Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I just want to say, goddamn there was a reason why fury runes were so hard to get in the Suikoden games. Meanwhile I'm just swimming in Warriors/Mages pinnacle runes because I'm testing everyone out in Hero Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dread Delusion hit 1.0 this week and...IDK how to feel about it. Cool aesthetics and atmosphere but for some reason everywhere online people are trying to sell it as a Morrowind like game and it's just...Not? It does not play like Morrowind, at all. It doesn't have a big open world to explore, it doesn't have a skill or combat system like Morrowind, etc. Literally have no idea why this comparison keeps being made as a pitch. It has a weird alien like world and that's I guess enough for something to be "Morrowind" these days.

I can tell it's a competently made game but it's just not grabbing me at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Giant mushrooms = Morrowind, simple as

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loading Screens that hide my console rebooting = Morrowind

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Attacks that physically connect but still whiff because of dice roll = Morrowind.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cant believe the definition of morrowind is having rpg combat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

cant believe the definition of morrowind is having rpg combat

i think it actually is a design sin when dice rolls mix with skill-based elements in that way. like morrowind is not, quake, but it does feel stupid that, to hit a moving target with arrows, you have to both have the physical skill to shoot a moving target with arrows with your mouse, and then pass a dice roll. i think first person RPGs moved away from that poo poo or at least abstracted it via other methods like crosshair "bloom" for good reason

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think part of it is that a "miss" in a lot of rpgs especially of that time conflates both the idea of completely whiffing an attack and things like glancing ineffectually off armor

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
dicerolls are good, but morrowind should show the rolls because despite having different directional melee animations none of it matters so just spam down swing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll give morrowind a pass because oblivion's solution was somehow much more insane and frustrating. okay now every attack can hit. but don't worry it won't matter if you try to play this as too much of a normal rpg cause all your attacks will only hit for 1hp eventually

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the fundamental issue is that, elder scrolls games suck rear end. even the good ones.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah kinda

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'll take the brave stance as a ex-ES hater that they're good actually, skyrim prob sucks tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think 3d fallout is the weirdest cause it's the closest they come to combat that has like. feedback. the dismemberment system lends a lot to that. but it still never really rises above functional and well now we're in starfield era and it's roughly where it's been since fallout 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Honest Thief posted:

I'll take the brave stance as a ex-ES hater that they're good actually, skyrim prob sucks tho

morrowind has a lot of fun stuff if you have prior knowledge or patience to get through its early game and don't mind something that's more about the weird experience than having a game that works. oblivion's got some fun quests and decently fun bits of writing if you don't mind that it somehow works worse than morrowind while being much more limited. skyrim is bad, its world can be enjoyable to gently caress around in with mods but its gameplay is not more functional than oblivion and its writing is somehow several levels worse, not just in that it's bad at setting up drama or stakes but it barely even understands the concept of fun so it's incapable of treating any of its ideas in a way that could be called anything more than, fascinating for how joyless it is

arena and daggerfall are kinda cute but more interesting as aspirational early ideas of what rpgs could be than uh. video games you play. battlespire and the mobile games are funny. has anyone even ever played redguard. i played like two hours of it and all i remember is you meet a woad man

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 16, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
morrowind won me over as soon as I understood its mechanics, while Daggerfall enthralled me with how freeform it was
my appreciation for Oblivion comes from how much they tried leveraging AI lifestyle simulation, even if pared down compared to other CRPGs, but it also doesn't break as often as some of those games
skyrim, I never played but being what looks like a stealth archer game just feels kinda one note

The Colonel posted:

has anyone even ever played redguard. i played like two hours of it and all i remember is you meet a woad man
i could never got it to run on my pentium 3, so two thumbs down

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Skyrim sanded down so much of the RPG systems that it really hurt the whole experience IMO. The world can be fun to walk around in and it does have a decent game loop of finding cave/temple/ruins - > get loot at the end - > repeat. but the actual moment to moment gameplay is so boring. unmodded skill perks are super underwhelming and it's just bleh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forspoken's DLC runs a lot smoother than the base game, but it also has narrow crevices you have to sidle through so who can say if its actually better.

The character writing is now correct tonally for how much an rear end in a top hat everyone should be with each other, but the writers seem to have forgotten Cuff's actual backstory so the timeline doesn't make any sense not that it did much before.

Also, lol, I was right. They would realize they forgot to address main setting details but its not even in the main game, its in the DLC. Absolute failure here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overall what gets me about bethesda is the steady degeneration of their ability to like. be funny. morrowind was an extremely funny game while being extremely stone faced, it's a game willing to throw you into a ton of bizarre situations with characters the later games would not even consider writing. oblivion had pretty good jokes, there's at least a few characters in that game people remember just for how goofy they were, one of the most famous parts of the game was an entire guild questline that was mostly weird black comedy. fallout 3 has a few iconically funny lines but then a lot of the game feels like it's trying way too hard. skyrim does not have a single moment that i could say made me laugh on purpose. i didnt play fallout 4 but starfield is like a charisma black hole

Honest Thief posted:

morrowind won me over as soon as I understood its mechanics, while Daggerfall enthralled me with how freeform it was
my appreciation for Oblivion comes from how much they tried leveraging AI lifestyle simulation, even if pared down compared to other CRPGs, but it also doesn't break as often as some of those games
skyrim, I never played but being what looks like a stealth archer game just feels kinda one note

oblivion's problem is that its fundamental rpg systems make a lot of the progression of an rpg functionally pointless, if you try to play it as a normal video game instead of abusing how its level scaling works to make sure the game never pushes its secret numbers up it will punish you harder than daigo umehara

skyrim's problem is that it's barely even a video game anymore, you basically break the game by breathing now and stealth and magic has even less to it than it used to with their respective guild questlines not even requiring you to use them at all but the basic combat still feels bad so what are we left with here

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 16, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wouldn't mind a Fallout game whose gunplay isn't any more advanced than 4, but with New Vegas's roleplaying.

