Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Good to see my guy starting to help on the defensive line. As long as my guy helps us stay in First League, he'll have done what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
First league's not a big deal after all. Just as I predicted, everything started going right after nutmeg 2 was attained. You are all welcome, crab mates

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey! Glad to hear that Layoff Pass is occasionally useful.

I'm getting nervous about a gap at GK in two years if we can't get the money together to extend Coward. But it's hard to justify training up another goalie in the meantime...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think my dude looks to really need that skill speed boost

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Hey! Glad to hear that Layoff Pass is occasionally useful.

I'm getting nervous about a gap at GK in two years if we can't get the money together to extend Coward. But it's hard to justify training up another goalie in the meantime...
We’ll just sell one of our three star defenders in order to have enough. *runs for cover*

To be serious: We have three players hitting the age 30 barrier soonish, so money shouldn’t be a problem.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 11, 2023

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We probably should start training a new goalie as soon as a new 3*+ option is made available to us. It will take time to grow those attributes.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Kanthulhu posted:

We probably should start training a new goalie as soon as a new 3*+ option is made available to us. It will take time to grow those attributes.

I refuse to accept anything less than a 4* goalie, and I also refuse to expend resources on finding one beyond mashing base Youth Rivalry. Coward doesn’t need Stamina, he can play until he’s 65. If we’re allowing ourselves to splurge by shelling out for and losing sale value on one player, GK seems like the position to do it at.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Maybe if we place our future new goalkeeper to play on the midfield he will gain attribute levels faster, given the position xp bonus

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Kanthulhu posted:

Maybe if we place our future new goalkeeper to play on the midfield he will gain attribute levels faster, given the position xp bonus

Doesn't work that way. To gain the position xp bonus for midfielders, you have to actually be a midfielder by class. And if you're a midfielder by class, you can't crosstrain to goalkeeper.

PokeyTax posted:

I refuse to accept anything less than a 4* goalie, and I also refuse to expend resources on finding one beyond mashing base Youth Rivalry. Coward doesn’t need Stamina, he can play until he’s 65. If we’re allowing ourselves to splurge by shelling out for and losing sale value on one player, GK seems like the position to do it at.

I know there's some sarcasm involved here, but for those not entirely familiar with these mechanics:

- Nobody can play past age 40. Playing past age 36 requires a large Glory investment for convincing. Playing past 33 means you can't be sold, period. So if we are going to sell someone for even a highly reduced value, 32 is the last age to do that at.
- I also find it amusing for one coach, when we typically get about 10 coaches voting on the low end, to say 'I refuse to accept' as if you have the power to refuse to accept anything all on your own.
- If Coward is still here by the time we reach Continental play, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, he most definitely will need stamina.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 11, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

ilmucche posted:

I think my dude looks to really need that skill speed boost

Is this an idle musing, or an official change in your player instructions?

Arcturas posted:

In terms of the money, DTurtle is correct. There's no good reason for us not to be able to afford extending him. The accountants will probably choke on the cost, but we'll be selling players, continuing to bring in enough money from sponsors/ticket sales to at least on average cover the other contracts plus a small buffer, etc.

The real issues with Coward, without going so far as to say what we should do about them, are that:

A) Anyone coming out of the Academy will be worse than him both in attributes and skills. Doesn't matter if they are a 5-star, that will still be the case. So ...
B) We will either spend the time training one for years while Coward is still around, or we will have a significant drop-off from what he is capable of doing. There is no door #3.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Offseason

Torrannor wraps up his skill training with L3 Long Pass.

We take first in draws, draws that were scoreless, and draws that weren't scoreless. We did all kinds of draws.

Not as spectacular as last year, but Coward once again leads the league in saves.

Top Perfomers

Goals

1. Twovery Best - 9
2. Kyoon Griffey Jr. - 7
3. Dragongem - 3
4. Three others tied with 2

I expect this to be what we look like for a while; our top two goalscorers should gradually become more effective. The wild-card is whether Kanthulhu can do more than get high on his own Nutmeg supply after he gets trained as an AM. He's a little over halfway there, so there's plenty of work to do and I wouldn't expect him to be ready to score in the next year. Maybe the year after.

