epilogue. (And a lead-in for the upcoming sequel in Jump Plus).

Those two chapters of Chainsaw Man combined added up to 40 pages. Shorter than the final chapter of Attack on Titan.

I'm not saying the finale will be good. Frankly, I'm as nervous as anyone. But part of that tension is knowing that it's possible to have a really satisfying ending in the pages remaining. There's a cold comfort to despair. Hope, by contrast, is tense.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I’m mostly worried because so much of what makes AoT good has been riding on the eventual explanation and resolution. It needs to stick the landing or there’s a risk of the whole thing feeling cheapened.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

jean and connie and everyone are gonna be alright and everyone who disagrees can eat poo poo

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I’m mostly worried because so much of what makes AoT good has been riding on the eventual explanation and resolution. It needs to stick the landing or there’s a risk of the whole thing feeling cheapened.

Not really?

The stuff that had to be answered, what Eren was doing and what motivated him has been answered. Seeing the state of the world after all this, was he the father or not, what is the nidhogg creature, none of that actually has to be answered. Everything else was just the collision of those decisions.

The only answer we have to know, is what the actual end goal he hoped to achieve was from all this which I expect we’ll find out next chapter.

All the other stuff does not have to be explained , some like the Nidhogg I don’t ever want to be explained. You can leave elements like that alone for speculation.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want to know what scenery Eren saw that got him motivated, he showed it to Grisha too I think

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I like how it's 2 chapters in a row where Reiner is mud wrassling the source of all life in a battle to the death (lol). Should have let him die when you had the chance you wormy piece of poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the dentist titan be like :getin:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I had I hoped Eren would turn out to still be at Paradis and would restart the Rumbling by touching Historia's baby (who'd have inherited the Beast). Something like that seems might've fit "The Mist" vibe Isayama has talked about as his initially planned, darker route for the conclusion.

But that got struck down by turning the Founding Titan into its own independent entity with the worm. Eren being inside his titan body's mouth was disappointingly convenient, but regrowing a body out of the severed head for a final slugging match was cool at least, even if it was extremely brief and made little sense now that he was down to just the Attack & Warhammer.

I guess Armin will eat the worm now to inherit the Founder?

This could've easily been two chapters to give the drama and action a little more time, but I suppose Isayama was concerned about the arc overestaying its welcome, so close to the end?

Also, I echo the sentiment that we've had unsettlingly little insight on Eren and Historia for so long, so that's probably where the epilogue will be heading. It seems odd an author would simply write out his self-professed favorite character, even if her personal storyline had played itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Conspiratiorist posted:

I had I hoped Eren would turn out to still be at Paradis and would restart the Rumbling by touching Historia's baby (who'd have inherited the Beast)

The earlier fake leak where Historias baby turned into a giant bee beast (beest) titan was amazing and I wish it were real.