Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session of 1165 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

The following items have reached the 1/3rd opposition limit, so we await the KING's decision on whether to veto them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

The King expected a quiet session, more worried about assasins and traitors than politicks, but the House had erupted in shouting and fighting about the proposed expedition. Accusations were hurled against him, even from the noble descendants from far Cathay, of breaking bread with the Usurper and bowing to him. Some nobles shouted "India! To India my King! Prester John awaits!." He ignored most of them, except the younglings, the fourth generation of crusaders attending their first Cour session. "Please my King!" said young Diogo of Abrao "Return to India as a conqueror or return to China as a vassal." It reminded him of himself, when he had been all fury in the floor, daring them for a boat and a bunch of men to travel beyond the known world. We were so loving young, he thought, bitterly. For a moment he felt as broken as his hand.

The bill shall pass! He sentenced. But by the Grace of God I hope my successors wont make this same journey as Kings asking for a Grace but as Emperors asking for respect!

The noise continued, some nobles were excited about hearing a formal intent of Empire, some were angry and worried about the current wars. It didn't matter. The choice was made. Severin started to think about the journey to come, the boats, the sea, the food, the people, the sights, the unknown shores, the fights, the glory. The beginning of a smile appeared on his face.

Pacho fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 24, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1165

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 24, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Countrymen.

There comes a time where you have to face the facts. Our China-forward policy has served us quite well. We have a warm relationship with China. However, it is not an equitable relationship. The system of bartering with China for assistance involves being in the good graces of the emperor, dismantling parts of our sovereignty, and occasionally cutting huge checks. China is much like a large grindstone. It takes much effort to get going, but they will give returns over a long time. However, what we need now is an equitable partnership with nations that do not lie thousands upon thousands of miles from our border. We need allies in Europe. Anatolia, the Holy Roman Empire, the Pope, and the various states in France might not wield the awesome power that China does, but they are close by. Their ability to immediately inject troops into the combat zone, send trade throughout our coastal provinces, and our cultural heritage comes from Europe. Although certain parties have adopted an okay relationship with Europe, we must realize that our immediate success lies West, while our long term success lies in the east. Ergo, one should consider that joining Parti du Guerre will rally the cause of linking us with Europe in this time of need. Join us. We just need one more member to reach quorum to influence Jerusalem to be more open minded about geopolitics.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
we also have free wine if that helps

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh yeah, i'm going to go ahead here and give Parti du Guerre another try before the session.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1165

* Sell the barony of Comborn and county of Cinarca to the HRE, use the gold to compensate the owners, seek an alliance with the HRE

* Form a warrior lodge called the Knights of Solitude, and recruit commanders from the Knights to lead our wars (10 years)

* Establish a capital fund to loan to the Kingdom, if the current jihad is won then declare an embargo war on the Republic of Ragusa (10 years)

* Send the King on a diplomatic expedition to China (kowtow), upon his return send unlanded courtiers to China, request a strategist in return

* Appoint Grandmaster Leopold as Designated Regent

* Appoint Prince Morydd as Spymaster

* Send the Chancellor to Improve Relations with the Kaiser

* Rename Damietta to the Gilded Coast

* Investigate the Status of the Crown of Thorns

Chapter 16 – The Knights of Solitude – 1165 to 1170

In the spring of 1165, the lords of Jerusalem dispatched an embassy to the court of the Holy Roman Emperor, in Thuringen.

The embassy was led by Prince Svend, my own son, who had recently become a man and was eager to meet his new wife.

More importantly, however, the embassy also carried an offer with them. In need of funds and allies, the Haute Cour had decided to sell the barony of Comborn and County of Cinarca – significant hurdles to any alliance between Jerusalem and Europe thus far – to the Holy Roman Empire.

The holders of these titles were persuaded to part with their ancestral lands, persuaded with heavy pouches of gold and silver.

The Kingdom was still at war, however, and we needed money to keep levies raised and mercenaries on the field. So an agreement was also struck with the Doge of the Nile Republic, a shrewd and prudent merchant, who agreed to provide a loan to the Kingdom’s coffers.

In honour of this capital fund, the province of Damietta is renamed to the Gilded Coast.