Assists

1. AJ_Impy - 10
2. Fat Samurai - 4
3. Arcturas - 3
4. Torrannor - 2

The emergence of crossing plays as our most commonly used weapon has also helped Impy pad his stats.

Tackles

1. Torrannor - 34
2(t). PokeyTax - 25
2(t). Nizaha - 25
4. ilmucche - 19
5. Quackles - 13

New career high here for Torranor, breaking his previous best of 28 set last season. Of course he had plenty of help as well.

Saves

1. Coward - 48

Man of the Match

1(t). Coward - 2
1(t). Kyoon Griffey Jr. - 2
1(t). Nizaha - 2
1(t). Dragongem - 2
1(t). Twovery Best - 2

4 others had 1 each. We're definitely spreading the honors around quite thinly here.

Interesting set of options. You can make a case for any of them I think. After pondering, I go with King's Menu. We'll take the sure payment per match.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The other option was a 3-star G. I knew better than to even ask if people wanted to send back our first 4-star ever. DTurtle, your first player is historic. We need the usual:

- Attribute Focus
- Advanced Class
- Skill Choice

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A special note to the Coaches; with our first 4-star youth we have now begun the final exam.

The first 15 years can be thought off as on-the-job training. Our run of annual improvement in placing has now reached eight years consecutive and I expect it to continue. Never before have we had players who could rightly be starters on a world-class squad. We now have our first; more will follow. It's up to all of you to assemble them intelligently into the finest club not just in Germany, but in the world.

This final exam will continue until one of two things happen; we win consecutive world championships, or we give up, frustrated in spinning our wheels and failing to get there.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Punchable Ex-Faces

- CD Jossar (31, 1*, L 24)

Jossar moved to his third club early last year; Lotte didn't pay a cent to get him from Rostock. That's ... a bit insulting. He had 20 tackles and a MoM in 15 matches for his new club, who won the Amateur League title and bounced back up to Third League. Lotte has been a very stable club there overall; at one point they finished 9th, the worst spot to not get relegated, for a string of six out of seven years.

- AM ally_1986 (34, 0*, L 14)

After another year of not playing at all, ally decided it was time to call it a career; this is our final report on him. The timing of this is rather incredible, as Potsdam was 2nd in the Amateur League. It would have been his first chance to not play in a higher tier instead of not playing at the bottom.

In eight years for Potsdam, ally played in 8 matches, accumulating 2 assists. Prior to that, he played here for 115 matches, with 4 MoM, 43 goals, and 29 assists. Safe to say he didn't exactly flourish once he left. But hey, he is our first true Punchable to officially retire. So ... yay?!?

- CM Average Lettuce (31, 0*, L 18)

Things might be looking up in Zwickau; they finished 9th, narrowly retaining their spot in the Third League. That's the first time they've ever managed that feat. Average Lettuce continues to be an unimportant regular, recording a single assist in 24 appearances.

- GK NiftyBottle (32, 0*, L 16)

Nifty is still going strong for Potsdam, leading the Amateur League with 17 saves and tying his career-high with 7 tackles. 1 MoM as well in 18 matches. As a result, he's back in the Third League for just the second time in his career and first since leaving us. Could be a good way for him to finish off his career.

- SW Insurrectionist (33, 2*, L 36)

30 matches, 27 tackles, and a pair of goals. That's Insurrectionist's second-highest tackle total, and best since we sold him. It wasn't enough to keep Meppen in the Second League though.

- CD Tevery Best (28, 0*, L 18)

16 tackles in 24 matches ... but Saarbrucken still gets relegated, back down to the Amateur ranks. Tevery Best may just reach Level 20 yet ...

- FW ShadowedFlame (30, 3*, L 47)

This freight train keeps on truckin'. Career-high 28 goals, nearly one per outing, and 3 MoM awards, along with adding another four levels.

- GK BraveLittlToaster (24, 1*, L 28)

Krefeld appears stuck in the middle of the Third League. BLT got himself one of each color card, still played 21 matches, with one MoM, 4 tackles, and 18 saves.

