Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Destructoid gave it a 9/10. I don't know what he knocked a point off it for since he didn't say anything negative about it. GameXplain also loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jeff Gerstmann died?

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
Calling something soulless in any review medium has pretty much turned into meaning "I don't want to have to do actual working explaining why I don't like this"

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Giant Bomb's basic review is: "I liked Canvas Curse. I was hoping it would be a lot like that. It looks great, but there's no variety. There are no Kirby powers (like beam and stuff like that). The boss fights aren't good and they get recycled."

Halfway through the first level they showed, he said "You've basically seen all it has to offer. There's not much more to say in this review."

I planned on passing on this one and watching the video pretty much confirms what I thought it was going to be. It's not worse than I expected, but it doesn't look better than I expected. Two player does look like where it shines.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

raditts posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty crap review that basically said "this game is not exactly the same as Canvas Curse so it is a bad game pee pee doo doo soulless"

Have they always been that bad, or did they go downhill after that one fat guy died? I remember people in this forum holding them up as some kind of gold standard a few years ago but not so much anymore.

Holy poo poo man, calm the gently caress down just because they reviewed a game you were looking forward to badly.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fremry posted:

"I liked Canvas Curse. I was hoping it would be a lot like that. It looks great, but there's no variety. There are no Kirby powers (like beam and stuff like that). The boss fights aren't good and they get recycled."

Those seem like fair complaints, honestly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vintersorg posted:

Holy poo poo man, calm the gently caress down just because they reviewed a game you were looking forward to badly.

...do you see me hyperventilating while pounding those words into my keyboard or something, because I'm not sure what I wrote that warrants this response.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

raditts posted:

...do you see me hyperventilating while pounding those words into my keyboard or something, because I'm not sure what I wrote that warrants this response.

Did you read what you wrote? You pretty much dismiss the review using fluff "pee pee doo doo bad" and saying have they always been bad as if you weren't aware of Giantbomb since the fat guy who died did so a long time go. The review was pretty fair and then you cried about it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Did you read what you wrote? You pretty much dismiss the review using fluff "pee pee doo doo bad" and saying have they always been bad as if you weren't aware of Giantbomb since the fat guy who died did so a long time go. The review was pretty fair and then you cried about it.

It was a badly written review (I mean come on, one of his complaints is that you have to look at the gamepad screen on a game where you have to draw things on the gamepad screen) and I said it was a badly written review, and I don't read game review sites but everyone used to sing their praises so I'm just wondering what changed to lead to low-info reviews like that. Who needs to calm down now, you giant loving exaggerating baby.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

raditts posted:

It was a badly written review and I said it was a badly written review, and I don't read game review sites but everyone used to sing their praises so I'm just wondering what changed to lead to low-info reviews like that. Who needs to calm down now, you giant loving exaggerating baby.

literally nobody talks about giantbomb because they care about video game reviews

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It looks like a dumb game anyways and its a shame its mainly played on the gamepad instead of a giant rear end tv. I could see the Wiimotes being used to create paths kinda fun.

But keep getting mad at reviews for games you like.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

no it is u who is truly mad

Ruggington posted:

literally nobody talks about giantbomb because they care about video game reviews

I can just feel this turning into a really stupid derail, but what do people talk about them for then? I thought they were a site that reviews games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ruggington posted:

What they talk about it for then? I've never looked at the site because I have a policy against explosives and things named after explosives.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

It was a badly written review (I mean come on, one of his complaints is that you have to look at the gamepad screen on a game where you have to draw things on the gamepad screen) and I said it was a badly written review, and I don't read game review sites but everyone used to sing their praises so I'm just wondering what changed to lead to low-info reviews like that. Who needs to calm down now, you giant loving exaggerating baby.

I think that's an extremely valid complaint, and one of the reasons I had written it off. I have a very nice 60" TV, Nintendo finally made an HD console, and this game has an extremely nice aesthetic. I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth nor the full effect by playing the game on a 6" low res screen whose color depth and calibration is mediocre at best.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dan has a huge hard on for the Wii U and Nintendo in general so maybe the problem isn't with the website he posted the review on.

Fremry posted:

I think that's an extremely valid complaint, and one of the reasons I had written it off. I have a very nice 60" TV, Nintendo finally made an HD console, and this game has an extremely nice aesthetic. I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth nor the full effect by playing the game on a 6" low res screen whose color depth and calibration is mediocre at best.

And flicking your eyes between DS screens is generally way more convenient than looking between your Gamepad and television, it's reasonable to point out that the gameplay didn't translate as well between consoles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm mildly puzzled why they didn't do this as a 3DS game, really. Without multiplayer, you just don't need the TV at all.

Just desperately want to use that touchscreen controller for something, I guess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

raditts posted:

I can just feel this turning into a really stupid derail, but what do people talk about them for then? I thought they were a site that reviews games.

Their quick looks are actually decent - even if they suck - since you get a good idea of what the game will be. It's what got me to buy Dragon Age: Origins all those years ago. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

I just read a post on Kotaku where Brian Ashcraft was having a fit because nIntendo was quoting Metacritic scores. As an aside, why do gaming sites act like Metacritic killed their loving dog?

