Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Cyberbunbun/status/1068927898655047680?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

cumshitter posted:

i still think one of the best gambling places in any video game was Lufia II's gambling parlor. never made enough money to get a bunny sword but it still ruled

lufia 2 had a lot of best-ofs

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i thought they were making a parasite eve netflix thing

oh well anything can happen when you have netflix involved

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Handed Missus posted:

*RDR2 Online*

lol this is so disgusting

And yet pieces of poo poo enable this crap.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's anticlimactic in the sense that it's literally not the climax of the game. Because the real antagonist isn't an evil person or bad people, it's the very cosmic forces which deterministically shaped the course of human affairs from before the game even began.

the level of tragedy depends on how much you think jowy needs an rear end-beating

personally, gently caress that guy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's especially dumb because a lot of activities you can earn money with arent in online, robbing stores for example.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also I finished Jimmy And The Pulsating Mass

Jimmy is a good boy who is trying his best

the game is kind of a huge downer once you figure out what's going on, doubly so because it's normally such a lovely cop-out twist that every nerd loves to speculate about

this did it better than most(because it was clearly planned from the start) so it's still sad though

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i've been going from being disgusted with the companies, to being disgusted with the customers. when people are practically gagging for the opportunity to pay up, companies would be foolish not to enable them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Prav posted:

i've been going from being disgusted with the companies, to being disgusted with the customers. when people are practically gagging for the opportunity to pay up, companies would be foolish not to enable them.

spoken like a true capitalist

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

Yea my disgust is with the players, the fanboys, the whatever you want to call them. I just don't understand why people look at a game world and think "This skinner box is awesome, I will pay for this."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s impossible to empathize with people who paid 140 bucks for a novelty helmet and a cheap branded bag.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Yinlock posted:

spoken like a true capitalist

the perfect game has already been invented and it's a one-armed bandit

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Prav posted:

the perfect game has already been invented and it's a one-armed bandit

well yeah, that's why lootboxes were invented

why go to the trouble of making games good when you could instead take ruthless advantage of peoples' gambling addiction

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
bethesda should actually sell a real fallout canvass bag now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I mean they're still loving idiots who spend 200 bucks on hats ofc but I just pity them more than anything

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah it's not just gambling. take World of Tanks - saps will happily pay fifty bucks for an overpowered pretend internet tank. which they know will be powercrept by a new overpowered tank a few months later. time and time again, for thousands of dollars.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah it's tragic and hilarious and the perfect end-goal of capitalism

selling goods that have literally no utility, a very limited fixed cost, and no variable cost for money to people who are just so desperate for the thrill of buying anything at all

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
everyone who pays real money for virtual goods needs mental health care

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it's tragic and hilarious and the perfect end-goal of capitalism

selling goods that have literally no utility, a very limited fixed cost, and no variable cost for money to people who are just so desperate for the thrill of buying anything at all

That’s a bit too reductive. people don’t buy this crap just for the thrill of buying things, it becomes an expression of their very identity. having a crappy canvas bag with the vault 76 logo on it shows you’re a true fan who paid a premium for some exclusive merch.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
very glad they wont be taking their canvas bag to cons

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

yeah it's not just gambling. take World of Tanks - saps will happily pay fifty bucks for an overpowered pretend internet tank. which they know will be powercrept by a new overpowered tank a few months later. time and time again, for thousands of dollars.

Stuff like this is why I don’t play “free” to play games. You end up paying more than you would for a full priced game with micro transactions. Unfortunately as you can see with rockstar micro transactions have been spreading to full priced games for years now. Season passes are a huge pain now. The only season pass I’ve bought in the last year was for hitman 2 since I liked the extra content for the last hitman.

I agree with the people above who says players are enabling this behavior. I like Cory Balrog’s attitude about dlc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That’s a bit too reductive. people don’t buy this crap just for the thrill of buying things, it becomes an expression of their very identity. having a crappy canvas bag with the vault 76 logo on it shows you’re a true fan who paid a premium for some exclusive merch.

yeah I was more thinking virtual goods and not tacky pack-ins for collector editions

my only hope for that is that more people will say "guess I'm not gonna preorder the collector edition for anything ever again" than say "welp they learned their lesson, preordering the plastic trash edition is good now"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

there's a new bunch of naive kids* to trick that's born every year

*25-year-olds who should know better.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's not just the bags or the lunchboxes or the hats, it's about having the biggest, coolest list of games owned on your xbox/psn/steam profile too.

back in the late 80s/90s you could say it was some off-brand nerd poo poo, but the whole she-bang is a status symbol now. maybe there's an argument to be made that it shouldn't exploit children, but the gently caress else was it gonna do? play fair?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I cant blame whales anymore than i can alcoholivs. Theyre being preyed upon. gently caress bethesda gently caress valve *buys 20 games on steam winter sale*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ever seen a man get the vidya shakes? ain't pretty

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

he sits there trying to do half an a-press but instead he just taps, taps, taps. poor guy can't even do a two-minute run of dire dire docks any more

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im gonna find whoever invented tf2 hats, and im gonna destroy him or her, rhetorically

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
God help me im thinking of building a new pc

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s impossible to empathize with people who paid 140 bucks for a novelty helmet and a cheap branded bag.

