Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Still halfway into the newest episode but I kinda like the Mando Blade Runner episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Sash! posted:

When I told my wife that Lizzo turned up in a Star Wars, her first reaction was "is she going to be in more episodes" followed by "did she play a space flute?"

If anything, yes, she should have played a space flute and Jack Black should have been even more over the top. Straight-up Hedonismbot over the top.

*While watching a campy live reinactment of A New Hope*
"An Opera, in space you say? How delightful, my dear!"

I wish Herzog's character wasn't killed off, because then they could have both him and Lloyd as these right wing cranks spreading transmissions across the galaxy Alex Jones style while people on Coruscant are nodding thoughtfully.

"Look, I worked for the empire a long time, no way could they build a super laser powerful enough to obliterate an entire planet. We have records from the Battle of Endor that the improved Death Star II was barely capable of destroying a hospital ship. Clearly the rebels blew up Alderaan to frame the Emperor! "

"No doubt, friend. And don't get me started on those space wizards. Separatists finally get a sovereign that gets the hyperloops to run on time and they cut him down! It's Jedi Blood Libel pure and simple!"

Coruscant Liberal: "Well I don't entirely agree but we'd be hypocrites to not hear them out."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a chance jack and lizzo paid the mercenaries to jailbreak off gideon

Kinda like how dooku played both sides so he'd always come out on top

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

At least they had the foresight to strip the B2s of their arm blasters, otherwise that could have gone a lot worse. Never expected to see one haul rear end like that though.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 6, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

moist turtleneck posted:

Is there a chance jack and lizzo paid the mercenaries to jailbreak off gideon

Kinda like how dooku played both sides so he'd always come out on top

No, that was Palpatine. Dude played the whole galaxy against itself with the Clone Wars, while kicking back with his feet up and having to give zero fucks about which side won because either way he'd be the guy on top.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sash! posted:

If anything, yes, she should have played a space flute and Jack Black should have been even more over the top. Straight-up Hedonismbot over the top.
In the RPG I ran I had a Hutt Who was Hedonismbot. Painted himself gold and had robot legs on his palaquin to wander around. Players loved it.

So obviously you are correct. He should have been gold

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rappaport posted:

My only objection remains that Grogu cheated :argh: But it's kind of great that Din figured out a way to rules-lawyer around the Darksaber nonsense, because it is all nonsense, he doesn't want it, Bo does, and well here you go, my friend.

It was more fun when Din went space cow-boy with The Judge's favourite, Timothy Olyphant, but Din and Bo being space Columbo was still entertaining. And come on, Doc Brown as the bad guy?

Bo saved his life twice that episode, and her having the thing is a win for everyone, so it's win win.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Why weren't there any IG units to borrow from the ugnauts

Jon Favreau turned into a too busy/awful writer and that was abandoned.

Jonathan Banks would've made a better villain. Give him like five more minutes on screen and better lines and it would've been so much better. The villain's motive made absolutely no sense at all.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Alchenar posted:

Also it's obvious that these Mandalorians were the ones who jailbreaked Moff Gideon, right?

I don't think it is at all. Could've been Gideon's own forces or maybe more likely his possible boss Thrawn who left Beskar there to implicate the Mandalorians for it because they see them as a threat. It also could've been a yet unseen in live action Mandalorian doing their own mission who is already casted for it, Sabine.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Panfilo posted:

These honor duels always seem a little suspect because looking at all the recall election bullshit we have in real life politics, you better bet every craven career climbing little poo poo of a foundling is gonna be issuing challenges at really convenient times to undermine leadership and fragment governments. Hmm I suppose that's why Mandalore went to poo poo huh.

Literally is why Mandalore went to poo poo. Who knew honor duels are bad for government?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Jon Favreau turned into a too busy/awful writer and that was abandoned.

I think he’ll pick it up later.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think probably IG will pop out, fixed off camera, to help the heroes as a surprise in the final battle while the babus celebrate. Or something like that, classic audience cheer moment

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alchenar posted:

There was literally a speech about how they are heartless mercenaries who take jobs and don't care at the start of the episode.

Their job was to kidnap Space Romeo and they felt bad about that, helping Space Hitler escape justice feels like a huge step beyond that.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think probably IG will pop out, fixed off camera, to help the heroes as a surprise in the final battle while the babus celebrate. Or something like that, classic audience cheer moment

The Babus should be piloting it somehow.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s not like he just didn’t find a source for old drone parts.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that we got to see how the "putting former Imperials into positions of power" can work sometimes and isn't purely a recipe for disaster. Granted there's plenty of problems to the ~paradise planet~ we saw, but at least it being a front for the rebuilding of the Empire isn't one of them!