All of that was left to the nobles, of course. I had no wish to meddle in politics, especially not whilst we were at war. I spent the summer and autumn of 1165 campaigning instead, retaking Medina in the Hejaz, marching on the last Muslim-held outposts in Egypt, and even sending a small fleet of ships to scout the coast of Cyrenaica.

Against all odds, we were going to win this war.

Needless to say, I didn’t fancy myself another Alexander or Hannibal. I wasn’t born a child of destiny, or gifted with a mind for tactics. And yet they called me Coeur de Lion – a strong, inspiring leader with the heart of a lion. That’s not something you’re born with. That’s something that can only be earned.

And very soon, that would be tested on the field of battle.

In the dying days of 1165, scouts sighted an immense Shia army advancing through Cyrenaica, estimated to number almost 30,000 troops. Taking hold of my panicking troops, I ordered a hasty retreat into Egypt, calling for reinforcements from vassals and allies.

That was when my son returned, landing in Alexandria just days after I reached the city myself. He came with a young, nubile wife and good news – the Holy Roman Emperor had accepted our offer of alliance!

Unfortunately, the news quickly soured as Svend revealed that further support was not forthcoming. Apparently, a deadly outbreak of disease had rocked Europe in recent years, only compounded by the eruption of rebellion in the Holy Roman Empire. The Kaiser was preoccupied with plague and civil war, and refused to be drawn into any conflicts in Africa.

We were saved by a very timely death, half a continent away. My blessed mother, the Duchess of Skane (a fief of the kingdom of Denmark), had passed away a few months previously, bequeathing her lands and treasury to her only living son… me.

The windfall of cash was quickly put to good use, with the Nubian Band joining the Mamluks and the PPP as mercenaries in the army. The services of the Knights of Calatrava were also acquired, marching alongside their brethren in the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitaller.

Together with the levies of Jerusalem and Egypt, the army was a fearsome sight to behold, an astonishing 25,000 soldiers assembled along the banks of the Nile.

There, we waited for the infidel to come.

The enemy was taking attrition as they marched through Egypt, but they determinedly pushed forward and onward. For myself, every waking hour was spent in council with my commanders and generals, and as we were devising tactics on the eve of the battle, a servant attempted to slip poison into my wine.

The traitor was ruthlessly yquestioned, of course, quickly revealing the man behind the attempt on my life.

The King of the Jews. This was surely his strategy for weakening Jerusalem before invading – and he had to be stopped. So when my spymaster began planning retribution, well… I didn’t stop him.

So much for being the prophesied messiah.

I didn’t have much time to celebrate this minor victory, however. As an orange sun rose on the Nile, 16,000 infidels charged across the river and crashed into my 12,000-strong army of levies and knights, falling squarely into my trap.

A horse was immediately sent racing to Rasheed, where young Svend was encamped with 13,000 mercenaries. All we had to do now was wait, and survive…

When the prince arrived at the blood-drenched banks of the Nile, however, King Severin was nowhere to be seen. Shouts and yells passed from rank to rank, and before long, rumours of the death of Severin Lionheart was spreading through the army.

Knowing well that this wasn’t the time to falter, Svend began barking orders, quickly taking command and rallying the army.

Driven by the death of their King, the forces of the infidel were shattered and surrounded, before being slaughtered en masse. The second battle of the Nile was won.

Svend didn’t celebrate, however. Instead, he moved from body to body, turning them over and wiping the mud and blood from their faces. A handful or dozens or hundreds, he didn’t know or care, he didn’t complain or cease, not until… until he found his father, grievously disfigured but still breathing.

Always in the thickest of the fighting, I remember taking a terrible blow to the head, pitching forwards and face-first into the dirt, and then… waking, weeks later and surrounded by physicians. I immediately asked about what happened, and the fools informed me that I had been injured in the fighting. After seizing a couple by the scruff and repeating myself, they finally realised what I was asking, stuttering and stammering as they told me about our victory on the Nile.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I prepared to take to the field again. They didn’t dare question me.

Wearing an iron mask and sporting a limp, I returned to the army in the summer of 1168. Young Svend had done well in my absence, harassing and hounding the enemy as they fled, but he was forced to retreat when another Shia army arrived in Egypt.