- MF Odd Wilson (31, 2*, L 42)

Odd Wilson backed up a spectacular year with a much better one. I didn't think that was possible. 11 MoM in 26 matches. Just think about that for a second. 60 tackles, and 13 assists. Wiesbaden finished 2nd, and promotes to Second League. Good thing we didn't get ourselves relegated ... Better than two tackles per match, from a midfielder. The most he had in any season with us was 25, less than half that many.

- LD PotatoManJack (30, 1*, L 29)

PMJ did quite well for himself in Schwerin; 24 matches, 3 MoM, 7 assists, and 12 tackles. Third League suits him quite well. After several 8th-place finishes in a row, the club did somewhat better to end 6th. 5th is their club peak, so they're pretty happy as well.

- CD megane (28, 1*, L 30)

Zwickau might well have been relegated if they hadn't added megane to Average Lettuce and the rest of their club. With 22 tackles in just 11 matches and 2 MoM as well in the second half of last year, he's become a crucial cog in their defense.

It increasingly seems as if we are benefiting German football as a whole with our training methods ...

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Competition Overview

Offensively, nothing really changed dramatically; we just got better at what we are doing in general. I would expect more of that to be our best chance at increasing our goals. Defensively, we took a nice bite out of the standard shots being scored, but wow is that a lot of cannon shots. Opponents also went for more feints over direct shots. The good news is that both of those are likely to be temporary. Getting a sweeper will cut down on the cannon shots, and Coward is training Reaction which will make the feints less successful. We're good defensively now, but not far from being exceptional. That may help our offense as well by allowing me to play the midfielders and forwards a little more.

Judging soley by star ranking, this might be the weakest First League field we've yet faced. Don't worry, we're still the only 2-star club around. From the top, Paderborn and Heidenheim both were sent straight back down, while Bremen had been promoted to Premier the year we showed up here, stayed for one season, then faltered. From below, we know Dresden and Bochum quite well of course. Bielefeld is new because they were relegated to Second League and basically switched with us three years ago, finished just out of the promotion spots two years ago, but got into third last year and came back.

Paderborn - 61 *, 33 skills, 55.2 ave. level
Bremen - 74 *, 49 skills, 69.4 ave.
Heidenheim - 62 *, 38 skills, 51.8 ave.
Augsburg - 75 *, 41 skills, 66.6 ave.
Duisburg - 59 *, 50 skills, 49.7 ave.
Regensburg - 55 *, 37 skills, 46.1 ave.
Furth - 48 *, 37 skills, 49.3 ave.
Hamburg - 66 *, 35 skills, 53.6 ave.
Backpfeifengesichter - 40 *, 40 skills, 35.1 ave
St. Pauli - 55 *, 44 skills, 45.4 ave.
Ingolstadt - 56 *, 38 skills, 53.2 ave.
Kiel - 42 *, 25 skills, 44.1 ave.
Old Berlin - 62 *, 45 skills, 46.3 ave.
Dresden - 49 *, 44 skills, 43.9 ave.
Bochum - 43 *, 35 skills, 41.8 ave.
Bielefeld - 46 *, 33 skills, 45.8 ave.

Bremen appears to be the class of the group and certain to bounce back up; they have mostly 4-star players and a number of them well-developed. I also think Augsburg gets in there after not missing by much last season. The third spot is relatively up for bid though and could go to a number of different clubs.

I think we really turned a corner late last year, and expect continued gradual improvement. We're +3.2 on the average attribute level from a year ago, are competitive in overall skill development, and the giftedness gap should close rapidly now. Even though relegation battles are fresh in our memory, I think a year from now we could be able to start thinking seriously about promotion, depending on what clubs we are facing at that point and whether our offense keeps getting better. This year is probably about establishing ourselves as a top-half club, and really making sure we are getting player development done across the entire roster. I think this season will tell us a lot about how far we have to go to make a run at sticking our nose into the Premier League.

