Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My friends got way into SC and I spent a few hours playing it with them and was just utterly confused the entire time. To me it was a janky pile of poo poo without even a decent flight model but to them it was some amazing, unique experience. I really don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
What’s always interesting to me is both No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous have done most of what would be the base/core of Star Citizen gameplay despite having like a fraction of the financial backing.

I remember when I was going through language school one of the NCOs in my Chinese class was raving about SC after a few of us were talking about video games. I was the only other person who had heard about it through the kickstarter thread and I said it seems like a scam. Glad to see 7 years later I’m still right.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

What’s always interesting to me is both No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous have done most of what would be the base/core of Star Citizen gameplay despite having like a fraction of the financial backing.

I remember when I was going through language school one of the NCOs in my Chinese class was raving about SC after a few of us were talking about video games. I was the only other person who had heard about it through the kickstarter thread and I said it seems like a scam. Glad to see 7 years later I’m still right.

I find it interesting that NMS promised the moon and gave us the dust from some dudes back yard in New Mexico, but over time they actually put effort in and made the game what they initially promised.

Star Citizen will never ever do that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I find it interesting that NMS promised the moon and gave us the dust from some dudes back yard in New Mexico, but over time they actually put effort in and made the game what they initially promised.

Star Citizen will never ever do that.

So I'm a sucker for space games. I bought NMS as soon as I knew about it. I backed ED before it was released and I've put more money into SC than I should.

I check out SC every 6 months or so, and it is getting better every release. Is it what they promised? No. Did I invest into a ponzi scheme? Probably. Would I buy the $500 bucks of ships or whatever again? No, because I have house repairs out the rear end now, but I would have been okay with tossing $75 for a sweet one man spaceship with the hope that we get something that meets his vision besides hookers and a pile of blow.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I was a gigantic Wing Commander fan and still remember WC2 as one of the games I was most excited for ever, but I also remember it started sucking pretty hard from III on and even I can admit there's nothing so revolutionary about the series that 20 years (30? oh god no) later we should give its dev team any bit of clout beyond a nostalgia beer

The setting is a straight "we didn't want to pay Larry Niven to use the kzinti" ripoff and the characterization is, uh...cartoonish.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

TCD posted:

So I'm a sucker for space games. I bought NMS as soon as I knew about it. I backed ED before it was released and I've put more money into SC than I should.

I check out SC every 6 months or so, and it is getting better every release. Is it what they promised? No. Did I invest into a ponzi scheme? Probably. Would I buy the $500 bucks of ships or whatever again? No, because I have house repairs out the rear end now, but I would have been okay with tossing $75 for a sweet one man spaceship with the hope that we get something that meets his vision besides hookers and a pile of blow.

Over 40 million dollars, last year alone. No, dude. No.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My wife and I bought Satisfactory to play together and it is way more fun than I expected, gently caress.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife and I bought Satisfactory to play together and it is way more fun than I expected, gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALdIbC1pM-s&t=129s

Here have some inspiration for how to abuse the game. I particularly like the tornado of conveyors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I do not appreciate you reminding me of this.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2020/09/29/combat-mission-op-diversity/

Combat Mission is looking for some unpaid volunteers to help add diversity to it's voice acting. They want amateur voice actors to add voices that are not generic white British male soldiers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Star Wars: Squadrons is out tomorrow* 🤤

*its already tomorrow if you want to VPN to New Zealand

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Star Wars: Squadrons is out tomorrow* 🤤

*its already tomorrow if you want to VPN to New Zealand

Cool. Wish I hadn't packed up my HOTAS while I sell my house :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mario 35 is tetris attack but mario

play it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

golden bubble posted:

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2020/09/29/combat-mission-op-diversity/

Combat Mission is looking for some unpaid volunteers to help add diversity to it's voice acting. They want amateur voice actors to add voices that are not generic white British male soldiers.

Millions out of work due to covid and they want free voice acting. gently caress off.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Turns out that being sick for a week is not good for your gaming habits

:stare:

gently caress 1.0

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you're going to replay HZD before the sequel like I did, I recommend getting all the DLC and side quest stuff done as soon as you can before a lot of the main quest stuff. Usually that's a strategy for making boss fights easier, but in this case I noticed they change a lot of the dialogue to show Aloy's greater understanding of everything going on.

