Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Some would argue that no GW product is worth the price they sell it at.

Apparently the metallics are very nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

BobOfDoom posted:

Question about the Citadel Mega Paint Set ( http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470003a&prodId=prod1390098a )...

Worth it or not?

I bought that on a whim a while back and I managed to get it a bit cheaper form elsewhere.. It's worth the convenience of having every colour cause you never know when you might need one etc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bang3r posted:

I bought that on a whim a while back and I managed to get it a bit cheaper form elsewhere.. It's worth the convenience of having every colour cause you never know when you might need one etc

If I had the money to waste, I would pick it up, but I am kinda annoyed that it comes with the overpriced flock and glue.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I managed to get it about $50 cheaper, but yeah the PVA glue and stuff is all a bit of a waste, I find the grass it came with doesn't seem to be that good quality wise either, but you do get a fair bit of it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

No

Buy the Reaper Master Series or Vallejo Game/Model Color paint sets instead.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Silhouette posted:

No

Buy the Reaper Master Series or Vallejo Game/Model Color paint sets instead.

I'm seeing these as even more expensive. Why would you recommend either of those over Citadel? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BobOfDoom posted:

I'm seeing these as even more expensive. Why would you recommend either of those over Citadel? Or am I just not looking in the right places?
You won't waste half the paint drying in lovely pots, for one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Citadel paints are mediocre, you get a poo poo amount in each jar, and the jars themselves are pure garbage and will lead to every single paint drying up within a year or so.

Vallejo and Reaper use dropper bottles, give you nearly 1.5-1.75x the paint for the money and are much better in general.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The old screw top pots were poo poo, but I've never had a problem with any of the others.

Most of the paint I use is at least three years old.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I'm still putting down more ideas for conversions I'll never finish for my army I'll never finish.
I'm sorta working on a Grom's Horde theme, and had an idea for a unit of savage orcs.
My idea is a horde of savages that are a borderline empire cargo cult. Think early Americanized Native Americans or northern Zulu colonial natives. Just bros picking up on style as they trample through the Empire. (I briefly considered elf worshipers, but that was too ridiculous).

I thought I'd use standard Orcs as a base, since I can get more of them for cheaper than the savage models. I've never seen human models first hand so I'm not sure how well they'll kitbash.
My idea for a shaman is an orc dressed to the nines as either a sigmar Gork priest, or give him an imperial wizard look.

Any ideas on what models to use, ideas for conversions?

on another note, do the normal goblin models look okay as chariot crew?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

sassassin posted:

The old screw top pots were poo poo, but I've never had a problem with any of the others.

Most of the paint I use is at least three years old.

Yeah, I've really never experienced any problem with the pop-top Citadel paints barring accidentally leaving one cracked open. I'm still using pots of colors I rarely use from when I started back in 2003.

Reaper and Vallejo colors are good too though--to some degree its personal preference.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Your dudes look good, but painting GW metallics takes patience (except their gunmetal tones). Gold doesn't coat well, getting an opaque coat is requires multiple thin coats. Alternatively, the area can be coated with Mythril Silver and then washed with a few coats of Gryphone Sepia, that works surprisingly well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Crosspost from the Infinity Oath thread.

Had a hell of a time with these guys, the primer I used was lovely as hell - you can see where there's paint flaking off, only noticed after I set up the photo tent, and this is after I did a pass fixing some OTHER flaked parts.

I should probably push the edge highlight on the blue metal up to white, I made the decision not to use any metallic paints on these guys but I am not used to painting subdued NMM (or nmm at all). Also should probably made the shading a little darker, but I am pretty sick of painting these guys tbh.

Bonus group shot with my lasiq.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The last-gen pop-top pots are utter poo poo. I have paints not even a year old and they've already started drying into a gloopy mess. For comparison, I still have some hexagonal old GW pop-tops I bought like 13 years ago and they're still great. Say what you will about the inconvenience of the old pots and the tops falling off, at least they hold paint :colbert:

That reminds me: why do the wash pots have extra tabs to keep them open and the normal/foundation pots don't? God forbid I want to mix some paint without holding the pot open each time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The new flip tops are passable, but they aren't as good as the old flip-tops, just better than the horrid screw-caps. Even if you don't have issues with the pot style, you still end up paying 25c/ml instead of 19c/ml for Reaper and 15c/ml for Vallejo.

Its worth it for the metallics and the washes (if you aren't intereted in making your own, like me) but for basic colors its pretty hard to justify.

I mean ok if you just loving love a particular GW shade then I guess it might be worth it, but know that you're paying a premium.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The one thing I find with the Citadel pots is you've really got to double check when you close them, like really make sure they're closed on the entire rim, and then check again when you put them away. Other than that I don't really mind them, prefer the Vallejo ones though admittedly.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I use GW and now P3 paints because they're available 5 minutes from my house. It's worth a few extra cents for the convenience.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Silhouette posted:

Citadel paints are mediocre, you get a poo poo amount in each jar, and the jars themselves are pure garbage and will lead to every single paint drying up within a year or so.

Vallejo and Reaper use dropper bottles, give you nearly 1.5-1.75x the paint for the money and are much better in general.

The pots do suck, but citadel is far superior to vallejo game color in every way other than the bottles. Vgc is too thin, dries to weird uneven sheens and mostly doesnt cover well. Vmc is covers better but its increidbly fragile because it is very matte.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

That reminds me: why do the wash pots have extra tabs to keep them open and the normal/foundation pots don't? God forbid I want to mix some paint without holding the pot open each time.