All of 1-star players have hit their firmest ceiling; 10% xp gain at level 30, with the exception of Dragongem who will be there soon. Our composite experience has slid back to 55.3%, down 10% from last year and almost as low as it was two years ago. Basically what's happened is a number of players have hit new thresholds, so our attribute gains are plateau-ing somewhat more now.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm thrilled and depressed about getting a four-star midfielder with access to slide tackle. That was going to be my Hail Mary to replace Odd Wilson! Still, having a phenomenal midfielder with either interception or slide tackle or both seems like a long-term plan for success and really giving ourselves a chance to block off the midfield.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I am open to suggestions, hints and opinions as what direction I should go.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Feels like either you go all in on being a Defensive Midfielder, focus on tackle (since you get a level of intercept for free), or take UM and level both intercept and tackle, but of course that takes much longer to get all your skills. Could also go for UM and grab one of the defensive skills + layoff pass, but it does take a long time to level. No shooting skills/feint/nutmeg so probably not good for an AM.

But, there's also the potential option of being a wing midfielder- you've got slide tackle to take the ball, and 4 tile movement would let you get way up there to get in position, even without any special passing skills.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's a 17 year old who starts at a higher level than my 29 year old Punchable...

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Same advice Arcturas got applies; Universal Midfielder (MF) is a very strong, flexible, and safe choice. Even if he too ends up with Slide Tackle, it is in no way redundant to have two Odd Wilsons on field simultaneously (think about how much of our fortunes depended on whether OW Sr. was too tired to play, and how often Sage had to ration his Stamina). It’s generic, in the same way that Superman is generic.

Nea posted:

But, there's also the potential option of being a wing midfielder- you've got slide tackle to take the ball, and 4 tile movement would let you get way up there to get in position, even without any special passing skills.

Having Slide Tackle would make you a holy terror on your side of the field, yeah. Any class that can move multiple squares (LD/RD, MF, LM/RM, LF/RF, FW) gets huge mileage from Slide Tackle.

In your shoes I would take Nea’s suggestion and go LM or RM, take 2 Points Focus ASAP and work on Control. You will get enough residual Passing even without training it to cross effectively, you need minimal Defense and zero Accuracy, so what you want is Control to run anywhere you want, break autotackles, and cross at will. Drawing cheap fouls never hurts.

The difficult choice here is what to cross-train. LM/RM is obvious, and would need to be done immediately, but you could also specialize on a side instead and train LD or LF. Unlike training the opposite side of the pitch, you would remain quite effective while cross-training and wouldn’t be a burden, so it’s something you could even wait a year or two on to see what we need most.

The ideal Fullback has some combination of Passing or a pass skill, Defense or Slide Tackle, and Control, which you fully satisfy. It’s not flashy, and it looks silly without any Defense, but it’ll get the job done.

The ideal Wing Forward has Cannon Shot or Rainbow Feint, but Slide Tackle is good too and your ability to pull a Dragongem for penalties would be intact. They don’t know all you can actually do in the box is Power Shot for a corner. Again, this relies on rushing 2 Points in Focus, because while you don’t need to have titanic Control, you’re not going to have any without that. Not an obvious choice, and we’d prefer to see more Control to start with, but Face Needs Goals Badly.

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 11, 2023

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

DTurtle posted:

I am open to suggestions, hints and opinions as what direction I should go.

Looking at your options, here's my thoughts:

Interception is really only good on Defensive Midfielders, and your Defence is abysmal, which means it is also the stat you are least likely to advance in without focusing training on it. Even then, chances are that without improving attribute focus you'll still end up with most of your points going to other attributes. In other words, it would take you forever to get good, and it's quite likely you would not actually come close to fulfilling your potential by the time you part with the team for one reason or another.

You don't really seem cut out for an Attacking Midfielder, either. Layoff Pass is good for them, but it would take you a while to learn and you would be fully committing to being a passing AM because of your mediocre Accuracy. And we already have two AMs with Kanthulhu struggling to become a third (it's actually really hard to train an AM).

High Passing and access to Slide Tackle or Layoff Pass does set you up for a CM job pretty drat well. Most AI plays come through the midfield, and having a mobile player with the ability to take the ball away in that area is really advantageous for restarting plays and counterattacking. Often it lets you skip or shorten midfield possession battles, which are perhaps the most frustrating part of the game in a great many matches. Layoff Pass is good for passing to the wings, which has a similar effect with plays starting from our back line. Moreover, don't sleep on the CM Passing bonus - it would allow you to plant accurate Lofted Passes at almost any distance pretty much from the day you pin the C in front of the M. This almost completely neutralises opposing Defensive Midfielders. And then there is also the free Pressing, which is quite useful at this level of play (although IME it does drop off when you enter Premier League, at least for the first few seasons).

