Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I agree with you Hal, tax cuts are a effective way to deal with a recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Deficit spending doesn't boost trade balances you say.

Anything else it doesn't do?

I bet it doesn't even buy me a beer. Best not risk it.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Hal_2005 posted:

- Canada (1909-1934)

Haha, wft? 30% unemployment is a success?

Panas
Nov 1, 2009
Germany spent ungodly amounts of money post-reunification. They're projected to spend something like 1 trillion euros over 30 years trying to get the east to converge with the rest of Germany. While some reforms were made under the SPD to the welfare state, it wasn't the case that they imposed massive amounts of austerity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Panas posted:

Germany spent ungodly amounts of money post-reunification. They're projected to spend something like 1 trillion euros over 30 years trying to get the east to converge with the rest of Germany. While some reforms were made under the SPD to the welfare state, it wasn't the case that they imposed massive amounts of austerity.

Germany also spends a higher percentage of its budget on welfare programs than Greece.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Come on you idiots. Norway 2008.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And example where austerity didn't work, Sweden 2011

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What do I gotta do to bring back the confidence fairy

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Hal is just going to dispute the definition of recovery or growth until the sun sets.

The government increasing spending invigorates the private sector, since they are the largest proportion of purchases by GDP in a lot of countries. Economies grow by exploiting new markets or making greater efficiencies in existing ones.

Off the top of my head, the American experiment in deficit spending has been going on since Roosevelt. However, smaller governments at the state and provincial level have increased infrastructure through spending since Athens bought a navy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure I follow how austerity was involved in the recovery for Iceland.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

I'm not sure I follow how austerity was involved in the recovery for Iceland.

Iceland did have other factors but other things mattered much more:
-Iceland got a big IMF bailout and hit up other countries up like the UK for big multi-billion dollar emergency packages
-Not being stuck with the Euro allowed some monetary side alleviation for the crash
-Iceland hosed foreign depositors who stashed their money away in icelandic banks
-Iceland locked down the country via capital controls

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Are we still talking about weddings? My wedding was approximately $40,000. It was ridiculous but it's tradition (I'm Italian) and it didn't really cost me much since the cash gifts covered most of it. Plus, there's the added logic that my parents have been going to weddings and giving hefty cash gifts for eons and they want to see that gift returned. Yes, it's all ridiculous but I guess it keeps DJ's employed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hal_2005 posted:

Still waiting on the Keynsian side to trot out a country. Ill check in, in a few hours. Come up with something to impress me.

I can't believe I'm about to argue a moron, but...

Literally every country ever. How's that?

Without government spending on things like railroads, airports, seaports and highways....hell, every piece of infrastructure that your kind takes for granted and doesn't want to pay a cent more to improve or even maintain, we would never have experienced the sustained economic growth that Western society has enjoyed on average for the last eighty or so years.

Beyond that, all of the technology that we've built our modern society upon will trace back, one way or another, to some government spending money to develop it. Do you think private industry would have funded the development of the jet engine? The artificial satellite? The internet? Maybe they would have, but there certainly would not have been the same imperative as there was in any of those projects to get it done no matter the cost.

What about all the factories that were built in World War II to build munitions...many of them as we know were repurposed afterwards to build consumer goods. Where did the money that these companies used to build them come from? It certainly wasn't all from private industry, that's for sure.

My point is this; to claim that government spending has nothing to do with prosperity ignores the fact that literally every penny of GDP this country has ever earned, and likely ever will earn, was made possible because of government spending at one time or another. In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EngineerJoe posted:

Are we still talking about weddings?

Sorry no., Hal disproved Keynesian theory a few posts ago with the observation that it didn't fix something that no one ever thought it fixed. He also noted that it had never been successfully implemented even one time.

This is now a celebration of his impending Nobel prize

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ocrumsprug posted:

Sorry no., Hal disproved Keynesian theory a few posts ago with the observation that it didn't fix something that no one ever thought it fixed. He also noted that it had never been successfully implemented even one time.

It's a possibility, even Obama has one.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I eagerly await Canada's successful implementation of the Baltic model of austerity. We just need to convince the Eurozone to provide 30-40% of our GNI, and for unemployment rates to remain steadily low thanks to 1-2% of the population migrating every year. Then if we're lucky, incomes and prosperity will return to 2008 levels after a mere 8-10 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eXXon posted:

I eagerly await Canada's successful implementation of the Baltic model of austerity. We just need to convince the Eurozone to provide 30-40% of our GNI, and for unemployment rates to remain steadily low thanks to 1-2% of the population migrating every year. Then if we're lucky, incomes and prosperity will return to 2008 levels after a mere 8-10 years.