This might've been the most pure fun episode of Mando so far for me since I loved the guest stars and the whole setup at work here came across to me as probably the most Star Wars-y thing we've seen from any of the Disney+ Star Wars shows. Maybe it's just the weird sense I have for what Star Wars is due to all the EU/Legends books I read, which often had characters delving deep into particular alien cultures and had plenty of space royalty in them, but everything in this episode just really landed for me. It definitely wasn't the best episode of Mando, and I'm sure any given episode of Andor would kick its butt in many different ways, but I'd love to see at least one episode like this one in all my Star Wars shows.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I think it's been clear for a while that Din didn't want the dark sabre, does not get on with it (can barely use it) and would have considered ways to get it into the hands of Bo Katan.

Some of the best parts of showing her character this season has been that despite her intense desire and need for it, at no time did she try and betray Din, steal it, or even intimate that he was unworthy of it. Her defence of him as Mandalorian also made that clear.

It's been a useful device. Din literally wants nothing to do with the expectations that come with holding that thing, he wants it in the hands of someone committed to using it as intended. I also appreciate the fact that he isn't an unstoppable badass at all times. He needs other people.

I really enjoyed this episode. Goofy, self contained fun with some advancement of main plot. Perfect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ClydeFrog posted:

I think it's been clear for a while that Din didn't want the dark sabre, does not get on with it (can barely use it) and would have considered ways to get it into the hands of Bo Katan.

Some of the best parts of showing her character this season has been that despite her intense desire and need for it, at no time did she try and betray Din, steal it, or even intimate that he was unworthy of it. Her defence of him as Mandalorian also made that clear.

It's been a useful device. Din literally wants nothing to do with the expectations that come with holding that thing, he wants it in the hands of someone committed to using it as intended. I also appreciate the fact that he isn't an unstoppable badass at all times. He needs other people.

I really enjoyed this episode. Goofy, self contained fun with some advancement of main plot. Perfect.

It's also why he's probably gonna end up with it again by the end of the season and probably accidentally crowned King of Mandalore. Power traditionally goes to the one that doesn't crave it in stories. Also Bo might've seen the Mythosaur, but she's forgetting she only saw it cause Din fell, or possibly got pulled, down into its lair. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "He got chosen, she just witnessed it" thing there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This ep was corny in just the right way and works as a flag planted in the opposite end of the spectrum from what Andor is doing, both being great ways to do a star war.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

This poo poo seems like fer babies

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Welcome to Star Wars, please enjoy your stay.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Stars Wars has always had one foot in gloriously trashy pulp sci if, Astounding Stories type stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So they could do a Logan's Run tribute. Tube-cars and all!

Plus the berzerk droid with cutting lasers was also 100% a Logan's Run reference.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That DICK! posted:

Say that to my face

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That DICK! posted:

Agreed, this was the worst episode of the show and this whole season has been pretty awful.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I love how Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd both had a line of dialogue before their faces were shown on screen, so you have this moment of "Wait a minute, is that...."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

OK. I just caught the episode. The good and the bad:

The Good

-The set design, as always, is totally on point. Very bright, vibrant, the colors were so stimulating I often found myself pointing out ones I like.

-It’s maybe a bit more phoned in than it used to be but drat the music still slaps. Two scenes in and I'm hopping around the room and clapping with the rhythm.

The Bad (Oh Christ, where to start)

-The sudden overreliance on guest characters. Takes me completely out of the magical mystical world I’m supposed to be losing myself to. And for what? The show got along just fine without Captain Kangaroo bumbling on-screen with some vaguely relevant subplot about train conducting.

-The puppet. Ugh, the puppet. I’ve been consistently impressed how they work around the limitations of the puppet but by this point it’s really starting to show. The lengths they have to go to on the design side to obscure the hand puppetry is so obvious now it’s distracting, and on your average 4K TV the puppet just looks like poo poo. A dirty cross-eyed lamb that looks so mottled that it should be put down, oh yeah, that’s what the people like to see. They need to move to full CGI.

