Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

Barring an emergency, new update tomorrow. I just gotta finish the terrible photoshops.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm starting to think that this game might be near, if not at, the very top for all single-player games in terms of content. I never realised how deep the postgame went, and this game is at Dragon Quest VII levels of huge.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

WORLD – Episode 21 - You Have Twenty Seconds To Comply

Welcome back gentlegoons. In our last update, we finished the last bits of CODA 4, smashed up the Dark Knights of Lodis something fierce, and witnessed one of the most genuine and heartfelt emotional moments in the entire game. It’s only fitting that we follow that up with random battles, right?

But before we do that, we're gonna have our own time travelling moment and quote thread regular Evil Fluffy who brings to light an excellent theory that I wish I had thought of about Abuna Prancet and him not being flusted by seeing time travelling Don Quixote.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jumping back to this post, I think the logic for it is pretty reasonable (especially by TO:LUCT standards):

1. Prancett sees Denim Don Quixote, Catiua, and Vyce running to them yelling about an unknown army invading at night.
2. They see/hear the battle taking place in town.
3. Prancett sees the approaching group and notices the two men and one woman leading it look familiar.
4. Immediately orders the kids inside because if his suspicions are correct he doesn't want them all to meet (and if he's wrong, he wants them to survive).
5. As soon as the group's close enough his belief that it's Denim Don Quixote and co is confirmed.
6. A holy man is going to be pretty open to accepting that divine intervention resulted in his older, battle-hardened son being present to save him from what was going to be an otherwise real bad fate.
7. Denim's Don Quixote reaction to seeing him pretty much immediately confirms any thoughts of "this version of my son lived through the 'no divine intervention' version of this invasion and subsequent effects."

Please note, there are a few additional scenes left that we haven’t shown off yet that occur after Don Quixote meets the vision of his father. I’ve saved those for later for artistic reasons. We will visit them, but I want to hold off on them until we beat CODA 4 again. Yes, that’s right, we’ve got to do CODA 4 again. From here on out, any spoilers in the updates are strictly for either comedic effect or attempts at comedic effect that fails horribly. You decide. :doink:

Where in the World is Don Quixote?

Right now, we are in the WORLD post game with all 4 CODAs completed. There’s a post-game dungeon left that we haven’t touched, some extremely hard to get artifacts and weapons left, and the 12 heavenly generals that show up when you have a Heaven’s Fork in your inventory, one of which Tithin has already touched on.
Without further ado, let’s get this San Bronsa train started.

“During the Great War, King Rodrick unleashed the power of the Apocrypha to vanquish an entire city, the remains of which float as an island among the clouds.”

To recap, years before the events of this game, King Rodrick and King Dorgalua were once allies and friends. They ended up becoming enemies, as people in these games seem to do, and they had themselves a great big ol’ war. Rodrick used the forbidden magics in desperation to win, and ended up basically nuking this entire are of the map. Now, we’re gonna go check it out, and stop others from looting it. Stay away, it’s our rare weapons and loot fuckers!

Why does the city float after being blown up? Does it really even matter at this point? Also, I don’t think it’s ever really explained, so if you know say something in the thread and I’ll update this part.

All things considered; San Bronsa is a joy to play through. That doesn’t mean it’s easy or that it doesn’t punch you in the groin repeatedly, but it has a beautiful tile set, the maps are varied and quite tough, and the bright colors are just a welcome change from the 115 floors of dark purple and drab colors of the Palace of the Dead. Heck, there’s even brand-new music for San Bronsa that doesn’t appear anywhere else called “Faraway Heights.”

https://youtu.be/24RydMn2OTc
And no, this isn’t me giving a subtle nod to Coffee Potato and his love for the One Vision mod made by a person using the handle Raics. And no, I’m not going to plug that Coffee Potato is also doing a One Man all titles run on his channel currently. Nope.

Tower of Law Eternal, here we come! :toot:

First map in, and San Bronsa shows you it means business. This is a massive map, with all sorts of terrain differences. Mobility is the name of the game in San Bronsa, if you do not have means to deal with changes in elevation, giant chasms, or otherwise inhospitable terrain, you’re gonna have an awful time. Expect half the enemies you face to fly, and another big chunk to be tough to kill beasts the entire way.