God, I hope Nil is in the sequel. The best NPC.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

GD_American posted:

If you're going to replay HZD before the sequel like I did, I recommend getting all the DLC and side quest stuff done as soon as you can before a lot of the main quest stuff. Usually that's a strategy for making boss fights easier, but in this case I noticed they change a lot of the dialogue to show Aloy's greater understanding of everything going on.

God, I hope Nil is in the sequel. The best NPC.

you mean the main quest dialogue? that's wild

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The DLC is by far the best part of the game imo so I'd also agree with doing it earlier so you're not burnt out by the time you hit it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Patware posted:

you mean the main quest dialogue? that's wild

Yeah, hers and Sylens.

Speaking of which, he's 40% of the reason I'm looking forward to the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqasya4QKHs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Imagine somebody gave Tony Robbins three hundred million dollars to make Dwarf Fortress in space and you've got most of the humor right there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mario 35 is tetris attack but mario

play it

Ok but I'm already occupied because

and I'm baring my soul here

I never played Mario 64

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I never played Mario 64

its cool

mario 64 was good. its the only 3d mario id go back and play because i remember playing the n64 for the first time ever in a Lechmere store after reading about it in Nintendo 64 back when it was called project reality and then nintendo ultra 64 (the arcade versions of cruisin usa still have it as a splash screen)

i got bored of sunshine like 2 hours in and never bothered with galaxy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I liked Sunshine but only got to spend a week with it on a rental, and missed the wii entirely so the 3d all stars bundle is like laser targeted at me. I'm about 5 hours into Galaxy and it's loving amazing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I liked Sunshine but only got to spend a week with it on a rental, and missed the wii entirely so the 3d all stars bundle is like laser targeted at me. I'm about 5 hours into Galaxy and it's loving amazing.

yeah its a sick package, my buddy is a massive 3d mario fan and is blasting through it

im waiting like hell on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uT3iT7BxA

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I never played Mario 64

Nobody in here has ever missing-game shamed me, so I think you're good

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Welp, after putting together the new computer I remembered that X4 is a thing, so, uh... I guess I'll see you guys next year. Let me know how everything turns out!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Naked Bear posted:

Welp, after putting together the new computer I remembered that X4 is a thing, so, uh... I guess I'll see you guys next year. Let me know how everything turns out!

I looked up what X4 was and, uhhh...

The thing came out in 2018, is still 49,99 for the base game, and how much for DLC?!?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I looked up what X4 was and, uhhh...

The thing came out in 2018, is still 49,99 for the base game, and how much for DLC?!?

Thats not just X4. X4 only has 1 dlc. That is a bundle that has like all the X games and there are a few of them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Freespace 2 is surprisingly playable with an Xbox game pad. If you import it into Steam as a non steam game you can still use the Steam controller overlay. Some dude made an ok one. I'm tweaking it to make roll more usable.

brains
May 12, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Freespace 2 is surprisingly playable with an Xbox game pad. If you import it into Steam as a non steam game you can still use the Steam controller overlay. Some dude made an ok one. I'm tweaking it to make roll more usable.

dang i still have the original 3 discs, i should reinstall it. that game blew me away *checks notes* 21 years ago :negative:

edit: i have to lol at the fact that in the year 2020, people are still playing freespace 2 and counter-strike

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I play AOE2 (1999) and C&C Generals Zero Hour (2003) more than anything else. :ninja:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've got an old install folder for SMAC that I just keep carting from computer to computer. One of the best games ever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's so good.

MIRIAM :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's so good.

She right, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

We must dissent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like how she is orders of magnitude more dangerous than the militaristic faction

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Arrath posted:

I've got an old install folder for SMAC that I just keep carting from computer to computer. One of the best games ever.

I assume SMAC is still in rights hell, seeing as that Civ:BE was dreadful, but it would be great to see it remade with modern Civ sensibilities.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have been CTP shamed but it is still the most fun I've ever had playing Civ.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I have Dune 2 on my phone right now, that's from '92 :rms:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDIG4RRcLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Post quotes from memory only

"He held his arm too stiffly, and so was thrown back repeatedly, until at last I seized his forearm and bent it back against itself. His training suffered while the arm healed, of course, but i felt this was a lesson he must learn early, and well.

Col Corazon Santiago

Doctrine: Flexibility