Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Banksy put this video together, titled "Rebel Rocket Attack"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsF3HspQY6A

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ordinary Victories by Emmanuel Larcenet

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Bohemian Nights posted:

Ordinary Victories by Emmanuel Larcenet

gently caress, that was amazing.

From The Act of Killing, one of my favorite documentaries of all time.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Euronews posted:

Divers have resumed the search for bodies from a boat carrying African migrants that sank off the Italian island of Lampedusa last Thursday.

A total of 16 new bodies were found on Sunday morning, taking the overall death toll by lunchtime to 127. Some 155 people survived the disaster and up to 250 migrants are still missing. Reuters/Antonio Parrinello

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Found at California GOP conference

Steve Bell (UK Guardian cartoonist) back in 2008 US election.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

It's old, as the date shows, but I just noticed it today.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tea Party supporters blaming Obama for the Tea Party shutting down the government. This loving country.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Someone brought up Jack Chick a few pages ago. Let's see what he's drawing now!

That's not edited, but this is:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 7, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Blackpool, UK

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Good thing Assyria hasn't been around for awhile, then.

"Churchill telling a fairytale:
"England fights for the little peoples freedom..."
Lower text -
But the truth is like this!
some barely readable text about the "World review" 1942 june edition or smth quoting the following
"The Baltic Countries - Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have to belong to the Soviet Union. They were during a long time an impartable part of the Czars country and noone thought to consider that belonging to them would be unfair."
Germany will make sure that this satanic intention will merely be a wish(?) of the English.
Estonians - remember this!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fandyien posted:

Good thing Assyria hasn't been around for awhile, then.

Could you expand on that or provide some interesting reading on the topic?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The Assyrians were basically just metal as poo poo.

"Royal palaces comprised ornaments depicting winged bulls with human heads, symbolically watching the building. Columns raised for commemorating the victories took pride in the name of the defeated enemy and the number of beheaded or impaled persons. Many bas-reliefs depicted the king killing or mutilating enemies or lions during the hunt."

From a relatively nonacademic source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Assyrians-the-Lords-of-the-Massacres-77262.shtml

The bible also has a lot to say about Assyrians and the Neo-Assyrian conquest of Judea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_captivity_of_Israel

"Against him came up Shalmaneser king of Assyria; and Hoshea became his servant, and gave him presents. And the king of Assyria found conspiracy in Hoshea: for he had sent messengers to So king of Egypt, and brought no present to the king of Assyria, as he had done year by year: therefore the king of Assyria shut him up, and bound him in prison. Then the king of Assyria came up throughout all the land, and went up to Samaria, and besieged it three years. In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes.(II Kings 17:3-6)"

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Meanwhile, CRIME in Scotland

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Meanwhile, CRIME in Scotland

"If someone's found the time to poo poo down your Chimney then you probably deserved it." - Robert The Bruce.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

What the hell is the context of this?

Iran's English news service mistaking an Onion article as factual.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

LP97S posted:

That's Jimmie Ċkesson, leader of Swedish populist idiot party Sverigedemokraterna (Sweden Democrats)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Putin seems to be having more fun talking to US leaders this week.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

LP97S posted:

To give a little more context. He's the leader of a racist party in Sweden. That was taken during the debate between all the party leaders. The guy in front was talking and suddenly Jimmie dozed off and started smiling like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKtZ05rzKGE
Here he's on BBC.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Putin looks really old and bad there ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_VszbZa_s

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gerald Ford with Tip O'Neill and House Republican leader John Rhodes and John Rhodes' amazing pants.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oh yes, the fashionable golf pants. Used to be the bane of my young life when my dad would show up at school to pick us up and he still had his goddamned ugly rear end golf pants on because he just finished playing 18 on his day off. He did that poo poo on purpose. :gonk:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Ed Schultz was missed

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBPBmTgUN8
Hey look another famous youtuber using "science" to justify blaming the victim in rape. This time with the new "I'm not blaming the victim but" technique.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Iceland's prime minister as Kirk, minister of finance as spock.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I've mentioned before how The Simpsons really shows its age when it reflects the distribution of wealth and place of the middle class. Here's another example from S1

Ah... for the good old days when it was only that unequal

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

I've mentioned before how The Simpsons really shows its age when it reflects the distribution of wealth and place of the middle class. Here's another example from S1

Ah... for the good old days when it was only that unequal

Simpsons used to be very critical of Capitalism. Most of the early episodes showed the Simpsons being poor and barely able to scrape by. The media condemned Bart Simpson as being a bad influence for kids and most Simpsons merchandise were banned from schools. Politicians blamed the Simpsons for a decay of moral values, etc, etc.

Then the show stopped criticizing Capitalism and shifted to "Homer is a moron who has a new job, here's a celebrity." Suddenly it became a beloved American institution. The voice actors faced multiple threats to be replaced by scabs whenever they asked for a raise despite the show being a license to print money for News Corp.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Woody Allen on Nazis.

I'd like to say something about him being a creep, but by Hollywood standards banging your girlfriend's daughter is almost normal.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 8, 2013

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
The protests in Rio's state teacher's strike continue to have very... diverse adherents.

The protests have gone bolder, a bus was burned and molotovs were thrown into the Military Club (which honors the military coup from the 60s every year as a glorious and necessary revolution to save Brazil from them Goddamn Commies)

bagual fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 8, 2013

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Our new government has officially stated that they are going to allow the police to carry a gun at all times. I'm sure this won't ever become an issue in the future. The cops are such trustworthy fellows:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:
I had no idea you people had a "Libertarian Party".

Unlearning
May 7, 2011

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJ93tAbPP0

This is a companion to the oft-posted image about inequality in America image - a display of how inequality is / should be / we think it is, but in Britain.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is what a Nobel prize looks like:

Today's Nobel prize in physics went to Peter Higgs and François Englert,

"for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the Atlas and CMS experiments at Cern's Large Hadron Collider"

It's a pretty controversial decision as three collaborators who did their work in the states produced a similar paper and missed out, not to mention the fact that CERN's experiments didn't get a share of the prize, though they did get a mention. It is, however, a nice example of what we, not as a society, nor a country, but as a species can achieve if we put our minds and resources into discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I've always liked how in hot weather countries, business dress is dictated by the actual temperature, whereas in the west you have to wear sweltering wool suits no matter the climate.

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is what a Nobel prize looks like:

Today's Nobel prize in physics went to Peter Higgs and François Englert,

"for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the Atlas and CMS experiments at Cern's Large Hadron Collider"

It's a pretty controversial decision as three collaborators who did their work in the states produced a similar paper and missed out, not to mention the fact that CERN's experiments didn't get a share of the prize, though they did get a mention. It is, however, a nice example of what we, not as a society, nor a country, but as a species can achieve if we put our minds and resources into discovery.

Ahhh Nobel season, that magical time of year where journalists try to boil down decades of scientific research and discovery into 2 minute accessible TV segments that can be understood by people who couldn't find Sweden on a map. "The so called GOD Particle..."

• Locked thread