Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Azhais posted:

So is there a convenient "what can my tamed dinosaur kill" type guide out there? I'm always terrified of losing tamed mounts because I just don't have uninterrupted hours to replace them most of the time so I tend to be a big coward. Like I've got a 38 raptor, what should I realistically be afraid of and what is just a meat pinata?

A saddle plus 1500hp plus 300% or more damage should take on anything but a bronto or t-rex with ease. Also get a saber cat instead and then kill brontos and t-rexes with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Azhais posted:

So is there a convenient "what can my tamed dinosaur kill" type guide out there? I'm always terrified of losing tamed mounts because I just don't have uninterrupted hours to replace them most of the time so I tend to be a big coward. Like I've got a 38 raptor, what should I realistically be afraid of and what is just a meat pinata?

Kill anything up to rexes/brontos. Once you get a sabre you basically become a monster.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Haven't seen anything infodump-wise about it one way or the other yet, but crossbow damage seems to vary per shot. I've nailed low-level cave bats in the face and had them die in one shot, and I've nailed low-level cave bats in the face and had it take 3 shots to kill. It feels off.

Unless lag/other server oddness is causing some shots to hit places other than they appear to. Which is a possibility.

That said, I like the crossbow. It feels easier to aim with than the bow (without marking a dot on a piece of tape in the center of your screen). Now we just need to turn up a ramshackle or better BP for it.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Gotta update Gearbox again! (sorry if this is getting to be a pain!)

Is this server down?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of learning wtf, how many scorpions would one need to knock out a carno or sabre?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Really depends on what level the target is at. Scorpions can be pretty tough especially with the extra armor from the saddle. Buff its hp and damage. I'd be comfortable going one-on-one against a lower level carno with one of my level 30ish scorpions. Something higher level though I think I would rather have a buddy tranq arrow it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I emptied 20 tranq arrows into a L33 dimorphodon and it still wouldn't go down. :shrug: It didn't die either. It just kept nipping at me for a few sec each time then went back to cruising around.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

turtlecrunch posted:

I emptied 20 tranq arrows into a L33 dimorphodon and it still wouldn't go down. :shrug: It didn't die either. It just kept nipping at me for a few sec each time then went back to cruising around.

I had the same issue. It didn't go down until I waited for it to land and nailed in the face. They burn through the torpor real fast and a lot of my shots landed in the wings and tail. Maybe those bits don't count as actual hits and don't affect HP or torpor.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TracerM17 posted:

I had the same issue. It didn't go down until I waited for it to land and nailed in the face. They burn through the torpor real fast and a lot of my shots landed in the wings and tail. Maybe those bits don't count as actual hits and don't affect HP or torpor.

There's a hitbox issue, you have to aim slightly ahead and above the dinosaur to actually hit it. Even sticking it in the actual body does nothing. One shot to the front usually brings them down though.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Molothecat posted:

Is this server down?

Server's back up, but the .ini's back to normal gather/xp rates.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Molothecat posted:

Server's back up, but the .ini's back to normal gather/xp rates.

Confirmed, everything is at default levels. :emo:

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I love hopping in occasionally and messing around with this game, but it does suck that release is so far away. As someone that may just play a few hours a week, I just want that big final wipe to occur so I know everything I do will remain (well, at least the stuff on a PvE server). Also having all these months to scout preferable home spots is nice so when the inevitable final wipe occurs, I can head right to a nice spot and lay down many-a-foundation and then build around it. In the meantime though, it is still a fun and great time killer that keeps getting better and better each week. Those drat ants and wasps caught me offguard when I logged in for the first time in like two weeks and got attacked by them while gathering some berries. Here's hoping for an auto-run button/keybind and different taming system in the coming months!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Check out this autorun/autogather script :

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone posted an autohotkey script a while back, with a vague warning that it had bugs. I made a fancier version here: http://pastebin.com/usuUEu7w

F1 to spam E (for harvesting plants), F2 to enable auto-walk and F3 to click 20 times. It should also automatically interrupt what it's doing if the game window loses focus (without checking several times a second like the old version did). Works for me on Win7, though the window focus stuff might not be supported on Win8.