It's funny as hell the people who got scammed don't realize this.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does it help if you think of it as customers paying to be psychologically manipulated as if it is a service?

like for cases of literal pay-to-win in competitive games like aforementioned World of Tanks (which I've never played so just going by what other goons have posted about it), the premium customer/player gets the satisfaction of winning or dominating others or whatever gratification they derive from it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Scary! posted:

Stuff like this is why I don’t play “free” to play games. You end up paying more than you would for a full priced game with micro transactions. Unfortunately as you can see with rockstar micro transactions have been spreading to full priced games for years now. Season passes are a huge pain now. The only season pass I’ve bought in the last year was for hitman 2 since I liked the extra content for the last hitman.

I agree with the people above who says players are enabling this behavior. I like Cory Balrog’s attitude about dlc

Destiny 2 did a new season pass that I don't hate, it's wild (that I don't hate it)

Basically, every expansion is split into paid and free stuff. If you didn't buy the season pass (the only way to get the expansions for the year) you get more of the same: new weapons and armor, max level increase, poo poo like that

If you bought it, you get new areas, some new quests and gear unique to those areas and their activities, plus all the stuff from the free update, and then any seasonal or limited time events that they do

It gives people who don't want to spend money something to do, and continues to add new stuff for people who kick in the thirty bucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also one of the new guns in the paid for version of the first expansion in the pass is basically mega man's cannon but nuclear

BoneDaddy1969
Mar 4, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

silentsnack posted:

does it help if you think of it as customers paying to be psychologically manipulated as if it is a service?

like for cases of literal pay-to-win in competitive games like aforementioned World of Tanks (which I've never played so just going by what other goons have posted about it), the premium customer/player gets the satisfaction of winning or dominating others or whatever gratification they derive from it.

The psychological aspect of it isn't restricted to video games. People put unhealthily personal investments into fashion, home decor, and all sorts of other stuff.

I can't speak for the pubbie whales, but the $120 or so that I spent on World of Tanks mostly went into the premium account, which just lets you unlock stuff faster. I also played that game for hundreds of hours so I don't think it was really money poorly spent, just time. There were no real pay2win tanks. Well, 90% of the player base was totally inept at basic game mechanics so I guess that some of the tanks you could buy could seriously improve your chances of getting a single kill. There are whales of different skill levels, and there was definitely different mental stuff going on underneath the hood there

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
XP-50 in War Thunder is the best internet gold I've ever spent.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

There were no real pay2win tanks.

yeah there were, but it was low-tier stuff like the Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f)

but more recently (well, years ago now) WG went whole hog on it instead of making them by mistake, after they noticed that a few pilot attempts were well received, and at this point releasing a new T8 premium that outclasses any non-prem in the tier is a regular occurrence.

the playerbase is still completely inept, mind.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Cocoa Crispies posted:

*looks @ SA forums*

yep, checks out

e:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The psychological aspect of it isn't restricted to video games. People put unhealthily personal investments into fashion, home decor, and all sorts of other stuff.

I can't speak for the pubbie whales, but the $120 or so that I spent on World of Tanks mostly went into the premium account, which just lets you unlock stuff faster. I also played that game for hundreds of hours so I don't think it was really money poorly spent, just time. There were no real pay2win tanks. Well, 90% of the player base was totally inept at basic game mechanics so I guess that some of the tanks you could buy could seriously improve your chances of getting a single kill. There are whales of different skill levels, and there was definitely different mental stuff going on underneath the hood there

i gotta admit, those one-month premiums looked pretty tempting when i still played WT and was trying to grind my way to my favorite airplanes

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cool dance moves posted:

*looks @ SA forums*

yep, checks out

Some of us didn't have to pay for our accounts. :smuggo:

I was not one of them, as account registration got closed for the Forums Police Action in 2001 just as I was getting into the forums :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

yeah there were, but it was low-tier stuff like the Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f)

but more recently (well, years ago now) WG went whole hog on it instead of making them by mistake, after they noticed that a few pilot attempts were well received, and at this point releasing a new T8 premium that outclasses any non-prem in the tier is a regular occurrence.

the playerbase is still completely inept, mind.

The last I remember was the Rudy T-34-85, and it was just very slightly better than all the other tier 6s. I did fully quit years ago so I have no idea whats up anymore.

The low tier prem sealclubbers were truly depraved. Those guys would rack up thousands of games in baby tier games that nobody else played, if that isn't some sort of power fantasy idk what is.