Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I could never do vegetarian because almost all green veggies taste incredibly bitter to me. Even iceberg lettuce which people claims has no taste still tastes bitter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

I could never do vegetarian because almost all green veggies taste incredibly bitter to me. Even iceberg lettuce which people claims has no taste still tastes bitter to me.

I thought it was because cows are going to frolic through our forests like deer.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My dinner tonight was one pound of salad and then one pound of kielbasa.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

I'm the same way for a lot of things but cooking them properly helps a lot. See: brussels sprouts. Those fuckers are incredibly bitter but I love them now because I can cook them right: the answer to bitterness is roasting. Roast all the vegetables.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Another good tip is to suck it up until you learn to like it. It takes a while to develop a taste for something. For example, I developed my taste for human flesh at around age 10, after several years of Catholic mass.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
More specifically for brussels sprouts:

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut sprouts in half. Apply liberal amount of kosher salt, conservative amount of olive oil, toss them around. Put in oven for 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so to dislodge them for even roasting.

While cooking, put some balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-ish heat until it's boiling, then reduce heat. Stir that poo poo constantly until you get a nice reduction: to test whether it's reduced enough, put a plate in the freezer for a few minutes, and when you think the reduction is done, drop a few droplets onto the frozen plate and turn it on its side. If the droplet stays put, it's done! If it runs, keep cooking/stirring and test it every few minutes. Once sprouts have roasted for 40 minutes, take them out of the oven and toss in the reduction and consume. I've never met a single person that didn't love them this way, even if they abhorred them normally.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
fahrenheit is for sissys and the proud people of burma

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kelvin or GTFO IMO.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I thought it was because cows are going to frolic through our forests like deer.

Don't kid yourself, Ecco. If a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you cared about!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Why do you need religiously approved salt? I don't get it. It's just a mineral mined from the earth, not a living being.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Larger grain size, no iodine. Named Kosher because it was used to remove blood to make things Kosher.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Kumbamontu posted:

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut sprouts in half. Apply liberal amount of kosher salt, conservative amount of olive oil, toss them around. Put in oven for 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so to dislodge them for even roasting.

While cooking, put some balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-ish heat until it's boiling, then reduce heat. Stir that poo poo constantly until you get a nice reduction: to test whether it's reduced enough, put a plate in the freezer for a few minutes, and when you think the reduction is done, drop a few droplets onto the frozen plate and turn it on its side. If the droplet stays put, it's done! If it runs, keep cooking/stirring and test it every few minutes. Once sprouts have roasted for 40 minutes, take them out of the oven and toss in the reduction and consume. I've never met a single person that didn't love them this way, even if they abhorred them normally.

Holy crap that sounds tasty. Doin it this weekend.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

CCKeane posted:

Kelvin or GTFO IMO.

yeah i can dig this

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2020

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ecco if you want to eat more turnips you should make this soup. It's really good.

You can sub the chicken stock, obv. Better than bullion makes a good fake chicken bullion iirc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/silken-turnip-soup/11003/

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I really like coating chick peas in barbeque sauce and baking them, it really helps them not be inedible garbage

Vegetarians, please give me recipes for how to make veggies taste good

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Feed them to an animal, then eat the animal.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

Feed them to an animal, then eat the animal.

too much money

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I am blessed with liking most vegetables. Carrots and broccoli taste sweet to me, I love brussels sprouts even if they're squishy and gross, I love tomatoes and onions and mushrooms and cucumbers, peas are a staple in many of my meals, corn is ok, kale is very good and I use it in my tacos and sandwiches, radishes are okay, squashes are obviously wonderful esp. in fall, turnips are wonderful and I don't eat them nearly enough but I definitely should because they're even good raw.

I like bitter things. I like my tea without cream or sugar, esp. if it's cold because it was seeping for an hour and I forgot about it like right now whoops *sip sip*.

See, I just do not like bitter things and want sweet all the time. I'm like a hummingbird that just wants sugar water all the time.

And don't get me wrong, I do like some veggies but just not most green ones because they taste bitter to me. On the other hand, you could give me potatoes or peas or corn or cucumber or mushrooms or onions and I'm generally ok with it. I'm not a big fan of raw tomatoes, but I love a good tomato based sauce.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Kumbamontu posted:

Cut in quarters, toss with balsamic, soy sauce, steak seasoning and Worcestershire, then place in glass baking dish, cut some lumps of butter on top, stick in oven at 420 degrees. Stir every five to seven minutes until they're soft and browning. A little char is totally okay.

Best served over quinoa with cheddar cheese melted into it. You can use this method with a lot of different vegetables. Asparagus and broccoli are totally great like this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pro veggie soup recipe

Creamy Cauliflower Soup (without any cream!)

2 small heads or one large head of cauliflower

2 large onions- either Vidalia or the sweet summer farmer’s market variety

2 shallots (they make everything taste better)

4 cloves of garlic - finely minced

Approx. 2 quarts of chicken stock or vegetable stock

3 tbsp. olive oil

Use a stockpot with top

Chop onions, shallots and garlic - keep separate

Sauté them in the olive oil in that order- onions first, etc.

Stir frequently until they become soft and translucent but not brown

Add the chicken stock to pot

Rinse and break apart the cauliflower florets into small pieces

Add cauliflower to pot and boil on low until they become soft when forked

(Approx. 30 minutes?)

Let cool down

Puree in a food processor until “smooth and creamy”

Adjust consistency to your liking

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Amoeba102 posted:

Rare steak best steak. If you cook your steak too much, maybe you just don't like meat. Consider Ecco's calls for vegetarianism.

Or... you do like meat... just cooked more... :confused:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Or... you do like meat... just cooked more... :confused:

Seems unlikely.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

This week I have produced phenomenal scientific data. This means that for the rest of the year I will get nothing. What do you all do when you use up all of your good luck for the year?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Seems unlikely.

Agreed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

This week I have produced phenomenal scientific data. This means that for the rest of the year I will get nothing. What do you all do when you use up all of your good luck for the year?

Well the year is almost over so party

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

Write it up for a paper and avoid doing experiments.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ernie. posted:

Lock yourself in your residence. Year is almost over, you just have to survive a few weeks. Good luck!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Its fucken easy. Roasted sweet potato is amazing. Twice cooked roast potato is also great. You par boil until its slightly soft on the outside, then put the lid on and shake it up a bit so the outside gets all fluffy.

Then make a mixture of olive oil, pepper, whatever the gently caress salt you want, and some fucken herbs like oregano and lightly coat the potato chunks. Then roast those fuckers.

Then eat them.

gently caress.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I only like potatoes in mashed form.

Because I am an infant.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Salt potatoes are a wonderful piece of home that I miss

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Po Tay Toes. Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Also fresh roasted beetroot, goats cheese and walnuts makes the best salad in the world. Ever

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Po Tay Toes. Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Seriously though, I like my baked potatoes whole, skin an all, just rip into them with my teeth without condiments.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, can't remember where I saw that recipe. It's boss.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet potatoes are gross no matter the preparation. Regular potatoes are mostly okay, unless they're not salted enough and then they taste like bland. I prefer mashed over any other preparation as well, but baked is good too.

One thing I've learned recently is that you can replace sour cream with plain greek yogurt almost universally. You're unlikely to notice any difference in taste or texture, but you're getting a nice amount of protein instead of sugar and fat. This works especially well on baked potatoes and sour cream based sauces, such as dill sauce for artichokes and salmon.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
You're not cooking them right then.

Potatoes don't need a whole lot of salt if you roast them right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What Kumba is saying is that potatoes are a good salt vector.