Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Anthem is a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Anthem is a bad game

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

There was some exceptionally dumb poo poo pushed by EA, namely that the third entry in a trilogy should be "accessible to new players" so they had to avoid a lot of prior game references or dumb them down to a single sentence.

The ends were all Walters and Hudson, though.

They had a clueless player insert to ask "what the gently caress is going on" but as you said they cut everything down. The best/worst part is that theres no meaningful difference in content. Its not like say Witcher 2 or Alpha Protocol where you get locked out of sections of the game based on decisions.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
im the skull body pillow

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

El_Elegante posted:

Triple A studios so unable to admit to missteps that they sound like politicians.

i mean

isn't that everyone these days?

also, from what i've learned about the development of recent bioware titles, i'm entirely willing to blame bioware for what's happened. you reap what you sow

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

drat, I could go for another Alpha Protocol right about now

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Early reports suggest that disco elysium will scratch that itch.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Does it keep track on the ammount of orphans i created by shooting down a helicopter?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Disco Elysium is insanely good.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I have enjoyed Disco Elysium and pitting aspects of my inner self and subconscious against each other. I've had more fun in that game than I've had making fun of Anthem.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Eastbound Spider posted:

Does it keep track on the ammount of orphans i created by shooting down a helicopter?

I need to know how expensive the medical costs my espionage incurred are.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

drkeiscool posted:

also, from what i've learned about the development of recent bioware titles, i'm entirely willing to blame bioware for what's happened. you reap what you sow

yeah it's their own goddamn fault. They had a potential franchise on their hands that could sustain them on its own for years and years and they hosed it up at every step

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol the cartel EA would chew up any sort of American Bioware taskforce employee and the first time an AmericanBioware soldier employee gets his face skinned off and his hands / feet chopped off + his balls in his mouth we would gently caress off out of there asap.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 21, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol the cartel would chew up any sort of American taskforce and the first time and American soldier gets his face skinned off and his hands / feet chopped off + his balls in his mouth we would gently caress off out of there asap.

:bioware:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Agreed

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Oh my god how did I do that lmao.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I fixed it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

hobbesmaster posted:

They had a clueless player insert to ask "what the gently caress is going on" but as you said they cut everything down. The best/worst part is that theres no meaningful difference in content. Its not like say Witcher 2 or Alpha Protocol where you get locked out of sections of the game based on decisions.

Alpha Protocol locks you out of like one level. The consequences for your actions in that game are largely story-related, with the odd change in encounters (eg if you beat up Grigori then the normal staff at the embassy are replaced with beefy marines). This is pretty similar to Mass Effect 3, with stuff like having more geth to fight if you didn't kill the rogue geth in ME2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Sterling tears into Anthem today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgifZjKd6-A

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Jim Sterling can be best compared to a barrel organ. But I guess that's the YouTube grind.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dead game got an update and a Halloween seasonal event?

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/update-150

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

5er posted:

Dead game got an update and a Halloween seasonal event?

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/update-150

At the end of the year there will exist at least one person on this planet who is an undisputed expert on Anthem’s “Season of Skulls” lore

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Man, I was really hype for this video, but it's mostly just recounting how Anthem looked on the outside when announced to release, plus the info from the Schreier article, and how it didn't fulfill its season pass.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Alpha Protocol locks you out of like one level. The consequences for your actions in that game are largely story-related, with the odd change in encounters (eg if you beat up Grigori then the normal staff at the embassy are replaced with beefy marines). This is pretty similar to Mass Effect 3, with stuff like having more geth to fight if you didn't kill the rogue geth in ME2

One thing that actually impressed me in ME3 was how Tuchanka branched.

If Wrex is dead, you get Wreave, so that's a different set of dialogue for almost everything, if you let Mordin die Wiks is around instead, who has entirely different dialogue, if you kept or destroyed the cure, that's different lines, and (this surprised me when I saw it), if you destroyed the cure Wrex goes and gets in Shepard's face about it... which gives you two dialogue options. You basically can say "Yeah, I made the right call, but things change" or "I'm sorry. I made the wrong call".

Pick the first one, and Wrex spends every conversation being pissed at you and talking about how you're a piece of poo poo. Pick the second one, and Wrex keeps some skepticism at the start, but he moves pretty quickly back to being buddy-buddy again despite the tensions. It's a really impressive amount of possibilities to juggle.

Which is, of course, part of why the ending was such a kick to the nuts. The game just showed that it can have decent branching that gives the player the feeling that their choices made the game unique. It wasn't just failing to give players what they expected, it was failing after showing they could have succeeded, or at least, have done less bad.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lambert posted:

Jim Sterling can be best compared to a barrel organ. But I guess that's the YouTube grind.

