Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you're in the area and interested in the car, move quick because he's got someone in Germany interested in buying it.

This is actually a thing. When they were made, most of them were exported to the US. There's arguably more demand for them now in Germany than there ever was here so they tend to get bought up just based on lovely CL photos for drat near asking price if someone over there looks at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Along with Opels, I like 80's and 90's Toyota trucks way too much. The problem is, I live in Wisconsin and they are all clapped out rusty pieces of poo poo. This came up in a Craigslist close to me:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4710443389.html

It's near Green Bay, but is advertised in the MSP cl. Currently it is at the shop, so I called the shop owner and talked to him directly. Apparently the motor was rebuilt about 2 years ago, and was sold to it's current owner a couple months ago. The current owner blew the head gasket (reasons unknown, PO said "maybe low coolant?"). The head is still on but is overheating and leaking coolant, so no driving it back the ~180 miles to here. The cost of a head gasket replacement would be more than the cost of a new motor, so no point in having the shop do the work. The shop owner did say it was in incredible shape for its age with no rust. I think $2500 is too much, but again, this is Wisconsin.

My only option is to ship/tow it over or keep looking. The body isn't really important for me, but it must have a solid frame. I am getting to the point that flying to Arizona and driving something back is looking pretty good. Mostly I'm just looking for a good winter 4x4 of any brand to keep the miles and salt off my CR-V, so suggestions in my area (Northwest Wisconsin) are appreciated.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Gorson posted:

Along with Opels, I like 80's and 90's Toyota trucks way too much. The problem is, I live in Wisconsin and they are all clapped out rusty pieces of poo poo. This came up in a Craigslist close to me:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4710443389.html

It's near Green Bay, but is advertised in the MSP cl. Currently it is at the shop, so I called the shop owner and talked to him directly. Apparently the motor was rebuilt about 2 years ago, and was sold to it's current owner a couple months ago. The current owner blew the head gasket (reasons unknown, PO said "maybe low coolant?"). The head is still on but is overheating and leaking coolant, so no driving it back the ~180 miles to here. The cost of a head gasket replacement would be more than the cost of a new motor, so no point in having the shop do the work. The shop owner did say it was in incredible shape for its age with no rust. I think $2500 is too much, but again, this is Wisconsin.

My only option is to ship/tow it over or keep looking. The body isn't really important for me, but it must have a solid frame. I am getting to the point that flying to Arizona and driving something back is looking pretty good. Mostly I'm just looking for a good winter 4x4 of any brand to keep the miles and salt off my CR-V, so suggestions in my area (Northwest Wisconsin) are appreciated.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/4704346691.html

Or one of the countless others you can probably find closer to home.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

So for those ads where the only contact method is the #######@sale.craigslist.org email, does that forward to the seller's actual email or do they have to be looking at the site itself to check it? The reason I'm asking is every time I've had to use those addresses to contact a seller I never get a response.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

So for those ads where the only contact method is the #######@sale.craigslist.org email, does that forward to the seller's actual email or do they have to be looking at the site itself to check it? The reason I'm asking is every time I've had to use those addresses to contact a seller I never get a response.

It's just a forwarding address. That's happened a lot to me too recently, but I think it's just sellers being fickle shitheads rather than the technology not working.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SperginMcBadposter posted:

It forwards it. Keeps email addresses anonymous during correspondence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It forwards it, but often that winds up in the seller's spam filter and they have no idea how to check their spam filter or even that it exists.

I like to imagine all the millions of idiot craigslisters wondering why nobody ever wants to buy their poo poo.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is actually a thing. When they were made, most of them were exported to the US. There's arguably more demand for them now in Germany than there ever was here so they tend to get bought up just based on lovely CL photos for drat near asking price if someone over there looks at it.

Its actually a thing for a lot of cars. When I sold my 560sl a few weeks ago the German that almost got it was on a trip to the US to buy American muscle and older Mercedes. He had already purchased a 56 chevy as well as a 66 coupe and 72 Fastback Mustang.
His job is basically to come over every-other month and travel around the Southwest buying up cars. There is a huge demand for classic Porsche (which he doesn't bother with since the bubble) and Mercedes as the local ones have all rusted away.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4714748492.html

looks like a great deal guys

:smuggo:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4713534352.html

Featuring a picture so nice, she (looks like a she in the reflection) used it thrice! Even more than that, really, since there was a second instance of the same ad with the same pictures but different ones duplicated. The title on the other ad was just "$2500", and no mention of the car model at all. Instead of "excellent" condition, it was "like new", you know, except for where it sideswiped a guardrail or whatever and got hosed up, totally like new other than that. I wish I'd gotten a screencap before it got flagged.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't get someone who knew something, ANYTHING about cars to help make an ad, when you're this obviously ignorant about the subject. Or at the very least, maybe don't use a phone to make your ad? I could see the duped pictures/ads and messed-up information coming from someone phoneposting and not going back to check that they actually made something coherent. It would still be stupid, of course, but hey.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 15, 2014

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gorson posted:

I like 80's and 90's Toyota trucks way too much. The problem is, I live in Wisconsin and they are all clapped out rusty pieces of poo poo.

