Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I have a one true steak recipe, from my contribution to the original cookfia:

Grandicap posted:

Grills are ok, if you are outside, and charcoal does add something to the party, but for a solid crust, and those delicious malliards, you need a pan. Preferably cast iron.
So first you need to salt your steak on both sides and let it sit on the counter for at least an hour, up to 2 hours. Let all of that surface steak water get leached out and concentrate that steaky flavor.
After you pat it dry and season it with salt and cracked pepper it should look a little darker than when you started.
Throw it in the pan which has been preheated to 500oF on medium high heat for 30 seconds.
And then flip it.
Wait another 30 seconds and throw it in the 500oF oven for 2 minutes a side.
Let rest for 5 minutes, serve with broccoli.

If archives were up there would be pictures too. But trust me, it is a yummy recipe. You can see it, and many more recipes in the Cookfia official recipe book. Also the doc has pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Amoeba102 posted:

What Kumba is saying is that potatoes are a good salt vector.

What isn't, though?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

You're not cooking them right then.

Potatoes don't need a whole lot of salt if you roast them right.

It's my mother-in-law that does not cook them right, not me. ;)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Yeah that's fair kumba. I really disliked potatoes as a kid because all my mum would do is cover them in glad wrap and microwave them. So bland and disgusting.

I'm now in charge of preparing all Xmas veggies every year~

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

:gonk:

The horror.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
back home, there are really small round potatoes that aren't good for much. What they are good for, though, is boiling in saltwater and eating as a snack. I'm craving those lately.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Potatoes? Ah yes, the classic Irishman's dilemma. Do you eat the potato now or let it ferment so you can drink it later?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

busb posted:

Yeah that's fair kumba. I really disliked potatoes as a kid because all my mum would do is cover them in glad wrap and microwave them. So bland and disgusting.

What did those poor potatoes ever do to your mother??

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Kumbamontu posted:

Sweet potatoes are gross no matter the preparation. Regular potatoes are mostly okay, unless they're not salted enough and then they taste like bland. I prefer mashed over any other preparation as well, but baked is good too.

One thing I've learned recently is that you can replace sour cream with plain greek yogurt almost universally. You're unlikely to notice any difference in taste or texture, but you're getting a nice amount of protein instead of sugar and fat. This works especially well on baked potatoes and sour cream based sauces, such as dill sauce for artichokes and salmon.

Oof. Some rough opinions in this post.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's actually a pretty great post.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

busb posted:

:captainpop:

Asiina posted:

It's actually a pretty great post.

Are you talking about your last post? Since you have everyone else on ignore.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
All my posts are great, and since Kumba is my alt account, his post is great too.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
you all have broken taste buds eye emm aitch oh, y'all should seek medical attention to get that corrected.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

food is good imo

Also holy poo poo is anyone else watching the christmas-flavored football game tonight? My eyes are watering at these uniform choices.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Allen Wren posted:

food is good imo

Also holy poo poo is anyone else watching the christmas-flavored football game tonight? My eyes are watering at these uniform choices.

My eyes, too, are watering, but that might be more from my poor fantasy choices than the uniforms.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

All my posts are great, and since Kumba is my alt account, his post is great too.

Kumba being my alt account has helped me cope with my paranoid schizophrenia.

fake edit: poo poo

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I love eating meat and baring health issues I will do so for the rest of my life. Im just saying, if you think about it eating dead flesh is creepy and weird and they way we treat food animals is atrocious and people 50 years from now will likely look back on It in the way we do people owning slaves. If there was lab grown meat easily availible I would switch to it in an instant even if it didnt taste as good.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I don't like mashed potato. Give me dauphinoise or lyonnaise any day.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't Wonka's factory, busb. You can't just make up food.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

I love eating meat and baring health issues I will do so for the rest of my life. Im just saying, if you think about it eating dead flesh is creepy and weird and they way we treat food animals is atrocious and people 50 years from now will likely look back on It in the way we do people owning slaves. If there was lab grown meat easily availible I would switch to it in an instant even if it didnt taste as good.

:agreed:

Man, derp, I think you really hit my mostly-unconcerned-carnivore personality on the head there.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mafia thread I am having my first egg nog of the season and I am very excited and needed to share the good news :toot:

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

Mafia thread I am having my first egg nog of the season and I am very excited and needed to share the good news :toot:

It is that time of season isn't it? Now I want to stop by the grocery store tomorrow to pick some up. Hope you're enjoying it!

(Also, hi everyone. I'm new here but hoping to stick around for a while. Is this where I say hello?)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hello friend

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Best place to say hello is in a game, but I don't know if anything is signing up at the moment.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I just missed out on Darkest Dungeon I think. I'll be keeping a close eye out for the next one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if people are planning on making games, but I feel like making a game so maybe I'll make a little one.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Hello :3:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Im watching the jets and bills and the jets have pure green uniforms... how does that work? I thought they used the greenness of the field to do their green screen digital tricks of putting the first down line on the field and such. How can green suited guys run over a digitally inserted line with no trouble?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also two of the worst uniform designs I've ever seen

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I dont watch a lot of sports if you can't tell

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

uranus posted:

Im watching the jets and bills and the jets have pure green uniforms... how does that work? I thought they used the greenness of the field to do their green screen digital tricks of putting the first down line on the field and such. How can green suited guys run over a digitally inserted line with no trouble?

It's not chromakey, it's a more-advanced computer system that overlays a colored line on the image, in the same way that they'll put a large down marker on the field, but you can still see the players standing on top of it. It tracks player motion and lets players cross in front of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_%26_Ten_%28graphics_system%29

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 13, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also this new idea of "every team is going to have a Thursday Night alternate monochrome uniform" is going to end badly. What are they going to do if the giants are scheduled to play the colts, or the chiefs play the bills?

Apparently it's going to be teal vs. gold with the titans and jags next week.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Allen Wren posted:

Also this new idea of "every team is going to have a Thursday Night alternate monochrome uniform" is going to end badly. What are they going to do if the giants are scheduled to play the colts, or the chiefs play the bills?

Apparently it's going to be teal vs. gold with the titans and jags next week.

I am amazed that they didn't laugh the guy who suggested "Hey why don't we put Titans and Jags on Thursday?" out of the room, but rather they actually thought "Huh, that is a great idea!"

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Are the teams not interesting, or is Thursday night when no one watches?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Yes

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Amoeba102 posted:

They are both very bad (2-6 as we sit today) with small market fanbases so in addition to being a bad game no on will watch it. Plus, for whatever reason, Thursday games always tend to be worse than games on Sunday (maybe having only half the days to get ready for it that you normally get, I don't know), so it will be extra terrible.

Quote this post next week when it becomes an awesome shoot out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

chaoslord posted:

They are both very bad (2-6 as we sit today) with small market fanbases so in addition to being a bad game no on will watch it. Plus, for whatever reason, Thursday games always tend to be worse than games on Sunday (maybe having only half the days to get ready for it that you normally get, I don't know), so it will be extra terrible.

Short rest definitely does contribute to poorer play on Thursdays, yes.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

chaoslord posted:

My answer was shorter.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I have never had egg nog. Im looking forward to brandy butter on pancakes though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i have been invited to a 90s themed party tomorrow

i jokingly said i'll show up as y2k and break everyone's phones and computers

the dude who invited me hasn't talked to me in 20m

do you all think we're done? y/n