Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Have the Flyers dressed Lehtera yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lightning, with Dan Girardi: 5-1-0, best record in the league.
Rangers, without Dan Girardi: 1-5-0, second last.

:thunk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Not yet, no.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Boo this man

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Not for a regular season game no.

I’m ok with this. Overall, they probably did the Schenn trade because they got Nolan Patrick, I don’t think Hextall does it otherwise. Schenn looks way better with the Blues this year anyway, so honestly a change of scenery might have been better for him. He’s fitting better with the Blues than the Flyers.

Also. Fire Hakstol.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In an unprecidented trade, the Flyers and Rangers announce they're swapping head coaches.

Nothing changes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna go against the grain a bit here and say I'm honestly not that surprised they aren't dressing Sanheim. He had some issues in preseason and I'd honestly almost rather he go back to the Phantoms to a bit to refine things and get more ice time. He'll be up in the regular rotation sooner or later by sheer force of attrition.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

iospace posted:

Lightning, with Dan Girardi: 5-1-0, best record in the league.
Rangers, without Dan Girardi: 1-5-0, second last.

:thunk:

hey dude maybe stop being a dick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think one can be forgiven for thinking that's just how you're supposed to be when discussing the Rangers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

max domi shaved his head. coyotes have the least amount of hair in the league

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hifi posted:

max domi shaved his head. coyotes have the least amount of hair in the league

Not the Ducks? They do have Getzlaf

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphrodite posted:

I think one can be forgiven for thinking that's just how you're supposed to be when discussing the Rangers.

no no, Rangers fans are supposed to be the dicks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aphrodite posted:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

hey dude maybe stop being a dick?

that person thinks that they are Trolling

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Haven't been able to get excited about the Flames this year, regardless of the good start. It's hard to support a team whose owners are using it to advance a political agenda I don't support.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/brian5or6/status/920313287165825024

Sens twitter is a very weird place right now, but hell if it's not one of the better parts of being a fan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, which player drew that logo?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

RAS got thin skin. Reminds me of another New Yorker

:sad:

I think firing AV would be reeeeal bad. I don't mind the rags offense on paper, but they're mostly a bunch of middle six guys. How AV puts his lines together and how he spreads the offense around + Hank is the only reason I see that this team has been even half decent in recent seasons. Haven't watched much of the Rags this year, so can't tell if they're playing well an not getting bounces or just bad. Either way, I'd at least give it 15-20 games before calling for his head.

Fake edit:

flakeloaf posted:

Sens twitter is a very weird place right now, but hell if it's not one of the better parts of being a fan.

Holy shirt, that's amazing.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

What I consistently learn from all of you is Fire Every Coach.

I'm quite enjoying Hynes myself.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

the otowa sennaterz

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

bub spank posted:

Through 5 games without Karlsson, Ottawa's managed to go 3-0-2, but they've done it with league-worst 42% even-strength possession.

I don't know if Boucher's "system" somehow leads to wins while they get caved in all night, or if last year (and the first 5 this year) are just weird luck, but I don't think I like it.

Following up on this, Justin Bourne just did a piece at the Athletic where his conclusion was basically that the Sens o-zone system sacrifices some possession for protection against odd-man rushes, by keeping their third forward high instead of covering the middle of the zone. Also that the much-maligned neutral zone 1-3–1 isn’t that different from, and has very little benefit compared to, the standard 2-2-1 run by almost every other team.

It’s pretty interesting, and can be found here: https://www.theathletic.com/129113/2017/10/16/bourne-senators-systems-protects-against-disaster-but-asks-too-much-of-forwards/

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
What offseason was it that we just started doing MS Paint logos in this thread? And MS Paint realignment charts? That was a fun time.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

SpacePig posted:

What offseason was it that we just started doing MS Paint logos in this thread? And MS Paint realignment charts? That was a fun time.

Wasn't it the 2013 offseason before Detroit moved to the east for the 13/14 season?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes goalie adin hill makes his rookie debut tonight, first of the 2015 goalie crop to do so. check out his pads in this picture

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hifi posted:

coyotes goalie adin hill makes his rookie debut tonight, first of the 2015 goalie crop to do so. check out his pads in this picture

How tall is he?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bub spank posted:

Following up on this, Justin Bourne just did a piece at the Athletic where his conclusion was basically that the Sens o-zone system sacrifices some possession for protection against odd-man rushes, by keeping their third forward high instead of covering the middle of the zone. Also that the much-maligned neutral zone 1-3–1 isn’t that different from, and has very little benefit compared to, the standard 2-2-1 run by almost every other team.

It’s pretty interesting, and can be found here: https://www.theathletic.com/129113/2017/10/16/bourne-senators-systems-protects-against-disaster-but-asks-too-much-of-forwards/

I enjoyed the first three paragraphs of that article immensely.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

How tall is he?

6'6

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

How tall is he?

he's only 6'4, 190lbs. That's gotta be a miniature net.

Ben bishop at 6'7, 225lbs doesn't even look that big in net.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
SHRINK THE GOALIE PADS

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

SHRINK THE GOALIE PADS

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Darren Pang posted:

SHRINK THE GOALIES

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that definitely looks like he's using Garth Snow's pads

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

flakeloaf posted:

I enjoyed the first three paragraphs of that article immensely.

I haven’t paid for an account, but if you download the app you can read 5 free articles a month. They usually don’t have too much interesting Sens stuff, so those 5 articles are usually enough for me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

hifi posted:

I always question that glove position in the net but I guess they're always going to RVH when the puck goes behind the net.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ElwoodCuse posted:

Imagine having the guts to try and do a stadium grift for Major League Soccer. The Columbus team is about to abandon the country's first large soccer-only stadium, the unofficial home of the national team and those amazing Mexico games, because the city won't build them a new stadium downtown.

[gently caress] Dan Gilbert is trying a stadium grift in Detroit to attract MLS expansion. Last I read, his proposal includes helping the county build a jail in return for some land for the stadium.

It's impressive to contribute to sport scams AND the prison industry/carceral state in one swoop.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 17, 2017

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JoelJoel posted:

I think firing AV would be reeeeal bad. I don't mind the rags offense on paper, but they're mostly a bunch of middle six guys. How AV puts his lines together and how he spreads the offense around + Hank is the only reason I see that this team has been even half decent in recent seasons. Haven't watched much of the Rags this year, so can't tell if they're playing well an not getting bounces or just bad. Either way, I'd at least give it 15-20 games before calling for his head.

this is a holdover from the latter part of last season, where the systems play was bad and the deployment was even worse. realistically, if something is going to happen, i'd say it probably takes that long anyway, but we've already seen what he does with his systems and deployment and i don't really see any reason to believe that it's going to improve suddenly. they are going to start scoring more because their shooting% has been abnormally low, but he's going to keep doing things like stapling pavel buchnevich to the 4th line at ~7 mins a night and putting nick holden on the top pair and PK. surely you don't believe that decisions like those (or the way that keith yandle was used when he was with the team, as a 3rd pairing d, for example) have somehow been beneficial to the rangers' performance.

i also don't think it's "being thin skinned" to be slightly frustrated when you make a fairly detailed argument about how poor systems and deployment are causing your team to underperform and are told in reply by people who are not responding to your points and haven't watched the team play (and seem somewhat incensed by your contention that the coaching is an issue) that Actually The Team Is Just Bad

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
in short, Actually We Are Not Mad And It's All Of You That Are Mad, Instead

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

To be fair the Yandle situation was a bit exaggerated. He still got more icetime overall than Staal for example, and he got the most PP time as well. He just probably didn't get as much of both of those as he should have.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Sharks and Habs have essentially the same record right now so surely this will be a close tightly played match that won't get out of hand for one side (Not the Habs) at all will it. This will be a good opportunity to see if the Habs are just bad or really loving bad and in contention for a high draft position to waste a high draft position on an over-sized defenseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, I don't pay a ton of attention to defensive systems (stars seem to have one rn and I'm not sure how to feel about it). Offensively, at least, av has seemed to get good results from a lineup without stars. IIRC he was pretty good about deploying the stars he had in van city, so he seems flexible- something I highly value in a coach (gotta play with what you got).

Guess all I'm trying to say is that av seems to know how to play to his teams' strengths and weaknesses so you should probably just let him get his PDO up before worrying too much.

• Locked thread