Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm only like 5 hearts in and just bopping about, trying to read and not read what you guys are posting. I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I've not bought a video game in maybe five years and something compelled me to buy this game and a switch. Unfortunately I fear my expectations on any other games from now on will be exceedingly high. Oh well, no regrets.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

lifts cats over head posted:

I've not bought a video game in maybe five years and something compelled me to buy this game and a switch. Unfortunately I fear my expectations on any other games from now on will be exceedingly high. Oh well, no regrets.

This game should come with a warning - playing it will make you hypersensitive to invisible walls. Except for some convenience functions (which might come with the next DLC?), I feel like Zelda has basically become the new gold standard for open world games out of nowhere. There's exactly four invisible walls in the game, plus a few death planes, PERIOD

I'm playing Nier Automata right after this one and I'm basically going mad from all those giant inpenetrable gaps in buildings

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Spergatory posted:

So after 120 Shrines (again) and all inventory space upgrades, I decided it was time to face Ganon for the second-- and, for now, final-- time.

This time, I wanted it to be... poetic. So I reforged all the Champion Weapons and put them in my inventory, but I didn't use them. Nor did I use any of the Champion Abilities. Not at first. No, for the Castle proper, I used all my Guardian farming to max out my Ancient Gear and buy a full supply of Ancient Weapons, and went into Hyrule Castle as some kind of terrifying automaton killing machine. Not a single turret or Guardian Flyer was left in one piece. Shiekah technology tore itself apart that day, so that evil could use it no more. For Calamity Ganon's first phase, I fought him with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield, as every good Link should. But when he went into his second phase, I went into mine. He put his shield up, and I turned on all four Champion Abilities, traded the Hylian Shield for the Daybreaker, and the Master Sword for the Champion Weapons. This time, my friends and I were going to beat up Ganon together. So the Daybreaker bounced Ganon's laser back at him, and the Great Eagle Bow followed it up with a volley of Ancient Arrows. When he crawled up the walls, Urbosa's Fury knocked him down and the Scimitar of the Seven greeted him at the bottom. When he swung at me, his might broke against Daruk's Protection, shortly before the Boulder Breaker broke against his face. I... well, okay, so the part where I struck him a few times with each weapon and then just loving threw them at his face so they would break, that wasn't exactly poetic. But he didn't have that much health left, and I thought it was important that everyone got their turn. :colbert: Fittingly, I struck the final blow by jamming the Lightscale Trident into Ganon's forehead. I thought it kind of a shame that Mipha and Revali's champion abilities didn't get to see any action, but then, the fight wasn't over.

Things against Dark Beast Ganon went smoothly, until the very end of the fight. Trying to get myself into a good position to hit the glowing weak point on his underside, I accidentally steered myself into the path of a beam that all the lashing of my 5-speed horse couldn't get me out of. Fortunately, Mipha was there to patch up my wounds one last time. Sadly, she couldn't do the same for my horse. So when the final weakpoint made its appearance on his forehead, there was really only one thing left to do. Revali's Gale carried me into the sky, and the Bow of Light delivered the final blow.

Tomorrow, I pass the Wii U, and this game with it, along to my little brother to enjoy. I've had my time with it. I'll be writing up a post with my final thoughts pretty soon, but the long and short of it is; I have never gotten lost in a game the way I've gotten lost in this one. Me giving it to my little bro is one part altruism, one part self-defense. I know myself. If I kept this game, I would keep devouring it until there was nothing left, and this just isn't a game you were meant to do that with. I want there to still be things to discover when Hard Mode comes around. I want to leave a chance, if only a small one, to get lost again.

Post username combo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lifts cats over head posted:

Yeah, this game has basically ruined open world games for me. I can't go backwards now because all I'll be thinking is "I could be playing botw and having more fun"

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

This game should come with a warning - playing it will make you hypersensitive to invisible walls. Except for some convenience functions (which might come with the next DLC?), I feel like Zelda has basically become the new gold standard for open world games out of nowhere. There's exactly four invisible walls in the game, plus a few death planes, PERIOD

I'm playing Nier Automata right after this one and I'm basically going mad from all those giant inpenetrable gaps in buildings

Yeah, I already had a tough time with FF15 with the invisible walls, control restrictions, and large empty areas, but if I went back to it now, it would be torture.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Me too!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Post username combo

Been seeing this a lot lately. At this point, it's about as reliable as "It's free! :haw:" when something doesn't scan at the grocery store checkout. Do people think I just picked this name out of a hat or something?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I definitely had my funniest botw moment last night.

