Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lunar Suite posted:

I have a question. What's running the songs?
Wasn't it a big plot point in Ciel NoSurge that they're entirely reliant on REON to do the words -> shaped feelings part of song magic and were totally incapable of texturing waves themselves? We get a lot of REON-4213 songs, though, but what's interpreting and running it? Is the Surge Concerto Terminal so cool that it doesn't need a 7D soul for interpretation anymore?

Who's using the REON songs now?
If it's only Ion, she can still use them because she still has oversight*. If it's also Cass or Nay, :shrug:, somebody must have upgraded the Terminal last 5k years.

Zill and early-game Kanon can use them through Nelo.

*the player is currently hijacking that, but I assume the Ar noSurge tube can spare some cycles to interpret Ion's songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Well all of our big songs have either been things that already existed or had Sarly involved I think, so maybe the idea is that Sarly's just that good at Waves.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

Talk about a cold reception. Sounds like the people want Mugen Souls, man.

I do want to see that particular rabbit hole eventually but let Feinne play something enjoyable for once.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I do want to see that particular rabbit hole eventually but let Feinne play something enjoyable for once.

Yeah I would rate DD2 as the second best in the series overall, for me it's:

Disgaea 5- It's not just the new hotness, it's legitimately got the best gameplay overall choices and the cast is the best. The only real trouble is the transition into later portions of the postgame is a bit rough.

DD2- Like original Disgaea but with much better systems.

Disgaea 2- Just a goddamn great game even though it's pretty old at this point. Also maybe the best soundtrack (WHITE TIGER!) EDIT: How could I NOT include a link.

Disgaea- Kind of shows its age at this point, though it's still good.

Disgaea 3- Kind of experimental given it's where they really premiered a lot of the systems you take for granted in the later games.

Disgaea 4- Honestly this game has just never clicked for me, maybe I need to dig out my copy of the vita version since I know it's better.

I'd probably try and work things out to get D5 up and running if its bonus characters (none of which are technically postgame content, the DLC SCALES with your chapter which is kinda loving awesome because it lets you actually play with the drat characters in the main game) didn't include some major DD2 spoilers.

Also both DD2 and Disgaea 5 betray what should be obvious given it's getting a ps4 re-release with improved content, NIS are big Metallia fans because she's goddamn amazing in the former and absolutely absurd in the latter.

EDIT: It occurs to me I've finally figured out why Marona's not in D5, of course she isn't because there's only one sensible overload for her to have and that's someone else's gimmick.

Also the D5 DLC is way more :effort: than normal for bonus characters so that's another part of it. It's legit got some of their best encounter design.

DOUBLE EDIT: poo poo I just remembered that Sinful Rose was sung by the same woman who sang Akane's Hymmnos in Qoga, EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 15, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Disgaea 4- Honestly this game has just never clicked for me, maybe I need to dig out my copy of the vita version since I know it's better.

Yeah, I enjoyed it but it didn't click for me like 2. There are fun parts (I liked Fenrich's prayer :airquote:) but some characters have zilch growth and no arc (looking at you, Prinny dame).

I found Valvatorez's obsession with sardines funny, but that's because I assumed Discworld vampire rules. For those that haven't read Discworld (go read Discworld), the "black ribboners" are vampires that have forsaken blood (so as to not get ashed by humanity), but to do so they must focus their obsession for blood towards another thing (examples: coffe, photography), and they use that thing to substitute for their fix.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Fuuka's arc was in the dlc, pretty much

EDIT: \/ Most overload skills are amazing. That mechanic was the necessary kick the series really needed (even if 5 is the last as rumored)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 15, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Omobono posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it but it didn't click for me like 2. There are fun parts (I liked Fenrich's prayer :airquote:) but some characters have zilch growth and no arc (looking at you, Prinny dame).

I found Valvatorez's obsession with sardines funny, but that's because I assumed Discworld vampire rules. For those that haven't read Discworld (go read Discworld), the "black ribboners" are vampires that have forsaken blood (so as to not get ashed by humanity), but to do so they must focus their obsession for blood towards another thing (examples: coffe, photography), and they use that thing to substitute for their fix.

It's actually almost literally that, with additional shades of him technically still drinking animal blood to stay alive.

One thing I will say, the cast is pretty well distributed character role wise. You could legitimately use the whole main cast and not feel like you're getting some poo poo replicated, and you are rewarded for this by Valvatorez and Desco being awesome.

EDIT: Here is a real Disgaea 4 problem that gets remedied in his appearance in 5's DLC: Axel's gone from actually legit maybe BEING the Dark Hero at the end of Disgaea 2 to a chump. I mean I guess 4 could be before 2, but it still kinda sucks because here's a man with the ballerest theme song of all.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 15, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do love Disgaea 4. And do hope next time you try it clicks for you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Disgaea 5- It's not just the new hotness, it's legitimately got the best gameplay overall choices and the cast is the best. The only real trouble is the transition into later portions of the postgame is a bit rough.
More importantly, it has 100_asagis.map.

DD2 is a pretty timely thing to LP, though, with Disgaea 1 supposedly coming out on Steam in February.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I definitely think you should go DD2. It'll be a nice introduction to a lot of the mechanics that were improved in D5 and it also introduced the Cheat Shop (Seriously I don't think I can play a Disgaea game that doesn't have the Cheat Shop in it anymore.)

Also going with DD2 will allow us to get reacquainted with a certain character that has some very important implications for the plot of D5. That being that D5 is actually a prequel to the rest of the series.

Plus I also have some problems with D4, a major one being that after a certain point, it feels like the plot just falls apart and crashes. But those are things that will come later.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

DD2 is a pretty timely thing to LP, though, with Disgaea 1 supposedly coming out on Steam in February.

I'm doing my part as always.