Fallout 4 felt very thin without any decision making in quests, and heavily focusing on combat did the game no favors with the small enemy roster. The notion of "legendary enemies" felt tacked on since they weren't any different from regular folks outside of stats. There's also no in-universe reason why they'd drop random gear either.

The Witcher 3 came out the same year, and the constant monster hunting made sense since Geralt is a lifelong monster hunter and Yu-Gi-Oh player. The roster of enemies is much larger and able to sustain the game's length. While there are no social stats like Speech or Barter, you still get to roleplay outside combat. Fallout 4 couldn't help feel meagre by comparison, especially with the new focus on randomly-generated missions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh everything I love about witcher 3 has nothing to do with the combat which I actually think sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only played witcher 2. felt like it was uh. trying? for something? there? but man it did not find the legs to make it work

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the more you move out from an abstraction of combat, like simple repeatable swings, the more you need to design an actually good feel system, like Witcher 1 had a very simple stance system but it worked on a basic level

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 4 has pretty good combat, one solid npc everybody runs into, some fun locales with interconnection, and a looooooooot of filler paste game nutrient in between which most horribly infests the main quest.

I'll never know what Starfield offers other than your parents (who were fun for the one joke) but like I didn't need to play Starfield any further than the space travel tutorial to know the entire game was built wrong and quit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cyberpunk phantom liberty is the best cdpr game. scared???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fallout 4's problem is that this seems to legitimately be just. how bethesda views fallout. this is what they think fallout games are. which you know, honestly, sure, go ahead. fallout having zero cohesive design or tonal identity that different teams can agree on might as well be baked into its genes at this point. just at least make it, actually fun, and not really boring

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Phantom Liberty rework showed that maybe they've found their footing, but combat systems in CDPR games have always been disappointing. Besides the technical issues, launch CP2077 was a complete mess balance- and mechanics-wise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's at least really funny how much insane bullshit 3 extrapolated out of minor aspects of 1 and 2's systems. why'd you take the karma system that was mostly a barely notable aesthetic thing and decide to apply it to several sweeping structural ideas in this game. why does my childhood rival butch refuse to come on a journey with me unless i'm keeping exact neutral moral balance, no more, no less. why'd you create Good Bounty Hunters and Bad Bounty Hunters. is it less hosed up to cut off a dude's finger than to cut off their ear. either way the good guys are still collecting their own box of nondescript human limbs. they don't know where these fingers are coming from they just assume if you're selling them a finger it must've been a bad guy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

cyberpunk phantom liberty is the best cdpr game. scared???

No, Ive been saying it since 1.5.

Although I am a sucker for a massive, sprawling game that understands it only gets so many themes so gently caress you everything is a meditation on them you will confront these.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
though a lot of people say witcher 3 blood and wine is the cdpr high point and i need to play it. though i dont think it has guns, or cars, so its probably not as good

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
not even sexual conquests cards

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

though a lot of people say witcher 3 blood and wine is the cdpr high point and i need to play it. though i dont think it has guns, or cars, so its probably not as good

Definitely does not have you and your forced buddy riding a broke down roller coaster as he begrudgingly actually just has fun for once in his goddamn life.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

skyrim is bad, its world can be enjoyable to gently caress around in with mods but its gameplay is not more functional than oblivion

im gonna push back on this. skyrim combat may be boring/unbalanced and push everyone toward being a stealth archer but oblivion combat was literally unplayable at high levels if you played normally, every single trash mob became damage sponge that took 2 minutes of standing there swinging a weapon to kill.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My Arthur Morgan beat up a lot of people by mistake, because the button to get on your horse is the same one that decks civilians in the face. I managed to ease my conscience and get the good Karma ending by just throwing fish in the river after catching them.

Karma Systems are lit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bethesda's Fallouts are resoundingly Okay and when taken as a whole are kind of bland. And this is actually weird, because that's also the franchise where they're much more willing to experiment and try to be, for lack of a better term, daring.

Elder Scrolls is Bethesda playing it safe but players turn them into weird toyboxes and break them wide open. Fallout is Bethesda trying to recapture that toybox magic and players just kind of going, yeah this is alright I suppose.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Never ended up playing Blood and Wine myself either. Was too burned out after main game + Heart of Stone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stexils posted:

im gonna push back on this. skyrim combat may be boring/unbalanced and push everyone toward being a stealth archer but oblivion combat was literally unplayable at high levels if you played normally, every single trash mob became damage sponge that took 2 minutes of standing there swinging a weapon to kill.

okay that is true i mostly meant that skyrim doesn't fix the problem where the entire game is about hitting things and it still barely ever feels like you're hitting things. it's okay for the entire game to be hitting things if the hitting things feels good, or for the hitting things to not feel that good if you have a wider variety of things you can do to things besides the hitting of the things. alas...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main thing i'd install whenever i'd try to start a new playthrough of skyrim and not get past whiterun after a point was stuff like a mod that creates holidays people celebrate in towns and at that point i think i realized what i wanted wasn't skyrim it was just animal crossing or tongari boushi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
or rune factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its like how people fantasized that star citizen would be so immersive that you could play as a space bartender if you wanted to. make a game like thjat