One of the things I like doing most in-game is getting really nice photos of everything in the Compendium: shots where the lighting, positioning, background, etc are perfect. I noticed that my current photo for "apple" was kind of poo poo, so as I played the game I looked for apples that photographed well. I checked some trees, but those don't photograph that well because they're usually covered in leaf and shadow branch shadows. I tried dropping apples on the ground, but it was difficult to have them land in the perfect spot or not roll away.

Later, exploring by horseback, I stumbled onto one of those line of frog statues where you have to offer apples: the lighting was absolutely perfect and the apples looked amazing in the baskets. I jumped off the horse, lined up my shot, repositioned the camera, zoomed in, said "perfect!" out loud. Then, one nanosecond before I hit the shutter button, the horse's head entered the frame and he ate the apple, then proceeded to walk down the line of statues all by himself and eat the apples at each.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

One of the things I like doing most in-game is getting really nice photos of everything in the Compendium: shots where the lighting, positioning, background, etc are perfect. I noticed that my current photo for "apple" was kind of poo poo, so as I played the game I looked for apples that photographed well. I checked some trees, but those don't photograph that well because they're usually covered in leaf and shadow branch shadows. I tried dropping apples on the ground, but it was difficult to have them land in the perfect spot or not roll away.

Later, exploring by horseback, I stumbled onto one of those line of frog statues where you have to offer apples: the lighting was absolutely perfect and the apples looked amazing in the baskets. I jumped off the horse, lined up my shot, repositioned the camera, zoomed in, said "perfect!" out loud. Then, one nanosecond before I hit the shutter button, the horse's head entered the frame and he ate the apple, then proceeded to walk down the line of statues all by himself and eat the apples at each.

GOTYAY

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I just threw stuff in my inventory on the table in my house and took a picture of it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Every time I think my pictures for enemies like Bokoblins are good enough they continue to surprise me.

So like I was wearing a Bokoblin mask and hanging out near one of their camps when a Yiga member started to attack me. But I was far away enough from the camp that the 'blins didn't realize I wasn't one of them and once I dispatched the clan member one of them waddled over and stole the bananas that dropped. Dude just straight up devoured those bananas like nobody's business.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

This is especially annoying when you're trying to put the apple in the basket to get the korok seed and your horse starts eating all the apples. Horse please

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did the opposite once. I grabbed an apple off the floor right in front of Epona as she was going for it. I laughed and then felt like an rear end in a top hat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

After my beloved PonyDanza was killed by a wolf, I tamed a horse that I stasised a bokoblin off of, then got knocked off him by a moblin. I got knocked backwards, but the horse stayed there and kicked the moblin, doing some damage to him.

Hell yeah new horse buddy.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 19, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I've been avoiding Moblins all game because they look big and tough so it was very underwhelming to smack one and one-shot it. I laughed. But that time I did not feel like an rear end in a top hat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah, I already had a tough time with FF15 with the invisible walls, control restrictions, and large empty areas, but if I went back to it now, it would be torture.

It's probably a good thing I played FF15 before I played BOTW because holy hell, BOTW makes that game look like shiiiiiiiittt

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's probably a good thing I played FF15 before I played BOTW because holy hell, BOTW makes that game look like shiiiiiiiittt

FF15 has lovely food. That's about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

McDragon posted:

I did the opposite once. I grabbed an apple off the floor right in front of Epona as she was going for it. I laughed and then felt like an rear end in a top hat.

I feed my Giant Horse, Galloughs, apples and carrots from my hand because he's a good boy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Norns posted:

FF15 has lovely food. That's about it.