Also now that I think about it Disgaea 4 is definitely the latest game as far as the meta-plot of the series so Axel being a like quadruple loser in it is especially off. Like it legitimately cannot be happening before Disgaea 2 because both games have characters from Disgaea in them at some point, but in situations such that you know Disgaea 2 is before DD2 and 4 is after.

Been busy with some real life unpleasantness but I've got content, update in the next couple days. We're really close to the end of the game, once I've finished up the synthesis there's just the DLC dives (which I might not even show until after the game's done) and taking Zill and Prim down. If I can get the time and energy to get some quick updates out this could be done pretty fast.

Man we're getting up on update 100, this game is way too long for how uneventful much of it is.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 16, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Also now that I think about it Disgaea 4 is definitely the latest game as far as the meta-plot of the series so Axel being a like quadruple loser in it is especially off. Like it legitimately cannot be happening before Disgaea 2 because both games have characters from Disgaea in them at some point, but in situations such that you know Disgaea 2 is before DD2 and 4 is after.
Trying to fit all the Disgaea games into one Metal Gear Solid-esque integrated timeline seems pretty silly to me. None of them were written with any regard for what might be made after them, or really even what was made before them. I know people like to have a "canon", but I don't think that can add anything to something as silly as Disgaea. If it's even possible to find one. It's a world with time travel in it! All bets are off if you ask me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Trying to fit all the Disgaea games into one Metal Gear Solid-esque integrated timeline seems pretty silly to me. None of them were written with any regard for what might be made after them, or really even what was made before them. I know people like to have a "canon", but I don't think that can add anything to something as silly as Disgaea. If it's even possible to find one. It's a world with time travel in it! All bets are off if you ask me.

Well the postgame is always just a circus that doesn't apply to anything but you can definitely fix a rough timeline based on certain people that are in or at least come up in the main games. Like Disgaea 4 HAS to be set after Disgaea D2 because they share a character and they're straight up older in the latter.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's true, but I think whatever continuity is there is a happy coincidence as much as anything. I think it comes as a distant second to doing whatever seems funny at the time. It's not impossible to line up all the games in one timeline with no explicit inconsistencies, but because they ultimately have such little impact on each other it seems pretty irrelevant. If the Axel from Disgaea 4 doesn't act like the Axel from the end of Disgaea 2, and never talks about anything that happened in Disgaea 2, it doesn't matter if one nominally follows the other.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That's true, but I think whatever continuity is there is a happy coincidence as much as anything. I think it comes as a distant second to doing whatever seems funny at the time. It's not impossible to line up all the games in one timeline with no explicit inconsistencies, but because they ultimately have such little impact on each other it seems pretty irrelevant. If the Axel from Disgaea 4 doesn't act like the Axel from the end of Disgaea 2, and never talks about anything that happened in Disgaea 2, it doesn't matter if one nominally follows the other.

Oh for sure, though I'd have preferred they just made a new character at that point.

It does mostly matter for the original, Disgaea 2, and Disgaea D2 because the latter two are both straight up sequels to the original. 3, 4, and 5 are all much more loose (5 interestingly also places itself before Makai Kingdom, as Dragon Overlord Babylon gets namedropped at one point and the ending of Makai suggests he dies of old age shortly after).

I TAKE MY COMEDY DEMON SRPGS VERY SERIOUSLY BLARGH.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can't claim to actually hold the high ground here, because I took personal offense when they translated the name of the thing that became "Overload" differently from how I thought they would. Even months later I still think my version was better.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I've got my content moved over and am going to try and get an update out tonight.

EDIT: Computer's being a bit wonky but I'm still hopeful I'll get this done.

EDIT AGAIN: Looking better now, working on it.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 18, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Okay it’s early bedtime tonight kids, we’re, um, very important, oh hell fine since we’re all in the same place for once me and the girls are going to hit every bar on Sol Ciel and hopefully Krusche won’t augur the airship into anything. So story time then go to sleep.

Don't say "it would be best"! Just clearly tell us not to touch it!
Hehe, I don't need to be so clear about it. Anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn't touch-...
Wait, Delta, what are you doing!? Pull back your hand right now!!
WAAH!? Y-you scared me... Why are you shouting all of a sudden?
What do you mean why!? You were trying to touch the plasma, weren't you?
Didn't you hear me when I said that I can't guarantee you'd survive?
...You said that?
I did. I can't believe you weren't listening.
...Anyway, it's good that nothing serious happened. Let's put it aside.
More importantly, I have a question. What do you think about a body that can't be hurt by physical attacks?
...Well that's a vague question to come out of the blue.
Just answer it.
...Judging by the usual flow of things, we're talking about plasma, right?
Yeah, if you turned your body into plasma, you couldn't be cut, or even touched, really...
...Sorry to ruin your idea, but even I don't possess the technology to turn your body into plasma.
...You're saying this after creating something that could turn us into an amoeba, among other things?
Yeah, whatever. Just tell us what this thing is, already.

Delta pretty nearly got to be made out of ectoplasm for sure since he tried to touch a bunch of plasma.

Ectoplasm? Isn't that the stuff that pops up in occult stories?
Yes. To put it simply, you can think of it as spiritual energy.
This RNA turns your body into that spiritual energy. I call it the Ectoplasman.
...You can't turn us into plasma, yet you can turn us into ectoplasm? What does that even mean?
This was simply a product of chance.
To be honest, I didn't believe in such unscientific nonsense, but I have to believe it after seeing it myself...
...What the heck were you doing? When would you ever see something like ectoplasm in reality?
Let's just say, there were various circumstances...
A-anyway, if you turn into ectoplasm, you don't need to fear enemy attacks. You can't hurt a ghost, after all.
It doesn't really sound that different from turning into an amoeba...
The main difference is that when you receive an attack in this state, you won't feel much pain.
...It sounds like there would still be pain involved here.
Feeling pain is just evidence that you're alive.
...Isn't it weird that you're talking about evidence of being alive after turning into ectoplasm?

