Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I honestly don't know how anyone has any issues with any difficulty in these games. Now, I'm not talking about the optional bosses that these games sometimes have, but the regular games themselves are never that difficult no matter what the difficulty is set to. The trick is just to figure out what the most efficient build is for each game. If I recall correctly in KH1 and KH2 it was magic. In days it was a combination of magic and using the keyblades that had ridiculous strength, but basically no ability to combo. In BBS it depended on which character you were playing, but in general the magic-oriented attack commands were generally more useful than magic itself.

Same goes for 3D. Blizzard Strike (if I remember the name correctly) was infinitely more versatile than Blizzard (and its variants). The main reason for this is because in 3D mobility is essential to remaining alive with enemies that can stun lock you to death. And really I only ever found this was a probably for random enemies. None of the bosses were challenging at all because if all else fails you can just flow motion your way out of an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You clearly weren't using enough magic in Days.

You figured out how to break the game, good for you.

I did catch on to how useful magic was at some point, but having to build up your character for a very specific play style just to deal with bags of HP isn't very good or fun game design.

And I wouldn't say either game had too high difficulty exactly, just too irritating difficulty.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

BioMe posted:

And I wouldn't say either game had too high difficulty exactly, just too irritating difficulty.
Okay, worded like this I can agree with what you are saying.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BioMe posted:

I'd agree with this.

Also, Proud in Days just made you take more damage and recover less from hp prizes, so it didn't actually affect enemy hp :v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh my christ, it seems that Zexion fights continue to be utterly mindbending. Just unlocked access to his absent silhouette so I went to try it out and it was a bit too much for me. DONALD IS A BOOK! NOW I AM A BOOK! NOW I AM IN THE BOOK DIMENSION AND MY COMMAND BAR IS A BOOK! NOW ZEXION IS A BOOK USING A MILLION BOOKS AS FIN FUNNELS! BOOKS!

Think I'll come back later when I have Second Chance or something.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Generally speaking, the Absent Silhouettes should really be saved for later. Even the earliest ones you unlock are a pain. Heck, when you unlock the Larxene one, you can easily be one-shotted by her in less than 3 seconds. I think the only ones that are feasible as soon as you get them are Vexen's and Marluxia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lexaeus' isn't too tough either once you figure out how to fight him, but yeah Zexion and Larxene are really tough when you first get them and take a lot of effort to beat them when you are able to fight them. I think I remembered fighting Zexion's when I first got it, losing a lot, then waiting until I was about 5 or so levels higher to go back at him again and it was still a bit of work even then to beat him. Larxene's even worse, but I still thought she was a pretty fun fight.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So I beat 3D just now and... Well, I seriously didn't think Nomura's mind could crack any further but he actually looked at the plot of KH and decided it could really use some time travel. Suddenly I am feeling some kind of fearful respect for the man. He just gives no fucks anymore.

I mean I could complain about all sorts of stupid poo poo going on in the game, but I think we are past that kind of criticism now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
We're at the stage now, where if KH3 was as simple to understand as the first game, it'd actually be really disappointing to not have the same level of crazy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If by the end of the series there isn't more than 20 Soras, 5 Rikus, 48 Xehanorts, and people wielding three keyblades at once then this series has failed to meet my "Kingdom Hearts is getting to make less sense as the days go by" then I am going to be very disappointed.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just want to explore whimsical Disney worlds and hangout with Donald and Goofy. Playing through 2, I was giggling my butt off. I forgot how silly this game got.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

BioMe posted:

So I beat 3D just now and... Well, I seriously didn't think Nomura's mind could crack any further but he actually looked at the plot of KH and decided it could really use some time travel. Suddenly I am feeling some kind of fearful respect for the man. He just gives no fucks anymore.

I mean I could complain about all sorts of stupid poo poo going on in the game, but I think we are past that kind of criticism now.

I have a theory and it goes like this: Nomura isn't a writer.

Seriously though, think about it. The guy excels at all the other jobs he has working on the game...he basically plans the entire battle system out, (I believe) does all the character artwork, I think even does some of the programming and developing...and on top of that takes it upon himself to write the story treatment. If I had to balance that many jobs at one time working on a project I'd probably write a jumbled mess of a story too.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I think Nomura just has no inner editor - and apparently that's the only one a boss will get at a Japanese workplace.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If by the end of the series there isn't more than 20 Soras, 5 Rikus, 48 Xehanorts, and people wielding three keyblades at once then this series has failed to meet my "Kingdom Hearts is getting to make less sense as the days go by" then I am going to be very disappointed.

