Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I’m on Guam, was licensed to practice in the CNMI for a bit but let that lapse.

We frequently have TSFC issues (too stupid for caselaw), and this seems dead center on that.

It’s tempting just to let it slide and let some attorney 20 years down the road have to deal w it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

builds character posted:

Some people go crazy being “stuck” on an island.

Those people are obviously dumb.

One of the women with whom I was a summer associate had spent time living in Hawaii, and I think she referred to it as "rock fever."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

I passed the bar 2 years ago

I know

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If you can't vibe with the waves then get the gently caress off my beach, haole bitch!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

builds character posted:

Some people go crazy being “stuck” on an island.

Those people are obviously dumb.

It makes sense for places like Guam but Honolulu is a real city and there is plenty of open countryside so I don't really get it as applied to Hawaii unless you're the kind of person who simply must live in a NYC or LA type city to be happy.

My biggest complaints would probably be the lovely produce and expensive real estate but I already deal with the second one as it is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Kind of a weird question but I'm doing some research and need a real world example of how a US judge would order a forensic audit done on the electronic devices of a big company (specifically, Google). Does anyone have any precedent or articles I could look up?

The specific scenario is that some time ago the Wikipedia article (and other content that got SEOd to the top) for a local notable person got edited to say some defamatory stuff and Google's information sidebar automatically updated to reflect that info, so for a few hours if you Googled that person it would say something like "Jane Doe - C.E.Hoe of Bitch, Inc.", and now Jane Doe is suing Google for defamation, and as part of the suit has asked for a forensic audit to be conducted Google's servers to determine stuff like how many people saw the sidebar, the sources Google used, it's vetting process, etc.

I'm not counsel for either party, obviously, I'm just writing up a short blog post about it and was hoping to find some background on how an audit like that might even take place in a real country since the local judge clearly has absolutely no idea how to handle this.

I think Google would write "fishing expedition" in 48-point font on every page and any motion to compel production of *the entirety of Google's servers* would instantly fail as overbroad and not proportional to the needs of the case. If you haven't already looked at the Sedona Conference's website, start there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SlyFrog posted:

One of the women with whom I was a summer associate had spent time living in Hawaii, and I think she referred to it as "rock fever."

But she wasn't summering in Hawaii so...

Vox Nihili posted:

It makes sense for places like Guam but Honolulu is a real city and there is plenty of open countryside so I don't really get it as applied to Hawaii unless you're the kind of person who simply must live in a NYC or LA type city to be happy.

My biggest complaints would probably be the lovely produce and expensive real estate but I already deal with the second one as it is.

It's definitely a thing though. I think like so much it's probably more about the perception of control rather than anything else.

homullus posted:

I think Google would write "fishing expedition" in 48-point font on every page and any motion to compel production of *the entirety of Google's servers* would instantly fail as overbroad and not proportional to the needs of the case. If you haven't already looked at the Sedona Conference's website, start there.

Yeah, presumably the answer is "the judge wouldn't." At least in the US. But if they did I bet it'd be restricted to (and look, I'm guessing here. I just push money around with a broom) information that google reviewed and turned over voluntarily.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Extremely unlikely they'd do anything other than ask Google to produce whatever information after a big discovery fight about what's appropriate to produce. I can't imagine a circumstance in which Google would be ordered to surrender physical servers for forensic audit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kind of a weird question but I'm doing some research and need a real world example of how a US judge would order a forensic audit done on the electronic devices of a big company (specifically, Google). Does anyone have any precedent or articles I could look up?

The specific scenario is that some time ago the Wikipedia article (and other content that got SEOd to the top) for a local notable person got edited to say some defamatory stuff and Google's information sidebar automatically updated to reflect that info, so for a few hours if you Googled that person it would say something like "Jane Doe - C.E.Hoe of Bitch, Inc.", and now Jane Doe is suing Google for defamation, and as part of the suit has asked for a forensic audit to be conducted Google's servers to determine stuff like how many people saw the sidebar, the sources Google used, it's vetting process, etc.