Might as well use some of the summons, and show off a few.

Yay! Our first bit of rare loot and we’re only one map in! This one is dropped by the Lamia Witch that’s directly under the letter “R” and on the grass in the middle map picture (elevation 9) The ensanguined root is what you need to turn a generic unit into a Divine Knight, which is really a pretty long and drawn out process. Don’t worry, we’ll go through it at a later update. Why do I insist on doing things that hurt me
Tower of Eternal Law 2 is a… shockingly small map. You are only allowed 3 units.

This seems like a fair party to bring to a fight.

Again, note the big changes in terrain, a fairly large area of the map taken up by a pit. What’s more impressive though, is that if you really pay attention here, you can see that there is a continuation from the door in the first map, up the winding stairway area here, and through the next door to the next map. I just really appreciate that little bit of attention to detail

I mean did you expect this battle to go any differently?

More loot!!! Musical Instruments 1 here drops from the familiar fairy that was floating over the door. You can make rare instruments that are… probably below the level you have the Songstress class at now unless you’ve been holding off you using Iuria. Yay??

Up, up, up we go!

Uh oh, you know what this means!! :frogsiren: Story battle! :frogsiren:

Throw a few fliers, in, and totally not all of our overpowered units, and… yep. This’ll work.

Someone else has beaten us here to loot the tower. We won’t stand for this!!!

As others in the thread have noted, Philaha is the God of Light, meaning we’re in the temple of light! Booyah! All 8 temples baby!

What’s that they’re lifting? Looks like an Ensanguined Root… A puff of smoke later and…

Yep, they’re angels or Divine Knights. Nope, this isn’t at all what we have to do, bring a skeleton here with and have them use an Ensanguined Root on this map. Not at all.

Wait, what? The Tigers of Burnham? What the what?

Look, our boy here is a war hero, but I think he took too many blows to the head in the war. No one said that he would finish out his days with an intelligence higher than an avocado.

Don’t mind if we do. But first, let’s take a look at Vephal before we introduce her to the sweet music of multiple flying units to the face.

She uhh… has quite the magic list. That’s quite intimidating.

And… dark magic too? Ummm… that’s cool and totally not creepy. I mean, Abyss II, hell, I don’t even know if I’ve ever even seen that cast in the game.

She’s Galgastani, she hates us, and she’s and incredibly powerful magic user. Yep, off to a great start here.

Not even a few months into ending the war and we’ve already got to deal with insurgents. Tsk, tsk.

I didn’t snag a good set of pictures of this map, but if Canopus flew here, and none of our other party members are in this shot, it should give you a great idea of how vertical this map is.

Again, you shouldn’t expect anything otherwise in these fights.

I had to screenshot this because I thought it was comical that she’s that powerful of a magic user, in charge of an entire group of insurgents, and all she can do is use a mend leaf.

Unless that Divine Power has been grinding levels and stats for the last couple hundred hours the answer would be: No. It’s not.

Yay! There are a few items you can get from this map and a level 4 fire spell, but you can’t get them on the story version of the map. So, we move on.

The whole San Bronsa tower isn’t designed like the first 3 stages to be one big climb, so from here on out it’s just cool maps presumably floating in the air because why not.

Why not, this seems like a cool party. Might as well see a few shots of my love for lizards and lamias.

And just to reemphasize, giving Deneb a cursed weapon is just completely broken.

She could probably solo half the maps from here on out if it I took over for the AI.

We’ll head up the left side here for no particular reason. I’m not even being coy here, it just happened.

This map can be a real slog if you don’t have characters with high mobility or high mobility items by this point. That golem and the other golems that can spawn will absolutely put a stop to any movement you have with rampart aura a lot.

Some of the difficulty of these maps come from how outnumbered you are. It’s not uncommon for the larger maps to have close to 20 enemy units for you to have to take out.

We’ll back track to level 5 now.

If you’re looking at this map and thinking boy, that’s a whole lot of pit areas to get thrown off of, you’re absolutely right. Those fairies and gremlins love hitting you with bow crits and pushing you off the map with shield hits.

