Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Joementum posted:

Every time I think there might not be any more funny news about this, I'm wrong.

What a loving tool. I hope someone, at some point showed up in jeans and stripped to their underwear when he complained.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

eviltastic posted:

Today is one of those days that I'm glad twitter exists.

DAAAAAMMMNNN!! Oh no he di'int!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I don't get it.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Apparently E.W. Jackson barely lost Cantor's district last year in Virginia's lieutenant governor race, 50.6-49.4, so there's your baseline on just how crazy a Republican has to be to lose that district.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Beamed posted:

I don't get it.

He's saying everyone is always happy as gently caress when Eric Cantor is finally gone from the room.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spoilers Below posted:

Hell, I'm going to pimp Coll's Private Empire again. It's not quite Capital in the 21st Century, but it's worth your time.

Some sample quotes chosen by an internet friend:

Its been a few pages and this seemed to drop a bit, but I'ld like to point out that the statistics of "There's enough coal for the next 300 years!" Are erroneous in nearly all cases.

1. That assumes current consumption, but the increase in consumption is exponential.
2. The vast majority of that coal is of a lower and poorer quality type of rock that doesn't have a lot of energy within it, and most importantly costs a bucket load of energy to extract it from the ground, something like 1000 tonnes of gravel needs to be dug up for 1 tonne of copper for example.

This is what the problem with oil is. Sure, rising costs makes it viable to go after deposits in remote areas but the price of consumption doesn't go down because there's still a cost to extract it in the first place.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Note to Scott Esk: If the idea of the state putting people to death for being gay is something you "don't have a problem with" then you can't call yourself "largely libertarian". That's like calling yourself "largely communist" and advocating for the capitalist ruling class to maintain control over the means of production.

That is, if today's interpretation of "libertarianism" had anything to do with civil liberty at all.
He doesn't want the state to do it, silly. He wants random mobs of angry citizens to do it and the government to not interfere!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Magres posted:

What a loving tool. I hope someone, at some point showed up in jeans and stripped to their underwear when he complained.

I don't know about you, but when a professor has a dress code that is required for his class (besides safety equipment, of course) that is an automatic loving drop for me.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't know about you, but when a professor has a dress code that is required for his class (besides safety equipment, of course) that is an automatic loving drop for me.

Just another authoritarian trying to regulate the free clothing market and stifle clothing innovators.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raenir Salazar posted:

1. That assumes current consumption, but the increase in consumption is exponential.
I don't know that that's true necessarily.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

I don't know that that's true necessarily.

Which part?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Exponential growth in consumption.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

Oh good, its been awhile since an up-down strident anti-Catholic protestant has been on the national stage.

BrandorKP posted:

Edit: And boy his love for Aristotle as an anti catholic is kind-of weird.

Swan Oat posted:

Anti-catholicism can only help the GOP woo Hispanics.

Berke Negri posted:

Not to mention the age old arguments he's making are implicitly used to infer that Catholic countries are backwards and lazy unlike the superiorly industrious northern Protestant countries of Europe.

He's Catholic. From his website.

quote:

A man of deep faith, Dave attends St. Mary’s Catholic Church with his wife Laura and their two children: Jonathan, 15 and Sophia, 11.

As pointed out by Charles Pierce in his Esquire politics blog

quote:

As for the winner, Brat seems a very bad combination of serious religious quester and devout Randian economist, a combination that would have had Ms. Rand herself reaching for the opium pipe. He got his undergraduate degree at Hope College in Michigan, which is run by the Reformed Church in the United States, a conservative evangelical wing of the United Church Of Christ. He then got a Masters in Divinity at Princeton, which is a very conservative seminary and now, according to his website, Dave attends St. Mary's Catholic Church with his wife Laura and their two children: Jonathan, 15 and Sophia, 11. So either he's a Douthatian convert, god help us, or his faith is all over the lot, which may account for his rather startling announcement last night that he won because God was speaking through the voters of the Seventh Congressional District of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

Today is one of those days that I'm glad twitter exists.

:drat:

Steele was such a great guy to have around and he's been pretty funny since he left his job at the RNC. Too bad the GOP only seemed to get more racist after he took over.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's still one of the stone cold craziest arguments I've ever heard anyone make.

On that note, does anyone have that racist Tintin comic with lines from Gingrich's thesis substituted for dialogue?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Every time I think there might not be any more funny news about this, I'm wrong.

Soooooo, how long till we get a story about him loving a student?