They kept trying to get him access to his memories while Interdimend was active.

Yes, I've noticed that using overly complicated machines doesn't give any results.
While this may be primitive, I decided this was the safest method to bring back your memories.
Isn't that just a pendulum? What are you going to do with it?
Isn't there only one way to use a pendulum?
Yeah, you swing it... Wait, you can use hypnosis, Sarly?
No, this isn't hypnosis. I'm utilizing the effect of how Rupianes Crystals react to memories.
I discovered that when this crystal is swung at a certain interval, its effect becomes more powerful.
So that's why you made it a pendulum?
Correct. If I use this Pendulum of Rupiah, it should be possible to finally reclaim Delta's memories.
That sounds pretty safe. Alright, let's get started!
Okay, relax and stare at the pendulum. Then, listen closely to the sound of my voice.
...What is your mother's name?
......I don't know.
...Is this a failure?
Cass, calm down... Let's move on to the next question.
Do you know about anything you did back when you were on Ra Ciela?
It doesn't matter if you remember it yourself. Just think of something, even just something we talked about.

This time worked, after a fashion.

Then, uh...
Oh, my mom hit me, right on the top of my head. She thought I had lied or something to get her to come over.
...I've never heard of this before. Did Cass tell you about it?
N-no, it wasn't me. Although, I know Delta was the one who helped Ion...
Cass, try talking to him about something. Just be sure not to rush, and take it slowly.
Okay...
Hey, do you remember about our secret base...?
?
The secret base where you and me and Pram would always hang out?
It was inside a big tree... Just the two of us built it.
I cleaned it up inside, and you reinforced it so it wouldn't collapse...
We brought all kinds of stuff we found there, and it ended up filled like a storage room before we knew it...
...Don't call it a storage room. We hand-picked everything in there. It was like a mountain of treasure.
There was that one rainy day where we carried this huge iron plate I found in an alley together.
...Yeah, I remember. Thanks to that, my new clothes got all dirty, and I got in trouble later.
You hit me after we finished carrying it back. I think we're even.
That's not enough to make it even. I really liked those clothes...
...Do you remember anything else?
Yeah, I don't think it's everybody, but... I can remember a lot of people's faces.
There's Cass, and Sarly's uncle... My mom, and also Pram...
...I can't believe it. How could I forget something important like this?
Delta, just concentrate on remembering things.
Y-yeah... But I don't know what to do about that...
What do you mean? You can't remember anything else?
No, it's just...

Kind of shockingly successful for the kind of crap these people made.

There's the huge flower Ion created, and the time I snuck into the Tube Company...
Oh right, and the time I visited the school you two went to. It was so high class, I was really nervous.
...Cass, it looks like we succeeded this time.
Yeah... I'm so glad... Delta, this really is great!
Sorry for worrying you... I'm so sorry, Cass...
I was pretty worried too, you know?
I know. Thank you too, Sarly.
You can stop the pendulum now.
Okay, I'll do that...
The three of us should all talk about the past today. Delta's finally got his memories back, after all.
That's a good suggestion. We should have a party to celebrate the return of Delta's memories.
Hehe... If only we had the energy drink Delta liked, it would be perfect...
Energy drink? One I liked?
You don't remember? You'd always drink it to motivate yourself before doing anything.
You don't remember buying a huge amount in bulk and leaving it in the secret base?
What are you talking about? What do you mean by "secret base"?
Huh? ...You know, our secret base. The place where you, and me, and Pram...
Delta, in Four Seasons, you visited a place where both Cass and I went.
Do you know what that place was?

Unfortunately, it ended up the same as everything else.

W-what's going on? Delta was talking so clearly about the past until just a minute ago!
...It seems that he can only remember his memories while this pendulum is swinging.
As evidence, the moment I stopped the pendulum, he returned to his previous state...
T-then if we just keep swinging this pendulum, Delta's memories would...
Do you intend for Delta to live his entire life staring at this pendulum?
T-that's not...
Yes, that's not possible. There's no way you could do that.
I thought we had finally succeeded this time...
...Thanks, both of you.
I don't deserve any gratitude. I just made another failed item...
That's not true. I'm plenty thankful for this item.
My memories might not have returned, but I was able to talk about the past while it was swinging, right?
That means my memories of that time are still inside my head somewhere.
I can't remember them, but they're there. Just knowing that makes me really happy.
That's why I'm seriously grateful. Thank you, Sarly.
Cass, I'm sorry for getting your hopes up like this...
...This isn't your fault, Delta.
I'm still the cause of all this...
...Anyway, I still can't remember anything about the past but... Uh, you know...

It was quite the stubborn problem, really.

Hmph, you can't remember anything about the past, but you're still an idiot.
Of course I wouldn't do that. I won't abandon you forever, even if you don't like it.
Forever, huh... Haha, I suppose that's good too.

Sarly had made a gift for Cass, but without even trying Ion kinda spit up all over it.

Hm? You know about magatama?
They're rare to see in this era, so I figured you wouldn't know...
There was actually a time when magatama shaped accessories were popular.
Of course, the boom only lasted for a few months before crashing.
There was a boom like that? ...I must've missed it.
This is pretty cool. It might even be useful.
That could be, but I think this is something for Cass to carry.
I created this accessory with the image of a certain woman in mind.
A certain woman?
Yes... I'm sure you don't know the meaning of the word "Tokikagura" so I'll explain it.
Tokikagura refers to a person who has travelled across many dimensions.
In other words, you used a dimensional traveler as the image for this magatama?
Wait? Does Tokikagura have to refer to a woman?
In the case of this one, yes. She might be so close that you haven't realized that this Tokikagura is Ion.
Oh, I see... Then I guess I shouldn't hold onto it.
Well, seeing how I made this for Cass, I probably should have used her image to make it...
I don't mind. It's so pretty, after all.
But when I imagine Ion, this seems a little too neat and pretty to represent her.
Haha, I guess. She's a bit slow when it comes to some things, so you could have made it plainer.
Hehe... Just think of it as something made to emphasize the mysterious nature of the Tokikagura.