Steadfast is your friend if you don’t have fliers from here on out. Lest you end up here like poor Ozma.

Because you end up getting stuck like this on the approach to take out the enemies. Luckily the distance between the two narrow areas are too far for enemy archers to shoot, or this map could have been a complete and utter nightmare.

Hey this again.

It’s almost a given that you will have some characters lose hearts doing San Bronsa. If you’re going for the all titles run, I personally wouldn’t attempt to scavenge skills and do San Bronsa all at once until you get the titles for beating the game with 1-10 incaps, and 10-20 incaps.

Time to fix this.

So before we murder all the units on this stage, I’d like to point out something very special about this one particular Lamia.

She has to spawn in this exact spot on this stage and be a Witch.

Look at her skills and… Divine Magic? Not only that, but it’s in one of the first 4 skill slots meaning if you recruit her, that skill stays no matter what. Witches and Warlocks can’t learn Divine Magic, but they can use the Divine Magic Skill and Divine Magic spells as seen here.

:goonsay: Waah, get to the point, why does this matter?
The only way to learn Divine Magic as a skill is through another class, usually cleric or knight. Lamias do not have access to either, nor do they any class that can actually learn Divine Magic. This is one of the few ways you can get a Lamia with the ability to use Divine magic. It has to be an intentional little Easter egg from the devs. So, if you’re into the really weird things, this is for you.

Other than that, lots of drops and tarot cards mean things go exactly how you guys think it does.

This map is so devilishly evil. I love it. See that gap directly in front of Deneb? You’d think you can just jump it with most characters. But you can’t, because not only is it a pit, the other side is at elevation 13. If you don’t have mobility characters, fliers, or tarot cards, your entire army can get stuck where they start without being able to do anything but slowly, very very slowly take down the enemies. In these cases, it’s better to just retreat or reload if you’re going for all titles.
While it may seem like a dick move, this is the devs preparing you for some of the more insane maps in the second half of San Bronsa.

And again, this just Deneb nuking a character before anyone else even has the chance to move. NBD really.

This may or may not be me forgetting that this map is devilishly evil. Canopus is most definitely dead and my useful units like my dragons and Lanselot are stuck and able to literally nothing for the entire map.

I’m not kidding, out of the 8 units I started the battle with, only 2 of them are able to actually do anything. I have brought shame upon our army and this LP by having to have to reload.

Having learned my lesson, it’s time to make sure that I have characters who can either nuke from afar, or ignore terrain. Let’s try this again.

And Iuria says this before she whacks the poo poo out of this skeleton with a guitar.

We haven’t really looked at Iuria a lot in this LP, but Songstress is a utility class that has some cool things going for it. However, the biggest knock against it is that Iuria can also become a Shaman, and having a flying shaman who can nuke enemies with stupidly powerful magic is almost always a better choice. But we don’t believe in good choices here, Thus me doing the postgame portion of this LP so Iuria is a Songstress for the entire rest of our LP.

Here she’s gonna stagger the poo poo out of a couple dragons for… reasons? And also it might be a *bit* broken when even Iuria has more hit points than a max level dragon.

Here’s she’s gonna makes sure that all of these dragons have misstep on them for again… reasons? The Resonant Score needed to learn this spell drops from an enemy further along in San Bronsa.

However, we can see that yet again, I haven’t planned very well and this gap is ruining our plans. This might be the toughest enemy our AI party of death has faced so far outside of Rodrick. Very much an ED-209 can’t handle stairs type of moment.

Luckily, the brother and sister combo bail me out of continued embarrassment.

:toot:

“Nothing to walk on, only sky. Falling from here means death, or permanent rest for the undead.”
Just in case you either wanted to really be scared of heights or don’t quite understand how many ways it is to die via falling thousands of feet into the ocean from the floating ruins of a destroyed city…
Despite the dramatic flavor text, this ends up being just like a pit in the Palace of the Dead or the elemental shrines. If you fall in, you lose a heart. Of course if it's your last heart and you fall in....
I’m not sure if Rukhs have been seen yet in our LP, so juuuuust in case.