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/4672437395.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Help, my wife loves C3 Corvettes.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4705444181.html

Looks nice, not sure about the whole rebuild title thing. If he's owned it since 1996, I'd hope the owner is one of those Corvette Guys who spend more time waxing it than they do driving... pretty nicely-written ad in any case.

There was also a 1980 for $6800 she showed me yesterday, awesome yellow color but unfortunately the ad has expired.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
C3

Rust is your enemy (frame, fuel line, brake lines etc., also repaints are you enemy (Repaint are very expensive and often corner are cut). On a plus side it might be able to beat your old studie in a race, maybe.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're looking at Stingrays without chrome bumpers then I don't know what to say.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fucknag posted:

If you're looking at Stingrays without chrome bumpers then I don't know what to say.

The chrome ones are better but the later models are available.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disco-Vettes are awful. They're unreliable, complex, not the easiest to work on, suck fuel like a Thai prostitute with a CVBG in town, but at least they're also slow as dog poo poo!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1985-ford-tempo-diesel/1025558015?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The price.
The deterioration from sitting.
The naturally aspirated 2 liter diesel engine churning out 60 massive horsepower.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I still want a C3 vette for the strangest reasons. But I am in the same boat as others, the ones that are for sale are usually in the worst shape, and the ones that are in good shape are outrageous sums of money.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still want a C3 vette for the strangest reasons. But I am in the same boat as others, the ones that are for sale are usually in the worst shape, and the ones that are in good shape are outrageous sums of money.

I only want a ratty one so I can put a 500HP L92 into it and go trollin'. But there are plenty other cars I'd rather have first, so that will probably never happen.

E: '75, for two reasons: Slowest 'Vette in history, and last year of being smog exempt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I want a ratty one to put a 6.2/6.5 detroit in.

35mpg? yup.

Hate from the diesel crowd and the vette crowd? Yup.

making a 70s vette faster with a 80s NA diesel? Yup.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I know that's the easy way, but I wonder if a duramax would fit. Probably not.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

It might, they're pretty small as far as 6+ liter diesels go.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

It should, but the Dmax is a ton heavier, and a fair bit wider from what I remember.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We saw a Z3 for sale today, just parked by the side of the road like craigslist wasn't a thing:

According to the sign in the window, it's a 1997 with a 1.9L engine and 125,000 miles. New top, tires, brakes, and battery. Second owner. Asking price, $6700, "firm".

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

No man, you just take, like, a wrench, and then you tune that car up. Tune it right the gently caress up. Maybe install some power bands, like on a motorcycle.

This post is so awesome haha.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This seems like a (negotiably) good opportunity, considering the MTs are rare as hens teeth:

I'm meh on Infiniti's styling but like the VQ, and hey, it's a reasonably well-performing RWD luxury sedan.

Too bad I don't have a reason to own something like this right now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

According to the sign in the window, it's a 1997 with a 1.9L engine and 125,000 miles. New top, tires, brakes, and battery. Second owner. Asking price, $6700, "firm".

The 1.9 is a dog in this car. I'd really only buy one with the 6 banger. Also price seems a little steep.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Isn't the 1.9 a Chrysler-originated engine anyway? I've heard that but I'm not sure if it was in reference to the Z3 or some other BMW.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't the 1.9 a Chrysler-originated engine anyway? I've heard that but I'm not sure if it was in reference to the Z3 or some other BMW.

The 1.9 is the M44, which is based on the M42.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

We saw a Z3 for sale today, just parked by the side of the road like craigslist wasn't a thing:

Price is ridiculous, for that much you could get a very nice low mileage NB Miata that would be better in every way.

But BMW ROADSTER I suppose.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Price is ridiculous, for that much you could get a very nice low mileage NB Miata that would be better in every way.

But BMW ROADSTER I suppose.

It looked pretty nice (no rust, nice interior, new top) but with the Little Engine That Couldn't, I'm not planning to call the owner.

I'd be down for a Miata but my wife doesn't like them. I even told her how the headlights go up, headlights go down, but she wasn't buying it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 1.6 they used in the mini was what you were thinking of. It was based of the Neon 2.0.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4712504874.html

It's apparently a 350z for 6800.

What the gently caress is wrong with it.

There HAS to be something wrong with it. HAS to be.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4712504874.html

It's apparently a 350z for 6800.

What the gently caress is wrong with it.

There HAS to be something wrong with it. HAS to be.

it's got 110k miles and a rebuilt title

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

I..........

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4672952198.html

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

rscott posted:

it's got 110k miles and a rebuilt title

And gross chrome trim around the random colored body panels, and probably tons of other stuff wrong with it. $6800 is probably asking a lot for that car honestly.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I may go take a look at this goofy wagon someone pointed out in here a while back: http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/4651359256.html

He says he would sell it for $2200 on stock wheels

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

Frankenfatty

Seriously, $3500 would have been a gift from god for that thing.

CorelDRAW McGraw
Oct 12, 2014

I have never seen a neon sign built into an automobile before.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4677384952.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

It's a Houston thing.