The Foundations have the same tab, and it baffles me that the standard Citadel colors don't. I really wish they did, since I like having the pot open when I'm painting that color.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
"Oh hey friend, instead of giving you a fully-assembled, completely painted army, I've bought you an army. Here's a mountain of Dark Eldar boxes!"

Awesome things: Getting (almost) a complete 2000 point army for free, as well as most of the paint colors I need.

Not awesome things: Having 0 experience assembling/painting figures, I've got about 10 hours of time into these and all I have are 10 Kabalite Warriors and 10 Wyches with a basecoat, removed from the sprues, and all armor pieces glued & painted Chaos Black.

At this point I'm going to have a 500 point army by 2012...

Oh, I also don't have any washes (yet)

I don't suppose I could get by with just assembling/gluing everything together and THEN painting everything? I have a feeling that would be more difficult though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Assembling and painting 500 points in two months isn't a terrible achievement. You could glue everything together and paint. That way you can play games while you slowly get it complete. Problem is that you're more likely to just leave everything grey or primed that way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last pot of devaln mud I bought doesn't stay open either.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

sassassin posted:

The last pot of devaln mud I bought doesn't stay open either.

They changed the entire line. As far as I can tell all the paints come in the pop top pots without the tab to keep them open now.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
How are you guys getting your Citadel paints to dry out? I have stuff that's pushing three years old, and its perfectly fine. I dab out what I need with my brush, put it onto my wet palette, close the paint, and return it to my paint case. The paint pot stays open for two minutes, max. Repeat as needed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Manifest posted:

They changed the entire line. As far as I can tell all the paints come in the pop top pots without the tab to keep them open now.

Sorry for hoping they'd actually fix the BAD parts :argh:

PaintVagrant posted:

Vgc (...) dries to weird uneven sheens and mostly doesnt cover well.
o.O I have the same experiences with GW paints. Compared to VGC. Difference of batches/painting methods?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Pierzak posted:

o.O I have the same experiences with GW paints. Compared to VGC. Difference of batches/painting methods?

Are you thinning your paints before you put them on? Since I started doing this, and doing two or three basecoats I've had no issues.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't have problems with the new snap-tops drying out, but I think the problem is that they don't pop closed. It's possible to close the pot without actually sealing it, leaving this little crack that you may not notice that still allows the paint to slowly dry. Note that this is the case for the foundation/washes I have, I don't have any of the new GW color range because I haven't had to buy a new pot in a while.

The good pots, like GW used to have and coat d'arms still uses, there is a clear 'pop' when you seal them, like with tupperware. I mean sure, you could just fail to screw on the top of a vallejo pot as well, but I always end up having to double-check the GW ones before putting them away.

I feel kind of stupid disagreeing with PV about paint stuff, but I really like a bunch of the VGC line. Off the top of my head, I love their Ghost Grey (match for the Elf Grey GW discontinued!), Desert Yellow, and Khaki. I am less pleased with their Warlord Purple, but its no worse than the GW equivalent. The only one I have been disappointed with is Bloody Red, it takes a lot of coats to cover.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Theres defintely some good colors in the vgc range, but overall gw paint is higher quality imo. But i think a lot of that has to do with your style of painting too, i find vgc to not cover as well as p3 (my favorite) or gw, so it slows me down and that drives me nuts. i prefer thicker/ more pigmented paint out of the pot so i can control the consistency, which is why i prefer vallejo model color over game color.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I prefer gw to vallejo too, for the same reason as you. Sounds like I should try some p3!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
P3 has some really cool shades you don't see elsewhere. I'm only just getting into them, but Arcane Blue, Menoth White Highlight, and Rucksack Tan are colors I use constantly. Trollblood base too, but only because I'm painting Trolls at the moment. The others I use in different projects as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hey, it looks like P3 also works out to about 15c/ml, so they are also a great deal!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Theres defintely some good colors in the vgc range, but overall gw paint is higher quality imo. But i think a lot of that has to do with your style of painting too, i find vgc to not cover as well as p3 (my favorite) or gw, so it slows me down and that drives me nuts. i prefer thicker/ more pigmented paint out of the pot so i can control the consistency, which is why i prefer vallejo model color over game color.
Ah, that might be it. I can't paint well using thicker paint, so VGC is way better for me. That and I have wasting paint when thinning it. I'll try the P3 paints when I have a chance.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

TastyAvocado posted:

I prefer gw to vallejo too, for the same reason as you. Sounds like I should try some p3!

Skorne Red is great, one of my favourites at the moment though is Frostbite. Its a nice blue tinted almost white, great when you are painting Blood Angels iconography.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man how the hell did I forget Frostbite? Another awesome color. I hadn't considered it for Marines but yeah it sounds great for painting iconography and stuff on them.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Manifest posted:

I very rarely paint straight from the pot, but for when I do, I have an old brush cap/tube thingy knocking around

:science:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

also whilst I've got the photo handy, pots through the ages..

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Feelin a bit less like a dirtbag for painting from the occasional pot when I hear awesome painters do it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was really hoping that picture would be Goblin Green all the way down, skarsnik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fix posted:

Feelin a bit less like a dirtbag for painting from the occasional pot when I hear awesome painters do it.

I do it for washes, and the new liquid greenstuff.
But it'd be nice if the lid stayed open when I was simply taking paint out to mix on the palette. Gonna steal that brush tip idea.

• Locked thread