Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you’re gonna use ant stings as a rite of passage do it right and use bullet ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Fire ants are invasive in North America. Kill 'em all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In training we dropped an antenna mast on a fire ant nest and got a bunch of them swarming up and down on it. Got bit a few times. Did not enjoy it. Would not stick my hand in a nest no matter how bored I was.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dick Burglar posted:

Fuckin' a.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Dick Burglar posted:

*White people

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just people in general, really. We followed the megafauna here to slaughter and eat them all. As a species we're the most invasive motherfuckers there are, white or otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peopling_of_the_Americas posted:

The traditional theory is that Ancient Beringians moved when sea levels were significantly lowered due to the Quaternary glaciation, following herds of now-extinct Pleistocene megafauna along ice-free corridors that stretched between the Laurentide and Cordilleran ice sheets.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dick Burglar posted:

They're invasive in most of the temperate world at this point. Except, oddly enough, Buenos Aires where they're native

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Discussion Quorum posted:

They're invasive in most of the temperate world at this point. Except, oddly enough, Buenos Aires where they're native

So wait, Beunos Aires? Well now I'm torn do we have to hit it with a rock to kill them all at the same time THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO GO

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I fell into a pile of them at fort benning Moore doing “I’m up, he sees me, I’m down!” sprint drills during PT one morning. I had ~60 dime-sized welts across both my legs and couldn’t barely run afterwards :gonk:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
But that machine gunner never got you, Joe!

Checkmate

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

content

https://i.imgur.com/bzznZT3.mp4

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Good ol' target fixation :discourse:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I was at a WWII airshow recently and they had a demonstration drop from a C47.

One guy in the first stick got caught in a thermal and just hung there in the sky for five minutes, drifting slowly downrange. The 47 had to do a few orbits just waiting for him to descend before it came back in to drop the rest.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I like the shoulder angel/devil contrast of "SLIP AWAY! SLIP AWAY!" and "HIT IT! HIT IT!"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Phanatic posted:

I was at a WWII airshow recently and they had a demonstration drop from a C47.

One guy in the first stick got caught in a thermal and just hung there in the sky for five minutes, drifting slowly downrange. The 47 had to do a few orbits just waiting for him to descend before it came back in to drop the rest.

I got tasked out a lot for medical support (sit in a HMMWV and do nothing, I wasn't even a medic) for the airborne units dropping in, and I assume they all use the same parachute? Tiny little guys would up floating around for ages. One guy took so long to come down that we were talking about it on the radio for over ten minutes, wondering if we'd end up having to chase him.

And then the big guys just coming in like loving lawn darts. Ugh.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There was a Mortar Squad leader when I was in the 82d who the Jumpmasters actually weighed with his kit before jumps, and sometimes exchanging equipment after getting rigged. Dude was built like a fridge, solid muscle, squat but wide.

When I asked, I was told that while 1 chute will get 2 people to the ground 'safely', that doesn't mean 'uninjured'. His weight with kit put him into a higher risk category for injuries. They may have done it with other guys, but I was in his stick and saw it.

Reminder- every landing is an unprotected car crash.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

"We recognize the condition of your knees but have determined it is not service related. Disability denied"

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Paratroopers and CG small boats, it's not a matter of if you're getting hurt it's how bad and when.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

There was a Mortar Squad leader when I was in the 82d who the Jumpmasters actually weighed with his kit before jumps, and sometimes exchanging equipment after getting rigged. Dude was built like a fridge, solid muscle, squat but wide.

When I asked, I was told that while 1 chute will get 2 people to the ground 'safely', that doesn't mean 'uninjured'. His weight with kit put him into a higher risk category for injuries. They may have done it with other guys, but I was in his stick and saw it.

How much did the guy weigh kitted up that it was a problem? Are we talking something wild like 300+ lbs or something?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
mortar, baseplate, 4-6 rounds of HE, assorted gear plus std combat load and being heavy and hitting the ground pretty darn fast

hell i had a 249, and at 156 pounds i still thought those guys had it rough

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn’t that why they used to give the heavy weapons separate parachutes? And then have to scramble to try and arm-up after landing?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

How much did the guy weigh kitted up that it was a problem? Are we talking something wild like 300+ lbs or something?

