Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
solving my home audio problems by building a DSP based audio mixer to route all devices through

it can do 10/10 stereo pair routing (8/7 implemented right now), every output has a dedicated mix output with levels, mute, and solo.
integrated an airplay receiver and a headset amplifier I built back in 2016 as well.

mixer core is a SigmaDSP ADAU1442, and an ESP32 driving the business logic and providing a web UI to control the settings
did all the analog inputs as balanced with a mix of consumer and professional levels. there's also 1 S/PDIF input and 3 S/PDIF outputs.

control UI is printf() html:

every input & output has 3 second order filters available:

to fit into a repurposed 1U rack box I had to use non-standard SP13 connectors, so made a couple of these 3D printed breakouts to go to XLR/TRS, using Cat5 SFTP cabling to carry a balanced stereo pair

here shown connecting the minidisc recorder's analog outputs

the DSP is currently sitting at ~2500/4096 instructions per audio sample so still have some spare capacity there, they're pretty beefy

future work is to build an expansion board to add the remaining 2 inputs and 3 outputs that were left in a header strip on the main board, will add USB audio input, an additional S/PDIF TX/RX pair, and 2 more analog outputs
just waiting for an "XMOS U208" based USB-I2S converter board to verify how it works and will be ready to order the PCB for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
very cool!

longview posted:

did all the analog inputs as balanced

:perfect:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I spent 2,000 hours coding an animal adoption site called Meowseum and got carried away, added video validation/processing, and let it sprawl into Instagram but without filters, but I didn't add the part where animal shelter could register its details. It has jQuery Mobile so that users can navigate a gallery by swiping, added a night mode but not the part where an animal shelter could register its details... I'd been sending mock-ups to a former graphic designer for Nokia, who would inspect them and offer advice for improvements.

Sometimes I think about going back to it and trying to find investors on some place like Kickstarter, but I think it's best that I leave it alone.

After I stopped working on that, I tried spending 600 hours coding a program that scrapes location data in order to resell it, but over four years, two of the ten test franchises switched APIs. It was taking less and less time per API the more I worked on the project, 40-50 for the last one (Kroger), but I don't feel like doing it anymore. I should've ignored all the API information except for the address data, the minimum to test the superclass, rather than wasting time testing that collecting all the info like store hours worked.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 5, 2024

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

sorry for the double-post, I pressed the wrong button

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I recently acquired an old bus flip dot sign and am using it as an excuse to learn a little electronics and basic programming poo poo while I look for a job. fortunately, the model I have has a really well documented control protocol.

my goal is to have it display etas for the bus and the train on its tiny rear end 23x10 pixel screen via an esp32.

here's everything I have to do and learn:

get parts
flash the esp32 with arduino
modify the control software code to work with my smaller sign
actually test the sign lol
wire the sign for 24v, 12v, 3.3v, and signal
pull next arriving bus and train info from the mta
write the whole app to pull everything together
mount buttons for control
pack it all in the housing
mount it somewhere

that's a lot of poo poo to do, so naturally I'm learning how to flash the firmware on my new pinecil

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
nice. just getting it to display whatever you want is pretty fun. i had a decent time just making my ppd220red say random poo poo for a while once i got it hooked up and functional

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I recently acquired an old bus flip dot sign and am using it as an excuse to learn a little electronics and basic programming poo poo while I look for a job. fortunately, the model I have has a really well documented control protocol.

that's really cool but is the sticker price correct? didn't think those things would be so expensive.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my little led sign (the ppd220red) was something like $80 off ebay but if you try and buy one from the manufacturer i'm pretty sure they want four digits for it

e: little signs like that are surprisingly expensive

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I forget the manufacturer but I remember seeing single-pixel flip-dot displays. Someone used it as a needs-water/water-ok indicator for a plant soil sensor.

Unlike an LED or whatever it consumed no power unless flipping the dot, so that was neat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably e-ink, with no pixel addressing so it just flips all the cells at once

sometimes I wonder how much those credit card sized e-ink displays cost that big box stores are using for prices. a single store must need thousands of them

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
a quick search for "electronic price tag" suggests they're about $20 for individual units and $10ish in bulk

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

haveblue posted:

probably e-ink, with no pixel addressing so it just flips all the cells at once

Nah it was definitely a flip-dot, in a cute little bubble capsule for viewing, with a red side and a green side.