-The plots have gone progressed over the course of the show from ‘quaint, but with stakes’ to ‘so mind-numbingly simple and obvious as to be insulting.’ I think back to classics like “Too Sick To Go To The Circus” – where the characters are dealing with problems that feel REAL - Lamb Chop is very excited to go to the circus but got sick and is forced with great consternation over the course of the episode to realize that for the greater good of public health she must stay home in bed. It’s like, genuinely soul-crushing and you’re feeling that anguish right along with her. This latest episode is the exact same poo poo except with Chicken Pox, no circus, and NO heart.

-The mains are all fine, but at this point the ancillary characters need to be put on a truck and shipped off to Farmer Swanson’s Barn upstate. We already had a self-centered dipshit who forced themselves into the center of every single plot (Charlie Horse) but oh boy, one wasn’t enough so here’s Buster the Bus to make Arty Aardvark look like Samantha the loving Seal.

End of the day for me it was a 6/10. I’m still kind of invested in the plot (as non existent as it is at this point) so I’ll see this season out, but I’m slowly coming to the realization that I’m never gonna have my mind blown by an episode like “Lamb Chop’s Allowance” ever again. At least Shari Lewis can still loving get it.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That DICK! posted:

OK. I just caught the episode. The good and the bad:

The Good

-The set design, as always, is totally on point. Very bright, vibrant, the colors were so stimulating I often found myself pointing out ones I like.

-It’s maybe a bit more phoned in than it used to be but drat the music still slaps. Two scenes in and I'm hopping around the room and clapping with the rhythm.

The Bad (Oh Christ, where to start)

-The sudden overreliance on guest characters. Takes me completely out of the magical mystical world I’m supposed to be losing myself to. And for what? The show got along just fine without Captain Kangaroo bumbling on-screen with some vaguely relevant subplot about train conducting.

-The puppet. Ugh, the puppet. I’ve been consistently impressed how they work around the limitations of the puppet but by this point it’s really starting to show. The lengths they have to go to on the design side to obscure the hand puppetry is so obvious now it’s distracting, and on your average 4K TV the puppet just looks like poo poo. A dirty cross-eyed lamb that looks so mottled that it should be put down, oh yeah, that’s what the people like to see. They need to move to full CGI.

-The plots have gone progressed over the course of the show from ‘quaint, but with stakes’ to ‘so mind-numbingly simple and obvious as to be insulting.’ I think back to classics like “Too Sick To Go To The Circus” – where the characters are dealing with problems that feel REAL - Lamb Chop is very excited to go to the circus but got sick and is forced with great consternation over the course of the episode to realize that for the greater good of public health she must stay home in bed. It’s like, genuinely soul-crushing and you’re feeling that anguish right along with her. This latest episode is the exact same poo poo except with Chicken Pox, no circus, and NO heart.

-The mains are all fine, but at this point the ancillary characters need to be put on a truck and shipped off to Farmer Swanson’s Barn upstate. We already had a self-centered dipshit who forced themselves into the center of every single plot (Charlie Horse) but oh boy, one wasn’t enough so here’s Buster the Bus to make Arty Aardvark look like Samantha the loving Seal.

End of the day for me it was a 6/10. I’m still kind of invested in the plot (as non existent as it is at this point) so I’ll see this season out, but I’m slowly coming to the realization that I’m never gonna have my mind blown by an episode like “Lamb Chop’s Allowance” ever again. At least Shari Lewis can still loving get it.

Did you wander into the wrong thread?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Personally I think the world is ready to try a gritty Lamb Chop again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3nal69fro

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Isn't this thread for The Lambdalorian?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Mandalorian Season 3: Cult of the Lambdalorian

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's funny that IG-11 is so indestructible that he can shrug off blaster bolts, walk through lava and survive a self destruction with the only downside being reset to factory standard, only for his entire head to he caved in by a well timed bust falling on him.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the bust was probably made of really heavy unobtainium

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

moist turtleneck posted:

the bust was probably made of really heavy unobtainium

Greef stole a bunch of beskar from Werner Herzog for his head bust

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Madurai posted:

Plus the berzerk droid with cutting lasers was also 100% a Logan's Run reference.

Yes!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blade Runner Super Battle Droid
Logan's Run Laser Droid
Ghost in the Shell AI reprogramming via lubricants

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They're going to release the hours of footage of JB and Lizzo just loving around on set, right?

I love that I very quickly thought of Futurama's Hedonismbot and come here and see that life half of us did the same.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So "I have Spoken" is Ugnaught version of "This is the way" right?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's their way of saying they also have survived Nick Nolte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Parallelwoody posted:

Isn't this thread for The Lambdalorian?

The Lamb Lies Down on Mandalore