I doubt he'll get to "I'm not a witch" levels, but he sounds like a hilarious candidate.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its been a few pages and this seemed to drop a bit, but I'ld like to point out that the statistics of "There's enough coal for the next 300 years!" Are erroneous in nearly all cases.

2. The vast majority of that coal is of a lower and poorer quality type of rock that doesn't have a lot of energy within it, and most importantly costs a bucket load of energy to extract it from the ground, something like 1000 tonnes of gravel needs to be dug up for 1 tonne of copper for example.

This is what the problem with oil is. Sure, rising costs makes it viable to go after deposits in remote areas but the price of consumption doesn't go down because there's still a cost to extract it in the first place.

Oh, lest you think Coll is coming off supporting ExxonMobil in this... Lemme quote from my buddy's review again, because he said it better than I can: "It's in the way the company handled climate change--or rather, how it refused to handle climate change--that Coll is most able to shake off the allure of the company's massive success, because it's there that the company is most wrong. It's also there that Coll might have missed an opportunity to write more about the contemporary addiction with the wholesale fabrication of belief that so diseases today's corporate empires, the way that governments and focus groups and gigantic corporations decide their side and then invest all energy into proving its veracity. Year after year, billion after billion, ExxonMobil so thoroughly hosed up what had once been a straightforward issue--humans have culpability in the Earth's changing climate--that a generation grew up believing the debate's origin was in science, when it actually came straight from the bank."

Part of this is what makes the book so fascinating: unlike, say, Apple or Toyota, who can just uproot a factory and move to a different state or a different country, ExxonMobil is literally tied to the land that they're pulling the minerals up from, and their expectations for how long they will occupy that land for (50-100 years, on average) means that their planning will have to outlast numerous changes in governments, or often even entire country's existences, that their plot is located in.

The problem is that the US can't do poo poo about it, realistically. Until it actually does cost more so dig up than they can sell it for, which given that a lot of it is located in economically depressed areas like Mongolia isn't going to be any time soon, they'll keep tapping that vein until they need to have the whole arm amputated.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I'm putting my money on the long shot: harem and/or a Jeri Ryan type situation.

Unlikely to come in, but when it does, you get magic.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have identified three distinct parts of the Republican Party. There are the Mr. Burns Republicans, the Theocracy Republicans, and the Bat poo poo Republicans. Which group would you prefer to have in office, and why?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Magres posted:

He's saying everyone is always happy as gently caress when Eric Cantor is finally gone from the room.

Not a bit of it. Steele is letting out some bitterness by saying "yeah, everyone always applauds you when you're leaving and tells you 'great job' but when you're actually in the job they can't wait to gently caress you over."

Not that Michael Steele has any reason to feel like people say much nicer things about you once you leave.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

David Bart's opponent is another Randolph-Macon College professor, Jack Trammell, who heads disability services there, is in the sociology department, and...is writing a vampire novel.

Oh my god I love everything about this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

Exponential growth in consumption.
Compounded growth is exponential growth dude.

Silver Nitrate posted:

I have identified three distinct parts of the Republican Party. There are the Mr. Burns Republicans, the Theocracy Republicans, and the Bat poo poo Republicans. Which group would you prefer to have in office, and why?

Well I mean Mr Burns did deal with unions rather than crushing them outright, would have us be energy independent, supports public infrastructure investments like a monorail, is tolerant of homosexuals, and pays his employees well enough that someone without a college education can afford 2 cars and a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 story with rumpus room and his wife being a stay at home mom.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

Compounded growth is exponential growth dude.

There's a difference between growth and usage.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

"I will help to crucify mankind on a cross of gold!" ~ David Brat, probably.

This made me laugh, thank you.

If fascism comes to America, it won't be draped in the flag; it will come in the form of a gibbering howler monkey scowling at progress, science, and modernity like a deranged spite driven Looney Tunes character.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

There's a difference between growth and usage.

So are you positing an imminent population crash and or freeze then? Because even if we handwave bringing the rest of the world up to constant access to electricity (we aren't there yet) then usage should track to population, and populations follow a compounded growth curve.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Silver Nitrate posted:

Mr. Burns, because when his lovely policies start to hurt his bottom line (workers too stupid to do jobs, threat of armed revolt outside his mansion gates etc) he'll change his policies. The other two don't care if the whole world rots as long as they get what they want.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

So are you positing an imminent population crash and or freeze then? Because even if we handwave bringing the rest of the world up to constant access to electricity (we aren't there yet) then usage should track to population, and populations follow a compounded growth curve.