e: loving found em, I remember the manuf name now, Alfa-zeta

https://flipdots.com/en/products-services/status-indicators/

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2024

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've wanted to make a poster sized game of life out of some static medium for as long as I can remember. A GOL poster that updates once a day. A cheap flip dot implementation would do the trick nicely, but the wiring sounds hellish.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I was looking into things like flip-dot screens and due to the cost, finally settled on this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B088BTXHRG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

it’s a 8x32 grid of WS2812B leds…
it’s ~$19
it’s flexible
it’s bright as hell
it’s easily programmed via ESP32 with either the neopixel or FastLED frameworks

I really like it a lot, and scrolling stuff across it is super legible and eye-catching.

but alas, I got distracted and didn’t build anything super “real” with it and now it lays dormant... for now

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

galenanorth posted:

I spent 2,000 hours coding an animal adoption site called Meowseum and got carried away, added video validation/processing, and let it sprawl into Instagram but without filters, but I didn't add the part where animal shelter could register its details. It has jQuery Mobile so that users can navigate a gallery by swiping, added a night mode but not the part where an animal shelter could register its details... I'd been sending mock-ups to a former graphic designer for Nokia, who would inspect them and offer advice for improvements.

Sometimes I think about going back to it and trying to find investors on some place like Kickstarter, but I think it's best that I leave it alone.

After I stopped working on that, I tried spending 600 hours coding a program that scrapes location data in order to resell it, but over four years, two of the ten test franchises switched APIs. It was taking less and less time per API the more I worked on the project, 40-50 for the last one (Kroger), but I don't feel like doing it anymore. I should've ignored all the API information except for the address data, the minimum to test the superclass, rather than wasting time testing that collecting all the info like store hours worked.

where the hell did you get 2600 hours to hobby code, are you a patent clerk or something?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

spankmeister posted:

that's really cool but is the sticker price correct? didn't think those things would be so expensive.

yup, they're vanishingly rare, heinously difficult to make and maintain, and outclassed by leds in every possible way

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

nice. just getting it to display whatever you want is pretty fun. i had a decent time just making my ppd220red say random poo poo for a while once i got it hooked up and functional

here's the protocol I'm looking at. thank gently caress this dude compiled all the initialization codes, because that would have been almost impossible to reverse engineer
https://alusch.github.io/flipdot-protocol/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

crackin it open

ooooodles of space for the power supply and esp32

hm don't really wanna deal with this bullshit automotive connector, where does it go?

mmmmmm, much better

let's pull the display off and peek at everything else. er...

there are four of these standoffs and two of them are under the soldered-in flipdots :negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
where's a good place to get a small low-voltage project parts*? amazon is kind of a minefield for this sort of thing, radio shack has been dead for decades, and I'm not sure where else to look

*specifically, a waterproof switch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

where's a good place to get a small low-voltage project parts*? amazon is kind of a minefield for this sort of thing, radio shack has been dead for decades, and I'm not sure where else to look

*specifically, a waterproof switch

aliexpress, ebay or the bigger suppliers like Farnell, RS, Digikey, Mouser et al.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amazon or ebay, if it's for an idiot spare time project. yeah they're minefields full of counterfeits but honestly most small electronic parts just either work or they don't. 99% of the time they work. i'd search for waterproof switch and find one with 5 stars and 1000 reviews and it's virtually certain to be fine.

if you need guaranteed quality or reliability, digi-key or mouser and look for real brand names like omron, hirose, etc.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this project is of medium idiocy (repairing a battery-powered home device) so I'll suck it up and use amazon thanks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

theflyingexecutive posted:

hm don't really wanna deal with this bullshit automotive connector, where does it go?

that looks like a normal cpc series 1 13-7 standard sex

i think 211399-1 ought to be the mating part

if it really is some oddball environmentally sealed automotive connector, then never mind

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

that looks like a normal cpc series 1 13-7 standard sex

i think 211399-1 ought to be the mating part

if it really is some oddball environmentally sealed automotive connector, then never mind

That's it! It's :10bux: though and I'll be mounting all the additional hardware in the case anyway, so away it goes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
5ish from tti, but if you don't need to exit the case with those signals anyway then heck with it

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I have this weird dream that refuses to die of making a vacuum tube computer kit with a single logic gate and a USB interface, so you can simulate all of the logic gates in whatever design by feeding them to your little tube one at a time with a real computer. This is of course pointless as anything but a curiosity and history lesson, but boy do I love both of those things!

You can see the filament glowing in this one. That's a 12AX7 dual triode wired as a NOR gate running at 180V on the plate. Feel free to ignore the, um, hot glue and toothpicks filling in for the real mounting hardware.

