Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

euphronius posted:

I had never heard of Jacob Turner. He looks like a stud. 2.4 bb/9 7.6 k/9 at AA-AAA at age 20 looks pretty good.

The Tigers are rushing the poo poo out of him (stop me if you've heard that before) but he's definitely in that second tier of very good/non-elite guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If a SPs mechanics are good and there is (relatively) small injury risk, is there a downside to rushing a SP?

Serious question. I know it makes them more expensive sooner.

Are pitchers not "mature" at 18-23?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

euphronius posted:

If a SPs mechanics are good and there is (relatively) small injury risk, is there a downside to rushing a SP?

Some guys (*cough*Rick Porcello*cough*) need to develop their secondary offerings so they can eventually become a complete pitcher and realize their ceilings. If you've got them at the major league level, you can't really have those guys refining those things on the job because it costs you games (who gives a gently caress what the Seawolves or Mud Hens record is).

We're all really hoping that Detroit doesn't repeat this with Turner (well, Tigers fans are anyway), cause the kid really does need more work on his stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They rushed the hell out of Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin, but they flipped them for Miguel Cabrera, so I guess it's worked out?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But is the fact that Porcello and Miller are not rear end because they were rushed or because they are not rear end.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

euphronius posted:

Most of the top 50 pitchers on fangraphs debuted somewhere between 19-23

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Yankeesfan.gif:

1) I just for the first time noticed that there is a woman in that scene.
2) I remain convinced that the central actor is Daniel Tosh.

-----

euphronius posted:

Aside from pure mechanical issues, pitchers need time to perfect their command and especially to practice secondary pitches. Top pitching prospects are top pitching prospects in part because they have at least one exceptional pitch, but one or two pitches will only play against minor league hitting. They've got to practice those pitches in game situations, but that's not really an option in a league where wins and losses matter.

Further, even if a pitcher's mechanics are good now, it's easy for them to get out of whack if they come up and have poor results, so you really want to put them in a situation where they have a great chance for success, not just the bare minimum.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
They don't even need Turner this year really so hopefully they just leave him in the minors to work on pitches instead of having him come up and blowing his arm out or whatever. Verlander/Fister/Scherzer/Porcello/whocares is pretty solid and it isn't worth throwing off Turner's development to bring him up so early.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scoobi posted:

Most of the top 50 pitchers on fangraphs debuted somewhere between 19-23

Sorted for WAR?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

euphronius posted:

Sorted for WAR?

Yea. I believe fangraphs defaults to WAR if you use the leaderboard without specifying otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scoobi posted:

Yea. I believe fangraphs defaults to WAR if you use the leaderboard without specifying otherwise.

I thought maybe you sorted for wins. :smug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turner could be a rad #3 starter several years from now if Leyland doesn't call him up to the bigs and work him like Comerica is a Soviet salt mine gulag.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Jacob Turner is Bonderman v2, book it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As long as he's not Nate Cornejo.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Harlock posted:

Re: Twins:bunt:

I wish this was surprising but it isn't. :sigh:

Groucho Marxist posted:

Twins advance to ALCS

Hey, it happened once! gently caress the Angels.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
N: Salvador Perez left the game today due to a knee injury

V: Good thing he signed that 5 year deal.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FJBE16iuk

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The imitation isn't as good as Elliot Johnson's (or Arencibia's, for that matter), but the dialogue is the funniest that I've heard from any of them so far.

Whoever has the Tim Dillard av needs to get up in here.

VV There it is :)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Whoever has the Tim Dillard av needs to get up in here.

Aww hell yeah...

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010
Kelly Gruber owns y'all

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Jagfire posted:

A thing of beauty. It just screams baseball.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Citi Field now has its own version of the green monster seats. Just a lot lower and a tad further back.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I want to see someone imitate Tim Kurkjian's description of the 30-3 Rangers-Orioles game.

"WES LITTLETON GOT THE SAVE! THE FINAL SCORE WAS THIRTY TO THREE AND HE GOT A SAVE!"

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

:allears:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh my god, we've hit Peak SAS.

e: I know we can't make it the background, but can we sticky a post that just has that in the OP?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Tim Kurkjian is a little too into trivia vs actual statistics for my taste, but he's a cool guy who loves the poo poo out of baseball and he's an awesome sport for laughing at himself. It wouldn't work if he wasn't so drat enthusiastic about sample size minutiae.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I like the idea of alternating Dinger Machine and the gently caress you guy.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

theacox posted:

Imagine it zooming in on gently caress You Guy's face with every cut. After the last zoom, it turns into a still, then cuts to a close-up of the marlin's eye/smile.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Mornacale posted:

Imagine it zooming in on gently caress You Guy's face with every cut. After the last zoom, it turns into a still, then cuts to a close-up of the marlin's eye/smile.

BRAVO! :golfclap:

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

theacox posted:

Mornacale posted:

I'm not that good

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
This last page oh my god :lol:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Jagfire posted:

I'm not that good

You're still #1 in our hearts Jagfire.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Jagfire posted:

:allears:

Are there any art galleries that display gifs? Like hang an ipad looping it or something

If not, this could be the first one

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Voting the last page a 5, going hog wild.

I was in SFMOMA last week and they had an exhibit that looked suspiciously like an animated gif on a fancy screen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe Yankee Stadium does need a Dinger Machine: after a Yankee home run a top hat pops out of Monument Park and gently caress You guy is sitting on top of it.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
This page owns so hard.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
OH GOD....the gently caress you guy doffing his top hat to the Yankee fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Knew I'd seen that guy before.

Poor Al Smith.