Well the Harper response will be curing the economy by doing tax cuts and austerity.

I'm sure it will work out well.

Also going to be a laugh seeing how Canada will go into a recession/contraction with really high debt loading for the average citizen. This recipe was wonderful during the 2009 global crash.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

Sounds about par for the course for the "nobel" economics prize.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hal_2005 posted:

Please cite one successful case where deficit spending led to sustained economic growth. Spending just for the sake of spending, via the infrastructure agencies does little to actually stimulate a positive balance of trade and only ends up skewing employment to your local (best) pork jurisdictions. If a federal program were indeed a success then we would see not only Japanese and Greek programs cited as methods of permanant economic expansion but would read nothing but how the Vancouver Games created a 10 years of wealth creation. So be careful on what you cite in response.

A good article for Uncle Wong, feel free to join Marty's comment section.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2015/07/housing-britain
Get out you stupid motherfucker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Right now, economists think the Bank of Canada will deliver 3 rate *hikes* by the end of 2016.

Put me down as #GLWT http://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/622759278844211200/photo/1

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/622759278844211200

loving lol if that happens

Imagine Mr 40k glass railings variable rate mortgage going up 250%.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Hal_2005 posted:

- Ireland (2008-2014)
- Latvia (2008-2015)
- Lithuania (2008-2015)

I live in one of the Baltic states so here my brief observations on the miracle of austerity: we're hosed.

Yes, we didn't go bankrupt, and Estonia didn't even need a bailout from IMF. The budgets are more or less balanced. But forget us ever reaching the living standards of Western Europe. There has been a huge drain of working age people leaving the Baltic countries, never to return. Every 1000 people who leave is a disaster for a small country whose whole population is just a few million people. Estonia has a sustained economic growth of 1-2%, Latvia and Lithuania probably around 3-4% (*for now*). My own income levels haven't reached the same as in 2007-2008 for example.

Do you know who Mark Blyth is? I think you should listen to this lecture by someone who actually has all the facts and statistics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

TLDR; Austerity has never worked, austerity will never work. Austerity is question of morale and ethics ("you shouldn't spend more than you earn"), not a question economics.

EngineerJoe posted:

Are we still talking about weddings? My wedding was approximately $40,000. It was ridiculous but it's tradition (I'm Italian) and it didn't really cost me much since the cash gifts covered most of it. Plus, there's the added logic that my parents have been going to weddings and giving hefty cash gifts for eons and they want to see that gift returned. Yes, it's all ridiculous but I guess it keeps DJ's employed.

Why the gently caress are there DJs at your weddings? Are you teenagers, or are you getting married in a loving nightclub? If we had 40k to spend on a wedding, we would have a medieval themed wedding. Everyone who shows up without a wolf's skin around their shoulders and a without a sword on their belt gets sent home.

eXXon posted:

What we endured in the Baltics was only possible because of our cultural background and history. We are a people who are used to suffering and it wasn't actually a big deal compared to some of the tougher period in Soviet times. This kind of austerity wouldn't go down very well in a country such as Canada.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

loving lol if that happens

Imagine Mr 40k glass railings variable rate mortgage going up 250%.

I think negative rates are more likely given the desperation to keep the debt loaded economy floating.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

etalian posted:

I think negative rates are more likely given the desperation to keep the debt loaded economy floating.

It's pretty much guaranteed seeing as how that is what most nations with a housing bubble and inflation problem have already done.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

In the red-hot Toronto and Vancouver markets where single detached homes now easily fetch more than $1 million, Fitch said prices are less likely to fall because they are supported by strong economic and population growth.

http://business.financialpost.com/p...ding-fitch-says

I hope u guys are right about this. Just like you were about CDOs. :allears:

quote:

“Expect a soft landing nationally, where the price growth that has characterized the country’s housing markets for more than a decade will abate, with modest declines to follow,” the company said, adding it expects “modest price declines in the medium term across the country, significant downturns remain unlikely. But, downside risks exist, particularly in markets that have been dependent on robust construction and real estate activity in recent years.”

lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-of-canadas-interest-rate-cut-a-mistake-by-every-measure-says-kevin-oleary

quote:

The lower value of the loonie against the U.S. dollar will hurt productivity since Canadian companies will face higher costs, O’Leary said.

“We have more systemic problems in our Canadian economy that aren’t going to be affected by a marginal tax reduction,” he said. “There is more damage done by this rate decline than there is good.”

O’Leary also said the decline in rates will not ease the main economic problems that matter to Canadians: job creation and wage inflation.

“Does my child have a job and are they making more than 10 years ago? By both of those measures we’re failing.