I'm not counsel for either party, obviously, I'm just writing up a short blog post about it and was hoping to find some background on how an audit like that might even take place in a real country since the local judge clearly has absolutely no idea how to handle this.

they wouldn't

basically, a lawsuit where such a forensic audit was relevant would need to be filed and go to discovery. then the plaintiff would need to serve discovery on google, where they would ask for the data/access to the data. google would, in careful legalese, tell them to go gently caress themselves. they would then discuss and see if they could agree on a way to provide the plaintiffs access to the data they wanted in a way google is ok with. if they could not get to an agreement, they'd file a motion to enforce or quash the discovery, at which point the judge would give very angry looks and statements at both parties and strongly suggest they not bother him or her with this nonsense and send them away to try an agreement again or one or both parties may regret bothering the judge, since they hate discovery disputes.

if that failed, google and the plaintiff would tell the judge what they thought the appropriate procedures would be, the judge would do one of three things, based on the plaintiff's arguments why they need that data and google's argument they don't need it at all/need much less data or access than they're demanding:

1) pick one of them with no changes
2) modify one of them but largely accept that
3) come up with his or her own crazy way to do it (highly unlikely)

in reality google would almost always be obliged to turn over copies of whatever data the plaintiff got access to and unless there were extreme circumstances not actually allow plaintiff experts anywhere near their actual computers

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

thanks for this, I'll look into it!

evilweasel posted:

they wouldn't

basically, a lawsuit where such a forensic audit was relevant would need to be filed and go to discovery. then the plaintiff would need to serve discovery on google, where they would ask for the data/access to the data. google would, in careful legalese, tell them to go gently caress themselves. they would then discuss and see if they could agree on a way to provide the plaintiffs access to the data they wanted in a way google is ok with. if they could not get to an agreement, they'd file a motion to enforce or quash the discovery, at which point the judge would give very angry looks and statements at both parties and strongly suggest they not bother him or her with this nonsense and send them away to try an agreement again or one or both parties may regret bothering the judge, since they hate discovery disputes.

if that failed, google and the plaintiff would tell the judge what they thought the appropriate procedures would be, the judge would do one of three things, based on the plaintiff's arguments why they need that data and google's argument they don't need it at all/need much less data or access than they're demanding:

1) pick one of them with no changes
2) modify one of them but largely accept that
3) come up with his or her own crazy way to do it (highly unlikely)

in reality google would almost always be obliged to turn over copies of whatever data the plaintiff got access to and unless there were extreme circumstances not actually allow plaintiff experts anywhere near their actual computers

Amazing writeup, thank you!

What's happening here is that essentially the plaintiff has requested an audit be done on Google's servers as part of a pre-trial motion to secure evidence that could be destroyed or altered before the actual suit is filed.

The plaintiff audit request is extremely vague, asking for poo poo like "unrestricted access to all of the company's computer systems" and "copies to be made of any information found" which is, of course, insane. And then the judge decided to grant the request as-is despite Google's objections. Unfortunately for Google these sorts of motions are not subject to appeal (because the law was written with the assumption that, as a rule, it's better to preserve evidence than to risk it getting destroyed even if it imposes a burden on the defendant).

It's also very clear that the judge is approaching the case like Google was just a Mom & Pop shop and the auditor just needs to log in to a Windows PC somewhere in an office and make a copy of some emails, and in those cases the normal MO is to just give the auditor extreme latitude to just walk into the office and do whatever the gently caress they want, which makes sense since you don't have to worry about stuff like trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, op-sec, etc.

The plaintiff is also an influential political figure so I expect the judge is trying to not rock the boat too much and punt everything as fast possible to the higher circuits.

So Google is essentially appealing and making extremely reasonable arguments but getting hosed by outdated process and ignorant/malicious judges. Don't do business in third-world countries, kids.

In any case, thanks for all the info.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
But... you're primarily addressing US lawyers, what... what else are they gonna do?

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

thanks for this, I'll look into it!
Amazing writeup, thank you!

What's happening here is that essentially the plaintiff has requested an audit be done on Google's servers as part of a pre-trial motion to secure evidence that could be destroyed or altered before the actual suit is filed.

