Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know, Anderson's Mortal Kombat 1 is hailed because it did not insult or embaress fans of the franchise, unlike most every other movie based on a game. In context it's a cinematic triumph.

The biggest disappointment for fans was the lack of a Sub Zero vs Scorpion fight, and that was excused by having the villian say they were 'The greatest rivals, now slaves to my power,' which was fine, instead of 'these two ninja brothers are eager to destroy you,' or other such nonsense you might expect.

Unless you're a fan of the franchise thinking it's nothing special is very understandable.

It masterfully clears a low bar, is what I'm saying, which becomes more and more of an achievement every time another one of these films comes out.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like TENET a lot though I have to agree with most criticism of it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I'd say the new MK clears that bar, it's just that it's very clear that an otherwise great cast and great choreographers were let down by a very lumpy script and a fresh director that didnt seem very confident in the fights (modern fight scenes have a million cuts and sweeps because the actors suck at fighting, you hired an entire cast of people skilled at making fake fighting look good, linger on those shots!)

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID?

Judas, Nobody, Concrete Cowboy, SCJL

Got a lot of faith in Dune, The Suicide Squad looks like it will be "GotG but James Gunn gets to be a little more brutal"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Get better actors for the first MK movie, choregraph the fights (like this new film has done), tighten the script a bit and give it an actual budget so the sets look good and there's actual fatalities etc and the first MK movie would be a legit good movie, so all you really need to do is remake that film, but without Paul WS Anderson. Like lol if you think we'd be comparing it to Citizen Kane or whatever but you could make a really entertainingly good action movie out of that franchise.

Kinda assumed they were going this route until I heard about Cole Young and saw they included Scorpion and Sub-Zero backstory then immediately knew it'd end up like AHS said.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Basically what I'm saying is let the John Wick people remake Mortal Kombat

Considering how the latter movies go into the stupid lore the same people ARE in charge at Mortal Kombat.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 24, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:smith:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID? It's all trash - Trolls World Tour, Mulan, WW84, Kong vs Godzilla, now Mortal Kombat.

The movie studios aren't releasing their best stuff on VOD. They're dumping the poo poo they know is bad.

:rip: DUNC :rip:

i thought trolls was like the last movie to release before the lockdown

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

If they can squeeze another movie out of WB they have literally everything set up for the next movie to be just the tournament

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Tom and Jerry wasn't completely awful.

edit: Just to clarify a little, when the two were on screen doing violent poo poo like back in the cartoons, it was great. Anytime the humans showed up it was loving awful.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 24, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neurolimal posted:

If they can squeeze another movie out of WB they have literally everything set up for the next movie to be just the tournament

Can't wait to see Cole Slaw fight Jeff Badman in the empty gravel pit set under the watchful eye of weird swishy femme Shang Tsung.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Can't wait to see Cole Slaw fight Jeff Badman in the empty gravel pit set under the watchful eye of weird swishy femme Shang Tsung.

Cant believe they would besmirch the integrity of shang tsung like this

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Since WB has only put out turds (excluding Judas and the Black Messiah and Tom & Jerry as I haven't seen them) this year lets see what they still having working through the colon.

Those Who Wish Me Dead - Trailer doesn't look awful
In the Heights - Musical, not really my thing. But it's based on the musical stage play by Lin-Manuel Miranda! Oh, Hard pass then.
Space Jam: A New Legacy - Trailer looked like poo poo, no way this is good.
The Suicide Squad - I believe in James Gunn.
Dune - Lets be real it's going to disappoint.
Cry Macho - Clint Eastwood's recent track record has been spotty to say the least.
King Richard - About the Williams sisters, could be good
Untitled fourth Matrix film - Can't be worse than the 3rd Matrix, right? Right?...

What a lineup.

WB just handling distribution on these 3 so they don't count.
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
Malignant
The Many Saints of Newark

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Them doing a Conjuring movie on the most "these people are awful frauds" case they worked on is amazing to me. The Suicide Squad trailers were promising.

Neurolimal posted:

Cant believe they would besmirch the integrity of shang tsung like this

As a kid so many others couldn't say Shang Tsung right (they pronounced the T despite us having a Soviet classmate who had a silent T to start his last name).

Playing re:Views in the background as I game and wtf Mike has never seen Scanners how the gently caress does that happen.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

please do not say these things about DUNC. it will be beautiful and perfect and not at all a bloated mess.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jon Irenicus posted:

please do not say these things about DUNC. it will be beautiful and perfect and not at all a bloated mess.