Final Fantasy 15 and Metal Gear Solid V are both games I kinda liked at first until I realized how unfinished and lovely they were and kind of failed in the transition to a big, open world game.

Breath of the Wild actually succeeded and I beat the game and have over half the shrines and it's still good. It's a game made in the year 2017 that actually feels like a fully-fledged, finished game with a lot of polish. It's kinda hosed that's so rare these days.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

Haha, that's what I've been doing too - getting the PERFECT photo for the lovely album. Half to get a good photo, half to actually recognize what the hell an entry stands for.

It keeps reminding me that there is no Minitendo Gallery, though :( Man, what I'd give for a little museum full of creature figurines, each with a silly little bit of trivia. I might ALMOST not mind having to track down the random wanderers all over the world. Gotta get a picture of meat man

...my favorite wanderer is the random fisherman from Lurein Village, who keeps getting beat up by bokoblins and then defiantly states that he'll never go back

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

After my beloved PonyDanza was killed by a wolf, I tamed a horse that I stasised a bokoblin off of, then got knocked off him by a moblin. I got knocked backwards, but the horse stayed there and kicked the moblin, doing some damage to him.

Hell yeah new horse buddy.

You gotta get the giant horse! I was riding along in a canyon when a boulder careened down the mountain and bounced off Aliquam's head without causing even a flinch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Final Fantasy 15 and Metal Gear Solid V are both games I kinda liked at first until I realized how unfinished and lovely they were and kind of failed in the transition to a big, open world game.

Breath of the Wild actually succeeded and I beat the game and have over half the shrines and it's still good. It's a game made in the year 2017 that actually feels like a fully-fledged, finished game with a lot of polish. It's kinda hosed that's so rare these days.

And so far the DLC doesn't promise to "finish the story" or "fill out plot holes" like a ton of AAA games' dlcs are wont to do. It's all extra stuff that won't complete the game because it already is

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to find a list of how many of each type of korok puzzle there is, but I'm having no luck. Does anyone know if such a list exists?

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Does anyone know if there is a way to replay the memory cutscenes? I can't figure it out and feel dumb.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

BobbyDrake posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to replay the memory cutscenes? I can't figure it out and feel dumb.

It's in the Start/+ menu under one of the tabs (same menu as the quest list).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

thatguy posted:

I just threw stuff in my inventory on the table in my house and took a picture of it.

That's probably good for continuity, but what about the lighting? Are the photos lit well enough indoors?

Torquemadras posted:

Haha, that's what I've been doing too - getting the PERFECT photo for the lovely album. Half to get a good photo, half to actually recognize what the hell an entry stands for.

It would be fun to have some sort of Compendium Challenge, where people post their entire compendiums online and whoever has the best-photographed one is the winner. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to share that many in-game photos... maybe they could be mini-challenges, where it's stuff like "all species of lizalfos," "all fruit," "all shields," etc.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

The Korok puzzle on Mystathi's Shelf is pretty crazy. After repeatedly attempting to stasis launch the lone rock on to the plateau the rock circle is on I eventually carried it to the edge of the plateau, strapped two octobaloons onto it, blew them with a korok leaf, then popped the balloons while it was drifting over the plateau. It barely didn't fall off the ledge.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Calaveron posted:

And so far the DLC doesn't promise to "finish the story" or "fill out plot holes" like a ton of AAA games' dlcs are wont to do. It's all extra stuff that won't complete the game because it already is

I know! Isn't it weird to have a new game that's polished and feels reasonably complete these days?

Now, granted, these game is missing some things, like full dungeons, things like the hookshot, boss \ enemy variety and any characterization to Ganon at all and an underwhelming climactic battle but, these all feel like intentional things and not the game getting shoved out the door.

And while there aren't many types of enemies, their behavior is extremely varied and complex so that makes up for it. You'll see tons of Bokoblins, Moblins and Lizalfos, but they will keep doing new things that will surprise you.