Paratroopers exiting weighing 300 pre-chute weight isn't terribly unusual, so it would have to be higher than that, I would think. Average Grunt size would be 175-200. 40lbs minimum for kit before ruck- mine never weighed under 65. That's assuming you aren't jumping extra poo poo, like a Javelin or whatnot. I don't think I did a jump in the 82nd where all told I wasn't getting close to or over 300.

I'm thinking that his mass of a dead star, and all his kit would have pushed him closer to 400.
He was a very angry man.

E-

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn’t that why they used to give the heavy weapons separate parachutes? And then have to scramble to try and arm-up after landing?

We do drop heavy weapons (50s and MK19) seperate- in the trucks they get mounted on. Mortars are more akin to a machine gun team- a MG team without an MG is gonna have a bad time.

It had to be learned multiple times by every nation to drop your guys ready to fight organically- mortars and MGs need to stay organic. You can supply drop them extra poo poo, but that extra poo poo means nothing of you can't get to it. Everyone tried weapon canisters, most disastrously the Germans, who jumped completely unarmed, except for maybe a pistol or flare gun, and then had to retrieve the cannister containing your weapon.

I think my rambling answered, but I'm having a problem concentrating today.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 18, 2024

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Considering the likely fact his knees are the consistency of broken glass id be a very angry man to. I can't imagine how your spine feels

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

That sounds like a good way to accidentally deliver your entire mortar section to the enemy. Or a lake.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was 200, and just my IOTV with plates was 55 pounds. I can see hitting 300 pounds easy, and when those guys "land" they look like they get hit by a car.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Any discussion of modern paratroopers requires me to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL-rdzMo1MU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd almost forgotten this.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

I know shaping the beret is a US thing, but it still gets me when I see other nations berets all poofed out

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hell of a makeover on display there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or the hollywood string dangling poo poo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was a Dragon gunner, and that bastard had a special weapon case you had to rig up...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

That sounds like a good way to accidentally deliver your entire mortar section to the enemy. Or a lake.

Mostly IIRC it resulted in paratroops bumbling around in the pre-dawn darkesss trying to figure out where the hell their weapons landed, then getting shot by a patrol.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

not caring here posted:

I was 200, and just my IOTV with plates was 55 pounds. I can see hitting 300 pounds easy, and when those guys "land" they look like they get hit by a car.

260, full kit, ruck AND aid bag, I would've looked like one of those up-armored rattletrap shitbox humvees burning in with hosed chutes. "Light" infantry was bad enough, fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

260, full kit, ruck AND aid bag, I would've looked like one of those up-armored rattletrap shitbox humvees burning in with hosed chutes. "Light" infantry was bad enough, fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I feel for you. I weighed 180 and was carrying a full Dragon loadout, M16A1, ruck and a couple of spare missiles. Walking like a penguin was never more accurate. gently caress 82nd.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was a Dragon gunner, and that bastard had a special weapon case you had to rig up...

I'm pretty sure they used the same system to jump the Javelin. I got qualified to jump the Jav and never touched one otherwise.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What was CARDBOARD HONEYCOMB ENERGY DISSIPATER for? Something particularly fragile on the Dragon or for the pack as a whole?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Robert Facepalmer posted:

What was CARDBOARD HONEYCOMB ENERGY DISSIPATER for? Something particularly fragile on the Dragon or for the pack as a whole?
The missile tube is carried vertically, and the dissipator goes on the bottom end.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm so glad I never went Army Airborne, my knees are already bad enough now and I'm USAF in a desk job; I'd be in a wheelchair.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I did the school, and it’s probably the only school across the entire military that the army hadn’t sucked all the fun out of yet. They’re doing their best, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Good thing mass airborne landings are still a relevant technique