Populations are following a logarithmic curve, and things like efficiency increases would decrease usage (or at least reduce the rate increase of usage).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://inthesetimes.com/article/16773/the_missing_native_vote

I know we're all mostly still high on Cantor's suffering, so here's something different, an article on the difficulty of voting in Indian country, Wandering Medicine v. McCulloch , and the potential effects on the midterm elections.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Populations are following a logarithmic curve, and things like efficiency increases would decrease usage (or at least reduce the rate increase of usage).

Jevons Paradox is in full swing for energy use in China.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

EDIT: ^^^ that's it, I was trying to remember the name for the increase in consumption while efficiency increases

computer parts posted:

The biological definition of logarithmic growth is different from the mathematical one. In math a logarithmic curve is the inverse of an exponential one, whereas biology uses the terms interchangeably. Or are you referring to the fact that populations are usually graphed on a logarithmic scale? That is for ease of viewing, the population change is still exponential,the curve just looks flat as a result of the scale. And while efficiency gains are increasing, so does personal usage, and we will hit the physical constraints on efficiency before we hit them on increases personal usage (we are coming close to the maximum physically efficient processor as it is)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Joementum posted:

This is a good point, especially since we've had a Speaker of the House who wrote a dissertation on the positive civilizing influence of the colonial Belgian education system in the Congo.

Wait, what?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

Mr. Burns, because when his lovely policies start to hurt his bottom line (workers too stupid to do jobs, threat of armed revolt outside his mansion gates etc) he'll change his policies. The other two don't care if the whole world rots as long as they get what they want.

I think you'd be amazed how myopic supposedly pragmatic capitalists can be. When things start going poorly for them, they won't compromise, they'll just bring in Thing 1 (fascists) and Thing 2 (theocrats) to brutalize the masses.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gingrich, if I'm not mistaken. D&D was talking about it during the 2012 primary season after Bachmann, Cain, and Perry crumbled.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

:newt:

Team Cantor Self-Medicates to Tune of $6,500

quote:

Current and former staffers for soon-to-step-down House Majority Leader Eric Cantor flooded into the Tune Inn Wednesday for a semi-private shindig featuring some heartfelt sobs, a few laughs and lots of Jameson.

The aides assembled at the Capitol Hill watering hole shortly before the Virginia Republican took to TV to announce that he would be relinquishing his leadership post, but not his seat, as of July 31. Cantor suffered a bruising defeat at the hands of tea party candidate Dave Brat on Tuesday night.

Once the news conference was over, the commiserators wiped away their tears and immediately opened their wallets — ponying up $500 and $1,000 contributions apiece in order to cover the $6,500 required to have the bar to themselves from 6 p.m. ’til closing.

Once the deal was done — staff were instructed to distribute wrist bands to the first 100 guests for what we presume was some sort of open bar scenario (“Everyone else pays,” one bartender alerted her co-worker) — the drinks began flowing (Jack and Cokes, whiskey shots were early favorites) and the jukebox started rocking.

The playlist was straight ’90s and 2000s rock (Creed, Guns and Roses, Candlebox) — you know, when music mattered. And life was still good.

:allears:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I give up.

I guess anything is possible but his background reads like a crunchy con angle .

Time to start the pool for when he decides Catholicism isn't 'ancient' enough, grows a scraggly beard and converts to Orthodoxy.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Kind of like the prize in Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, Joe Biden should fundraise by selling voicemails of himself congratulating you on becoming the Mayor of Boston.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Trimalchio.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

Time to start the pool for when he decides Catholicism isn't 'ancient' enough, grows a scraggly beard and converts to Orthodoxy.

It would be an interesting attempt to capture the all-encompassing authoritarian structure of Putin's Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxWhp5y23E

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On the plus side, Rep. Jeff Miller (R-FL) doesn't believe man existed at the time
Of the dinosaurs. However, he has some interesting thoughts about climate change as a result.

quote:

Miller: It changes. It gets hot, it gets cold. It’s done it for as long as we have measured the climate.

Liu: But man-made, isn’t that the question?

Miller: Then why did the dinosaurs go extinct? Were there men that were causing — were there cars running around at that point, that were causing global warming? No. The climate has changed since earth was created.

Checkmate, climatologists! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Spoilers Below posted:

(Apologies in advance if I'm covering ground y'all already know)

Did anyone thank you for this post yet? It was really good. I feel like I should read up on Adam Smith so I have more ammunition to work with, it sounds like has gently caress all to do with libertarianism the way it's envisioned today.

• Locked thread