Just a little classical humor for you folks! I kid, I kid.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that actually impressed me in ME3 was how Tuchanka branched.

If Wrex is dead, you get Wreave, so that's a different set of dialogue for almost everything, if you let Mordin die Wiks is around instead, who has entirely different dialogue, if you kept or destroyed the cure, that's different lines, and (this surprised me when I saw it), if you destroyed the cure Wrex goes and gets in Shepard's face about it... which gives you two dialogue options. You basically can say "Yeah, I made the right call, but things change" or "I'm sorry. I made the wrong call".

Pick the first one, and Wrex spends every conversation being pissed at you and talking about how you're a piece of poo poo. Pick the second one, and Wrex keeps some skepticism at the start, but he moves pretty quickly back to being buddy-buddy again despite the tensions. It's a really impressive amount of possibilities to juggle.

Which is, of course, part of why the ending was such a kick to the nuts. The game just showed that it can have decent branching that gives the player the feeling that their choices made the game unique. It wasn't just failing to give players what they expected, it was failing after showing they could have succeeded, or at least, have done less bad.

It was showing how badly managed Bioware was, to drive off their real writing talent, and then have a bunch of stressed and confused interns finish it off with some input from a board of stockholders.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, I was really hype for this video, but it's mostly just recounting how Anthem looked on the outside when announced to release, plus the info from the Schreier article, and how it didn't fulfill its season pass.

There was never going to be anything in the video that this thread hasn’t already covered extensively

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

im just surprised they havent announced a game of the year edition with all the dlc bundled in plus some new goodies before the holidays. i'd buy a second copy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So the Halloween event is what Bioware meant by still working on new content. It would be tiny time limited events that are for grinding out cosmetics. Here I wanted to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt and assume they were going to add actual substantial content. lol

So Bioware has still essentially abandoned the game.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I said come in! posted:

Here I wanted to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt and assume they were going to add actual substantial content.

What on earth gave you the impression that they would do that?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I said come in! posted:

I wanted to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt

:hmmno:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ashpanash posted:

What on earth gave you the impression that they would do that?

Nothing, I am just incredibly naive. People actually told me that significant story content was still coming, that Bioware didn't abandon their entire plans for Anthem. They did though, and now I know I was right.

I mean, at least I don't own the game, so none of this matters anyways! :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel bad for the Anthem players who really believes this game had wings.

Once I found out you couldn’t even fly until like 3 months before the game went gold or whatever I realized I was sticking with Destiny.

The game seemed cool but I guess it was simply too ambitious and incredibly mismanaged.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The only two companies that don't abandon their live service games are Ubisoft and Bungie and one of these only has one game they have so they are kind of required to.

EA would have dropped Star Wars Battlefront II like a hot cake if Disney wasn't probably forcing them to support it under threat of pulling their Star Wars License

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cutedge posted:

The only two companies that don't abandon their live service games are Ubisoft and Bungie and one of these only has one game they have so they are kind of required to.

EA would have dropped Star Wars Battlefront II like a hot cake if Disney wasn't probably forcing them to support it under threat of pulling their Star Wars License

Normally I would agree with you about UBISoft, but their policies are catching up to them now. They've mostly abandoned Division 2, and have fallen into the same problem as Anthem where they are no longer sticking to their road map. It's just not nearly as bad as Anthems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't The Division 2 just release a big second DLC with a bunch of new missions and balance changes? Massive has been pretty reliable about getting free content out, even if it hasn't been exactly lightning speed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't The Division 2 just release a big second DLC with a bunch of new missions and balance changes? Massive has been pretty reliable about getting free content out, even if it hasn't been exactly lightning speed.

I didn't know about that! The last I heard about a content update, was that UBISoft walked back on it and removed a bunch of stuff from the game just days after implementing it. So I assumed the game was in a super bad state.

I own Division 2, but haven't played it in months. I bought the game two months after launch, and it was a ghost town other than end game. So that was a super bad sign.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any game like Div2 is gonna be a ghost town while leveling two months after release, since you can hit max in basically a weekend of playing. It's still the 4th best selling game of 2019.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's still the 4th best selling game of 2019.

This doesn't really mean much! Anthem is also in the top 5 best selling games of 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, the games pulling off a best seller of the year isn't exactly something to turn your nose up at, but the issue is these were games intended to continue producing revenue over an extended period of time, and that hinges on there being an active, engaged playerbase who actually wants to buy whatever expansions/content you put out. i can't speak to where division 2 is at with that, but anthem's not going to pull that off any time soon.

i really do think that them not coming outright and saying they're canceling all future content for anthem is evidence that they're hoping for a 2.0 relaunch of the thing down the line but the likelihood it'll draw people back on board the ship that's already sitting at the bottom of the marianas trench is looking pretty slim to none at this point