I mean what a way to remind someone they’re much less interesting than their cool friend.

I haven't gotten much sleep... Been so focused on creating recipes.
You've got a new recipe then? C'mon, let's have a look!
Sure, but... I doubt you'll understand today's recipe with just a glance.
I intend to create the items with some advanced techniques... Looking at the recipe won't tell you much.
That sounded like a roundabout insult to our intelligence.
Of course, compared to you, we might not be THAT smart... But don't judge us before giving us a chance...
Um, I really wasn't insulting anybody...
But, if that's how you feel, then perhaps it's best you take a look. Here's the recipe.
System Messagea: Obtained the recipe for [Our Messed Up World]!
...What... Is this?
It's packed with numbers and weird diagrams... It's hard to believe this is a recipe.
Well, first of all, you're looking at it upside down.
O-Oh, right. Haha, of course we wouldn't understand it. It's upside down!
What the-!? Yeah... I still don't get it, right-side up.
I told you, didn't I...? It's not something you could easily understand.
This recipe uses a lot of advanced techniques, and machinery in its pipeline...
...Do you get it now?

And then remind them they’re kinda dumb.

...Then, let me try to explain it again.
Do you really think I could write down such an advanced recipe on this little sliver of paper?
If I were to write it normally, it would take a binder as thick as a dictionary.
I've reduced it to only the bare essential information.
Wow, that's quite a reduction, I have to say...
Like I said... The bare essentials.
Besides, even if I had written it down normally, I doubt you two could comprehend it.
Even if I were to show this to a mechanical engineer... Heh, they'd probably say...
"How the hell am I supposed to make this thing!?"
That is how complicated and convoluted this recipe is... So-
Okay, stop stop stop! We get it!
I understand now that this recipe is completely beyond our understanding.
Yeah... It hurts my head just listening to Sarly talk about it.
Remember, I'm the one who has to make it, so all you two have to do is sit back and enjoy.
But... It's fun to imagine what the recipe's going to make before it's complete...

Alright then, let’s… Oh, they’re asleep already. In that case, I guess we’ll pick this up next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: A Miraculous Item

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Blah blah busy with the holidays, and I do still technically need to record a bit too. Later in the week.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Blah blah busy with the holidays, and I do still technically need to record a bit too. Later in the week.

December is a dead month; anything worth doing is worth putting off until January.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Merry spacemas from all your friends on Ar Ciel and Ra Ciela everyone.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Merry spacemas from all your friends on Ar Ciel and Ra Ciela everyone.

Merry Xmas; please remember that the destruction of humanity is still considered a bad gift in polite circles. Horribly unethical scientists don't count as human though, so feel free to go nuts there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sarly is just making all this poo poo like she's Santa Claus, so I suppose it's appropriate.

At least we have kind of a Delta memory-channel back. It makes sense that it only works in cutscenes.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

Sarly is just making all this poo poo like she's Santa Claus, so I suppose it's appropriate.

At least we have kind of a Delta memory-channel back. It makes sense that it only works in cutscenes.

Honestly those things really confuse me because we know Delta's memories can come back at this point in the plot but it's simply impossible to get those scenes any earlier than this.

Update probably tomorrow.

blackraen
Apr 8, 2015

Lunar Suite posted:

I have a question. What's running the songs?
Wasn't it a big plot point in Ciel NoSurge that they're entirely reliant on REON to do the words -> shaped feelings part of song magic and were totally incapable of texturing waves themselves? We get a lot of REON-4213 songs, though, but what's interpreting and running it? Is the Surge Concerto Terminal so cool that it doesn't need a 7D soul for interpretation anymore?

It wasn't that REON was the interpreter. The cathodes actually do that. REON was there to provide the Oversight necessary to multitask the server. (Contrast G2-Trons with Cielnotrons.) But you're actually right, the Surge Concerto Terminal is so cool that it doesn't need a 7D soul anymore because it's using the Ar nosurge tube, which has a direct connection to the multiverse, ergo Oversight, as well as using it for energy production.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ugh, I think the fourth barbecue margarita was the mistake. Mostly because it led to significantly more. Y-yeah, sure, why don’t I go on with the story. I’m not moving around so much for a bit.

R-really? Personally, I think the design is really ugly...
This isn't just an ordinary necklace though, is it?
Nope... Anyway Cass, look over at Delta for a while. Delta, you too.
O-okay...
...It doesn't seem like anything's different?
Cass, start thinking about Delta.
Nothing's happening. Is this a failed item?
...No, it seems to be functioning. Look at your hand.
What about my hand...
!?
Uh... W-what's going on? Why are you holding my hand like that...
Wait, w-what!? Why is this... I don't know what's going on!
I read about holding hands like that in a how-to book before.

Hah Spica and I made something like this once and snuck it into Shurelia’s stuff, good times.

Um, uu... W-what's going on here!?
Sarly, could you explain this?
I call this an HD Compiler. It exchanges H-Waves with D-Waves.
I need a simper explanation, I don't understand!
Woah, wait, Cass! Now you're clinging tightly to my arm!
In other words, when the wearer thinks they want to do something, this pendant causes them to act on it.
T-then... That means, uh... Cass was actually thinking about doing this?
Uu... I-I'm not thinking that...
W-well... This isn't bad...
...Huh?
Uh, no, I just mean...
...Don't make me say it aloud.