That’s pretty metal. They’re way cooler than Basilisk and Cocatrices just based on their description, even if it is only a palette swap.

They can also use magic because why not. Though I didn’t think Lady Rhea was a bird, I’m pretty sure she w-

: Yeah I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t spoil a completely unrelated game in your LP.

Wait, you’re me? How are you even talking over me at this point?

: Just shut it and keep talking about this completely out of the way part of an excessively obscure game in a niche genre.

Well, I guess I told… myself? Anyways. Onto Level 10!

: Actually, you’ve talked enough this update. The people are getting restless. This is a good stopping point anyways. You’re closing in on 2000 words, wrap it up old man.
Well I guess I just told myself to shut up? Next update: More San Bronsa! More Sky Pits! A minor twist! Beating up old people! And what the gently caress is a Zephyrus?

waah fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 9, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So that map can permanently kill your units? Terrifying.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So that map can permanently kill your units? Terrifying.

It makes them lose a heart just like falling into a pit does. I'll clarify that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
waah, I think that you have a busted link:

quote:

[video type="youtu"]24RydMn2OTc[/video]

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The amount of stuff in this game is staggering. I wonder how many people actually did / know about half this stuff legitimately.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

waah, I think that you have a busted link:

Fixed, thank you

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The amount of stuff in this game is staggering. I wonder how many people actually did / know about half this stuff legitimately.

To be fair, the CODAs were DLC in Japan. The intent was that you'd beat the game at release, go through one or more of the timelines and get a high level party, and then a few months later when this DLC hit, you'd pick the game up and play through Episodes 1 and 2 and grind a bit in San Bronsa. Then, a couple weeks to months later, CODA 3 and 4 would be released as DLC and you'd pick the game up again to finish out the story.

Us Americans got lucky and got all of the DLCs included in the base game. But it also makes the game feel like the CODA is unattainable for people because the goal is there from the start.

It's about like Fire Emblem 3 Houses right now, how there's the three different campaigns, and they're all very different story wise. You beat maybe one or two of them, and then there's a drip of DLC to get you to pick the game up again for a bit. Then about a half a year after the release, a meaty sized DLC is released that players can play through.

The hardcore fans are already all set for the higher difficulty levels and finishing out the extra story even though it's a bit harder. Someone who picks up FE3H now for the first time might be a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff to do in game, even though you have a new game plus to help retain the sense of being powerful when you start over.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

First thing is, that random Witch with Divine Magic is wild. I had no idea! That's like the deepest cut of any skills scavenging aficionado.

Second,

this actually makes me want to use Iuria as a Songstress! :rock: :black101: :rock: :black101: :rock:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks for keeping this up and for pointing out the OV run, it sounds loving insane

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Also while I was here I have updated the table of contents with all of waah's stuff.

I really wanna show my appreciation for waah, dude's a loving champion whos name is going in the co-author field when this LP eventually makes its way to the archive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

waah posted:

AFAIK, it's not mentioned. You could take an angle that Abuna Prancett is a holy man and likely passed a detect divinity check or something like that. You could say that he would always know his son if you feel sentimental, and I wouldnt fault you. You could say that Don Quixote is just having a fever dream, or that he's meeting a Wicce or otherwise malevolent spirit, and I'd accept that, though i'd be sad. Don Q deserves a nice moment for himself.

My personal take on it is that the writers decided to not fall into the Lost trap in trying to explain everything and saved their just accept the hand waive moment for here. I feel the how isnt nearly as important as the impact that's made here. This is a series with necromancy, magic, literal angels and devils, dragons, demihumans, and time travel, and for the most part, they are all explained. This one moment of ambiguity feels earned.

Jumping back to this post, I think the logic for it is pretty reasonable (especially by TO:LUCT standards):

1. Prancett sees Denim, Catiua, and Vyce running to them yelling about an unknown army invading at night.
3. Prancett sees the approaching group and notices the two men and one woman leading it look familiar.
4. Immediately orders the kids inside because if his suspicions are correct he doesn't want them all to meet (and if he's wrong, he wants them to survive).
5. As soon as the group's close enough his belief that it's Denim and co is confirmed.
6. A holy man is going to be pretty open to accepting that divine intervention resulted in his older, battle-hardened son being present to save him from what was going to be an otherwise real bad fate.
7. Denim's reaction to seeing him pretty much immediately confirms any thoughts of "this version of my son lived through the 'no divine intervention' version of this invasion and subsequent effects."