The plaintiff audit request is extremely vague, asking for poo poo like "unrestricted access to all of the company's computer systems" and "copies to be made of any information found" which is, of course, insane. And then the judge decided to grant the request as-is despite Google's objections. Unfortunately for Google these sorts of motions are not subject to appeal (because the law was written with the assumption that, as a rule, it's better to preserve evidence than to risk it getting destroyed even if it imposes a burden on the defendant).

It's also very clear that the judge is approaching the case like Google was just a Mom & Pop shop and the auditor just needs to log in to a Windows PC somewhere in an office and make a copy of some emails, and in those cases the normal MO is to just give the auditor extreme latitude to just walk into the office and do whatever the gently caress they want, which makes sense since you don't have to worry about stuff like trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, op-sec, etc.

The plaintiff is also an influential political figure so I expect the judge is trying to not rock the boat too much and punt everything as fast possible to the higher circuits.

So Google is essentially appealing and making extremely reasonable arguments but getting hosed by outdated process and ignorant/malicious judges. Don't do business in third-world countries, kids.

In any case, thanks for all the info.

Not a lawyer, but I am an ex-Google employee. There's kind of a baseline issue if you're deadset on doing this at the level of turning over physical servers (rather than requesting documents be produced) that in order to actually produce the physical contents of say, a single person's Google Docs, you'd need like 100+ servers, shipped from three continents. You'd also need maybe a thousand servers, from every continent on earth, in order to be able to successfully power on those servers and get them in a state where you could decrypt the contents. And like 10+ engineer years of time to wire up the completely non-standard datacenter power and networking setup to get those servers to turn on and talk to each other outside of a Google datacenter. Of course, the responsive documents are only like 0.00001% of the contents of each of the servers, but fundamentally there's not like one server that's "Joe Bob's Gmail server".

I guess you could try to split the difference and demand they give the auditor sufficient credentials to use Google's tools for decrypting this data, but it's also not like you just go to "http://decryptjoebobsshit.internal.google.com/" or something.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Based on my experience trying to get data from Facebook and Apple, the response to even the smallest and precise of requests will be “gently caress off”

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Not a lawyer, but I am an ex-Google employee. There's kind of a baseline issue if you're deadset on doing this at the level of turning over physical servers (rather than requesting documents be produced) that in order to actually produce the physical contents of say, a single person's Google Docs, you'd need like 100+ servers, shipped from three continents. You'd also need maybe a thousand servers, from every continent on earth, in order to be able to successfully power on those servers and get them in a state where you could decrypt the contents. And like 10+ engineer years of time to wire up the completely non-standard datacenter power and networking setup to get those servers to turn on and talk to each other outside of a Google datacenter. Of course, the responsive documents are only like 0.00001% of the contents of each of the servers, but fundamentally there's not like one server that's "Joe Bob's Gmail server".

I guess you could try to split the difference and demand they give the auditor sufficient credentials to use Google's tools for decrypting this data, but it's also not like you just go to "http://decryptjoebobsshit.internal.google.com/" or something.

Holy poo poo google AI responded. How's Sea Ranch? Can lawyers live there yet?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Based on my experience trying to get data from Facebook and Apple, the response to even the smallest and precise of requests will be “gently caress off”

Snapchat, however, is pretty responsive.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Some lady gets her feelings hurt by words on the internet, and wants Google to surrender all their servers without regard to the cost. Is there such a thing as an anti-Karen statute, similar to anti-SLAPP?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Some lady gets her feelings hurt by words on the internet, and wants Google to surrender all their servers without regard to the cost. Is there such a thing as an anti-Karen statute, similar to anti-SLAPP?

To be fair it's dumb that Google just goes around automatically amplifying information with absolutely no human vetting, and they should 100% be held accountable for it, but that doesn't mean that Karen has to get root access to Google's servers.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
As in-house counsel, I get weird questions sometimes. Today the question is "do I have any concerns with the GPL v3 license for open-source software?"

The gently caress?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

As in-house counsel, I get weird questions sometimes. Today the question is "do I have any concerns with the GPL v3 license for open-source software?"

The gently caress?