It's a DC supply so only one of the electrodes in the neon lamp glows.

Bonus schematic. J2 is the USB connector and J1 is 12V power. L1 is a hand-wound coil with 6 turns between 12V and the switch in the LM5001 and another 30 turns between the switch and the diode.

If you're wondering which part of this is "tube logic gate" and which part of this is "support equipment to make tube logic gate work with modern computers/power supplies", everything to the right of Q2 in the schematic (V1 and R13-R19) are the actual NOR gate.

Here's a close-up of that hand-wound coil. I'm a little less apologetic for all the hot melt here because ugly as it is, it sure holds the windings in place.

Bonus bonus board layout.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t really get it but I do love it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

echinopsis posted:

I don’t really get it but I do love it

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Stack Machine posted:

Bonus bonus board layout.

:nice:

this was made using that PCB board wiggleification/hand-drawn-look software you wrote, right? it's a nifty style.

this also reminds me that i have a set of nixie tubes sitting on a shelf that i kind of want to make a clock with, but then remember that that would take :effort: and so they stay on the shelf. congrats on getting your tube project actually made

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

PDP-1 posted:

:nice:

this was made using that PCB board wiggleification/hand-drawn-look software you wrote, right? it's a nifty style.

this also reminds me that i have a set of nixie tubes sitting on a shelf that i kind of want to make a clock with, but then remember that that would take :effort: and so they stay on the shelf. congrats on getting your tube project actually made

Yep. It's more of a png-to-gerber thing though, the hand-drawn style itself comes from, well, drawing the boards by hand in Gimp. I also want to use it to copy other historic styles like the chunky 1.27mm-grid style that was common with early CAD in the 80s and early 90s. I made a big push to make progress on some languishing projects recently though and I'm really happy to see this one work on the first rev. (doubly so since it's hand-drawn and LVS is manual)

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 20, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

very neat. also thank you for the reminder I need to replace one of the 12AX7s in my guitar amp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Genuinely wonder what tube market will look like in the next 10 years. The only place that allows the factories is Russia pretty much, and well we know how that goes. The fab process involves a shitload of vaporized heavy metals so it's basically impossible to spin up a new plant in any country where you can get your mail w/o dudes on motorcycles taking potshots at you.

to be honest, sim stuff has gotten enough nuance that i don't care either way, but it'd be cool if we could figure out how to keep the tube train running. i have a big fistful of the neural dsp plugins and they sound grrrrrreat.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
artisanal tubes

(not really kidding, small lot handmade)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
china?

they would probably make them in like Vietnam too.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I think the 12AX7s I have now (that aren't american new old stock) are from china and slovakia and they're still produced, but the most recent ones I bought were like $30 a piece.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

artisanal tubes

(not really kidding, small lot handmade)

I remember that somebody did this with nixie tubes around 2010 and I think they were hundreds of dollars a piece. Somebody designed a clock around it that displayed the digits one at a time.

edit: guess they're still at it, dalibor farny in czechia.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh poo poo yeah I loved the step by step video of the actual process of how they get made. Fascinating stuff for a huge dork like me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe they’ll start using those little vacuum florescent tube ics as replacements. i think korg makes one but idk how similar it is to the old tubes.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

this also reminds me that i have a set of nixie tubes sitting on a shelf that i kind of want to make a clock with, but then remember that that would take :effort: and so they stay on the shelf.

it occurred to me this morning that i could lower the :effort: factor on this thing by a lot if i could ship it off to JLCPCB to do most of the SMT assembly work

they do have smallish STM32 M0 microprocessors with integrated real time clocks in stock, these also have a SPI port that could run a chain of '595 shift registers to drive the digits and then us a FMMT497TA or similar high voltage NPN to drive the nixie pins.

iirc, the nixie tubes want to run at 170VDC which is conveniently the peak voltage of our AC mains here in the US so you could pretty much just rectify that AC into a capacitor with a single diode and call the high voltage supply good. i mean obviously you want to fuse it and do some surge protection/filtering but it'd be a pretty basic setup

this could be doable? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eeyo posted:

maybe they’ll start using those little vacuum florescent tube ics as replacements. i think korg makes one but idk how similar it is to the old tubes.

I have a NuTube amp and it's cool as poo poo. imo it sounds very much like a 12ax7 preamp. Plus, it's literally just a single element VFD, so it flickers in time with the music (inverted, actually, so no light when you hit a note)