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Bregor posted:

this actually makes me want to use Iuria as a Songstress! :rock: :black101: :rock: :black101: :rock:

First you have no idea how happy this makes me that at least one person likes this. The one thing this LP has done was make me learn to adjust character portraits for photoshops. There's a decent amount of freehand work on the left hand side, especially in Iuria's hair there to make this terrible Photoshop work.

Evil Fluffy posted:

1. Prancett sees Denim, Catiua, and Vyce running to them yelling about an unknown army invading at night.
5. As soon as the group's close enough his belief that it's Denim and co is confirmed.
7. Denim's reaction to seeing him pretty much immediately confirms any thoughts of "this version of my son lived through the 'no divine intervention' version of this invasion and subsequent effects."

I'd definitely buy this. I like this explaination a lot and I wish I had put it in that update.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Philaha/Filaha/Filarrh is not the god of light.

He's the god of the Sun, and presumed creator god. This temple is probably the temple of Ishtar, goddess of light.

The difference between Lodis and everyone else is that Lodis thinks Philaha is the only god.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2020

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

waah posted:

First you have no idea how happy this makes me that at least one person likes this. The one thing this LP has done was make me learn to adjust character portraits for photoshops. There's a decent amount of freehand work on the left hand side, especially in Iuria's hair there to make this terrible Photoshop work.

I'd definitely buy this. I like this explaination a lot and I wish I had put it in that update.

You still can! Go back and edit it in!

I'm wondering: how many battles have we been in at this point? (Game battles, not actual war battles.) I figure FFTA2 was ~300, FFTA was less than that, maybe ~200 at most? No idea about the original FFT though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

He's the god of the Sun, and presumed creator god. This temple is probably the temple of Ishtar, goddess of light.

The difference between Lodis and everyone else is that Lodis thinks Philaha is the only god.

Man I love OB lore. Why can’t we have more games?! :smith:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Solumin posted:

I'm wondering: how many battles have we been in at this point? (Game battles, not actual war battles.) I figure FFTA2 was ~300, FFTA was less than that, maybe ~200 at most? No idea about the original FFT though.

Counting all the side quests and a modicum of grinding, I'd say original FFT is around ~100, maybe a little less.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I own this game, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just emulate it anyway for the QOL patches that are available. Crafting was a pain, as was loyalty management, and I'd love to just be able to get rid of those issues if I were to go back and repay it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bregor posted:

Man I love OB lore. Why can’t we have more games?! :smith:

If we got a new OB game at this point it'd probably be some F2P gacha thing too. :sigh:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solumin posted:

About 100 story battles before coda including random and maybe 250 plus postgame to date, I'd estimate

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

I plan on it when I get back to a desktop computer next week.

Actual matters to get to where we are? My estimate for shortest possible route and including most of the major characters, but no liches and divine knights is as follows (without excessive grinding)

Main Campaign (Chaos):. About 60-80 battles, includes some phormpa Wildwood grinding to catch up a few classes a few random battles etc.

Ch4 sidequests (not PotD): 45-60 for all shrines/azlestan/searching for enchiridions for crafting

Secondary Campaign (Law): About 45-55 battles due to some shortcuts and not needing to redo all of chapter 1 due to anchor points. But law has lots of extra fights for recruting characters.

PotD: About 86 fights minimum

Coda 1: 8-12 battles

Coda 2 (as long as you planned it right to be able to use Palace Guides):About 25-30 battles - you still have to fight from floor 75 to floor 115.

Coda 3 - 2 Battles

Coda 4: 4 Battles

San Bronsa (to where we currently are): 6-9 Battles

Add: About 40sh battles at an absolute minimum to get Deneb without cheating, and this assumes you were maximizing the amount of glass pumpkins you could get during PoTD runs and recruiting dragons often during the campaign.