What did she do? Oh, um, actually I can’t remember. Yep. I’m not even sure why I brought it up not like we had an embarrassingly friendly moment or something.

...Her posture changed? Her eyes are all moist, and she's lightly peering up into Delta's eyes...
Oh, this is like a request for a kiss... That how-to book was remarkably useful.
...Cass.
Delta... U-uu...
W-what's wrong Cass? Are you in pain!?
U-uuu... YAAAAAAAH!!
What!? She removed the HD Compiler though sheer willpower!?
Haah... Haah... T-that was close...
...Oh, I see, so that's what it was!
The how-to book said that when embarrassment reaches its peak, one's mind can blank out.
In that state, thought Waves would cease momentarily. She used that opportunity to remove the necklace.
You don't have to explain it so deadpan!!
Ugh, if my body hadn't been freed just then, right now I would be...
Haah... I kind of had my hopes up.
What?
N-nothing!

Oh and this next thing is totally how we got some of this story.

That's just its appearance. Could you at least try to use your imagination a little?
I think the problem is that you made it appear exactly like I described it.
I know, it's one of those things that automatically type out what you talk about on the phone, right?
I said not to judge it by its appearance.
You can't use this as a telephone. The receiver is just a decoration.
Don't put misleading decorations onto things...
Seriously. Don't tell me the typewriter part is also a decoration?
That can be used. Although, it isn't used for typing onto paper.
This is a communication device for exchanging messages with Ar Ciel.
It can communicate with Ar Ciel?
Yes, the letters that are put in can be sent to Ar Ciel, and it can also receive messages from them.
But isn't the distance to Ar Ciel ridiculously far?
Is it still possible to have decent communication with them?
Yes, I could explain the mechanisms used for that, but...
I highly doubt that you'd get the explanation, so I'll just call this the Gravitation Drive Communicator.
That's enough to have a general understanding of the mechanisms behind these devices, correct?
Not at all.
W-well, at least we understand that it's able to communicate.
Why don't we try using it to send a message?
Oh, that's a good idea! Sarly, can we use this?

Shurelia still has one of these but she never lets me use it to crank call those Ra Ciela rubes.

I know. Anyway, let's go...
"Greetings Ar Cielings. We are Ra Cielans."
...What's with that message? It sounds like something aliens would send.
Isn't this a standard for making first contact with another planet?
...It just sounds like a prank.
I'm telling you, it's not a prank. Anyway, I'm sending it.
Wow... He really sent it.
We should be prepared for their respect of Ra Ciela to drop significantly.
That won't happen, you're just overthinking it.
...Wait, huh? It looks like it's still in the process of sending it.
No way, I saw you press the send button. Also, the message was really short...
That's only natural. Do you realize how many tens of millions of light years away Ar Ciel is from us?
It's sending a message across a vast distance. Even if it's just a few words, it still takes quite some time.
So about how long does this take?
I think the limit for communication speed would be 30 baud, at best.
In other words, it could just barely reach about 1.8 letters per second.
That's super slow!
What would you do if you were trying to send or receive a long letter?
Naturally, you would have to wait for the communication to end.
...Sounds like you couldn't use this to send more than a short sentence.
Yeah... Oh look, it's receiving something!
It must be a reply to the message Delta sent.

I mean they’re asking for it, come on.

Is... That... Really... Something... To... Do... Across... Tens... Of... Millions... Of... Light... Years...?
...Looks like you're getting a lecture from Ar Ciel, one letter at a time... Delta, what are you going to do?
...Cass, what should I do?
This is your own fault. Sit there and wait until the entire thing is over.

They also made something that would have been helpful a while back.

Yes, the Ar noSurge Tube. The original operates in the 7th Dimension, but this operates in the 6th.
That's why I named this the Ar noSurge Tube LE.
Is that Light Edition?
That's right.
When you run power through it, it causes the space within a set radius to be shared across the 6th dimension.
So you're able to connect to all the Deltas in parallel worlds who also have similarly powered tubes.
Does that mean when I turn the power on, a bunch of me's and Cass's would show up out of nowhere!?
Wow, that's creepy. I heard that if you ever lock eyes with someone who looks like you, you die instantly...
Cass... Do you really believe in a superstition like that? And you won't see anybody from the parallel worlds.
The only thing connected is space. Any physical materials would be unaffected.
That's boring.
Anyway, if you equip and power this tube, the space around you will be shared across worlds.
In other words, the Maternal Overseer other Deltas are fighting would sync with the one you're fighting.
You should try it out. Before entering the Placenta, power up the tube.
Just be sure to cut power in any other location. I have no idea what could occur otherwise.
Got it. I'll try it.

That’s always the way, you come up with the best way to handle the enemy after you’ve mostly dealt with them.

Hmm... There's kind of an aurora effect going on.
But the movement inside the tube seems heavy, and a little eerie...
Yes, that's the image I was going for when I built it.
It looks pretty, but there's something somewhat eerie about it as well...
I think it's appearance is perfect for calling it DHW Drone.
I guess the liquid is kind of droning and wriggling around.
...No, that's not what I mean by drone.
I mean the continuous, low pitch music coming from it... You don't hear it?
...You call this music?
Now that you mention it, it's in classical music sometimes. Behind the instruments is a constant tone.
Yes, that would be a good sound to use to imagine this.
Does that mean it only lets you sing Song Magic in a long monotone?
Of course not. You wouldn't even be able to call that a song.
When you sing Song Magic while using this, it puts you into a meditative state.
A-a meditative state... Is it really safe to meditate in the middle of battle?
Of course it isn't. That's why you would have to protect Cass even more carefully than you do now.
In exchange, a state of meditation allows for great concentration on Song Magic, increasing power immensely.
...So does this mean that a droning sound forces you into a meditative state when you hear it?
Not really, but tones are used a lot during meditation.
Anyway, you just need to know that's the image I used to make this TxBIOS.
Droning meditation tones... I've never heard of stuff like this before.
Yeah... I think it would be better to just relax and listen to some normal music.