As a bonus feature if you're running windowed or fullscreen windowed, you can put the icons from this rar file in the same folder as the .ahk and comment out the "return" on line 34 to have it show them in the top left of the screen when any of the functions are running. This won't work in regular fullscreen mode though.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Please ceebee.

Your people need you. I need you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The private server I play on was complaining that the recent update changed all of the configuration values and rather than having them all in one file they decided to move it to two different files. Took 3 reboots to get everything right since they flat out stopped documenting some of the options.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Furries poison everything

(From the steam forum)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Are you sure thats not a hilarious prank?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

Are you sure thats not a hilarious prank?

Humor doesn't exist on the internet, everything is 100% serious 100% of the time.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:siren::siren::siren:

Goons on OfficialServer82! We're relocating to the north-east island as caves are now a liability (plus the FPS in them is dogshit terrible). We have a lot of goons who don't play anymore and have extremely useful stuff in their storage so we're giving everyone until this time tomorrow to transfer your items up to the island, and any chests still left behind will be donated to community efforts to establish the north-east island. If you can't log in to move it or whatever post here to let me know and we can move it for you.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my fort got hosed up :(

guess I should have made more stone walls. live and learn I guess.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

nightwisher posted:

:siren::siren::siren:

Goons on OfficialServer82! We're relocating to the north-east island as caves are now a liability (plus the FPS in them is dogshit terrible). We have a lot of goons who don't play anymore and have extremely useful stuff in their storage so we're giving everyone until this time tomorrow to transfer your items up to the island, and any chests still left behind will be donated to community efforts to establish the north-east island. If you can't log in to move it or whatever post here to let me know and we can move it for you.

Well, not reliably anymore. Ingame: Hekora. I guess I'll need to figure a way up there though and pack my little shitbirds along.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The insects are loving stupid. I just got a message that my Lv50 trike (leveled from Lv20) was whacked by an ant. How the gently caress is that even possible? If I leave my dudes on passive, they get murdered by insects. If I leave them on neutral, the whole pen turns into a mess of angry dinos and birds. This isn't a fun game element at all! I mean I dont really care about the trike. Theres nothing it can do that my Stega, Anky or Mammoth doesnt do better, but drat..... Thats a seriously lovely mechanic.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

duck monster posted:

The insects are loving stupid. I just got a message that my Lv50 trike (leveled from Lv20) was whacked by an ant. How the gently caress is that even possible? If I leave my dudes on passive, they get murdered by insects. If I leave them on neutral, the whole pen turns into a mess of angry dinos and birds. This isn't a fun game element at all! I mean I dont really care about the trike. Theres nothing it can do that my Stega, Anky or Mammoth doesnt do better, but drat..... Thats a seriously lovely mechanic.

Tame dimorphodons. Leave them on short range aggressive following one of your big dinos. They should kill any ants that show up.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Tamed a Bronto last night, first real big dino for me. Went and mined some metal and had about 75% of her weight limit filled. On my way back to my base she drowned in an inlet, because apparently brontosaurus' breathe out of their torso, not their mouth. Then I had 10 fun minutes of swimming back and forth from my smeltery and where she died.

I'll just have to get another tonight, maybe I'll jack the taming rates up just to get that done.

I love this game though, I finally can fly, I have a sweet new rifle, and my own raptor/scorpion crew to go hunting with. I also have a tamed Megadolon just waiting for me to get the engram to make a sweet saddle for it.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Gearbox server is still at default exp/loot. :bang:

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Logging on to random dinos dead is annoying, today 6 of our 7 mammoths and 4 of 6 ankylos were dead. No updates were done, nothing should have changed.
Everything else was just fine, nothing had moved like there was an attack.

Anyone know, if I turn on PvE then turn it back off will that remove anything blocking loot spawns in caves? None of the caves spawn loot anymore but I can't find anything in or above the caves that would be stopping it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/1/535150948618006522/

This can't end well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
On server 82, we are the undisputed world power. We like to wield this power in imaginative ways. Lately we have come to enforce "Dino Law", acting as enforcers for a justice system that we make up along the way. We find everyone guilty of not operating with permits, and we give them citations. (When we come across everyone, we kill them and take their stuff.)