Just three?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Just three?

Gilgamesh really needs to have a cameo in the next KH.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BioMe posted:

Gilgamesh really needs to have a cameo in the next KH.

God no. If that happens then we'll have Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia connected in the same continuity. I don't think I could handle that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

YggiDee posted:

God no. If that happens then we'll have Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia connected in the same continuity. I don't think I could handle that.

quote:

Dissidia Final Fantasy was originally envisioned by producer Tetsuya Nomura as a Kingdom Hearts spin-off featuring a cast of Disney characters while the Square Enix staff was developing Kingdom Hearts II.

Nomura later felt uncomfortable with the Disney characters fighting each other and instead opted to use Final Fantasy characters, although the original idea eventually gave rise to the development of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, with the game's multiplayer mode inspired by Dissidia's gameplay.

Nomura denied us the fun of having Donald Duck make everyone his bitch, but at least he gave us Garland and Laguna :allears:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Would have kicked all you guy's asses with Goofy.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Also I'd like to see a Roger Rabbit and Enchanted world :shobon:

I've been saying for a while now that an Enchanted world would be amazing if they started out in Giselle's world, popped into New York, and made all the characters super high-poly and realistic-looking like FF13 or something - including making Donald and Goofy look like regular animals, a la Pip in the movie.

It'll never happen because something like that is probably too crazy even for this series, but it's a fun pipe dream.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The GIG posted:

Would have kicked all you guy's asses with Goofy.

Nomura please nerf Goofy in Dissidia 012 Kingdom Hearts

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Behonkiss posted:

I've been saying for a while now that an Enchanted world would be amazing if they started out in Giselle's world, popped into New York, and made all the characters super high-poly and realistic-looking like FF13 or something - including making Donald and Goofy look like regular animals, a la Pip in the movie.

It'll never happen because something like that is probably too crazy even for this series, but it's a fun pipe dream.

Oh wow. :staredog: This would make me so excited for Kh3 if it were a reality.

Enchanted was an adorable movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
But would Sora be fighting with Giselle or Patrick Demspey?

Trick question: BOTH, cause Donald and Goofy would be a real duck and dog, thus unable to fight

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've finished three worlds so far, and I'm wondering: do the bosses get any better? One of the things I really liked about the other games was fighting Disney villains and anime pretty boys, but so far all the bosses in this game have been unrelated giant Heartless Dream Eaters that aren't even fun to fight. (And in the case of Clawbster, actively as obnoxious as possible)

The game is pretty fun, but it feels like they really dropped the ball with the boss fights.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It gets a little better in the second set of worlds, but, uh, mostly Dream Eaters.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I've finished three worlds so far, and I'm wondering: do the bosses get any better? One of the things I really liked about the other games was fighting Disney villains and anime pretty boys, but so far all the bosses in this game have been unrelated giant Heartless Dream Eaters that aren't even fun to fight. (And in the case of Clawbster, actively as obnoxious as possible)

The game is pretty fun, but it feels like they really dropped the ball with the boss fights.

That's one of the things that's always annoyed me about KH. I wanted to fight Razoul and the Palace guards in KH1, and I wanted to have a boss fight with each of Shan Yu's A-Team, not the gajillion heartless he traded his Hun army for. I was so pleased when I got to Maleficent's castle in BBS and fought her actual minions from the movie.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yeah, Disney bosses are cooler. You already fight a million Heartless or whatever so it makes the boss kinda "bleh" in comparison. I'm starting the second half of KH2 right now and I don't really want to continue because of that. I really hope KH3, or whatever is next, goes back to the first game's level style. You go to a world, meet new friends, play through a classic Disney movie, leave and possibly never come back unless it's to grind.

And speaking of levels, here are some awesome ideas that not too many people mention.
Pocahontas
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Sword in the Stone
Black Cauldron
John Carter
Robin Hood
The Jungle Book
Wreck-It Ralph
Emperor's New Groove (Which they should totally name Empire of the Sun)
James and the Giant Peach
The Rocketeer
Pirates of the Caribbean sequels

Now tell how any of these would be a bad idea.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Pridelands heartless boss you fight on your second visit is pretty awesome though. It's like a Colossus.

Xenmas or whatever his name was in the beauty and the beast second visit can go to hell, however

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The Pridelands heartless boss you fight on your second visit is pretty awesome though. It's like a Colossus.

Xenmas or whatever his name was in the beauty and the beast second visit can go to hell, however

Xaldin, and yes he can.

On my Pride Mode run, I died about 3-5 times, each time except the last one activating Mickey, and still lost to him. Mostly because Anti-Sora kept activating. That's a feature for that and several other boss fights, right? I almost always get Anti-Sora in a boss fight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Macaluso posted:

Xaldin. Everyone loving hates Xaldin, with good reason. They don't spam reflect enough :v:

Also, the bosses get slightly better in 3D; Sora's boss in the Grid is loving fantastic. His boss in Country of the Muskateers is good, too. And so is his boss in Symphony of Sorcery... Riku gets completely shafted on bosses until the very end. Although, I kinda like his version of Wargoyle better. Hockomonkey Mage can suck it, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Xaldin. Everyone loving hates Xaldin, with good reason. They don't spam reflect enough :v:

Also, the bosses get slightly better in 3D; Sora's boss in the Grid is loving fantastic. His boss in Country of the Muskateers is good, too. And so is his boss in Symphony of Sorcery... Riku gets completely shafted on bosses until the very end. Although, I kinda like his version of Wargoyle better. Hockomonkey Mage can suck it, though.

Ask me how disappointed I was when I got to his Symphony of Sorcery boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KamiTsurugi posted:

Xaldin, and yes he can.

On my Pride Mode run, I died about 3-5 times, each time except the last one activating Mickey, and still lost to him. Mostly because Anti-Sora kept activating. That's a feature for that and several other boss fights, right? I almost always get Anti-Sora in a boss fight.

Any fight against Organization XIII causes Anti-Form to have a x5 multiplier to its point gain. This tends to equal always-happen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

Ask me how disappointed I was when I got to his Symphony of Sorcery boss.

Are you talking about Riku? If so, I agree.

what boss???

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's good that the music was good for the game, because the songs in the actual movie sucked. balls. I liked the movie otherwise but the songs were so bad it was almost embarrassing.

I will not let anyone diss the music in that movie. :colbert: The generic love song is actually about Minnie Mouse nearly being crushed by a safe and that is loving amazing.

On a note more related to the game itself, the Dream Eater design in this game might never stop surprising me. I never expected to actually find a MeowWow adorable (or to fight alongside a goose with a goddamn tongue in its torso).

Graceful Graveler fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 5, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I'm playing Final Mix and how in the hell do I beat half of the data battles? Even boss battles that should be easy are giving me trouble because of the ridiculous damage output from the bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I'm playing Final Mix and how in the hell do I beat half of the data battles? Even boss battles that should be easy are giving me trouble because of the ridiculous damage output from the bosses.

Who in particular are you finding hard?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A good chunk of them. I can figure out the basic ones like Sai'X, Xigbar and Xemnas just fine, but fighting Roxas is annoying me, Axel does 3/4ths of my health in one hit and trying to handle Luxord's time gauge crap is annoying.

I'm on proud mode and LV 72, by the way.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I generally like the drop system but gently caress getting dropped just seconds before beating a boss. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't decide to also completely refill it's hp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A good chunk of them. I can figure out the basic ones like Sai'X, Xigbar and Xemnas just fine, but fighting Roxas is annoying me, Axel does 3/4ths of my health in one hit and trying to handle Luxord's time gauge crap is annoying.

I'm on proud mode and LV 72, by the way.

Roxas is pretty brutal. You gotta be quick with counterattacks/reflect, from what I remember. And learn how to avoid Faith and his other crazy moves.

Luxord requires some luck. I believe that you can hit the dice he rolls to get a chance to trap him in a card and get free hits. When there are a bunch of cards on at once, find the one he's in to get more free hits in.

Axel can basically only be beaten by timing the reaction commands when he jumps out of the flame wall, which lets you stun him and knock off a couple bars of health.

Also Zexion :lol: don't ever get trapped in the book and you'll be fine!

PS you have Once More/Second Chance, right? And Leaf Bracer or Veil or whatever.

EDIT: Watching a video of the Roxas battle, I remember it better than I thought. You gotta hit reflect immediately as the battle starts, and block most of his attacks, reflecting the final one, which gives you an opening. Once he does the crazy move where he charges up in the center of the platform, superglide away ASAP.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 9, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, I do have both of those equipped. Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can make something of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also Zexion :lol: don't ever get trapped in the book and you'll be fine!

Just from getting my rear end kicked repeatedly by his absent silhouette I have no idea how you're supposed to do that, I can't find any way to avoid it.