I want a lot more content, but not because the game has holes that need "fixing", but because the base engine and world are so good that I'm hungry for more. Like I said earlier, I really, really hope that Nintendo puts a lot of support into this game and releases a ton of DLC for it instead of abandoning it and moving on to the next thing. There is so much potential in the engine they have here that not building on it would almost be a waste.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Every so often when I'm playing this docked I will remember it is also handheld and be amazed for a while. The Switch really is a spiffy little machine. Now if the Joy-Cons supported headphones it would be brilliant.

Polo-Rican posted:

It would be fun to have some sort of Compendium Challenge, where people post their entire compendiums online and whoever has the best-photographed one is the winner. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to share that many in-game photos... maybe they could be mini-challenges, where it's stuff like "all species of lizalfos," "all fruit," "all shields," etc.

A few of my equipment compendium pics are daft selfies where it's picked up my shield or something. I like those.

Also I have to find that Giant Horse, I found out what he looks like and what he looks like is dope as heck.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder how many people would be buying LTTP or OOT (if they were out on the Switch) after they finish this game.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder how many people would be buying LTTP or OOT (if they were out on the Switch) after they finish this game.

I want wind waker damnit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This game made me go out and buy Wind Waker \ Twilight Princess for Wii U and Majora \ Link Between Worlds on 3DS. (Already had OoT, LTTP and Zelda 1 on it.)

I really haven't beaten many Zelda games. I've finished LTTP, OoT, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap and now Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild. And I think that's it. I came close to beating Wind Waker years ago but I got stuck on the Triforce quest and then someone stole my copy of the game.

In spite of this, I think I own close to every Zelda game. I'm missing Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Tri Force Heroes, Four Swords Adventures and Hyrule Warriors but meh.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I own Hyrule Warriors for the WiiU but I don't think I've actually played it. Hmm...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Spacebump posted:

1080p hd edition port of 3ds oot.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I own Hyrule Warriors for the WiiU but I don't think I've actually played it. Hmm...

its fuckin good m8

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Loved it. The last time I played a Warriors game was on the PS2, I didn't like the game. I'm sure part of it was Zelda fan service and part of it was Warriors games improving over time, but enjoyed the game. (And it more or less has endless content) I wish they had let you buy the extra 3ds edition story bits in the DLC. Hopefully we get a sequel that does crazy ideas like a black & white or 2d level. (We won't but it's fun to dream.)

If you are trying to upgrade amiibo costumes, the Hero one from 8 Bit Link seems to be the easiest to upgrade/farm materials for. (OOT is probably the 2nd easiest.) I can't believe the Sheik Mask doesn't get the stealth suit armor bonus.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

1080p hd edition port of 3ds oot.

I seriously want console ports of the 3DS versions of OoT and Majora's Mask. Just give me HD versions of everything.

Spacebump posted:

If you are trying to upgrade amiibo costumes, the Hero one from 8 Bit Link seems to be the easiest to upgrade/farm materials for. (OOT is probably the 2nd easiest.) I can't believe the Sheik Mask doesn't get the stealth suit armor bonus.

Fortunately the OoT and 8-Bit Links are the outfits I'd actually want to wear, but farming star fragments is a royal pain in the rear end it's almost not even worth it. It's a shame the Tunic of the Wild requires all 120 Shrines because at that point you're basically done with the game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I seriously want console ports of the 3DS versions of OoT and Majora's Mask. Just give me HD versions of everything.

Fortunately the OoT and 8-Bit Links are the outfits I'd actually want to wear, but farming star fragments is a royal pain in the rear end it's almost not even worth it. It's a shame the Tunic of the Wild requires all 120 Shrines because at that point you're basically done with the game.

I have an easier time getting star fragments than opals. I didn't realize this until I had most of the Wind Waker suit to level 3. Is there somewhere good to farm opals?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I have an easier time getting star fragments than opals. I didn't realize this until I had most of the Wind Waker suit to level 3. Is there somewhere good to farm opals?

I get tons and tons of them. I just run into rare ore deposits in mountains a lot, and once you're at the endgame, silver variants of enemies show up and they just poo poo out gemstones like nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Frost Taluses drop lots of opals and sapphires. They're mostly in the Hebra Mountains, with a couple in the Gerudo Highlands.