A Slide Tackle winger is a great thing to have, letting you completely shut down plays on that side of the field and, with your high Passing, launch effective crosses into the box. But there's a catch. Most AI plays go through the midfield, and you're never guaranteed to have an opponent on your side of the field, or to have a clean run at the cross. This means that until you cross-train into the other wing midfield position, you are very liable to be a luxury that won't make it to the field because we need some other position as a priority. My first four-star player was a wingback. You know what happened to him? By the time I sold him because he was ageing out, he hadn't even hit the first XP dropoff threshold. I just didn't have the coaching infrastructure to make full use of his potential when he played half the games at most. This is less pronounced with wing midfielders, but still a factor.

Finally, a Universal Midfielder is a safe, extremely versatile pick, although I will say with your skill options it seems less enticing than usual. Slide Tackle/Layoff Pass is a decent combination, letting you take the ball for free and pass it for free, but not a world-beating one, either.

Also this:

Pokeytax posted:

In your shoes I would take Nea’s suggestion and go LM or RM, take 2 Points Focus ASAP and work on Control. You will get enough residual Passing even without training it to cross effectively, you need minimal Defense and zero Accuracy, so what you want is Control to run anywhere you want, break autotackles, and cross at will. Drawing cheap fouls never hurts.

The difficult choice here is what to cross-train. LM/RM is obvious, and would need to be done immediately, but you could also specialize on a side instead and train LD or LF. Unlike training the opposite side of the pitch, you would remain quite effective while cross-training and wouldn’t be a burden, so it’s something you could even wait a year or two on to see what we need most.

The ideal Fullback has some combination of Passing or a pass skill, Defense or Slide Tackle, and Control, which you fully satisfy. It’s not flashy, and it looks silly without any Defense, but it’ll get the job done.

The ideal Wing Forward has Cannon Shot or Rainbow Feint, but Slide Tackle is good too and your ability to pull a Dragongem for penalties would be intact. They don’t know all you can actually do in the box is Power Shot for a corner. Again, this relies on rushing 2 Points in Focus, because while you don’t need to have titanic Control, you’re not going to have any without that. Not an obvious choice, and we’d prefer to see more Control to start with, but Face Needs Goals Badly.

is bugfuck lunacy. Don't drop everything to start training Control. I beg you. It's your third-best stat and as such the third-most likely to gain points while levelling (Attribute Focus notwithstanding). And when they say you have enough Passing for reliable crosses already, that's a lie. You need at least 80 to cross reliably, because a lot of the time you'll be forced into bad crossing positions. High-Passing Low-Defence fullback makes no sense, because that's just an invitation for opposing wing forwards to dribble past you. A 22-Control wing forward makes no sense. You need high Control to beat the defenders on break-ins (penalties do not happen because you failed the roll, they happen because the defender has failed the roll).

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
I would go with Universal Midfielder, training slide tackle first, interception second and relying on your high passing attribute to get the ball to a forward player like one of our AMs. More like a defensive MF that shuts down plays or steals the ball, but less like a counterattacking player that steals the ball and immediatly sets a counter going. With these skills you won't be training your minimal propensity skill (layoff pass) so the skills learning phase will go faster.

The slide tackling CM suggestion sounds good too, but I'm not sure because I never played this game by myself and it looks like I'm terrible at deciding skills and positions, so you should probably do the opposite of what I would do.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Tevery Best posted:

bugfuck lunacy.

- Isn't that the best kind of lunacy?
- Tell us how you really feel!
- We already have a debate breaking out and we haven't even gotten to the Coaches Report yet
- Lunacy is arguably a feature, not a bug in this thread.

Jokes aside, I imagine DTurtle is probably already suffering from information overload. Despite that, a few clarifications of fact:

PokeyTax posted:

Any class that can move multiple squares (LD/RD, MF, LM/RM, LF/RF, FW) gets huge mileage from Slide Tackle.

