Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I also don’t have an issue per se with rhel, but the old rear end packages, combined with having to decipher if x is ported back to the old rear end kernel make it have more friction then I want. Otherwise I really don’t care about base OS, like right now my servers are all running a derivative of chromium and managed as pets by kubernetes. Running on cents/rhel would be a lot more frustrating.

My real root issues are that places that run rhel tend to be really backwards places with ideas that the industry is moving past that don’t have skills so they think their red hat contract will cover them, or windows places with a token Linux box that only knows the world of support contracts. Its a bad omen to see it really, because it tells me I am in for a bad time.

Also red hats kubernetes poo poo is so wonky and deviates so far from what everyone else is doing that I don’t know what the hell they are thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Does anyone know when Nvidia plans on releasing drivers that aren't horrible garbage that make me want to kill myself?

Asking for ten to twenty thousand friends.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope. submit to radeon (if you can find one lol bitcoin)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Without cuda, how do the devout worship the ai godhead?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

Does anyone know when Nvidia plans on releasing drivers that aren't horrible garbage that make me want to kill myself?

ten people dont use linux

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

was excited to find out at work yesterday that nvidia's linux driver still comes as a binary blob that asks you to close X before it will install, same as it did last time i installed linux on the desktop in 2012

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

turned out it'd already been installed for me, so i didn't see whether standard procedure was still to go through the whole thing twice before anything would work

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mrmcd posted:

Without cuda, how do the devout worship the ai godhead?

if you got an intel graphics in your system and can use hybrid graphics mode then you can install the nvidia drivers without the gl hooks and use the nvidia card for cuda poo poo and leave graphics poo poo to the intel thing

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I just put a second monitor on and this is very annoying. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1513160

Also Wayland crashed AND I COULD HAVE LOST ALL MY TABS.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mrmcd posted:

If you use linux you pretty much gave up on video games. You made your life choices. Live with them.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

If you use linux you pretty much gave up on life

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

they're working fine for me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thebigcow posted:

I just put a second monitor on and this is very annoying. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1513160

Also Wayland crashed AND I COULD HAVE LOST ALL MY TABS.

my tabs! :cry:

also I agree that wayland is poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

good news for btrfs fans, libbtrfsutil

https://mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg72924.html

lgpl licensed library in c with python bindings for doing btrfs stuff, so you don't have to parse /usr/sbin/btrfs output anymore

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and wayland will eventually work fine

still hope that the pipewire dudes will come to their senses and integrate their stuff with pulseaudio properly instead of reinventing the wheel for the 20th time, but since this is open source i guess that'll never happen

(if i'm right then pipewire is a doomed project. pulseaudio actually works now and all new things has been written with it in mind for quite a while now)

(and yes, i see the irony by mentioning wayland in the same post, but they at least try to make all the X stuff work through Xwayland)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

to further the white noise posting about btrfs that noone cares about, there's more raid56 fixes coming for 4.16: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1801.3/03875.html

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ah butterFS, the filesystem of choice for pancake eaters

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just connected the dots that tmux has 24 bit color support so the rest of my terminal should too

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
anybody up in this sliz ever use runit (or busybox's sv/runsv)? I wanna know what works good and what doesn't

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958400410020085760
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958400456400744448
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958402778547793920
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958402968528805888
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958404479774314498
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958405930542141440
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958406013249638401
https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/958407562499624962

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

retard

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol Devuan is a systemd-less Debian fork made by the Veteran Unix Administrators.

That tells you all you need to know.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

spankmeister posted:

Veteran Unix Administrators.

Could have shortened that even more tbh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
shameful, “unix” veterans not even running a real unix

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

shameful, “unix” veterans not even running a real unix

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Lol Devuan is a systemd-less Debian fork made by the Veteran Unix Administrators.

That tells you all you need to know.

deVUAn :eyepop:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Poopernickel posted:

anybody up in this sliz ever use runit (or busybox's sv/runsv)? I wanna know what works good and what doesn't

that’s one of those wrapper scripts that just makes sure a service is running right?

just use the normal service thing like launchd/smf/systemd to run your poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol that whole stunt was just some jab at systemd

what an idiot

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Poopernickel posted:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that’s one of those wrapper scripts that just makes sure a service is running right?

just use the normal service thing like launchd/smf/systemd to run your poo poo

no, it's a standalone service manager (and a tiny init system) based on daemontools - more like a replacement for systemd that does a lot less stuff

Systemd is totally fine and maybe even good on the desktop, but it sucks poo poo balls for use on a cheap ARMv7 running a Yocto build. Plus my coworkers are crusty graybeards who think sysvinit is fine and just dump everything into a single rcS script attached to a single runlevel

I'm thinking of pitching the 'service manager' concept for our next major product, and runit seemed like it might be greybeard-approvable. But I wanted to figure out what would be in store for me

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 31, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

Systemd is totally fine and maybe even good on the desktop, but it sucks poo poo balls for use on a cheap ARMv7 running a Yocto build. Plus my coworkers are crusty graybeards who think sysvinit is fine and just dump everything into a single rcS script attached to a single runlevel

yocto supports systemd. there is nothing special about your armv7 that makes it a bad target for systemd

the problem is you and your coworkers, not systemd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
all of the other smug greybeards who hate systemd are wrong, but my project is special because it runs on like a 100 MHz ARM chip with tens of megabytes of ram

it's embedded, you see

bash scripts are just more efficient, they're close to the metal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
seriously you just made the argument that bash scripts are better on an embedded system

we need to use bash for init because the language that literally forks a process to evaluate an if statement is somehow a better fit on a smaller system wait what *hangs self*

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
*manipulates strings inside a loop, spawns 10000 processes*

ahh now thats the elegance of unix

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

no, it's a standalone service manager (and a tiny init system) based on daemontools - more like a replacement for systemd that does a lot less stuff

I'm thinking of pitching the 'service manager' concept for our next major product, and runit seemed like it might be greybeard-approvable. But I wanted to figure out what would be in store for me

All of my embedded Linux projects run systemd. In fact, I got systemd v236 ported to Buildroot (systemd converted to meson after 234, so meson + ninja + the systemd package had to be ported over).

If you aren't running systemd on embedded Linux in 2018, you are doing embedded Linux wrong.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

If you aren't running systemd on embedded Linux in 2018, you are doing embedded Linux wrong.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Perplx posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Foo posted:

lol that whole stunt was just some jab at systemd

what an idiot

the entire distro is some jab at systemd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Poopernickel posted:

yes, i use and like runit and s6

(just for process supervision not as an init system - i use systemd)