But I was back now. Heartened by the return of Coeur de Lion, 25,000 levies and mercenaries crossed the Nile in autumn and decisively crushed the infidels in the third battle of the Nile.

And with that, at long last, the enemy was forced out of Egypt for good. It was there, on the slippery riverbanks where three immense battles were fought and won, that I made a grand proclamation.

With my accumulated prestige and monetary backing from the Haute Cour, thousands of veterans of the battles were knighted and honoured, forming a new order – the Order of the Knights of Solitude – that was charged with the defense of the Kings and Queens of Jerusalem, the dispensing of their justice at home and abroad, and the preservation of stability in the realm.

Some might question the wisdom in founding such a powerful order, but this was a day to be remembered, be it with pride or alarm.

The news of crushing defeats along the Nile eventually made its way to Tunis, where the Caliph apparently dropped dead upon hearing the news.

This was a sign from God, surely. Determined to finally force an end to this war, the army was boarded onto thousands of ships in early 1169, with the mighty fleet sailing along the coasts of Africa and Sicily over the course of spring.

Finally, on the summer solstice of 1169, almost 16,000 soldiers landed at Tunis and stormed the immense city.

In the thick of the plundering and looting, a pair of Knights Solitary stumbled on the new Caliph attempting to escape the city. He was promptly seized and dragged to me, of course, whereupon he offered the entire contents of his treasury – a staggering 1400 gold ducats – in return for his life.

I was only too happy to accept.

With the Great Jihads finally at an end, the levy army was disbanded upon our return to Egypt, whilst the Knights Solitary made their base at the site of the victories on the Nile, where they began raising a new castle and training recruits.

Unfortunately, I now had kingly duties to attend to, and was forced to return to the vipers’ nest that was Jerusalem.

And upon reaching the corrupted city, I quickly realised that the nobles weren’t done with me yet. I had scarcely spent a day in Jerusalem before they informed me that it was the will of the Haute Cour to dispatch me on a journey to distant Cathay…

Why? I don’t know. I had spent a decade fighting their wars, and rather than honour me, they chose to send me as far away as they could, likely in the hope that I drowned in a storm or something. The sheer nerve

I spent the next days fuming, but soon enough I began to feel… impatient. Impatient and eager. Perhaps it was time for a new adventure.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Casualties:

- Gabriel, Prince of Ascalon, succeeded by Prince Abianos.
- Baldwin, Count of Irbid, succeeded by Countess Adeliza.
- Centule, Baron of Rammala, succeeded by Baron Jaspert.
- Isa Shabibid, Patrician of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Mukhtar.
- Sharaf Andirsun, Patrician of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Aziz, succeeded by Patrician Taimur.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 28, 2020

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Faction Tally leading to the 1170 Session

Society for Heavenly Harmony (China-flavored Tolerance)

Leader: King Severin (Pacho)
Members: Count-Marshal Vakhtank (Flesnolk), Princess Edda (clayren), Count Huang (QuoProQuid), Prince Antoninu (Jossar), Count Meir (Xelkelvos), Prince Arsenios (Rody One Half), Prince-Chancellor Abianos (Angstrom Gothington), Wali-Emir Abdul-Razzaq (mcclay)
# of members/votes: 9 members, 36 votes

Pro Regno et Civitate (Internal Realm Cohesion & Development)

Leader: Prince-Spymaster Morydd (Mirdini)
Members: Prince Fursu (sheep-dodger), Prince Alderic (Erwin the German), Doge Nadbor (UNCLAIMED), Countess Stephanie (Snipee), Count Bohemond (Luhood), Prince Humbert (Freudian)
# of members/votes: 7 members, 28 votes

Mercator Dei (Economy, Merchantry)

Leader: Patrician Sieciech (Thordain)
Members: Patrician Farag (Grizzwold), Bleddyn Cynwrig (megane), Count Julien (Slaan), Patrician Przybor (Ralepozozaxe), Countess Adelisa (Technowolf), Wali Mukhtar (Gigagar)
# of members/votes: 7 members, 16 votes

Ecumenism, Plunder, Brotherhood, Order and Joy (Jaffite Expansionism)