DMs also fwiw.

Torrannor posted:

That's a 17 year old who starts at a higher level than my 29 year old Punchable...

Fun times. Our average recruit these days is almost as high as our average player on the squad, so don't take it too personally.

Tevery Best posted:

Interception is really only good on Defensive Midfielders, and your Defence is abysmal,

Fat Samurai has entered the chat. Also there have been many occasions when I couldn't get a long pass through to Griffey because a defender or CM had Interception.

Tevery Best posted:

until you cross-train into the other wing midfield position, you are very liable to be a luxury that won't make it to the field because we need some other position as a priority. My first four-star player was a wingback. You know what happened to him? By the time I sold him because he was ageing out, he hadn't even hit the first XP dropoff threshold. I just didn't have the coaching infrastructure to make full use of his potential when he played half the games at most.

Our playing time approach equalizes players playing to a significant degree - except when there's a shortage of backups like the situation with Coward being the only GK. If we're high in the table then the bottom teams are good for getting playing time for reserves, and vice versa; if we're near the bottom, the top clubs that we have no chance at beating. Most of the time everybody is playing in at least half of the matches. Of course, how effective they play when they are out there is another matter and definitely worth thinking about. Cross-training periods or players that don't fit well in their position still play, but it's definitely possible for them to be a liability.

I wouldn't say not getting a 4-star player to the first XP drop-off is all that worrisome. That's Level 70, and it takes a lot of good matches to get that high.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 11, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ready or not, here we go ...

Coaches Report: Summer 2037

Resources

Glory - 330
Money - 1.25M
Fans - 3.17K

Fan support is starting to edge up a little more consistently, although definitely not quickly. If we can continue to get wins a little more often, I'd expect Glory to come in consistently as well. Our Money balance is of course still recovering from the Academy purchase.

Full Experience 'Ceiling' by Giftedness *

- 0*: Level 5
- 1*: Level 15
- 2*: Level 30
- 3*: Level 50
- 4*: Level 70
- 5*: Level 90

This is the point at which a player starts getting reduced experience gains.

The only imminent skill is Kyoon Griffey Jr. picking up Cannon Shot, which probably won't do much initially for the first level. With a larger squad, we also have more players who are 'mature' and not doing any more training, we have some waiting on SL to be able to train, and just in general we have a larger number who have a longer time to wait between skills.

Lots of players approaching their next upgrade.

Extensions

Upgrades

The Youth Academy can support 9 additional staff upgrades

Youth Academy Giftedness *:

- Current: 19.7% 2*, 35% 3*, 45% 4*, 0.3% 5*
- Next Upgrade (est): 3% 2*, 34% 3*, 60% 4*, 3% 5*

The Training Grounds has reached its limit, and must be upgraded before any more staff upgrades can be purchased.

The Medical Centre is currently maxed out, and must be upgraded before any additional staff upgrades are possible.

Youth Work

There are two tiers of Youth Work; only one request per transfer window.

For 63 Glory:

- Request Amateur
- Request Random; advanced class chosen at random within each position group, i.e. LM, CM, etc. for Midfielders.

For each of these, please include the position group. For example, 'Request Random Forward' or 'Request Amateur Defender'.

- 2-player Youth Rivalry

For 143 Glory:

- Request Specific. Same as the previous requests, but we can name the advanced class we want, such as 'Request Sweeper' or 'Request Attacking Midfielder'. We can currently make this request for all position groups except forwards.
- 3-player Youth Rivalry

Important Note: If you vote for something we don't have the Glory for, your vote will be nullified. Also, if you vote in such a way that it could be taken as multiple options such as 'Request Forward' or 'Youth Rivalry', that will also be nullified until you clarify your intent. This is necessary to ensure all votes are counted accurately, and are for proposals that can actually be enacted.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Individual Instructions

AJ_Impy - Dedication tree, beginning with the XP branch

Dragongem - Stamina tree

Quackles - • Dedication - 3 points in an attribute
• Fan Favorite - sponsor 5% bonus

Kanthulhu - Crosstrain to AM, Accuracy focus until it reaches 80, then switch to Control

Kyoon Griffey Jr. - Fan Favourite Tree.

