Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Waltzing Along posted:

Super Mario RPG is not an RPG.

Are the Final Fantasy games RPGs? If so, what's different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Are the Final Fantasy games RPGs? If so, what's different?

Mario rpg is fun, for one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you think about it, Half-Life is a role-playing game, as you're assuming the role of Gordon Freeman, employee of the Black Mesa Research Facility.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mario RPG is absolutely a turn based JRPG

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

no, if your progression is only based on items it's an adventure game. You need numbers for it to be an RPG.

Kings quest = adventure
Ultima = RPG

Ultima7 has three numbers for stats and they dont matter. Still an rpg. Maybe it's an immersion sim like deus ex, but that game's even more stat driven.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DebonaireD posted:

Ultima7 has three numbers for stats and they dont matter. Still an rpg. Maybe it's an immersion sim like deus ex, but that game's even more stat driven.

Ultima 7 is an adventure game, and Ultima 8 is an action platformer.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what about ultima 6.9

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The crpg addict blog defines an rpg as having 3 things:
Character development where numbers go up
Combat is at least partly determined by those numbers
Inventories that have things in them besides puzzle objects

That seems like a pretty solid definition to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super Mario RPG, and by extension literally every RPG with its timing in combat mechanics, is garbage

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Barudak posted:

Super Mario RPG, and by extension literally every RPG with its timing in combat mechanics, is garbage

Aw the widdle baby has bad reaction times

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Aw the widdle baby has bad reaction times

Actually, nah. Its boring as gently caress even if Im stringing together 20 plus jumps on an enemies head.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

screw you Tifa rules

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

super mario rpg sucks because when i played it zsnes couldn't handle enough inputs at once for me to make one of the jumps in a dungeon

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

Ultima 7 is an adventure game, and Ultima 8 is an action platformer.

Sorry man, Ultima IV is the best Ultima game. Bonus points if you play it off of the original 4 floppy disks and an 8 bit computer with a CRT monitor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rutibex posted:

no, if your progression is only based on items it's an adventure game. You need numbers for it to be an RPG.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever read, but it also validates MHW as an RPG so I guess I....agree?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Caesar Saladin posted:

super mario rpg sucks because when i played it zsnes couldn't handle enough inputs at once for me to make one of the jumps in a dungeon

The culprit there was likely your keyboard

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tango alpha delta posted:

Sorry man, Ultima IV is the best Ultima game. Bonus points if you play it off of the original 4 floppy disks and an 8 bit computer with a CRT monitor.

That's how I finished it the first time. And U4 is a RPG.

Super Mario RPG along with not being a RPG is a bad game. Only babies like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Super Mario RPG's Timed Hits mechanic was really rough and annoying compared to the later Paper Mario games. (the ones that actually had it anyway)

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
yall know theres more to the game than just defeating bowser the first time right

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

An RPG is a game where you play a role within it, and embody a character in the game world.

This means 90% of games are RPGs and this is why there are subgenres like JRPGs, Action RPGs, CRPGs, MMORPGs, etc.

There's even a genre for RPGs like The Last of Us: it's the "bad games" genre. This genre includes many single-player RPGs that feature a third-person perspective and focus on story, which is also usually terrible.

Spider-Man does not belong in this "bad games" genre, of course.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ah yes I enjoy some of the more famous RPGs such as Mario Kart, DOOM, and Super Mario World

Street Fighter 2 was a great RPG too but not my favorite

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Super Mario RPG's Timed Hits mechanic was really rough and annoying compared to the later Paper Mario games. (the ones that actually had it anyway)

yeek was just paper mario with the timed hits extended into 30 second microgames

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
is pong an RPG

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jimmyjams posted:

is pong an RPG

Yes, you play the role of a pong paddle so it is a role-playing game

Whereas Bioware games are not RPGs because playing the role of bland nothingness is not technically role-playing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah they're all RPGs which is a dumb and bad term to describe video games. It's way too open-ended unless you have some king nerds come in and institute a three-step rest on whether a game is a RPG like they're a federal judge or some poo poo.

If I say RPG who loving knows what that means. You literally are playing a role in every video game. What game has you interact with the world without making you take on a role within that world?

But JRPG, you know immediately it's a poo poo anime game that hasn't progressed in 20 years. That's good granularity if you think genres are important to think about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lambert posted:

If you think about it, Half-Life is a role-playing game, as you're assuming the role of Gordon Freeman, employee of the Black Mesa Research Facility.

"The resonance cascade was an inside job," I explain to every scientist, before killing them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An adventure game is a game where the player character or party is on an adventure. For example: Doom, Super Mario Bros., Hack, Fallout New Vegas, Zork, Ducktales, Devil May Cry, Half-Life, Final Fantasy.

An RPG is a role-playing game, i.e. a game where the player has more or less significant choice as to the character of the player character. For example: Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Advanced Dungeons & Dragon Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate. But not, say, Final Fantasy, as the only way to proceed in the game is to play as heroic heroes.

So Fallout New Vegas is an adventure RPG Doom-clone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

First Person Shooters are not just games where you shoot guns from a first-person perspective, they're also games where someone shoots first. That could be you or an enemy. Mario shoots fireballs, and sometimes he's shooting them first, so the mario games are all First Person Shooters.

In fact every arcade game that accepts quarters is also a first person shooter because you shoot quarters down the slot, it's literally the first things that you do

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Floating Gun Hand

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

First Person Shooters are not just games where you shoot guns from a first-person perspective, they're also games where someone shoots first. That could be you or an enemy. Mario shoots fireballs, and sometimes he's shooting them first, so the mario games are all First Person Shooters.

In fact every arcade game that accepts quarters is also a first person shooter because you shoot quarters down the slot, it's literally the first things that you do

If you set up a "bot" to play them, they become First Shooters because there's no person involved :thunk:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you set up a "bot" to play them, they become First Shooters because there's no person involved :thunk:

whatever you say, hitler

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tango alpha delta posted:

:unsmith: c64 was the best version

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jokes posted:

Yeah they're all RPGs which is a dumb and bad term to describe video games. It's way too open-ended unless you have some king nerds come in and institute a three-step rest on whether a game is a RPG like they're a federal judge or some poo poo.

If I say RPG who loving knows what that means. You literally are playing a role in every video game. What game has you interact with the world without making you take on a role within that world?

Imagine getting annoyed by the existence of jargon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sebmojo posted:

:unsmith: c64 was the best version

I sure love playing a game for 80 hours, not because it's long but because every disk operation takes ages.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I get annoyed by the existence of jrpgs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ultima 3 for NES was the first game to confuse the everloving gently caress out of me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sometimes i forget JRPGs exist because I haven't played such a bad game since teh 90s probably

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ultima 3 for NES was the first game to confuse the everloving gently caress out of me.

Solstice for me. Cracking music though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I remember being confused as gently caress by the ET game on atari in the early '90s when it showed up with a pile of game from a garage sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

poverty goat posted:

sometimes i forget JRPGs exist because I haven't played such a bad game since teh 90s probably

do you consider every Japanese RPG to be a JRPG, or only the turn based 500 hour long borefest stuff?