Leader: Count Geoffroy (AJ_Impy)
Members: Owain Gwynllwyg (Captain Mediocre), Princess Almodis (Lord Cyrahzax), Count Josselin (HiHoChiRho)
# of members/votes: 4 members, 11 votes

Jerusalem Independence Party

Leader: Grandmaster Aurelio (Top Hats Monthly)
Members: Baron Jaspert (TheFlyingLlama), Count Diogo Dias (Frionnel), Maël Cornouaille (Zikan)
# of members/votes: 4 members, 10 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Countess Péronelle (CapFalcon), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebus), Baroness Sigerda (Pakled), Countess Julienne (Soup du Jour), Count-Steward Gauthier (i81icu812), Princess-Chancellor Gerberge (Flavius Aetass), Prince Mathieu (Obliterati), Prince-Advisor Boson (Yavuz), Captain Mukhtar (Kangxi), Wali Taimur (WilliamAnderson), Bogdan Ryba (fish and chips and dip), Jovani Giaguaro (JT Jag), Vincenç de Montségur (Vinny Possum), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton),
# of members/votes: 15 members, 42 votes

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 2, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

literally need ONE member for parti du guerre. give it a shot. change up the balance of things for once.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 29, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Requested on discord, so here's a list of the founding members of the Knights of Solitude

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

House FitzWalter stands with Mercator Dei.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nadbil, Duke of India, declares for the Society

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.
Wali Mukhtar goes with Mercator Dei.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
I, Abianos ad'Daula, declare for SHH. I've grown quite accustomed to the delicacies of the East, and hope our King will bring back the latest in Cathayan culinary trends!

I'm honored to respect the faction leadership of King Severin.

Angstrom Gothington fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 29, 2020

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'm declaring for the SSH

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

literally need ONE member for parti du guerre. give it a shot. change up the balance of things for once.

Sorry, I would but I'm a lady of solitude now.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Chinese influence is fine. Becoming subservient to the Emperor is not.

We are founding the Jerusalem Independence Party

* Anti Kowtow
* Strengthen regional influence of Jerusalem (at the expense of China, oppose new tributaries and expansion of the Western Protectorate into the Middle East)
* Elevate our status to equal of the Chinese emperor, not a subject

(Text: Top: JERUSALEM INDEPENDENCE PARTY Center: Kowtow Bottom: FRATERNITÉ CONTRE LA RÉVÉRENCE)

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 29, 2020

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

A missive arrives from Damascus, carried by pigeon and read by the Cour's Herald.

Prince Morydd, holidaying in Damascus, does hereby announce his resignation from the Society for Heavenly Harmony. He thanks his former peers for their collaboration and hard work, but believes the interests of the realm and his own demesne are better served by joining the late Dimitri's Pro Regno et Civitate at this hour of peace and triumph in the realm. He will gladly also accept the already-offered... well, there's no documentation, but I'll take his word for it... position of leadership of that faction.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 29, 2020

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Chinese influence is fine. Becoming subservient to the Emperor is not.

We are founding the Jerusalem Independence Party

* Anti Kowtow
* Strengthen regional influence of Jerusalem (at the expense of China, oppose new tributaries and expansion of the Western Protectorate into the Middle East)
* Elevate our status to equal of the Chinese emperor, not a subject

(Text: Top: JERUSALEM INDEPENDENCE PARTY Center: Kowtow Bottom: FRATERNITÉ CONTRE LA RÉVÉRENCE)

Baron Jaspert of Rammala joins the JIP

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Joining the Jerusalem Independence Party.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I forgot to update council positions in the OP, so that's done now

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Prince Morydd arrives in the Haute Cour chambers in full finery, now sporting a fancy PRC emblem with hand-stitched "House Shabibid" branding.

Honored members of the Cour, I stand before you as once my father did, and will make a similar entreaty as he. Pro Regno et Civitate has seen its fortunes fall over the past decade, as war has consumed Jerusalem. Fair enough, a time of jihad is one best spent on military matters, not civil. We have emerged triumphant, however, and it is time to launch a renewed push to improve this realm's infrastructure, and the livelihoods of all within it. I entreat you to consider joining my faction, so that we may see a decade as if not more productive than those overseen by the late Prince Dimitri. As a token of good faith, PRC commits to working with other interested parties in this chamber in the coming session to once again improve hospital infrastructure in the realm. Great strides have been made in the past half-century, but there remains room to further incorporate advances in medicine (or so my chaplain informs me).