Nizaha - 30% XP boost, 70% XP Boost

PokeyTax - Fan Favourite Sponsor Bonus, then Fan Favourite Glory Bonus

ShadowFlame2 - Head Play then Slide Tackle for skills. Level 3 Skill Trainable, 2 points in Focus, 30% XP, 70% XP, 3 points in Focus, Second Skill Trainable.

Torrannor - Finish Fan Favourite tree

Twovery Best - 30% faster skill training, L3 Trainable, 70% faster skill training, 2 Attribute Points in Focus, +30% XP, +70% XP, 3 Attribute Points in Focus.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Routine Contracts

- DF Quackles; 1 year for 30,690
- D Odder Wilson; 3 years for 95,216
- CF Kanthulhu; 1 year for 39,831

If no adjustments are made, this would cost 165,737. Approximately 1.08M Money would remain for other purposes.

Critical Contracts

After not having any last time, we have four in this window. Joy.

In the last cheap extension before hitting the third skill level category, we have CD/DM PokeyTax and DM Nizaha.

In the already-expensive, so do we want to keep them and for how long category, there is DF Torrannor and LF/RF Dragongem.

Stadium Expansion

We are currently 1,170 Fans or 58.5% over our capacity of 2,000.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot

Critical Contracts - PokeyTax, Nizaha, Torrannor, and Dragongem
Stadium Expansion
Glory Investments
Other Proposals

Please include number of years with any extensions. Note that Glory Investments replaces the previous separation of Staff Upgrades and Youth Work; any such proposals fall under that category. The Coaches Report has instructions on the new Youth Work options that are worth reviewing.

We have a chance to significantly reshape the squad, or not. Haggle, debate, wring your hands, whatever, but by all means, Vote.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sell Torannor and Dragongem. Congratulations on hitting the big 3-0 soon, guys! Pack your bags and I promise I'll visit you in the retirement home.
Extend PokeyTax one year. Let's just get him to Head Play 3 and then offload. I don't want to make the hole in our defence any bigger than it needs to be.
Extend Nizaha three years.
Yes to Stadium Expansion.
Request Amateur Defender. We can't get a guaranteed wing forward, and we need to replace Torannor as well, so let's not risk another "Midfielder or Goalkeeper?" rivalry round.
Expand the Training Grounds. Hire a Bench Coach.

Nea is a LD/RD, right?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 11, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

I don't have any votes to make as usual, I just wanted to say that I didn't realize my dude has such a chin profile. Sheesh, might actually block a punch.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hey, question - when do players start getting reduced sale value?

While I wait for an answer, here's my tentative plan...

Extend PokeyTax and Nizaha 3 years. Lock in a deal while it's good.
Extend Torranor and DragonGem 1 year. They're both 29, we can think about selling them at 30.
Get a Second Youth Coach. If we bought a position coach we'd have to upgrade the training grounds and I don't want to pay for it.
2-Player Youth Rivalry. We can just afford it and a staffer.
No Stadium. Denied!
(Seriously, we can't afford it.)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Quackles posted:

While I wait for an answer, here's my tentative plan...

Extend PokeyTax and Nizaha 3 years. Lock in a deal while it's good.
Extend Torranor and DragonGem 1 year. They're both 29, we can think about selling them at 30.
Get a Second Youth Coach. If we bought a position coach we'd have to upgrade the training grounds and I don't want to pay for it.
2-Player Youth Rivalry. We can just afford it and a staffer.
No Stadium. Denied!
(Seriously, we can't afford it.)

Generally speaking, they lose value every year, but most of the time they develop enough to offset that and more. However, there's a big drop-off starting at 30 and past age 32 nobody will buy them at all, nor will they accept any more contracts unless you shell out several hundred Glory.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Sell Torannor and Dragongem.
Extend PokeyTax one year.
Extend Nizaha three years.
Yes to Stadium Expansion.
Upgrade Training Grounds
Midfielder Coach
2-player Youth Rivalry

Midfielder Coach
I’m not just in it for the memes, boosting DTurtle/Arcturas/Kanthulhu is very valuable and Nizaha/Nifty also depend on their attributes to function.