Probably because it's taking their ad revenue.

The fact that Metacritic is a giant pile of poo poo whose scores are the statistical equivalent of complete gibberish is incidental.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

raditts posted:

no it is u who is truly mad

greatn posted:

What they talk about it for then? I've never looked at the site because I have a policy against explosives and things named after explosives.

I wrote a bunch of different descriptions before I realized I could just post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_hUhibW9kQ

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkL9SP3HJZE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aren't their scores just averages? It's just a RSS feed of reviews and numbers and it tallys them up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm mildly puzzled why they didn't do this as a 3DS game, really. Without multiplayer, you just don't need the TV at all.

Just desperately want to use that touchscreen controller for something, I guess.

Probably because they just released Triple Deluxe on the 3DS last year, and I guess the clay aesthetic wouldn't come out as well on the 3DS screen.
Although it does seem like each of those games would be more suitable on the opposite platform.

Fremry posted:

I guess that's fair enough, I rather like the gamepad screen so it doesn't really occur to me that other people wouldn't. I guess I'll have to see for myself whether that is as much of an issue as he makes it out to be, but personally it probably won't be a big deal for me anyway.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 18, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

on the plus side kirby is priced like a 3ds game so just pretend thats what it is while youre looking at the gamepad

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I like the idea of Kirby and love every bit about the aesthetics of his various games, I just cant bring myself to really ENJOY his games, something is missing from them in general and I cant put my finger on it.

I do think though that Nintendo should make the online comic 'brawl in the family' part of his canon though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vintersorg posted:

Aren't their scores just averages? It's just a RSS feed of reviews and numbers and it tallys them up.

No, scores from bigger sites are weighted more heavily than smaller sites, but they don't talk about how any of that works.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby Rainbow Curse owns.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Fremry posted:

Giant Bomb's basic review is: "I liked Canvas Curse. I was hoping it would be a lot like that. It looks great, but there's no variety. There are no Kirby powers (like beam and stuff like that). The boss fights aren't good and they get recycled."

Yeah I sorta agree with this. I hadn't been following it at all since I just got a Wii U a few months ago, saw the video of them making it out of clay, and then saw a video of the actual gameplay and my enthusiasm just deflated. It really is a mechanic that you'd see on a phone game, and I'm sure it's a lot more polished, but dammit I want a full fledged normal Kirby game: stealing powers, mixing them maybe, jumping/floating/running around, etc. I guess the Virtual Console provides for now.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lol at calling this soulless

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I remember seeing some people talk about it, but as it been confirmed at all that there are any more Club Nintendo rewards before they shut the program now?

I'm just curious if I should spend my coins now or if I should be waiting for something else.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Vintersorg posted:

It looks like a dumb game anyways and its a shame its mainly played on the gamepad instead of a giant rear end tv. I could see the Wiimotes being used to create paths kinda fun.

:catstare:

It's a shame the game is using the specific hardware made for a certain console that plays its gimmick (drawing the platforms for Kirby) and also multiplayer is a thing that also uses the television + Wiimotes.

It's fair to not like it, it's not fair to just call something a dumb game and dismiss it, because goddammn is this game adorable and I am super looking forward to playing it this weekend.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Agreed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Havoc904 posted:

I remember seeing some people talk about it, but as it been confirmed at all that there are any more Club Nintendo rewards before they shut the program now?

I'm just curious if I should spend my coins now or if I should be waiting for something else.

Someone else might know more but I think they just need to reveal the gold and plat rewards. Whatever is there is now is what you get.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Brightman posted:

Yeah I sorta agree with this. I hadn't been following it at all since I just got a Wii U a few months ago, saw the video of them making it out of clay, and then saw a video of the actual gameplay and my enthusiasm just deflated. It really is a mechanic that you'd see on a phone game, and I'm sure it's a lot more polished, but dammit I want a full fledged normal Kirby game: stealing powers, mixing them maybe, jumping/floating/running around, etc. I guess the Virtual Console provides for now.

there was one released last year go buy it

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

To be fair, it is Dan "I was going to put a quote here but this entire website will have to do" Rykert.

And while I like the look of Rainbow Curse I'm not so keen on that control scheme; Wooly World on the other hand...

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

All Kirby games own.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

All Kirby games own.

I like the platformers a lot and they are really drat good.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
If I weren't a poor I'd buy Triple Deluxe right now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Probably would have been better as a 3DS game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

WadeBartender posted:

there was one released last year go buy it

I thought people hated it, but maybe I'm confusing it for another Kirby DS game?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

triple deluxe on the 3ds is very good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

What is the average of 93, B, 2.5/5, no score, and a box score of [4,3,3,4]? Metacritic will tell you even if they have to make up data to fill things in!

And all that's before you get to the fundamental problems with video game reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Brightman posted:

I thought people hated it, but maybe I'm confusing it for another Kirby DS game?

no one hates any kirby game

• Locked thread