Vote PRC today!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I, Prince Humbert of Alexandria, announce my loyalty to Pro Regno et Civitate, in the footsteps of my esteemed mother, may she rest in peace.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The Post-war press conferences continue as the Grandmaster of the Knights Templar steps up to the podium.

Thanks folks, I only have time for a few questions so let's get to them fast.

A question rises from the...media members(?) among the Haute Cour. It is a murmur and indecipherable but the grandmaster seems to understand it perfectly

Yeah, obviously once the first war was wrapped up it was much easier for us to deal with the Shia Jihad. They had numbers at the start but we knew if we kept the war in front of us and fought hard all four quarters that we would have a good chance. Next question?

Yet another murmured question at the...Wait, press conference? Did 12th century Jerusalem have press conferences? Something is strange here, we might be getting another Knife Event.
The Grandmaster hears this question as well.

Yeah, Mercator Dei was really fantastic for us in these wars. Getting the PPP was such a game changer with those camels and their local expertise, and then we were also able to borrow money from them to keep things going during the tougher moments. This war was won through the hiring of forces like us and the PPP, and Mercator Dei was so good at making that happen. I don't think any party played a bigger role in keeping this nation whole.

"Alright, that's all the time we have, thank you." With that the media rushes out and the stunned lords and ladies of the Haute Cour are left to consider what just transpired.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Joining the Jerusalem Independence Party.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Session of the Haute Cour, 1170

A few days before his departure for the east, King Severin enters the nearly-complete Hall of the Haute Cour in the House of Groves, wearing an iron mask and flanked by his Knights Solitary.

: Nobles of Jerusalem, preparations to sail for the Empire of Cathay are almost complete… as per your orders.

: Even as I travel to the ends of the earth, I hope that this assembly remembers that I remain King. We have been fighting the infidel for almost fifteen years, and now that the Great Jihads are defeated, there is much work to be done in securing our borders to the north and west, in restoring our ravaged territories in Egypt and depleted fiefs in the Holy Land.

A page rushes to the King and whispers in his ear.

: I have matters to attend to, it would seem. Before I leave, however, let me assure you all that this diplomatic expedition will be a short one. I will be back before long… until then, Jerusalem is yours.

Severin exits the assembly hall, leaving a pair of looming, speechless Knights Solitary on either side of the throne.

State of Affairs

King: Severin Estrid
Government: Agnatic-Cognatic Elective Monarchy
Factions: EP-BoJ, Mercator Dei, Pro Regno et Civitate, Society of Heavenly Harmony, Jerusalem Independence Party
Treasury: 2387 gold, +4.08/month
Piety: 1386, +1.82/month
Grace: 0
Threat: 5%
Army: 7670 levies
Non-Aggression Pacts: Kaiser of Holy Roman Empire.
Alliances: Holy Roman Empire.
Wars: none.

Active Policies:
Active Laws - 9/10:

World Map:

Weak Claims:

Succession:
Next in line for Jerusalem is Count Gauthier of Beersheb.

Council and Court:
There’s a few minor titles available – court jester, master of the horse, high almoner, cupbearer, court tutor.

Laws:
Next crown law can be passed now, next regular law can be passed in a couple years.

Technology:
We’re back in Jerusalem, so there are plenty of advancements available.

Military:

Factions:
Prince Mathieu and Prince Alderic are posing a problem, and there’ll probably be another demand for increased council power.

Known Plots:

Decisions:

Religion:
Pope Leo X rules in Rome, no anti-popes.

Culture:

Relations:

Trade Zones:
We’re about to have a war with Ragusa/Byzantines over trade posts in the eastern Med.

Defensive Pacts:

Diseases:

Empire of China:

Ruler Prerogative:
- Staging the cheapest coronation ceremony.
- Awarding minor titles.
- Arranging marriages for family members and courtiers.
- Taking loans from merchant communities.
- Imprisoning treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Ransoming/Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing prisoners of war.
- Sending gifts.
- Purchasing favours.
- Converting his own religion.
- Requesting that courtiers and vassals convert to his religion.

Legislation:
Once the Haute Cour is in session, any lord of the realm can submit legislation, which largely consists of Policies and Laws, as well as optional Directives.
As mentioned, members of the Haute Cour may support or oppose proposals of their choosing.
If at least 1/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, then that proposal is submitted for the consideration of the King. If at least 2/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, it is struck from the books regardless of the amount of support received. The King may strongarm a policy of his own devising in its place.
Sessions of the Haute Cour last 48 hours, 24 hours for drafting legislation and 24 hours for voting. After this period, the 4 most popular proposals are gathered into a single document or Recess, which is then implemented in the next update.

Rules of the Haute Cour:
- You cannot join or change factions when the Haute Cour is in session.
- A member of a Faction may support or oppose legislation submitted by anyone.
- Courtiers are entitled to 1 vote, Barons to 2 votes, Counts to 3 votes, Dukes to 4 votes, Kings/Viceroys to 5 votes. Members of the Council have 2 additional votes.
- The Designated Regent minor title has 1 additional vote, but in the event of a incapable or underage ruler and resulting regency, this will rise to 5 votes.
- Votes are cumulative, so for example, a Count may have 10 votes if they are on the Council and become Regent.
- In addition to supporting Policies or Laws, lords may vote Aye/Nay on each Directive.
- Rank has no effect when Directives are being considered. In this case, each member of the Haute Cour has only a single vote, Aye or Nay.
- If Policies and/or Laws gather sufficient opposition, they may be struck from the bill. The King may strongarm his own agenda into the bill in their place.
- In cases where Laws and Policies contradict one another, the policy will take precedence.
- If support for two proposals are equal, and there is only one place remaining in the Recess, the King chooses between them.
- For obvious reasons, legislation cannot pertain to the ruler’s personal life, unless is he is underage. So, for example, the Haute Cour has no control over who the King marries, though unwise decisions may affect his standing amongst his lords.
- The Haute Cour has no authority over the Character Focus or the Ambition of the King, those being his private matter.

For more details on legislative sessions, click HERE.
For more detail on in-game actions, click HERE.

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

A sulky teen approaches, slouched back and all. Though his clothes appear to be of fine make, they appear to be worse for wear

Members of the Haut Cour, these recent Jihads, as well as the constant disease in my region, have affected our wealth and productivity in ways that I'm told I cannot imagine. Well, what I do know, is that my fine silks are running ragged and it has been increasingly hard to acquire new ones from China. That's why I propose the No Secrets Among Friends Directive, in which King Severin and his entourage will aquire the secrets of manufacturing silk, porcelain, paper, as well as any other interesting oddities they come across on their meeting with the Emperor, through means diplomatic or otherwise.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Before our King departs for the Far East Mercator Dei feels we must celebrate his great works. The Couer De Lion has fought for 15 years to keep us safe, and during that time been a great friend to the merchants and the peasants of Jerusalem. He has protected us from foreign invaders, worked with us on policy, and always served honorably and diligently. He deserves a great Festival of Fortune to celebrate his achievements in keeping us safe.

But beyond our celebrations at wars' end, I feel it is my duty to speak harshly. Our King has fought great battles on behalf of this Kingdom. The decision to send him, a man who has fought tirelessly while we sat in comfortable apartments for 15 years, to China to beg for the favor of some far off emperor is absurd. But the plan is set and there is nothing we can do to keep him from going. But perhaps Mercator Dei can offer one thing to our king to help...tip the scales. I am speaking of our greatest family treasure, I am speaking of KNIFE EVENTS.

Since the founding of my family, occasionally we have been able to change the balance of an unfavorable situation through the use of a special dagger. It is a weapon of great power yes, easy to conceal and vicious in its teeth, but beyond that it can shape the form of a situation, put a thumb on the divine scales in your favor. It can make KNIFE EVENTS happen: whirlpools of pure chaos and chance but ones that the wielder can somehow swim through. When my grandfather was a boy our family had nothing more than a small, regional weapons manufacturing business. This blade and its KNIFE EVENTS have helped us rise to where I stand now.

I do not know why we are sending our king to these far off lands, but he will not go alone and he will not go unarmed. So let us celebrate our King and his great triumphs, as well as put him in a better position to celebrate many more.

Good Luck and Well Wishes Act:
1. In honor of the King's great victories before he departs for China The Festival of Fortune will be held to celebrate the victories he has won over our foes.

2. During the festival, in recognition of the great relationship between King Severin and the merchants of Jerusalem, Mercator Dei presents the King with The Mersir Family Dagger(artifact, +2 intrigue, +5 to merchant relations, can allow KNIFE EVENTS) to help him in his journey East.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

A message is read aloud by one of the Thermidor's Clam Guard.

You know, I was told getting rich in the Red Sea would be easy, just marry into one of the families, change my name, and BOOM, lotsa cash. All i've gotten so far is a disease and my own jail cell.

But that's not to say we can't stop looking for opportunity! A new prime market has opened up north, very lucrative. I heard they even have a bell that makes money, what an invention. I'll have to bring that Idea to the next Thermidor family get together... that is... if I ever get to go to another one. Anyways...

The For Whom the Bell Tolls Act

A proposed flag for the republic is presented.
1. The Duchy of Skane will be turned into a merchant republic known as the Øresund Republic.
2. The MR will be administered by a member of the King's family and 4 other families, one of which must be of the Romuvan Religion.
3. The MR will be under the control of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Maybe someday I can make it up there, can't be much worse than were I am now.

Signed,
Majid Thermidor

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 1, 2020

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

The Hospital Improvement Policy

Recognising the importance of public health for a safe and prosperous kingdom,

Acknowledging the spread of disease and unrest that accompanies warfare,

Realising the importance of public works and infrastructure to the kingdom's recovery from the recent wars,

The Haute Cour hereby calls upon the King to:

1) Improve hospital facilities in Jerusalem and Cairo by constructing leper colonies in those provinces.

2) Improve the hospital facilities in Damascus by constructing a sick house there, if funding permits.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

There's always a lot of hootzpah going on about China, but i've heard they've got some great stuff in India. I have my sources, no, i won't say who it was. In particular, i've heard they have some great nuts. Man, do i love me some great nuts.

I propose a directive to send an expedition over to India. Better to learn about our new neighbors early. I'm sure they are friendly.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 1, 2020

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Princess Edda "The Suicidal" d'Este of Aswan

An emissary of the Princess of Aswan once more addresses the assembly, flanked by banner-bearers who hold up long blue flags with the d'Este white eagle upon them.

"I speak to you gentle lords and ladies now on behalf of my lady, Princess Edda of House d'Este, ruler of Aswan and guardian of the Lower Nile. My lady is unable to be with you to celebrate these victories, but nonetheless shares your joy and gives praise to the triumphant King Severin the Lionhearted. As such she proposes the following policy:

Honor and Glory to Severin the Lionheart! Policy

Before his departure for the East the victorious King Severin is to organize a coronation ceremony befitting of his prestige and wise leadership, if current funds allow.

If they do not the coronation should be scheduled as soon as otherwise possible upon his return.

An extravagant coronation shall be held in this manner with the Pope preferably or at least a high-ranking clergy member officiating.

Good luck on your travels wise liege, Christ goes with you."

Proposal retracted in favor of the Three Cheers For The Lionheart! Act.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 1, 2020

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Sweet Jerusalem, I bid you farewell. You have know nothing but war for the last 15 years and now its time to rebuild, to prepare. And for that we need:

The Peace in Our Time Act

1. Transfer vassalage of the county of Negev from the person of the King to Morydd of House Blaiddyd, Prince of Outrejordain

2. Create the Duchy of Galilee and grant it to the person of Vakhtank of House Ruben, including suzerainty over its de jure counties of Safed, Beirut, Tyrus and Tiberias

3. Keep a survey of the royal demesne to see if a county or barony is under the person of the King (or Queen, because I'll be away, the road to Cathay is dangerous and I've heard rumors of horse lords in the Silk Road) that should, de jure, be under one of our noble dukes and princes. In that case, the county or barony should be transferred to its de jure liege. This policy will last 10 years, binding the new ruler in the case of my demise

Also, The Hospital Improvement Policy will be the SHH forced bill. Disease and Plague are the common foe of mankind and we must man the hospitals as we man the castles

Let my heart rest knowing that Jerusalem will bloom, even in my absence, and if the Lord is great I shall return to see it greater than ever. And even if the times are dire and my body is lost; my mind and soul will return westward. At the break of day, look to the east!