It can only be half a bloated mess since it's a two parter and the second one will never be made

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What good movie has been released on VOD during COVID? It's all trash - Trolls World Tour, Mulan, WW84, Kong vs Godzilla, now Mortal Kombat.
Straight to HBO Max isn't the same thing as VOD

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0gFidlro8

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i thought trolls was like the last movie to release before the lockdown

Nope, its theatrical release got derailed by lockdowns when everyone thought lockdowns would only be 2-4 weeks (:lol:)

It was interesting, because even though it made less total revenue than the previous Trolls movie, Universal actually made more profit off of releasing it on VOD (granted, they are owned by Comcast, a major VOD provider) than they did the previous Trolls movie. So they made more money even though less people saw it. People thought that was the death knell of theaters, but then no other movie seemed to follow suit. (Granted, no one knows Mulan's actual numbers, but :lol:)

So its success on VOD may have been due to the relative newness of COVID lockdowns and people not realizing things were going to be hosed for a year, so being more willing to pay $20 or whatever to get a new movie. Oh, also the fact it was a kids movie.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

for real the only movie I have any hopes for in the next calendar year is The Green Knight. it's looking pretty dire out there

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jon Irenicus posted:

for real the only movie I have any hopes for in the next calendar year is The Green Knight. it's looking pretty dire out there

I'm looking forward to James Bond despite the last one being bad.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

No Time to Die and Halloween Kills are the 2 I'm most looking forward too.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm looking forward to James Bond despite the last one being bad.

what? it's April of 2021. that must have surely come out by now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They delayed Halloween Kills to this year thinking theaters would be open by fall. talk about owned.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As a normie who have never played any MK games, I enjoyed the first act and last act of the new movie. The story is a total mess. Outside of the final fight, a lot of the rivalries are not setup or built up. Also why spend so much time on the individual super, they are just stupid magic poo poo. I also don't like the way they put cgi effect on the eyes, I think it ruins most of the acting. Final fight is pretty good, creative use of cgi.

I must prefer Liu Kang and Johnny Cage from the old movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Best part of MK21

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Best part of MK21

Scary Movie 3 and 4 both rock so much rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that Chris Elliott?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

priznat posted:

Is that Chris Elliott?

Yup. He was the bright spot of Scary Movie 2.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mortal Kombat wasn't that bad. The middle was boring, but you can just scroll your phone until the next action scene. The fights and fatalities were pretty good, if not jumpy. The movie fails in the end, though, because they setup someone getting uppercut off a bridge and into a pit of spikes but loving blew it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Why isn't there a Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball movie?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Why isn't there a Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball movie?

Expect a visit from the Feminist Thought Police any minute

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Endless Trash posted:

Expect a visit from the Feminist Thought Police any minute

And thread pervert rereg JuchaLones

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

you could have easily tightened up this script without cole young. why wasnt this Luke Cage?

Sonya blade looks a lot like Anya from Buffy.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Some interview said they wanted an everyman POV so Johnny Cage was the most obvious choice but they wanted more diversity so they didn’t want a white Johnny so they made up a new character instead of doing the not-stupid option and just casting someone who isn’t white as Johnny Cage.

We were robbed

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Tried to watch the new Mortal Kombat after work. Fell asleep sometime after Kano got his laser eye, during the long slog at Raiden's temple. When I finally woke up I decided to try again and, since the last thing I remembered was Kano's laser eye scene, I scrubbed through looking for that. Surely that would have been somewhere around 1/3rd into the movie, right? Nope. It's just past the 1 hour mark, over halfway through.

I made it through the rest of the movie, and yeah it was pretty rough. I thought there might be an after-credits sequence, so I scrolled to the end of the credits and noticed that this movie managed to get tax credits from two different countries. Both the Australian and Canadian tax credit agencies have big logos and are thanked (and I think that there might also be some New South Wales and British Columbia, so there might have been state/province-level tax credits as well). All those tax credits and all they could do to depict Outworld was do some color correction that looked like bad day-for-night.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Everyman POV is literally the worst option though.

Liu Kang is fine. Hell, Raiden and Jax are fine. Open the movie with Jax already full of the knowledge he needs and Raiden is like "yo tournament time"

Again, audiences are a zillion times smarter than Hollywood thinks they are.

One of the biggest franchises on earth right now stars a raccoon and a tree who are vaguely backstoried. We're fine, Hollywood. Just throw the weird poo poo at us.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/doctorpurpleman/status/1383118411325177856

Wow WB loving up their own movies i just, i just cant believe it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Everyone: "stop doing this"

90 year old coke fiend executives: "I know better than you"

*5 seconds later*

90 year old coke fiend executives: "Obviously piracy and smart phones are why no one watches movies anymore"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Jax's special power is that his arms got the new patch and upgraded themselves. amazing.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

liu kang is dressed like ryu from steer fighter what the gently caress

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's just nuts to me that Mortal Kombat, the franchise about a fighting tournament where the fate of the world is at stake, chooses to make a movie where they not only choose to not have a fighting tournament where the fate of the world is at stake, but also make sure they spend the whole movie talking about the fighting tournament where the fate of the world is at stake.

If you're not actually going to do the tournament in your movie (which is loving stupid), at least don't go around talking about the super important tournament that doesn't even happen in your movie.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I will say that the dude who played Liu Kang was born for that role.

It's also funny that Shang Tsung is all "meh, they'll be back" about his dudes dying. None of it mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Scary Movie 1-4 are all really funny except for the stuff that's super dated like the Nike basketball thing RLM talked about but yeah the creepy hand dinner scene is just loving hilarious

Hell even James Woods is great in the second one