Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I want a Toriko themed Monster Hunter clone. The escalating power levels, the absurd monsters, everything about this manga would work perfectly for that. You could even have a little chef buddy who comes along and gives you food buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I seriously thought when I started reading it that, that was the idea. The power levels and reference to 'rare items' and all that.

Also isn't this Nitro the one who announced her presence by gutting someone and then fighting Zebra? I'm not sure we even need any foreshadowing at all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Capture Levels are not strictly power levels. They are suppose to show how difficult it is to: find an ingredient, get to it, obtain it, make sure you don't ruin the flavor during the capture, and prepare it to the maximum culinary extent.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

I want a Toriko themed Monster Hunter clone. The escalating power levels, the absurd monsters, everything about this manga would work perfectly for that. You could even have a little chef buddy who comes along and gives you food buffs.

It exists and is terrible much like all adaptations of the manga

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Capture Levels are not strictly power levels. They are suppose to show how difficult it is to: find an ingredient, get to it, obtain it, make sure you don't ruin the flavor during the capture, and prepare it to the maximum culinary extent.

Yeah, but, come on. They're power levels.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Law Cheetah posted:

Yeah, but, come on. They're power levels.

Not always? The Shining Gourami had a really high capture level, but that was just because you had to get through the bigass waterfall to find it. The fish itself was really weak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, screw conservation! Perpetual gorging is the only way to deal with nature.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ha ha, screw conservation! Perpetual gorging is the only way to deal with nature.

Does this world even need conservation efforts? They can friggin clone things! The question here isn't "can we save this species" but "is this thing tasty enough to bother bringing back?"

The closest I can think of is that guy who kept bringing things back from the dead without proper authorization.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 14, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Shugojin posted:

Not always? The Shining Gourami had a really high capture level, but that was just because you had to get through the bigass waterfall to find it. The fish itself was really weak.

Didn't melk stardust also have a high capture level, but was literally a rock in the ground that was just super tough to get to?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How appropriate that those two ingredients go together.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't remember if they really defined capture levels as a concept of skill and preparation until later on in the manga, but I was summing my feeling at the very start of reading Toriko. At the beginning it sounds like a really good pitch for a JRPG, and a lot of it feels inspired by that.

Unfortunately, I also feel like the manga has kinda lost that element once they moved to the Gourmet world, which rather sucks to notice.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jester Mcgee posted:

I've wanted the same thing for a while now. I'd think it would be cool to be able to compare full course menus with players the world over.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone linked the kickstarter for a game that sorta captures the idea, just not at Toriko's insane level.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Serious Frolicking posted:

Zebra made it a point to wipe out species that were threatening humans and wiping out other species. That's conservation as far as I am concerned.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't remember if they really defined capture levels as a concept of skill and preparation until later on in the manga, but I was summing my feeling at the very start of reading Toriko. At the beginning it sounds like a really good pitch for a JRPG, and a lot of it feels inspired by that.

Unfortunately, I also feel like the manga has kinda lost that element once they moved to the Gourmet world, which rather sucks to notice.

They did exactly that with the special preperation poison puffer fish. High capture level unless you don't care about the poison then it is less than 1. which is signified by <1.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Fabricated posted:

Someone linked the kickstarter for a game that sorta captures the idea, just not at Toriko's insane level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trinket/battle-chef-brigade

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Bambina is such a loving child

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I saw this before. It's like Toriko meets Iron Chef meets Avatar: The Last Airbender, in video game form.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Having a bit of a reread, during the Midora flashback its brought up that Pair went to meet Acacia, although it could just be a bad translation since its a bunch of blue nitro, but there is a silhouette that could be him? Last page http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-252--Acacia-s-Fairy-Tales--?id=176322

MoosinRound
Sep 5, 2011
The "giant monkey centaur thing in a giant monkey mountain comprised of smaller monkeys" was defeated by getting a "monkey on its back"... best manga ever

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
Well, as we all guessed, "Pair" is the Monkey King's testicles.

...and it is supposed to be a soup dish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kenshi posted:

So you just put it in some water or stock and make a broth as its essence permeates through the whole thing. Soup!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Well, much like how you can get coconut milk by cracking open a coconut, so too can you get... milk... by opening up testes

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Toriko Thread 3: Toriko ate my balls.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If that's the ingredient, then what's in the tree?

... On second thought, don't answer that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Chapter
Gentlemen, after weeks of waiting we finally find out the shocking truth behind Pair. As hinted at it's actually the fruit off of the Birth Cry Tree, a special fruit that only grows once every millennium.
PSYCH!! it's Bambina's testicles, don't know how they get on the tree but everyone seems ready to chow down. :getin:

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Gonna be an interesting chapter next week.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looks like Toriko's journey just went... :frogc00l: from soup to nuts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im surprised that Bambina wasnt huge as skyscrapers.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lots of concentrated flavor must be in his balls.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

We already knew this from the rock-skipping last chapter, though.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Bambina in action, at least when he isn't throwing mountains around and getting hit in the face by rocks he himself threw ages ago.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Toriko: Super Monkey Ball 2

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roland Jones posted:

We already knew this from the rock-skipping last chapter, though.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Bambina in action, at least when he isn't throwing mountains around and getting hit in the face by rocks he himself threw ages ago.

Whos to say that the mountains werent bigger than skyscrapers themselves?
Scale is a weird thing in Toriko.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ahahahahahah

Toriko: Okay we just gotta get used to it step by... what are you all staring a... OH gently caress

PERFECT, a masterstroke :allears:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Even the Denshark is freaking out.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Kenshi posted:

I didn't want to be right.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

so wait...

Acacia was talking to a monkey kings balls?

Also, You know shits going down if Zebra is wide eyed.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, even Zebra's freaking out

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
If he were there, even Speedwagon would be afraid.

I also loved that Toriko was questioning how exactly a pair of monkey balls would save Komatsu. The whole thing is being treated with just enough of a tongue in cheek to not be TOTALLY absurd.

TNG fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My guess is that Bambina's nuts are the original PAIR, and new PAIRs grow on the Birth Cry Tree because Bambina nourishes the tree by using it as his personal urinal.

Toriko just keeps getting weirder and weirder and it's all the better for it.

• Locked thread