“So you ask yourself, does a 25 basis point decline in rates change any of that? The answer is no.”

quote:

“We have more systemic problems in our Canadian economy that aren’t going to be affected by a marginal tax reduction,” he said. “There is more damage done by this rate decline than there is good.”

quote:

quote:

quote:

-Kevin O'Leary

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/housing-crisis-one-typical-familys-search-place-call-home

quote:

Meet the Postma-Miller family.

Meet Gina, her husband Rob, their children Hewitt, Rupert and Harper, and their dog Autumn. Gina is an artist, and Rob is a video editor and web designer. Their kids go to school, do homework on weekends, and play in the park behind the backyard.

In other words, they’re an average Vancouver family, suffering from what has now become an average Vancouver problem: inadequate housing.

“This is sh--ty,” Gina tells me, hands resting calmly in her lap. We’re sitting at her kitchen table, discussing the plight of Vancouver’s sizzling rental market.

“I hear about it all the time,” she says. “The affordability and the lack of choice — you feel like you’re being pushed.”

In April, the family’s landlord announced that his son would be moving into the East Vancouver house they’ve been renting since 2005, giving them until June 2016 to find a new home. The Postma-Millers aren’t complaining — they always knew this day would come — they just didn’t know how difficult it would be to find a new place when it did.

“We’ve seen places from I guess $2,300 per month to $3,000 per month and some of them are just dives, really,” says Gina. “We’re not super, super picky, but we need enough space for a family of five, we own pets, and we’re creatives that have a home-based business.”

I take a quick look around the house, and they are indeed a creative family: Gina’s paintings adorn the walls, a guitar lies on the living room couch, and the coffee table is littered with the Lego creations of 10-year-old Rupert and nine-year-old Harper.

I imagine what everything would look like if it were crammed into a three-bedroom home without any storage space; Gina and Rob have done the same, and decided they need at least four bedrooms.

“One bedroom could be used as the office and the kids would still share a room,” Gina explains. “I don’t think it’s asking too much to stay at the same kind of level of place where you’ve raised your kids for 10 years.”

On the housing hunt

Now, three months into their full year’s notice, the family’s hunt is still on. Every morning, Gina wakes up, has her coffee and hits the computer in search of a house. She scours Craigslist, real estate sites and notice boards for at least an hour, searching for any glimmer of potential.

“It’s stressful,” she says, leaning back in her chair. “You would think that East Van would be a better buy, but the same price for a whole house in Dunbar is equal to a main floor in East Van in some locations. It’s crazy.”

Gina has relatives and friends looking for her and has registered for a number of four-bedroom co-ops, but is doubtful any of them will result in a new home. She says some of the waitlists for co-op housing exceed two years, and many of them have stopped taking applications at all.

“You get excited about some things and then they fall through, so it is (mentally exhausting),” she explains. “That’s why I’m at the point that I want to find a place and be done; I don’t want to be doing this for the next year — anticipating a place and then it not working.”

A few weeks ago, the family had a bit of a “heartbreaking” experience with a beautiful house that met all of their needs; they struck a deal with the landlord and came in the next day to sign a contract to discover that it had been rented to someone else who could move in within the week.

From then on, Gina and Rob vowed not to take their kids on the housing hunt with them. The disappointment takes too heavy a toll.

Taking its toll

“I was very upset,” says Hewitt, Gina’s eldest. “It just kind of felt like they went behind our backs, which I get. They have to — It’s a month’s rent they’re missing.”
At 16 years old, Hewitt is under no illusions about his family’s housing dilemma or the skyrocketing cost of rent in Vancouver. He knows how hard the search is on his parents, who spend at least 10 hours a week looking for a home.

“It’s stressing everyone out,” he says, making sure his younger brothers are out of earshot. “It’s not an easy thing to do, looking for a house with a family of five. I don’t know whether I’ll be able to afford living here when I’m older — it’s kind of ridiculous.”

Hewitt will graduate in June next year, which puts pressure on the family to move before September to avoid disrupting his Grade 12 studies. All three of the Postma-Miller children attend local arts schools, which also makes them keen on staying in the neighbourhood.

Gina is hesitant to call it a “right,” but she does believe that a Vancouver family should be able to find an affordable place within their community.

“If you’re a creative person you want to be in a creative community, and of all the communities in Vancouver, East Van is that,” she says. “I’ve always been pretty heels-dug-in. I was born here, it’s the most beautiful city in the world, why would I leave?"

Besides, the neighbours are family, says Rob.

“We have built relationships down our block that I think are rare throughout the country,” he explains. “It’s quite a strong bond, and every day when the kids get together with the other kids down they street, they get closer knowing they're going to have to move away.”