Sarly, meanwhile, had taken some time out to come up with something just for them.

A special recipe?
I think the name might give it away, but... Go ahead, take a look.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Operation Delta: Gratitude]!
A new operation Delta...? I didn't know you made another one...?
What's with that concerned look on your face?
Well, you know... I think I've been traumatized enough by these machines...
But this recipe... It's a bit strange. What do you mean by gratitude...?
...Thank you for noticing, Cass. But, I cannot reveal the answer to that question just yet.
Why not!? Is something bad going to happen again if you do?
Well, I have my reasons, you see...
So, if you're really curious, I recommend you gather the materials already.
...Just don't make anything that takes more years off my life, will ya?

It was actually pretty cool.

Hey, stop that! Don't aim something dangerous like that us!
Why would you think we'd like a missile!?
It's true it's shaped like a missile, but can't you see there's something strange about it?
Huh... Oh, there's something written on the outside.
It's written in a really peculiar font. Let's see... "Sariya x Shirotakaya Perfect Full Bloom!"?
Perfect full bloom on a missile? ...There's a limit to being dangerous.
I'd never do an unscrupulous thing like that.
This isn't a missile, it's a firework. I named it the S2 Missile Firework to show that it's a present from us.
Us? You're saying that someone else worked on this besides you, Sarly?
It may be more appropriate to say that we worked on the recipe together...

For one thing, for what it represented.

It's packed full of our thoughts and wishes for you two to live together in happiness forever.
Wait, what!? Why would you make something like that with Shirotaka!?
Don't you remember the name of the recipe? That recipe was full of my feelings of gratitude to you both.
I thought Operation Delta had something to do with my memories...
We just did that so it wouldn't spoil the surprise. Did I get your hopes up?
N-no... This is a lot better than getting yet another item that would traumatize me.
What do you mean by gratitude? I don't think we've done anything to deserve gratitude from you.
You haven't realized it? This is an item Shirotaka and myself worked together to make.
You already said that before...
Wait? Since you made it with Shirotaka, that means you went to see him!?
...That's right.
It's thanks to you two, especially you Cass, that I was able to get the courage to go see him alone.
That's why we made this together, as thanks to you.
Y-you really didn't need to make anything like this...
Well, I suppose I'm kind of forcing this onto you, but it really is full of my feelings of gratitude.
The gigantic heart firework at the end is especially impactful, I want you to see it.
Don't spoil it!!
Anyway, let's go outside.
Huh? Why?
I can't launch fireworks inside a building, can I?
Just leave the launch to me. Let's get going.

Fireworks are always a good call, I think everyone in Song Magic is a bit of an explosion aficionado.

What, you like the big ones? I prefer the ones that are more...
Woah!? That was a double firework! I like the ones like that.
The bigger ones are more showy. The entire night sky just lights up...
Huh? What was that one? It looked like some sort of shape, but the angle made it hard to see.
Haha, that happens a lot. I hope the next one faces this way...
Aaaah! Did you see that!? That was a Nyuroki shaped firework!
They can make fireworks like that? I had no idea!
Isn't it because Shirotaka and Sarly made this?
...There really have been a lot of different types being launched.
Yeah... I never thought that one missile could keep shooting fireworks for so long.
We need to thank them later.
Yeah, we should.
It's pretty rare to get to just relax and watch fireworks like this.
That's right... By the way, do you remember the festival in Felion last year?
Last year, uh...
Oh, I remember! We put in a request for a day off, but it was rejected at the last minute.
Yup. I was looking forward to the fireworks that day, but we didn't get to see them.
We thought we'd at least get to guard the festival, but we had to take the place of a sick office worker.
We were stuck indoors all night, and the fireworks were over by the time we were done.
That was just the worst... I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I felt miserable.
Wait? But the only one called in for work that day was me.
You weren't called in, so you didn't need to help.

Of course it is nicer watching fireworks with a guy who isn’t an idiot.

W-what?
You idiot... You're so slow... But that's just like you.
W-what's with you all of a sudden?
...Hmph, nevermind. I won't say anything until you realize it.
You're so unreasonable... How would I know what you're thinking?
So you seriously don't intend to talk. Could you give me a break here?
Argh, what do you want from me...
...It's about that day.
Did you forget that we decided to submit our requests together?
Now that you mention it, that was your suggestion...
...Oh, I see.
You wanted to go enjoy the festival together, didn't you?
Was I wrong?
You just barely made the time limit. Ugh, you're so forgetful...
I know... I'm sorry.
Hehe, it's okay.
You're an idiot, and slow, and forgetful, and you've been getting a little perverted lately, but...
Still, you remember things like this when you need to, and you can be really cool and cute sometimes...
I think that's going a little too far. I'm really worried that I'm just causing you trouble, you know?
That's all a part of you. Just like you've always been...
...I like you how you are.
Cass...
If it's with you, I could...

We had some really amazing ones right after the planet was revived. You know, celebrate the restoration of your world by blowing up a small chunk of it.

That mushroom firework... Was a little surreal.
Grr, I was all ready to say it, but that mushroom just ruined everything.
Hey, Sarly!! Why don't you consider the mood a little more!?
The sound of the fireworks is pretty loud, so I doubt she'd hear your angry yelling.
Uu... I was trying so hard not to get angry now...
Don't worry about it. I don't really mind.
I mind!
I've done it again. Why am I always like this...
It's not a big deal.
Yes it is, this isn't good at all...
I'm telling you that it's fine, so it's fine.
In fact, I wouldn't like you if you didn't act like yourself.
...Really?
I wouldn't lie.
You always yell, and you attack me, you're stubborn, and you act selfishly sometimes...
But you're always concerned for me, and you always stay together with me...
I wouldn't like you if you didn't act like that.
That's why I...
...You what?
...I'm grateful.
That's not what I wanted to hear...
What do you think... About me?
Cass, I always want to...

