Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If anything I think we could use the crystals back. That way they can properly shape our history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

So, what DID happen with FF14? Like, I know the highlights (horribly unoptimized, kind of just unfun) but I just assumed the guy in charge was some lackwit one-hit-wonder for how infamous base FF14 is. Which doesn’t line up with him, you know, having a legacy unless it was mismanaged by Square as a whole (shocking, I know) and he was just the fall guy.

The documentary that noclip did is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This Warring Triad shouldn't be fighting among themselves, but instead, working for with us!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frankly, I think the legacy of the crystals could stand to shape our history for a bit longer.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The crystals have held the reins of history long enough imo

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I say : the crystals will make America great again!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Smashing the crystals would be the best thing to happen to the job market.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I would like to ask the crystals an extremely long and meandering question that's vaguely about employment, please?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Come out ye crystal man, come out and fight me like a man

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

personally I think it’s high time the reins of history were back in the hands of man

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF and other jRPG developers keep making games about immortal/old beings ruling the world with tradition and abusing the youth to fight their battles for them because that's basically Japanese politics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont really see anybody rebelling against the Japanese party setup given the LDP has basically been continuously in power since 1955, also 50% of japans population will be 50 or older in 2025.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bewilderment posted:

FF and other jRPG developers keep making games about immortal/old beings ruling the world with tradition and abusing the youth to fight their battles for them because that's basically Japanese politics.

Kudos to Persona 5 for innovating by just taking away the subtext and literally making 'fight the Prime Minister and his power structure' the text of their game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If only Persona 5 did anything other than a completely toothless "hey look isn't this bad, oh well".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Kudos to Persona 5 for innovating by just taking away the subtext and literally making 'fight the Prime Minister and his power structure' the text of their game.

It's more fight the fringe conservative party leader, and then kill the devil because he was behind society's issues anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's more fight the fringe conservative party leader, and then kill the devil because he was behind society's issues anyway.

I mean

The devil was explicitly the personification of people’s desires for somebody else to handle things

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sure, but that's still not really destroying the prime minister and his power structure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The main overriding message of Persona is "growing up means learning to conform and accept your predetermined place in society".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sure, but that's still not really destroying the prime minister and his power structure.

Doesn’t he resign and admit to all his wrongdoing? It’s just that nobody cares on account of anthropomorphic personification of apathy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He wasn't the Prime Minister yet, he was the challenger taking on the incumbent. Who is never shown or mentioned but who was implicitly doing just fine. The moral of the story being do not upset the status quo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Also, you do fight the party leader on the day when he's elected Prime Minister. I'm willing to count 'Prime Minister-Elect' as Prime Minister.

I'd argue that election day is literally the worst time you could pick to attack the Prime Minister(-Elect), but I don't know how exactly Japan votes, and also will never argue dramatics or the stupidity of dipshit teens.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The villain isn't even the prime minister he's a rising neo-con politician who split from the LDP to start his own crazier political party. The game acknowledges that this crazy right-wing politician sucks rear end and must be stopped but it avoids commenting on the actual existing political parties and power structures in Japan by having the villain unaffiliated with them.

I think he's a fine villain and all but I don't think Persona 5 is a particularly good example of a story that very directly confronts how existing power structures are bad actually.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never really bought that the slimy evil bald guy wearing gamer glasses was charismatic enough to get elected but i guess crazier things have happened in our hellworld

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I remember a bit where the party sees him campaigning around the city.

Ryuji calls him an rear end in a top hat and his response is to come over and threaten him.

In the middle of the city.

In the middle of a loving crowd.

They build him up as this unstoppable chessmaster, and he does dumb bullshit like this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't imagine how people could believe a high ranking politician could be playing 4D chess whilst also obviously being dumb as poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly for all the game's flaws (and it does have many), 'Shido is unrealistic' isn't one of them, we just wish it was.

Persona 5 takes place in 2016. The most unrealistic part of Shido is that he needed mind control science-magic to win an election that year.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Shido was also a reference to Noboru Wataya from The Windup Bird Chronicle, who was also a nationalist politician who rises to power by exploiting the Japanese national psyche and is also defeated by beating his psychic avatar to death in a collective unconscious dreamworld

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
More FF games should collab with Chrono Trigger/Cross

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

"Fire Crystal, it says here that if you are elected Primarch, you will, and I quote, 'Bring the heat', with a new skills program for Dual Wielding and X-Fight. How do you reply?"

*The crystal sheds its light silently...*

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bear in mind that it's not a far stretch to assume that rejecting the Occuria and their crystal gifts of fantasy nukes directly lead to the cataclysm in FF12's future and FFT's past that destroyed the highly advanced civilizations of Ivalice and paved the way for the rise of the messes found in FFT. The moral of the story being crystals are good actually and having a higher power hold mankind's hand because otherwise they just blow each other up with manufacted crystal nukes and kill all the magic races is a good thing.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

thetoughestbean posted:

I mean

The devil was explicitly the personification of people’s desires for somebody else to handle things

It's worth pointing out that the devil wasn't even the devil, and thinking he was misses the point. Yaldabaoth comes from Gnosticism, and is the Demiurge: the god that thinks it's God but isn't actually the supreme being and can only play at the real supreme being's perfection. The Demiurge is sometimes, but not always, assumed to the the God of Abraham; us suckers who worship the Demiurge are either being tricked by a malevolent deity or blind to the truth of reality that lays beyond it. So P5 is very much an "attack and dethrone god" story.

The party is more aligned with the devil, or Satan specifically, in this case.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

FF16’s crystals are a part of the world’s geography, which, yeah, shape the history of a world more than anything else. Does this mean Clive Shardbert Rosfield’s goal of revenge will culminate in catastrophic terraforming?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How do you stop the legacy of the crystals from shaping your history when the ground is crystals?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kill the Ground

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bow down overdweller

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

OH. My God.

Why didn't I come up with that for Ardbert

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DrakePegasus posted:

FF16’s crystals are a part of the world’s geography, which, yeah, shape the history of a world more than anything else. Does this mean Clive Shardbert Rosfield’s goal of revenge will culminate in catastrophic terraforming?

looking out my window at a mountain and thinking "i'm sick of that loving rock"

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We're going to use the crystals to put Bahamut back together and kick his rear end. Or whatever the drake in every mothercrystal name is supposed to be, but safe guess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Violet_Sky posted:

More FF games should collab with Chrono Trigger/Cross

How about anything new with the Chrono series? Anything at all? :(

Edit: get Xeen to make a 3D Chrono Trigger remake, complete with awful VAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nixon took us off the crystal standard because France was going to cash out a chunk of our reserves and, as any JRPG player knows, you have to hoard your magic and restoratives until the very final battle or else you'll run out of them like a short-sighted IDIOT.