On a friend’s recommendation, the family has now taken up the strategy of “selling themselves” as a package to local landlords, and created a family flyer with a family portrait and reference information to distinguish them as desirable tenants.

“When we go to see these places, there are 20 people waiting on the lawn to see the house and I empathize with them,” he explains. “We all are looking.”

Though Rob doesn’t spend as much time searching online as Gina, he admits the housing hunt is always on his mind. Having a year to get it done puts them in an awkward position of feeling simultaneously rushed and relaxed.

“It’s hard on the kids mostly because they know that there’s this big change coming,” he says. “So we’re torn between wanting to get it over with and then feeling rushed, and also knowing that we could take our time, but then it leaves this large decision looming.”

Still sitting in the kitchen, I ask the couple who is to blame for their scenario; is it the government? The real estate agencies? The foreign investors?

Pointing fingers doesn’t help anyone, they say, but telling their story to the public might.

Sending a message

“I don’t really know how it got so screwed up,” says Gina. “Maybe through talking about it, the discussion will foster more discussion and we can kind of pinpoint who can do something about it — not who is to blame, but who we can look to for a solution."

The family feels a bit vulnerable exposing their struggle to the world, but they also know they’re not alone.

“There’s some perception that if you’re renting in your late 40s with kids that you’re not successful,” she continues. “It’s not my shame, but it’s imposed sometimes, and I thought that being honest about our situation was a way to… empower or make someone (in the same situation) feel better.”

The family is still avidly searching for a new home, and no one is giving up yet. The first two months have been discouraging, but Gina says they’re a family of optimists.

The worst-case scenario is that they have to compromise, knowing that whatever housing scenario they accept in the end will only be temporary.

"crisis"

:bahgawd:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Renting right now, especially in stupid markets like Vancouver and Toronto, is the most miserable experience unless you really luck out and find a good landlord.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

“Expect a soft landing nationally, where the price growth that has characterized the country’s housing markets for more than a decade will abate, with modest declines to follow,” the company said, adding it expects “modest price declines in the medium term across the country, significant downturns remain unlikely. But, downside risks exist, particularly in markets that have been dependent on robust construction and real estate activity in recent years.”
Doesn't the latter characterize the entire country?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm moving from my 1 br to a 2 br. My rent is going from 1600 to 2200/month. The reason I'm telling you all this is because I googled my new landlord and he's some kind of reform party, cpc apparatchik/aide. He's got message board comments going back to the early 2000s. He's moving his family to Ottawa.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

http://business.financialpost.com/p...ding-fitch-says

I hope u guys are right about this. Just like you were about CDOs. :allears:

lol

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: SOFT LANDING MENTIONED :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Expect immediate financial armageddon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Man I don't know if I really like this new season of Lang and O'Leary where they switch which one of them is the shithead.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: SOFT LANDING MENTIONED :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Expect immediate financial armageddon.

Unfortunately Canada has been in imminent soft landing territory for the entirety of this thread. Since inflation is so low it is a foolish belief anyways.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Things like a tax cut can't make up for the big problems such as explosive housing cost growth, capital expenditures cuts and wage stagnation.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

Things like a tax cut can't make up for the big problems such as explosive housing cost growth, capital expenditures cuts and wage stagnation.

That's what O'Leary is saying, that tax cuts won't fix this and the interest rate lowering was a stupid thing to do.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

I'm moving from my 1 br to a 2 br. My rent is going from 1600 to 2200/month. The reason I'm telling you all this is because I googled my new landlord and he's some kind of reform party, cpc apparatchik/aide. He's got message board comments going back to the early 2000s. He's moving his family to Ottawa.

CI, your rent, WOOF!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

That's what O'Leary is saying, that tax cuts won't fix this and the interest rate lowering was a stupid thing to do.

Well the Harper government is trying to sell tax cuts as a solution and also saying outright they will obsessively maintain a balanced budget even in a contraction/recession cycle.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Got my CPC bribe in my account today, a day early according to Poilievre's countdown.

They want me to buy poo poo to stimulate the economy but I think I'd rather donate it to another party. gently caress that guy and gently caress the CPC.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

So your going to get ready to move in October when the CPC get defeated right.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

sbaldrick posted:

So your going to get ready to move in October when the CPC get defeated right.

lol

BC tenancy laws bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

brucio posted:

Got my CPC bribe in my account today, a day early according to Poilievre's countdown.

They want me to buy poo poo to stimulate the economy but I think I'd rather donate it to another party. gently caress that guy and gently caress the CPC.

You should start a trend on twitter thanking PP for giving you money to donate to another party.