One common criminal goes by the name Mr. Trike. This citizen has an unhealthy obsession with triceratops. He insists having a tamed trike at all times. He is also a vocal opponent of Dino Law, making him a suspect in many active cases here at the Dino Law Station. While making my rounds, I came across Mr Trike and his Trike, and he appeared to be up to no good. I apprehended the suspect (Rent A Cat loving ate his rear end), and I seized his possessions (I took all his fiber and killed his trike).

Upon further investigation of the suspect's belongings, I found this:

Mr Trike has created permit forgeries in an attempt to skirt justice. Did he really believe he could fool an agent of Dino Law?

(This guy isn't playing around with us. He hates us, and hates "Dino Law", but he still made all these notes and carried them on him.)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Revol posted:

On server 82, we are the undisputed world power. We like to wield this power in imaginative ways. Lately we have come to enforce "Dino Law", acting as enforcers for a justice system that we make up along the way. We find everyone guilty of not operating with permits, and we give them citations. (When we come across everyone, we kill them and take their stuff.)

One common criminal goes by the name Mr. Trike. This citizen has an unhealthy obsession with triceratops. He insists having a tamed trike at all times. He is also a vocal opponent of Dino Law, making him a suspect in many active cases here at the Dino Law Station. While making my rounds, I came across Mr Trike and his Trike, and he appeared to be up to no good. I apprehended the suspect (Rent A Cat loving ate his rear end), and I seized his possessions (I took all his fiber and killed his trike).

Upon further investigation of the suspect's belongings, I found this:

Mr Trike has created permit forgeries in an attempt to skirt justice. Did he really believe he could fool an agent of Dino Law?

(This guy isn't playing around with us. He hates us, and hates "Dino Law", but he still made all these notes and carried them on him.)

Guy owns

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone posted an autohotkey script a while back, with a vague warning that it had bugs. I made a fancier version here: http://pastebin.com/usuUEu7w

F1 to spam E (for harvesting plants), F2 to enable auto-walk and F3 to click 20 times. It should also automatically interrupt what it's doing if the game window loses focus (without checking several times a second like the old version did). Works for me on Win7, though the window focus stuff might not be supported on Win8.

As a bonus feature if you're running windowed or fullscreen windowed, you can put the icons from this rar file in the same folder as the .ahk and comment out the "return" on line 34 to have it show them in the top left of the screen when any of the functions are running. This won't work in regular fullscreen mode though.

Hi I am converting my house to stone and I want you to know this script has saved my life. And my E key.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

This game has officially been worth the price for me.

Getting locked in the Chinese base during that raid was close, but this is amazing.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pilchenstein posted:

I've been screwing around a little with this script and despite being a little hobbled by not knowing anything about AHK's scripting language and not wanting to learn, I've managed to get a version that can click while the window isn't in focus(although you need to provide coords in the script, making it useful mostly for pickaxing down wood doors) but can't manage to get a version of either the autouse or autorun to work while the window's not focused. Switching the function call for Click to ControlClick seems to work with sending mouse presses, but ControlSend isn't successfully sending keypresses. Anyone who knows more about me than autohotkey who wants to give it a try? Auto-walk is great, but it would be even greater if I didn't need to keep the ARK window on top while making long cross-ARK trips on bird-back.

Also, unrelated tip - two IEDs have the same explosive power of C4 with significantly lower material costs. The downside is that you can only place them on the ground, and not on enemy foundations. But they're especially useful for blowing up front doors now that grenades have been nerfed.

edit - Shooting IEDs with an arrow or two will detonate them.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 24, 2015

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

I've been screwing around a little with this script and despite being a little hobbled by not knowing anything about AHK's scripting language and not wanting to learn, I've managed to get a version that can click while the window isn't in focus(although you need to provide coords in the script, making it useful mostly for pickaxing down wood doors) but can't manage to get a version of either the autouse or autorun to work while the window's not focused. Switching the function call for Click to ControlClick seems to work with sending mouse presses, but ControlSend isn't successfully sending keypresses. Anyone who knows more about me than autohotkey who wants to give it a try? Auto-walk is great, but it would be even greater if I didn't need to keep the ARK window on top while making long cross-ARK trips on bird-back.

Also, unrelated tip - two IEDs have the same explosive power of C4 with significantly lower material costs. The downside is that you can only place them on the ground, and not on enemy foundations. But they're especially useful for blowing up front doors now that grenades have been nerfed.

How do you set them off without dying?

quote:

Upcoming Version: v188.2, ETA: 4:30 AM EDT
* Dinos that are pushed into world geomtry (moved inside stones etc) are now killed after a period of time. Don't try to hide dinos there, it's not legit ;)
* Removed the unnecessary word "Quantity" from the "Craft All" button
* Transponders no longer disappear if your body is destroyed and you have a loot bag so that u can find your bag -- they then attach to your loot bag. (if that's destroyed, however, then bye bye transponder)
* "Stay All" Whistle ("U" by default) now only affects things following YOU or the Dino that you're riding. (so if you have a team with other dinos following other team members, it won't stop those other dinos)
* Defaulted the loading speed improvements, shipped the prebuilt load cache, and made it used by default. Loading & streaming speed gains of 70-80% on PrimalGameData... still have to do the maps though :)
* Turrets require power again ;)
* Fixed turret shooting logic bug that was causing incorrect turret fire rate (or was causing them to not fire at all), and fixed aiming logic to not fire if it doesn't have a clean shot -- turrets should be pretty badass killing machines now, shouldn't have any direct exploits remaining.
[MORE NOTES TO COME]

Man I hope worldgeometry doesn't include buildings, if I come back and find out my argent is dead because his tailfeathers are sticking out of my house I'm gonna be an unhappy camper, incidentally this might explain where koreagirl is keeping her argents.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

How do you set them off without dying?

dodos?

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for server providers? I've never rented a server for a game before. The main reason I want to do it is so I can have a server running the champion settings from this thread because I would like to play on the hardest settings that are still somewhat reasonable. Is there any interest here for that type of server? I would be running 2x taming at least until they fix taming to not suck.

Also Kanix I have not forgotten about you but I am having a hell of a hard time getting Internet set up in my new place

Kanix here, we are still going strong on Land of the lost and have a brand new metal base in the mountains now. A small handful of players have seemingly managed to force even the largest tribes off the server by constant harassment and guerrilla tactics so unfortunately the server pop has taken a bit of a tumble. I think they did great work though to be honest, the large tribes were all in a loved up alliance and would band together and stomp all over smaller tribes if an incident happened. Just 3/4 guys over the space of a week waged a small guerrilla war and managed to make one tribe quit completely and the others now hardly log in anymore. Im a bit like Switzerland and managed to stay out of all of this but if not many active juicy targets are left on the map I have a feeling I might be seeing some pvp soon.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Insect Court posted:

I've spent an hour tooling around with this and I can get ControlSend to work but only if the window has focus. Seems like the game ignores keyboard input otherwise, sorry. :smith:

turtlecrunch posted:

Hi I am converting my house to stone and I want you to know this script has saved my life. And my E key.
:unsmith:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Spanish Matlock posted:

Man I hope worldgeometry doesn't include buildings, if I come back and find out my argent is dead because his tailfeathers are sticking out of my house I'm gonna be an unhappy camper, incidentally this might explain where koreagirl is keeping her argents.

Dev post:

quote:

Only being totally embedded within a STATIC non-harvestable world geometry rock will trigger the death (and structures don't count for this check either, just natural non-terrain geometry that was being exploited), not being embedded in the ground. That said, we're looking into fixing that collision issue too ;)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I don't believe that for a moment. Expecting a hee-larious backfire as dinos in caves and canyons die from having their tails stuck in a rock

:negative:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

This game has officially been worth the price for me.

Getting locked in the Chinese base during that raid was close, but this is amazing.

The most yakkity sax moment in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So are pteranodons just schizo for everyone? I'll fly mine up to a drop or something, an ant or fly will show up, and my ptera just goes CRAZY and starts flying around at crazy speeds and away from me. Whistling doesn't have any effect most of the time. Seems like a real pain in the rear end. Are all flyers like this? What happens is I'll try to do something with the ptera, he'll start freaking out, then I'm spending the rest of the night begging people to loan me their flyer so I can go find mine in the woods.