Seriously just something about all those blasts, just… Um, okay, focus. Story.

Looks like the last firework... I guess we're out of time.
No, let me hear it...
The thing I wanted to say was on that last firework.
I see... Hehe, I see.
Are you mad?
No... I wanted to hear your own words, but...
I know how you feel, so... I'll let it go for now.
Thanks... I know that this is something I need to say eventually, though...
There's no rush. I know how you feel, at least.
When that time comes, I'll tell you my own feelings properly, too.
Hearing something like that to look forward to makes me want to say it sooner.
Hehe... I'll be looking forward to the day when you finally tell me, too.

Their ‘ultimate recipe’ so far required some stew. The further ingredients made no more sense.

It looks like some sort of planet, but I don't know which one.
It was made using a recipe from Ar Ciel, so isn't this Ar Ciel?
...I suppose this isn't enough to realize it.
The planet shown here is our home world, Ra Ciela.
Ra Ciela!?
Yes. This projector displays an image of Ra Ciela...
I call it the Ra Ciela Factor.
W-wait a minute! You made this using the recipe we got from Ar Ciel, right?
Then why would it project an image of Ra Ciela?
...There could be some sort of connection to the Teru Tribe.
Their ancestors were from Ra Ciela, just like us. Have you forgotten?
It's possible that long ago, one of them created this in memory of their home planet, leaving an image of it.
So you're saying someone from Ra Ciela made this recipe 5000 years ago?
I don't know if they created the recipe, but it's true that their thoughts have been left in here.
There's really no other explanation.
...I wonder if they all just wanted to go back home?
I'm sure, but Ra Ciela was destroyed. They were better off than just wandering around space forever...
...No, I can't be sure of that. It's bad to just assume things.
Regardless, there's no mistaking that their thoughts went into this.
We can't let that go to waste. I'll be sure to use this with care along with the other materials.

This just left the ones that were Ion’s responsibility.

Tattoria, be careful!! The drop is going to spill!!
Oh, right right. This is a super valuable item, so I can't spill it.
Is it really that valuable? It just looks like a drop of water on a leaf...
Heh heh, it might appear that way, but this is actually a super awesome item.
How is it awesome?
Huh? Well, it's uh...
Yes?
U-um...
I-it has a super awesome effect! The effect is so awesome, it puts any other medicine to shame!
Um, I'm trying to figure out exactly what that effect is here...
Ion, give him a break. Even Tattoria doesn't know.
I know it's super awesome, though.
The recipe itself was an awesome item, so I would hope so.
And isn't it strange to say it's complete when you don't even know what kind of effect it has?
I just made it according to the recipe. I can't do anything more than that.
...Maybe it was a mistake to let Tattoria make this...
Hmm... But if he made it according to the recipe, there shouldn't be an issue.
Even though we don't know its effect.
A-ahaha...
What do you think?

Earthes seemed skeptical of the strange fluid.

No, I really doubt that this is a drug, of all things.
Yeah, I doubt that too.
Oh, but this was a recipe we received in Ar Ciel, right?
So maybe it's normal medicine to the people on Ar Ciel, but to us it could have effects like a drug...
No, I don't think we need to worry about that.
The compounds used in this medicine point to something able to cure any illness.
So you did know what it does!
No, I don't know. The only thing I know is that it's super awesome.
It might have the effect to cure any illness, but it's so powerful that the user would have adverse effects.
I see... It's only natural that more powerful medicine has more effects on the body.
Right. That's why it's medicine and poison at the same time. You want to use it, but you can't.
And that's why I don't know what kind of effect this stuff would have.
I'm pretty sure that this needs to be combined with other materials, rather than used by itself.
Looks like it.
But I really wonder what it could be used to make?

They headed to Kanon next.

It's true there is fire, but it's not the normal fire you're thinking of, Ionasal.
Within this Manaf Crystal burns the flame of life. It is truly a mysterious crystal.
The flame of life?
So then wouldn't it be hot to touch?
I wonder? I haven't touched it myself, so I wouldn't know.
The moment the crystal was completed, the flame suddenly appeared inside...
I see... But the crystal isn't hot to the touch, so it must not be the same as a normal fire.
It’s pretty, I’d want to use it as a decoration./Let’s break it and check!
I think it would be really wondrous to light up your room at night using only this...
That's quite true...
Now that you put it that way, it feels like a shame to use this as a material.
So... What kind of item can you create using this?
It's already pretty amazing. I can't imagine what it could become.
Yes... Perhaps this flame of life holds some sort of meaning?
Regardless, this is all that I can do.
The rest should be left to Sarly.

As for the overall result, well…

Wow... Look Delta! There's a shining flower inside here.
It's really pretty. Is this a flower that grows on Ar Ciel?
I'm not sure myself, since the most I could do was read the information in the recipe...
This flower is made from special energy, in the shape of a flower known as a "carnation."
Huh, I didn't know there were flowers that shine like this.
No, apparently the carnation itself is just an ordinary flower.
This is just the shape of a carnation. There's no actual flower inside here.
Well, it would be a little scary if there actually was a flower that shines like this.
But it also feels a little anticlimactic.
Yeah. We gathered all those materials to make this, but it's just a glowing flower inside a tube...
I thought we'd end up with a special machine that could do something awesome.
...Did you seriously think you'd get something like that using materials like meat and potato stew?
It's also pretty strange that you used meat and potato stew to make this, you know.
Well, setting aside the meat and potato stew, I should get to explaining this.
While it may simply appear to be a shining flower in a tube, it's actually an absurdly amazing item.
According to the recipe, it is able to perform a single miracle.
A miracle? Like what?