Just nod and say "you'd be a fool if you didn't." Then change the subject.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"I have concerns about everything. Having concerns is my job. Is there something specific you're concerned about that I could discuss with you?"

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

The gently caress?

Maybe this is :thejoke: but the answer to this question is absolutely, unequivocally, "Yes." Your immediate follow up needs to be figuring out which GPLv3-licensed library some idiot developer included in your new commercial software release and start doing damage control (and also probably review your company policies for vetting and using open source code - you have those, right?).

This is the software-licensing equivalent of an engineer randomly dropping into your office and asking you, "Just curious, do we have any potential liability if our product explodes and kills the operator? No reason." The fact that they are asking the question should be troubling.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2021

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

To be fair it's dumb that Google just goes around automatically amplifying information with absolutely no human vetting, and they should 100% be held accountable for it, but that doesn't mean that Karen has to get root access to Google's servers.

do you know how much information Google "amplifies," and whether there have been enough humans born in the entirety of human history to actually vet all of it?

I don't know either but my guess is no on both counts

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NJ Deac posted:

Maybe this is :thejoke: but the answer to this question is absolutely, unequivocally, "Yes." Your immediate follow up needs to be figuring out which GPLv3-licensed library some idiot developer included in your new commercial software release and start doing damage control (and also probably review your company policies for vetting and using open source code - you have those, right?).

This is the software-licensing equivalent of an engineer randomly dropping into your office and asking you, "Just curious, do we have any potential liability if our product explodes and kills the operator? No reason." The fact that they are asking the question should be troubling.

[ctrl+C], [ctrl+V], [send email], [time entry: 2.15 hrs, research and advise re: GPLv3-licensed software]

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

do you know how much information Google "amplifies," and whether there have been enough humans born in the entirety of human history to actually vet all of it?

I don't know either but my guess is no on both counts

This isn’t just a regular search result link, this is the info boxes that Google voluntarily decides to prominently feature in its search results page.

Also, if Google created a product they can’t control without keeping their profit margins, that’s on them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

[ctrl+C], [ctrl+V], [send email], [time entry: 2.15 hrs, research and advise re: GPLv3-licensed software]

2.15 hours lol

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also, if Google created a product they can’t control without keeping their profit margins, that’s on them.

If you haven't come across the Communications Decency Act of 1996 (especially 47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(1)) in your reading, that should be your next stop, and your next Google search.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

If you haven't come across the Communications Decency Act of 1996 (especially 47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(1)) in your reading, that should be your next stop, and your next Google search.

This isn’t in the US so section 230 doesn’t apply (and there’s no safe harbor equivalent), but I get your point and yes, this would be dismissed real quick in the US, even if the actual motion wasn’t a shitshow.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This isn’t in the US so section 230 doesn’t apply (and there’s no safe harbor equivalent), but I get your point and yes, this would be dismissed real quick in the US, even if the actual motion wasn’t a shitshow.

Yeah. Having that search string might get you some good comparative law articles, though. There are going to be people who think section 230 is all wrong, and will point to how other countries handle it.

I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but I did see a judge grant a motion once that ignored a recent and controlling U.S. Supreme Court precedent, on the basis of barely-related state law and a law review article.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IanHaneyLopez/status/1400241368845279234?s=20

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
In almost every situation a correct statement is "gently caress the Federalist Society"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Not one word of this surprises me. Although Stanford has already said they aren't doing any sort of inquiry and aren't holding the kid's diploma back.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SlothBear posted:

Not one word of this surprises me. Although Stanford has already said they aren't doing any sort of inquiry and aren't holding the kid's diploma back.

After massive pressure online, including from a senator.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/1400325447695675398?s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

2.15 hours lol

Going into douboe decimals, a power move

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

LionArcher posted:

After massive pressure online, including from a senator.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1400229248657469440

At least he learned to think like a lawyer.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
loving l m a o

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Worst part of this is while everyone is clowning on Fed Soc dipshits, they are quietly being put on every court of consequence in the country.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bahahaha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Should've gone to a public school if you loved your precious free speech so much!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

Worst part of this is while everyone is clowning on Fed Soc dipshits, they are quietly being put on every court of consequence in the country.

:sigh: