Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Also it's unbelievable that this was 10 years ago, both because it seems impossible that it's been that long, and because watching it it feels like watching something from 25 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQrrcwMMKl4

drat, time does fly. My wife inadvertantly reminded me that heckling Steven A Smith for his cheese doodle intake is over 12 years old; she has managed to follow sports and not see his takes until last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Oh man, Magary always seemed like a pretty self-aware and overall solid dude despite any past misgivings. Hope he's okay. Him counter to David Roth's deadpan on the deadcast slays me, but I may be one of 35 listeners at this point.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KingNastidon posted:

Oh man, Magary always seemed like a pretty self-aware and overall solid dude despite any past misgivings. Hope he's okay. Him counter to David Roth's deadpan on the deadcast slays me, but I may be one of 35 listeners at this point.

I just started listening relatively recently because I really like Roth but it definitely made me like Magary a lot more than I do as a writer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MMA writer Iain Kidd is a convicted pedo apparently

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KingNastidon posted:

He has a much better rapport with Roth than he does than he did with Marchman.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Maybe they were just wrestling

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Galaxy Brained Graham Couch refuses to rank basketball teams until they've played a true road game.
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...ake/2264942002/

Beating the number one team multiple time zones away doesn't count!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to sound weird and most people aren't going to believe me, but everyone should give Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s new book a read. It's not very long and it's basically all about his history of concussions and what led to his retirement. He shares the personal notes he took on his phone about his physical and mental state following the concussions. He details his recovery process. Literally nothing is held back. Even if you don't give a poo poo about Dale Jr. or racing, there's plenty to learn here about what it's like to have multiple concussions, what it's like to come back from them too soon, the process of recovery and how battling this pretty much changes you permanently.

I expected it to be a nothing book, but it really goes all in on his battle with concussions and it's pretty incredible to read.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/Whooping_Jane/status/1072909129038086144
Did the Athletic forget to also hire editors from failing print media?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zeeman posted:

https://twitter.com/Whooping_Jane/status/1072909129038086144
Did the Athletic forget to also hire editors from failing print media?

hoooooly poo poo what is that from :stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh no not Jane

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

DJExile posted:

hoooooly poo poo what is that from :stare:

It was in this article: https://theathletic.com/705272/2018...son-of-oakland/

They've since edited it. Here's the official apology on the article:

quote:

Editor’s​ note: We deeply​ apologize​ for​ the offensive​ language originally published in this​ story.​ It failed​ to​ meet​​ our editorial standards and we commit to doing better moving forward.
And from the writer in the comments:

quote:

I was completely wrong. Completely wrong. It was a a foolish, tasteless joke that was mistakenly posted for less than 10 minutes. I won’t even bother explaining the joke because it doesn’t matter. It was just wrong. Everybody who is angry at me has every reason to be. I am angry at myself. I apologize profusely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's ... A pretty good retraction?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scaramouche posted:

That's ... A pretty good retraction?
The apology is a couple of notches better than the usual "If anyone was offended by my..." waffle.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Did the Athletic every say anything about that writer who posted a lengthy and glowing Derrick Rose article while at the same time working on a documentary about Derrick Rose that was funded by Derrick Rose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

Did the Athletic every say anything about that writer who posted a lengthy and glowing Derrick Rose article while at the same time working on a documentary about Derrick Rose that was funded by Derrick Rose.

I thought that was Stadium, not the Athletic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought that was Stadium, not the Athletic.

It was Shams, who works for both, but the piece in question was on the Athletic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m judging that athletic faux pas relative to the New York Times employing Judith miller and uncritically reporting Russian propaganda.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

I’m judging that athletic faux pas relative to the New York Times employing Judith miller and uncritically reporting Russian propaganda.

i expect my corporate owned world news sources to be uncritical shills but i demand ethics in sports journalism

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

what if I think all those things are bad

I know you have a lot of trouble distinguishing between forums, but people getting mad about Judith Miller in the thread about sports journalism would be kinda weird!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 13, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I find it hard to be upset about the Hornets’ mediocrity in the face of Hillary’s crimes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

morestuff posted:

I find it hard to be upset about the Hornets’ mediocrity in the face of Hillary’s crimes

Lock her up for the vet min.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Timby posted:

He has a much better rapport with Roth than he does than he did with Marchman.

I always liked Marchman too, solid dark cackle, but Roth is definitely a better podcast guy. Their duo podcast this week wasn't too bad and probably more interesting if I knew a single thing about baseball, but highlighted how much Magary carries the show even if he can be a bit much at times. Seems Drew isn't dead and didn't do anything too stupid based on their comments early on, so that's good.

Somewhat surprised that Barstool didn't go after Drew as tinstaach said. Given PFT's prior history at KSK there had to be some sort of top-down mandate? Magary has a lot worse comments/articles than Samer or Tom Ley or whatever other milquetoast deadspin person they usually go after.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Magary is pretty open and introspective about how awful a lot of his old work was

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 13, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

i expect my corporate owned world news sources to be uncritical shills but i demand ethics in sports journalism

what's your opinion on barstool sports

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For once I’ve gotta say: Stick to sports
https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1073212016846868480?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't know if I agree with that take but I respect it and his willingness to take a "2003 Barry Bonds if he played every game at Coors" ratio for his belief

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

I don't know who this dude is, but he's messing with people, right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

what's your opinion on barstool sports

lemme tell you son if cheesecake photos as a dedicated feature of your website in 2018 is wrong, i don’t want to be right

BasicFunk posted:

I don't know who this dude is, but he's messing with people, right?

i dunno man most of the wonderbread motherfuckers i’ve interacted with criminally underrate prince and constantly overrate taylor swift so who’s to say

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/715903385111805952

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Prince loving rules but Taylor Swift is also very good. Her thing isn't really my thing, but she's insanely good at what she does.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Prince loving rules but Taylor Swift is also very good. Her thing isn't really my thing, but she's insanely good at what she does.

Look, I'll be one of the first to tell you that music is a subjective thing and you can like what you want. But ain't no way in hell Taylor Swift is on Prince's level. Ain't no way in hell.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BasicFunk posted:

Look, I'll be one of the first to tell you that music is a subjective thing and you can like what you want. But ain't no way in hell Taylor Swift is on Prince's level. Ain't no way in hell.

I'm not saying she is. Simply saying one being great doesn't mean the other is bad.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Yeah she's really good at writing the same "well, I got dumped again" song for teenage girls and the FM stations they play in waiting rooms

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
1989 was a hella good album and if you're too busy smelling your own farts to admit that Pop Music Is Okay Sometimes then i hope you enjoy missing everything cool and dying angry

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Red is her best album, and one of the best of the new millennium.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

1989 was a hella good album and if you're too busy smelling your own farts to admit that Pop Music Is Okay Sometimes then i hope you enjoy missing everything cool and dying angry

This discussion is about comparing her to Prince so playing the "you just hate pop music" card is very dumb.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the argument here is very plainly she isn't as good as prince because she's bad and not the infinitely more accurate she isn't as good as prince because he's better but i'll take that to go with a side of kiss my rear end

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

noted avant garde free jazz artist prince

and yes before you quote me and own me i’m aware he’s dabbled in fusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

honestly, at this rate, by the end of her career, the matter of fact statement (independent of talent/impact/genre/whatever) of "Taylor Swift has more good songs than Prince" may not be as far off from wrong than you might think. which, again, wouldn't have any effect on whether or not she was an objectively better musician than him in any way

Prince also was very about composing albums as a whole, I don't think he ever once actually gave a poo poo about any individual song being exceptionally great