Tevery Best posted:

And when they say you have enough Passing for reliable crosses already, that's a lie. You need at least 80 to cross reliably, because a lot of the time you'll be forced into bad crossing positions.

I think 80 would be good, but DTurtle can get there without training Passing given his stat spread. What would you see as ideal stats for a WM? Even outside the box, breaking autotackles is good and the enormous disadvantage means it’s not a pipe dream.

I’m not going to deny going straight WF would be Backpfeifen lunacy, but I think once you have moderate Control and are earning WF specialization XP whether you want to or not, it’s defensible. As a backup job the ability to squeeze out a goal when there’s no other way is worth considering.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

The other option was a 3-star G. I knew better than to even ask if people wanted to send back our first 4-star ever. DTurtle, your first player is historic. We need the usual:

- Attribute Focus
- Advanced Class
- Skill Choice
I will start with a focus on passing, become a CM, and train my slide tackle skill.

For the other votes:
Sell Torannor and Dragongem - they are just about to turn 30 and lose value.
Extend PokeyTax for three years - we need as big a roster as possible.
Extend Nizaha three years - he‘s about to become a lot more expensive.
Yes to Stadium Expansion - we have the money left over, and the expansion will pay off sometime.
Upgrade Training Grounds - we need it.
Midfielder Coach - not at all selfish.
Two player Youth Rivalry - we need good players everywhere.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 11, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Tevery Best posted:

Nea is a LD/RD, right?

Correct. On your vote, I need to confirm whether or not you want to Upgrade the Training Grounds. If not, then the Bench Coach vote isn't possible. There is plenty of money for it in your plan if you want to do the upgrade.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

DTurtle posted:

Youth Rivalry - we need good players everywhere.

I need to clarify which Youth Rivalry you mean here. As it happens, we can only afford the 2-player one if you want to add a coach, or perhaps rethink your ballot if you meant the 3-player one.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I need to clarify which Youth Rivalry you mean here. As it happens, we can only afford the 2-player one if you want to add a coach, or perhaps rethink your ballot if you meant the 3-player one.
Ups, that got lost in my back and forth editing. It’s the two player version (added to the post).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Quackles posted:

Just to add on to what Tevery Best said:

- Value declines on the player's birthday every year, by an increasing percentage each year. He's 100% correct that for most of a player's career this is more than off-set by the improvements they can make.
- Generally speaking, it peaks when all skills are trained. However, another major factor is how close they are to getting the Fan Favourite transfer fee boosts. In this case, Dragongem already has those so has peaked already; he's not going to get SLs fast enough to off-set the age decline, no skills left to get, and attribute levels are going to come very slowly as he's at the hardest cap there. Torrannor on the other hand also has no skills left to get and has hit the hardest attribute cap, but has not gotten the last transfer fee boost. He's at 160% of his base value, having gotten the first one, but the second one will boost him to 230%. That's a 44% increase to factor in, if he gets one more SL.
- Whether it's worth waiting for something like that in terms of sale price depends, along with whatever value we'll get just from having a player around for another year or if that's even a good idea, on how old they are (sharper decline in value with each year as mentioned) and how high their value is (higher the value, the more that will be lost).

All of this means that there's no simple answer such as '28 is always the best year to sell' or similar. It depends on the specifics for each player and it's just something you get used to judging over time.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Strategic Sage posted:

Correct. On your vote, I need to confirm whether or not you want to Upgrade the Training Grounds. If not, then the Bench Coach vote isn't possible. There is plenty of money for it in your plan if you want to do the upgrade.

Amended. I didn't notice we were at the cap already.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Coaches Ballot

Critical Contracts:
Sell Dragongem and Torranor

Extend for three years PokeyTax and Nizaha

Stadium Expansion: NOPE

Glory Investments: Give me the Three players Rivalry - thats three shots at a 5* player, people! I know the odds are very low, but it could happen!

Other Proposals: That's it, I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

In that case, sell Dragongem but extend Torranor for a year because we want him to finish the fan favorite tree.