Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Johnny Cage punching goro in the balls and calling him an rear end in a top hat for breaking his sunglasses was a better moment than anything in mk2021 and his reward was not being in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

If you want every character to have a rich interconnected backstory where they spar with several memorable star wars characters you could just read EU comics

Snoke is just the boss who yells at ren to do his job, he exists so ren can cut him in half later, thats his role, he has a Watto or Lobot tier importance to the story, and this is good because not a single person here (me included) would have the patience for a Snoke background dive, cgi loser alien

Actually, no.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
The biggest TLJ mystery is what the gently caress happened to dexter jettsters 50s themed diner

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Snoke more like creatively Broke ammirite guyz

FlickWilson
Apr 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The winners of the 2021 Razzies are here.

41st Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Award “Winners”

WORST PICTURE

Absolute Proof

WORST ACTOR

Mike Lindell (The "My Pillow Guy," as "Himself") Absolute Proof

WORST ACTRESS

Kate Hudson / Music

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Maddie Ziegler / Music

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Rudy Giuliani (As “Himself) Borat Subsequent Movie-Film

WORST SCREEN COMBO

Rudy Giuliani & His Pants Zipper (Yes, That Really IS Rudy Giuliani!)
Borat Subsequent Movie-Film

WORST DIRECTOR

Sia / Music

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL

Dolittle

WORST SCREENPLAY

365 Days, Screenplay by Tomasz Klimala, Barbara Białowąs & Tomasz Mandes, Based on the novel 365 Dri by Blanka Lipińska

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

giving awards to Mike lindell seems like cheating

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Reality Protester posted:

and Rudy

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
the biggest question i have is who the hell wants to know the back story of mortal kombat characters

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
also im pretty sure i could write a better mortal kombat script if you gave me 30 days

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I refuse to call MyPillow Guy by his real, human name

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

also im pretty sure i could write a better mortal kombat script if you gave me 30 days

MODS

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tom Gorman posted:

I refuse to call MyPillow Guy by his real, human name

Cracky McPillowfuck, or Pillow Guy, or ALLEN! are all acceptable.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

“And then Sonya Blade enters the arena. She looks 15 but she’s actually 1000 years old and an ancient dragon god or something.”

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Sunk Dunk posted:

Here's how you write a better MK script:

-Keep that opening Scorpian Sub Zero fight cause that poo poo was cool
- Cole whatever his name is is introduced
- Raiden teleports them (Good guys: Sonya, Johnny Cage, Cole, Liu Kang THE ACTUAL HERO etc) to island

Cole: "Where are we?"

Raiden: "This is Shang Tsung's island, he's a bad guy, if you lose this tournament the world ends"

Cole: "hmm I dont know, sounds like some bullshit to me"

*Goro comes around the corner picks up Cole and rips him in half*

*Johnny Cage makes a funny quip*

-Tournament begins

go from there, that's literally the first 15 minutes

HOW CAN YOU gently caress THIS UP SO BADLY?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Was there even an official tournament in this movie

From what I remember it was just a long rear end Raiden cave training montage for the middle of it then at the end it's more like Shang Tsung's crew shows up and they start fighting and then it just kind of ends with that last fight

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Reality Protester posted:

I mean, it beats the hell out of the Razzies previous modus operandi of being weirdly homophobic, hating on prominent actresses, and/or going after anything they just deem too weird.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

And the second movie is set in Outworld, Shao Kahn is introduced (he's the big bad at the very end of the 90s movie), Scorpian is set free and fights for the good guys, and because it's literally set in another dimension/ planet you can introduce all sorts of cool new fighters. But nah they had to insert their fan fic character into the story I guess.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Endless Trash posted:

“And then Sonya Blade enters the arena. She looks 15 but she’s actually 1000 years old and an ancient dragon god or something.”

but how do her hogans look?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Endless Trash posted:

:lol:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Neurolimal posted:

If you want every character to have a rich interconnected backstory where they spar with several memorable star wars characters you could just read EU comics

Snoke is just the boss who yells at ren to do his job, he exists so ren can cut him in half later, thats his role, he has a Watto or Lobot tier importance to the story, and this is good because not a single person here (me included) would have the patience for a Snoke background dive, cgi loser alien

i don't think we need an actual background dive to snoke in tlj in so far as the mystery is solved guys, we now know that he turned to the darkside because he got stood up at prom once or w/e, we just needed snoke to be more than a dumb boss who just yells at ren who gets cut in half by him when he tantrums, because what we really needed was an explanation for how all this first order business came about because as it stands, the sequels and the OT are connected very poorly in terms of plot continuation and snoke seems like the best bet to tie it all together since he's at the centre of the empire coming back as the first order, why kylo falls, and why all the pieces of the galaxy have been shifting the way they have all these years

as far as the sequels go, it's almost like rotj never happened, it's like there's just this flash forward to an old, sad, traumatized luke who hid away all those years after bespin, there's an empire that was never thwarted that's still blowing up planets with superweapons, the rebels, still led by leia, are still on the backfoot with zero popular traction, han and leia never really got together except for this one-night love child, vader is still venerated by dorks as a great sith as tho he never turned his back on that, and as the sequels developed, palpatine himself just sorta never died?