The King steps away from the stage and looks down Now, come, old friend. Adventure awaits! An old goose, at the feet of a very disciplined knight, slowly wakes up, HONKS to the entire Haute Cour and starts to waddle behind the King

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

After speaking with our comrades in SSH, I am proud to present our joint bill, combining the Good Luck and Well Wishes Act with the Honor and Glory to Severin the Lionheart! Policy. I am now retracting my previous bill and presenting this one:

Three Cheers For The Lionheart! Act:
1. In honor of the King's great victories as he departs for China The Festival of Fortune will be held to celebrate the victories he has won over our foes.

2. Before the festival, in recognition of the great relationship between King Severin and the merchants of Jerusalem, Mercator Dei presents the King with The Mersir Family Dagger(artifact, +2 intrigue, +5 to merchant relations, can allow KNIFE EVENTS) to help him in his journey East.

3. Organize an extravagant coronation ceremony for King Severin befitting of his prestige and wise leadership, if current funds allow, with the Pope preferably or at least a high-ranking clergy member officiating. If funds are not sufficient before the kowtow, the coronation should be scheduled as soon as otherwise possible upon his return.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Prince Morydd hurries into the chamber, wiping some mysterious red stains into a servant's offered towel, and takes his seat with practiced nonchalance.

It seems that I've missed the lion's share of lawmaking in this session. Unfortunate! However, from what my good scribe has relayed the bills this session do much to address issues PRC had raised, so I am content to voice my support for their goals. While I may have parted factional ways with our good King, he is indeed most deserving of a fine send-off.

As it stands, it seems we have some room for directives on this session's recess, so if the Cour will allow me....

Directive: Nominate Prince Fursu to serve as Master of the Horse

Directive: Invest our Military Technology progress into Military Organization

Directive: Invest our Cultural Technology progress into Tolerance

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

The teen returns, with a slight air of annoyance. One of his pants legs has been torn off, and in the distance you can see the goose waddle away with a piece of fabric in it's beak

Members of the Cour, I understand your anger towards our king. Too much land, he's held your men for too long. I personally am still owed quite a few pieces of gold from him, with interest. However we should act reasonably about this, instead of joining in dangerous plots and factions to tear our home apart(and my business). That's why I propose a Directive to send the Chancellor to convince our more aggrieved members, such as Prince Mathieu and Prince Alderic, to bribe us like no tomorrow give sound reasons to disband any various factions in the realm.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The slender Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller approaches the main discussion area.

Friends and colleagues. Issues that may presently be occurring with the King's inclination to go on tour to China, the Jerusalem Independence Party would like to put forward the following act:

Indian Coastal Redoubt Act

*Divert up to 500 gold a year on building up the holdings (with improvements in Kanthakota taking priority) in Jerusalemite India to strengthen the economy and improve the defense of our far-flung possessions.
*With funds left over after forts, upgrades, etc. are completed, construct a hospital in Dhamalpur to prevent sicknesses spreading from the other Indian states into our part of India (where it could then spread to our realm via sea).

This builds up our territory in India, keeps it defensible and safe while caring for the welfare of our subjects. If the unfortunate policy of kowtow-ing continues, this also provides an "aid-station" that the King could stop at for medical care from trained doctors and nurses. The port facilities being built up here would also be highly attractive to our patrician friends, who ought to know that the spice trade that occurs in both India and some farther flung areas (such as Jazirat al-Muluk, a trader has informed me).

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Condemning in the strongest terms the ludicrous obsession certain parties have with subordinating our properly elected monarchs beneath an unelected foreigner, acknowledging and supporting the formation of the single issue party in opposition to this madness, and trying to make the best of a terrible, terrible situation, we propose the Your Quest is on the way directive:

On the King’s journey east, he is to go via the court of Prester John.