That puts you at around 325 - 380 battles at an absolute minimum, and that's only if you are willing to completely avoid the Neutral route, know exactly what you are doing, and don't grind to bring certain character classes up to speed or for semi-rare monster materials or non-unique weapon drops.

I think when I completed all of the content to get the titles for beating San Bronsa and Coda 4 without retreating or using Chariot for the first time, I was north of 700 battles.

Tallgeese posted:

I appreciate the lore you've brought to the thread. You are right that Ishtar was the Goddess of Light in the original version. I don't know if her name is ever mentioned in the PSP remake though. All of the other Goddesses and Gods are mentioned in game except Ishtar.

I'll look through the flavor text for all the rare light augmented weapons this weekend.

Edit: JFC according to the gamescript on NeoSeeker, Ishtar is mentioned in chapter 4, but only in Chaos, and only if you have managed to recruit all 3 sisters before Hagia Banhambia and they say that place is the shrine to Ishtar allegedly. Looks like time to do some research.

waah fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 16, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Watching the OV run waah mentioned before, it looks a lot harder than base, melee looks like it hits a lot harder and more reliably - I'm not sure why enemies sometimes get a second damage source when you get melee'd now?. IE you get hit once, and then a second later, you get hit for a slightly higher amount than the base hit, similar to an instill in vanilla.

I think I'd need to actually look up what all these debuffs do now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ace Transmuter posted:

I own this game, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just emulate it anyway for the QOL patches that are available. Crafting was a pain, as was loyalty management, and I'd love to just be able to get rid of those issues if I were to go back and repay it

I would myself, and I think that you should too. I have the game, a functional PSP and even the huge strategy guide, but as much as I love this game I would never play it again on native hardware - that's not just because of ergonomics or the PSP's tiny screen. It's fine enough if one is just doing story path(s), but anything post game is just too much grind/reliance on random number fuckery.

I keep waiting for One Vision to be finally "done" (by which I mean feature complete - it just had an update this past Tuesday) so I haven't played it yet but would really like to hear more from people who have. I feel sorry for this game sometimes because for all its faults it is truly a legendary game in the vein of FFT, but it doesn't have the same name recognition and it come out on a system that didn't get over very well outside of Japan.

Edit: Fixed total incoherency

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There being a light god *and* a sun god seems a little strange.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

JustJeff88 posted:

I would myself, and I think that you should too. I have the game, a functional PSP and even the huge strategy guide, but as much as I love this game I would never play it again on native hardware - that's not just because of ergonomics or the PSP's tiny screen. It's fine enough if one is just doing story path(s), but anything post game is just too much grind/reliance on random number fuckery.

I keep waiting for One Vision to be finally "done" (by which I mean feature complete - it just had an update this past Tuesday) so I haven't played it yet but would really like to hear more from people who have. I feel sorry for this game sometimes because for all its faults it is truly a legendary game in the vein of FFT, but it doesn't have the same name recognition and it come out on a system that didn't get over very well outside of Japan.

Edit: Fixed total incoherency

So my biggest problem is my laptop is horrible and my PSP is my main emulator, so I'm not sure what I can do even if I download an eboot rather than use my physical copy

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
The Tigers of Burnham are the guys who assassinate Denham if Catiua died and you become Lord but didn't get everyone to like you statwise.

I have a theory that the Tower of San Bronsa USED to be the Temple of Light. But it broke from getting hit by the uber-magic from the war. We'll see the Light Guardian later elsewhere.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 18, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Aside from this dungeon being another completely new thing for this version, Vepahl here was just another minor boss in the Palace of the Dead in the original version, who dropped a bitchin light spell that attacked all your targets. Angel KnightsDivine Knights were also female only in the original too. Though males didn't first get on board with this version, that was before with the GBA game Knight of Lodis.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Andyzero posted:

The Tigers of Burnham are the guys who assassinate Denham if Catiua died and you become Lord but didn't get everyone to like you statwise.