Honestly we probably could have used some of these.

A miracle to negate sorrow...
That sounds nice to have and all, but I would prefer not to have to use something like that.
Regardless if this works or not, it's important to prevent things like that from happening in the first place.
Right. If we have something like this, we might relax too much and let our guard down in the future.
I know I'm one to get carried away by things like this...
Haha, I see...
However, your way of thinking is admirable.
While this wouldn't be troubling to have, it's also true that not using it is best.
Well, I guess we can just take it, and think of it as a good luck charm.
Yes, I think that's best.
What's this called, anyway? Should we just call it a shining carnation?
No, the name of this item was written in the recipe. Let's see, it was...
Reincarnation...
Reincarnation... A flower that can perform a miracle.
Ar Ciel really is an amazing place, if they even have recipes to make things like this.
Yeah... I'd like to go again, if we get the chance.

Ugh, that pun… Okay, I’m up, kind of a bit wired in fact. Hey, let’s go blow some things up, what do you say? Alright!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It just keeps going! It's been like two months since anything's actually happened. I've forgotten what's even supposed to be going on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I completely forgot Ion's side existed until now, wow. And Delta/Cass still keep weird tension in spite of both confessing multiple times, and being clearly aware of what the other feels, because...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Backloading all the synthesis talks until right before the end of the game probably wasn't the best idea in hindsight.

Although I suppose no one predicted that extenuating circumstances on Feinne's part would slow updates as much as they have.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Backloading all the synthesis talks until right before the end of the game probably wasn't the best idea in hindsight.

Although I suppose no one predicted that extenuating circumstances on Feinne's part would slow updates as much as they have.

Yeah that's just how the game is set up, we literally could not do these until just before the end of the game.

I might seriously just push on and finish things, we're so loving close. Then I can do the Shirotaka dives at my leisure. This LP is really kinda dragging on me as I'm sure you can tell.

As a refresher, we just turned Cosal into a Heart of Gaea and we're going to head to where Ra Ciela was and use it to create a new planet, which will as it happens provoke the final boss fight and end the game. Which ending we get depends on one of two things: Which party we choose to start the final boss fight with (we'll be using both at various points though) and whether or not we have the Reincarnation we just made.

EDIT: Yeah double checked and I can end the game at any time, I might try and record the final boss and get Delta/Cass's ending and have that up at some point this week, then record Ion/Earthes so I can do that while I'm traveling for work the first of the year.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 28, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A rein-carnation.

I'm going to start punting people into space now and I'm not going to stop until someone apologizes for that.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Yeah that's just how the game is set up, we literally could not do these until just before the end of the game.

I might seriously just push on and finish things, we're so loving close. Then I can do the Shirotaka dives at my leisure. This LP is really kinda dragging on me as I'm sure you can tell.

EDIT: Yeah double checked and I can end the game at any time, I might try and record the final boss and get Delta/Cass's ending and have that up at some point this week, then record Ion/Earthes so I can do that while I'm traveling for work the first of the year.

Not gonna lie, I really want to see what the hell is up Pram's puppeteer: we've been waiting over half the bloody game to find out, and it's still a mystery. And for the record, still guessing Ion's sister.

Glazius posted:

A rein-carnation.

I'm going to start punting people into space now and I'm not going to stop until someone apologizes for that.

One doesn't apologize for terrible puns; one doubles down on them :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Does the Japanese version use that same terrible carnation pun? :stare:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Japanese version probably has ten times the number of bad puns overall.

Japan loves pun based humour and a lot of it understandably doesn't translate.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Super Jay Mann posted:

Does the Japanese version use that same terrible carnation pun? :stare:

Apparently Japanese takes the english name of the carnation as a loan word, so yes. That pun was in the original.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's such a good pun, though it does kind of make the specific tragedy it's going to deal with a bit obvious.

It's actually really rough honestly, maybe the most brutal scene in the series.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Got Delta and Cass' version of the ending, and was reminded that the final boss of Ar Nosurge is in fact divine punishment on a weary world for its sins because holy gently caress is it an awful fight.

Like Mir continues to be the best actual boss fight in the series (InfelxNenesha is really close) what the gently caress Gust original Ar Tonelico should not still be eclipsing your poo poo.

Anyway it's in the can and the raw is encoding so I can work with it, hopefully that goes well (it's loving enormous, because the whole shebang takes like an hour and a half) and I can get videos cut to do the first half of an ending like Friday or so.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Got Delta and Cass' version of the ending, and was reminded that the final boss of Ar Nosurge is in fact divine punishment on a weary world for its sins because holy gently caress is it an awful fight.

Like Mir continues to be the best actual boss fight in the series (InfelxNenesha is really close) what the gently caress Gust original Ar Tonelico should not still be eclipsing your poo poo.

Anyway it's in the can and the raw is encoding so I can work with it, hopefully that goes well (it's loving enormous, because the whole shebang takes like an hour and a half) and I can get videos cut to do the first half of an ending like Friday or so.

The fight takes an hour and a half, or the entire ending? Because the former would well and truly be horrific.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Ar-series games seem to be an experimental test bed for GUST. Every one of them has different gameplay systems, whereas their mainline Atelier games are more iterative. Trouble is, the experimental stuff is very hit-or-miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

The fight takes an hour and a half, or the entire ending? Because the former would well and truly be horrific.

The whole process but the fights are a LOT of it. I'd say at least forty minutes of final boss fighting, and one of the longer phases even has a pretty blah music track.

Okay so here's thing one to remember: there are effectively SEVEN phases to this loving fight and every single one of them is boring as gently caress.

• Locked thread