there's a lot of stuff that could use some filling in, and that could have been fun too but the various directors kept dodging it - snoke doesn't have to be actual lynchpin if you have something else in mind, yeah, but the fact that there was nothing really emphasizes what a waste he was

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
How can you screw up "Blue Pajama Ninja fights Yellow Pajama Ninja while Pai-Mei watches from his throne and the winner removes the losers spine"?, come on son!

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Sunk Dunk posted:

but how do her hogans look?

Hulking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

"The empire didnt just disappear because you blew up a second death star & threw an old guy down a pit" was the most reasonable idea of the ST imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

AHH F/UGH posted:

Was there even an official tournament in this movie

From what I remember it was just a long rear end Raiden cave training montage for the middle of it then at the end it's more like Shang Tsung's crew shows up and they start fighting and then it just kind of ends with that last fight

they dont even fight Shang Tsung! you know, the final guy of the first video game.

they go to the freezing rained on mma gym. they beat up Kabal and the bat lady (I dont know which character that's supposed to be) a bit, then scorpion and sub zero show up, and they fight them too. then Shang Tsung shows up and says you've won, I'll see you at the tournament, then the movie ends. what the gently caress. that's not how you end movies.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i liked the part when sub zero and scorpion were fighting and talking to each other in their language (chinese or japanese, I honestly forget), and scorpion drops that he has a new name now, it's Scorpion, in english. because ancient asiatic warriors choose bog standard english tough guy names for themselves to tell other warriors about during combat.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

or the mysterious dragon tattoos that let you fight in the mortal kombat tournament. something the liu kang monks all know about. so they called it, in typical chinese monk fashion, 'Arcana'.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

People picking foreign language words that they think sound cool is a universal standard, he should have declared that his new name is Hamburger Feelgood

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Neurolimal posted:

"The empire didnt just disappear because you blew up a second death star & threw an old guy down a pit" was the most reasonable idea of the ST imo

Yeah, the foundational problem with the ST was in The Force Awakens, when they decided that Return of the Jedi really was the end of the Empire, and there was a New Republic, but somehow they was also a powerful, villainous First Order fighting a scrappy underdog Resistance.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

about half way through, Cole Slaw, who has really nothing to do at this point, develops literally Plot Armor, and immediately becomes a rear end kicker.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I want a MK movie faithful to the game with half the cast played by two actors and a claymation Goro

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Neurolimal posted:

i would agree with you but the empire not disappearing overnight is more an old EU idea, the sequel trilogy itself conceded that the empire was dead (even tho it's really obvious they wanted it around), that's why it felt compelled to present the first order as a brand new organization that's become a novel threat that's only aping the empire out of misplaced nostalgia

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

The sequels should've been them winning the peace instead of JJ hitting a reset button with a new superweapon.

I remember being bummed in Force Awakens when it turned out Snoke was a hologram. Since holograms always have to be shimmery and blue I thought he was some giant alien and thought that was cool as hell.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I want a MK movie faithful to the game with half the cast played by two actors and a claymation Goro

If I saw a stop motion Goro in a Mortal Kombat movie trailer I'd be hootin and hollerin

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i can really envision myself in the role of Cole McGrath, the hero of Mortal Kombat. he's a regular joe, just like me, and i could easily beat up Goro.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bonaventure posted:

i can really envision myself in the role of Cole McGrath, the hero of Mortal Kombat. he's a regular joe, just like me, and i could easily beat up Goro.

I too enjoy the Everyman character. I will purchase a ticket to my local cinemaplex for Mortal Kombat

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

The EU did it better. You've got the Imperial Remnant vs the New Republic. Perfect. Everything you need to know is in the names. You don't need to go more complicated than that in your space stories for babies.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bitterandtwisted posted:

The EU did it better. You've got the Imperial Remnant vs the New Republic. Perfect. Everything you need to know is in the names. You don't need to go more complicated than that in your space stories for babies.

...and now The Mandalorian is basically doing this, to much acclaim.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I watched mk last night while drunk and high with friends on discord and I advise being hosed up when you watch it cause we were just hooting and hollering for kano and when Kung lao owned the bat chick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Im not entirely sure what mysteries people wanted explained in TLJ

How hungry were you really for a Snoke origin story

We got the Snoke origin story in RoS! Palpatine grew him in a big vat.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I watched mk last night while drunk and high with friends on discord and I advise being hosed up when you watch it cause we were just hooting and hollering for kano and when Kung lao owned the bat chick.

Easily the best fatality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
just thinking i am basically cole slaw