I think this was the only ending my friend and I managed to get way back on the PSX version. We weren't expecting, and I may be misremembering, some rear end in a top hat mercing us from across the hall with a gun during our coronation.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

waah posted:

I appreciate the lore you've brought to the thread. You are right that Ishtar was the Goddess of Light in the original version. I don't know if her name is ever mentioned in the PSP remake though. All of the other Goddesses and Gods are mentioned in game except Ishtar.

I'll look through the flavor text for all the rare light augmented weapons this weekend.

Edit: JFC according to the gamescript on NeoSeeker, Ishtar is mentioned in chapter 4, but only in Chaos, and only if you have managed to recruit all 3 sisters before Hagia Banhambia and they say that place is the shrine to Ishtar allegedly. Looks like time to do some research.

You are absolutely correct; I completely forgot about Hagia Banhamuba. That is indeed Ishtar's temple, ergo it is the Temple of Light.

Thinking about it again, it is honestly not clear what San Bronsa is. My suspicion is that it's just an analogue to the Tower of Babel.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

There being a light god *and* a sun god seems a little strange.

Well, Philaha is the father of the six elemental goddeses: Water Goddess Greuza, Fire Goddess Xoshonell, Air Goddess Hahnela, Earth Goddess Vaasa, Ice Goddess Lyuneram, Lightning Goddess Nestharot. We know Philaha actually exists solely because of a single line in SNES Tactics Ogre from the first four: "May you be blessed by our father."

The god of darkness/Bane is Ashmedai, and the goddess of light/Virtue is Ishtar.

As you can see, there's a separate goddess for water and ice, so it's not too much of a stretch to see there's a light goddess and a chief sun god.

That said, I screwed up: I forgot that Philaha is only the sun god in Ogre Battle 64, which is non-canon. Here he's just the Great Father, the chief god.

To salvage my point, however, there's a second sun god in this game, Huitzilopochtli. The sole item that mentions him is also associated with light. It's just a thing in these games that there's many gods and they are pretty close to overlapping with other gods.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think this was the only ending my friend and I managed to get way back on the PSX version. We weren't expecting, and I may be misremembering, some rear end in a top hat mercing us from across the hall with a gun during our coronation.

You know it's non-canon since the assassin in that one is a knight who by design can't use guns.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tallgeese posted:

That said, I screwed up: I forgot that Philaha is only the sun god in Ogre Battle 64, which is non-canon. Here he's just the Great Father, the chief god.

To salvage my point, however, there's a second sun god in this game, Huitzilopochtli. The sole item that mentions him is also associated with light. It's just a thing in these games that there's many gods and they are pretty close to overlapping with other gods.

This post brought to you by my inventory and Yoshiyukiblade's Comprehensive Item Guide 0.94 which I used to fill in the gaps for what I don't have... yet.

Edit - This post ballooned way larger than I though, so I'll refine it and roll it into a future update with pictures and stuff. But for now, to add to conversation:

Basically if the devs though it would be cool, but couldn't go into the actual story, they threw it in a weapon which leads to some really interesting stories if you take the time to dive in. There's a weapon drop on one of the PotD floors exclusive to CODA 2 called Huitzilopochtli's Ray. It's a fist weapon and the flavor text reads: "A legendary fist weapon said to be a gift from Huitzilopochtli, God of Sun and Harvest"

However, there are multiple references to Aztec/Mayan gods in this game, as well as dieties of multiple other religions, especially Buddhist/Shinto gods.

Buddhism/Shinto/Hinduism
Vainateya's Talons - The patron saint of the post game LP is Vainateya, who gives us the weapon Vainateya's Talons. Acording to Hindu mythology, Vainateya is one of many names (and spellings) for Garuda, the flying bird/mount of the gods.

Aztec/Mayan
Xolotl's Canine - A couple examples of Aztec god influence, the shrine guardian of the lightning shrine is Xolotl, whose in game description lists him as an avatar for Nestharot, goddess of lighting. Xolotl drops a non-unique blade called Xolotl's canine and the flavor test reads "A weapon guarded by stormbeast Xolotl. The ancient blade now harbors his defeated soul." :black101:

Nordic
Fafnir - "A wicked sword plucked from the the heart of Fafnir the darkwyrm." - This is part of the Volsunga saga/epic poem from Norse mythology in which a man named Fafnir kills his father, and then is turned into an evil dragon. Sigurd uses the sword Balmung which is incidentally a weapon weilded by Volaq to kill Fafnir. This all ties into --

Brynhildr/Brunhild - "A sword that bridges the heavens and the abyss. This divine blade is said to have the power to sunder any seal" - And yes, Brynhildr is based on a badass woman who was hailed as "Queen of the sea" and may actually be the basis for the character of Valkyrie in Marvel Comics. To vastly simplify it, she promised to only marry a man who knew no fear, and to get with Brunhildr, you had to ride through a wall of flames. The guy, Gunnar, who wanted to marry her, couldn't bring himself to do so, so he traded placed bodies with Sigurd (the guy who crawled through pools of dragon's blood in a ditch to murder a dragon) so that he could then ride the flames for Gunnar. Sigurd then married Brunhildr, refused to consumate the marriage by placing a sword between the two instead of having middle ages scanadavian sex, and peaced out. Gunnar and Sigurd then they body swapped at some point afterwards. Eventually Brunhildr finds out, is *pissed* because Sigurd was hers drat it, and convinces Gunnar that Sigurd has to die for lying to her. Gunnar hires a hitman, who succeeds, but ends up dying in the process. Brynhildr finds out that Sigurd is dead, laughs about it, and then kills herself, while giving the top five longest deathbed speeches and prophecies known to man.

If you're going Occam's razor, and have played enough JRPGs, you're probably all :stonk: right now because you are coming to the realization when you put together that Brunhildr is a woman and that only the sword Brunhildr can open the chaos gates in game and :tentacles: Oh god turn left Tactics Ogre! TURN LEFT!!!!

But it's more tasteful than that, after dying, Brunhildr goes through the underworld to be with the one man who she loved who never deceived her, well you know, deceived her intentionally. So she asked the gates of the underworld be left open so that she could go after Sigurd. On her way, she explains how even though she's hated by a metric gently caress ton of people, she's lived a life of woe, amongst other things being forced to marry an old dude at age 12 :barf:

Christianity
Longicolnis - This is one is from Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (KoL) which still has a few plot secrets in this game that we haven't explored yet. The holy spear Longicolnis is the spear needed to break the seal of the fallen angel/last boss of KoL. You know, the fallen angel who just wanted God to love him as much as he loved man? And wouldn't you know that Longinus was the name of the roman soldier turned future Catholic saint who used his spear to pierce Jesus's side while he was being crucified? Are you guys seeing yet why Knight of Lodis is so loving good with it's take on "I'm going to take down God?"

waah fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 20, 2020

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
imagine an ogre battle game with the mythology of glorantha

speaking of which tithin can you please tell Inf to finish his LP

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Current affairs have thrown me off a bit more than usual. Work from home means I don't have access to a copy of windows 10 and paint 3d which has been crucial for the terrible Photoshop portion of this thing. Stand Pat, I've had San Bronsa pt 2 mostly written for a while.

In completely unrelated news, if you are a tactical RPG fan and a sports fan, the mobile app Hoop League is Ana amazing crossup of tactical JRPG and basketball. Sounds weird as poo poo, works amazingly.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Nybeth made the ‘Roni

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Current affairs have thrown me off a bit more than usual. Work from home means I don't have access to a copy of windows 10 and paint 3d which has been crucial for the terrible Photoshop portion of this thing. Stand Pat, I've had San Bronsa pt 2 mostly written for a while.

In completely unrelated news, if you are a tactical RPG fan and a sports fan, the mobile app Hoop League is Ana amazing crossup of tactical JRPG and basketball. Sounds weird as poo poo, works amazingly.

Paid, F2p or p2w?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Talking about mobile TRPGs, I've started playing FFT, finally! Currently grinding a little for the slums mission and trying to figure out which jobs I want and how to get them.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

Paid, F2p or p2w?

Paid single player. It's like $2 for the whole game.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Last minute refresh to stop from falling into archives. We got an update coming within the next week.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is always exciting to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

Last minute refresh to stop from falling into archives. We got an update coming within the next week.

:yeshaha: