Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Nocturtle posted:

We're getting so thoroughly shock-doctrined post-Soviet Russia style it's hard to comprehend the scale. Nurse salaries potentially being capped in a bipartisan effort and randos being allowed to teach school children. Who knows what other shenanigans capital is getting up to while we're all constantly distracted avoiding infections and figuring out respirators. A total one-sided the victory for the rich, with virtually no organized movement against people getting marched back to work in dangerous conditions. The only real resistance has come from individuals dropping out of the labour force to save themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm glad autotranslate clarified that this is not one of those casual half-assed self-immolations

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think this thing has changed my mind on universal health care. Not only do I not want to pay for all these assholes for the rest of their (shortened) lives, I don't think there is any way we possibly could.

Can the insurance companies please come out with vaccinated and unvaccinated rates? That actually reflect reality?

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Bullfrog posted:

how in hell are those fire extinguishers not doing jack poo poo. that is insane

Extinguisher not rated for grease fires

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Just got a reminder about a dentist appointment I've got scheduled 2 weeks from now.

I don't have a pressing need to go to the dentist right now, but it has been far too long since I went. So long that they're having me do a full/extended examination etc etc.

I don't have dental insurance right now, and prob need to see how much it'll cost.

I also don't want to get the rona. Message said masks were required and they'd do screening at the front desk.

Don't know how I'm feeling about this one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Baddog posted:

I think this thing has changed my mind on universal health care. Not only do I not want to pay for all these assholes for the rest of their (shortened) lives, I don't think there is any way we possibly could.

Can the insurance companies please come out with vaccinated and unvaccinated rates? That actually reflect reality?

For the short term I'd just settle for not allowing unvaccinated adults to perform a year long (and counting) denial of service attack on the entire health care system.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Baddog posted:

means testing aimed at chuds, or anyone moronic enough to not take simple precautions during a deadly pandemic, is the only way i'd support universal health care of any nature now. Make your own bed, lie in it, as far as i'm concerned. Ask your prayer warriors and brunch covidians for a handout, not me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Just got a reminder about a dentist appointment I've got scheduled 2 weeks from now.

I don't have a pressing need to go to the dentist right now, but it has been far too long since I went. So long that they're having me do a full/extended examination etc etc.

I don't have dental insurance right now, and prob need to see how much it'll cost.

I also don't want to get the rona. Message said masks were required and they'd do screening at the front desk.

Skipping the dentist is really dangerous, I know because I did it once and paid the price. I haven't seen a friend or family in person in about 6 months rn and I still went to the dentist.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Skipping the dentist is really dangerous, I know because I did it once and paid the price. I haven't seen a friend or family in person in about 6 months rn and I still went to the dentist.

I haven't been to the dentist in.... too many years. And I've got some fake teeth and poo poo from a bad bike accident. Probably ought let them check it out

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Baddog posted:

If your idea of government can't serve and protect extremely dumb people its not a suitable governance system for humanity.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I skipped routine cleanings in 2020 but at this point COVID isn't going away so I have a checkup planned in a couple of weeks that I intend to go to because there is no point in delaying things at this point it isn't like things might be better in three months.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

means testing aimed at chuds, or anyone moronic enough to not take simple precautions during a deadly pandemic, is the only way i'd support universal health care of any nature now. Make your own bed, lie in it, as far as i'm concerned. Ask your prayer warriors and brunch covidians for a handout, not me.

You open the door to those kinds of cost-saving measures and you will eventually find yourself on the other end of this equation as capitalists aim to reduce expenses constantly.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
well don’t italians get to throw fireballs? have I been misled?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Did Matty Y really make an NFT of his heads hot just to have the hexagon twitter profile picture? Lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Thoguh posted:

For the short term I'd just settle for not allowing unvaccinated adults to perform a year long (and counting) denial of service attack on the entire health care system.

As far as i'm concerned wilful denial should end in you dying at home as the predictable result of your own intractable stupidity. Other people who need that care are being hosed over by these plague rats, so why not give them their wish and let them die free? I'm loving sick of antivaxxers and brunch covidians so much lmao.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
A return to normal would require China to drop COVID zero since “normal” means fully stocked shelves, chips forcheaper cars etc.

China isn’t doing that so expect the chuds, dark web dweebs and blue maga to keep flinging poo poo in anger.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I haven't been to the dentist in.... too many years. And I've got some fake teeth and poo poo from a bad bike accident. Probably ought let them check it out

I skipped for 4 years in college and when they did xrays there was a pocket of uh... digested cell material in my head where an infection had been growing and it almost reached my brain but they caught it in time. It didn't hurt or cause any issues which is the freakiest part. Antibiotics and a root canal took care of it but got dang that was creepy.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zodium posted:

The sublime truth of war is expressed not by what happens between warmachines, but by that which transpires between warmachines and War, and which entails the extinction of warmachines once and for all. The Sadean conspiracy of war stands against every tactically-driven regulation of warmachines inspired by an individual or collective impetus to survival. Only by devouring all warmachines, regardless of their ferocity or adaptability, does war reach a terminal plane of autonomy out of which pure Strategy rises as the ultimate ethics of war. The ethics of war is only attainable when the tactics associated with warmachines reach a malignant multiplicity for which both the designatory plane of tactics and the line of command become redundant.

The contamination between conspiracy theories and what is customarily viewed as ’real politics' is mutual and irreversible. If the state uses a strategic weapon to distract the masses, this does not mean that the weapon always functions properly or reaches the intended target. Strategy is a two-edged sword; contrary to the command perspective, the presence of strategy in the battlefield testifies against its fidelity and alliance. Strategic weapons are not merely autonomous in their versatility, but also in their departure from the line of command. The use of trash politics by the state might conform to its micro-politics of anti-resistance, but like all strategic weapons, trash politics have ambitions of their own.

:nsa:

What’s this from?

Also imagine feeling so much rage about getting a shot to protect yourself from a deadly disease that you set yourself on fire instead of realizing the true source of your anger and directing it into something more productive like Minecraft.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Glumwheels posted:

A return to normal would require China to drop COVID zero since “normal” means fully stocked shelves, chips forcheaper cars etc.

China isn’t doing that so expect the chuds, dark web dweebs and blue maga to keep flinging poo poo in anger.

China being Covid Zero is the only reason anything is stocked anymore at all though

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Salt Fish posted:

I skipped for 4 years in college and when they did xrays there was a pocket of uh... digested cell material in my head where an infection had been growing and it almost reached my brain but they caught it in time. It didn't hurt or cause any issues which is the freakiest part. Antibiotics and a root canal took care of it but got dang that was creepy.

every now and then I see articles about how modern routine dental care is like a huge blessing for extending longevity and it’s like “what just to avoid cavities?” but then remember that bad teeth and mouth infections probably whipped peoples asses for millennia

Teenage Riot posted:

China being Covid Zero is the only reason anything is stocked anymore at all though

If only I really liked my job perhaps I would tell material buyers that post-Olympics supply chain is gonna be even more hosed up than it is today, but nahhhh

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

What’s this from?

cyclonopedia.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I just called them up, and spoke with a lady in billing that I've known for ages (*been going to the same dentist since I was a little kid, she's nice, and has helped me out in the past - when I busted up a bunch of teeth etc).
Uninsured cost won't be that bad (*its like $200 for a full cleaning, exam, and xray. the bigger xray exam, that i'll prob need is another $130). They make everyone wear a mask in their office, except once patients are in the exam room they can take them off.
I'mma just cross the fingers and roll the dice. It's been 5 years since I've been to the dentist (*I know, I've posted many many times about being a big dumb idiot)

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1488232560769519616

https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1488232396700925961

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

AppleNippleBOB posted:

for things like this i take a moment to check the new cases in my particular area, to get an idea of how the current wave is affecting my area (definitely don't rely on any nationwide trend). to some degree the best we can do is ensure things like this happen during the lulls. i likewise am putting off a dentists appointment (my local area is still ramping up new cases, actually i just checked and we're on the decline, good 4 us i guess).

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 49 days!

Rutibex posted:

CPU Abuser is absolutely correct in the way they are approaching this. we are in an information war. exposing yourself to memetic agents makes you more susceptible to them just like covid particles.
I actually missed that. But it's true.

And I suddenly realized that's yet another reason to be glad I don't own a TV.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Glumwheels posted:

Masking in Asian societies seems to have no issues along with kids wearing masks.

that's because asian cultures don't value individuality

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, I get it. When I post things like that, it's never intended as an attack on anyone here. Posters in this thread appear to by and large be the kind of parents who actually give a poo poo about their kids and their health.

But there are also a lot of parents who just don't want to deal with it. Or have actual ideological objections to the idea of keeping their kids home if they can physically get out of bed. I'd hesitate to blame them in the same way I kind of hesitate to blame anyone for being completely warped by our insane society, but anyone who's ever worked in education in any capacity will tell you that there are a lot of really loving awful parents out there.

But also schools are really bad for spreading illnesses and containing things like flu outbreaks has always been a huge issue. It's incredibly disturbing to see the level of consent manufacturing happening around that, and I don't blame so many educators for just getting the gently caress out altogether.

when i was a kid if i said i felt sick but wasnt vomiting and didnt have a 99+ degree fever my parents assumed i was making it up to stay home and sent me to school

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Chamale posted:

Thinking about how Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is greatly reduced by better maternity leave, but America has decided that 2,000 babies every year is just the price of freedom.

The price of freedom to starve.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Salt Fish posted:

Too gross on second thought.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 31, 2022

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1488166954787479565

I'm still trying to figure out if Topol and the other bluecheck doctors got outright bribed to become Biden apologists, or if their masters threatened to pull their laboratory funding

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Reverend Dr posted:

for things like this i take a moment to check the new cases in my particular area, to get an idea of how the current wave is affecting my area (definitely don't rely on any nationwide trend). to some degree the best we can do is ensure things like this happen during the lulls. i likewise am putting off a dentists appointment (my local area is still ramping up new cases, actually i just checked and we're on the decline, good 4 us i guess).

Yeah, I don't trust this chart, but hey. I'm gonna go to the dentist anyways.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

that's because asian cultures don't value individuality

when i was a kid if i said i felt sick but wasnt vomiting and didnt have a 99+ degree fever my parents assumed i was making it up to stay home and sent me to school

:eng99:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shear Modulus posted:

same but I was making it up to stay home from school

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I just called them up, and spoke with a lady in billing that I've known for ages (*been going to the same dentist since I was a little kid, she's nice, and has helped me out in the past - when I busted up a bunch of teeth etc).
Uninsured cost won't be that bad (*its like $200 for a full cleaning, exam, and xray. the bigger xray exam, that i'll prob need is another $130). They make everyone wear a mask in their office, except once patients are in the exam room they can take them off.
I'mma just cross the fingers and roll the dice. It's been 5 years since I've been to the dentist (*I know, I've posted many many times about being a big dumb idiot)

Go to the dentist, Buddykins

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

In my early 20's I had a filling where the dentist (military dentist) left some cotton under the filling. This turned into a root canal years later where they had to put a metal post into the tooth to keep it together. Years later that rotted into an abscess which started to rot my jaw and my face swelled up something crazy. I had to pay in cash on a Saturday to have a hole drilled into my jaw to drain black puss out and then they extracted the tooth. Months later they had to put me under and build up my now hosed up jaw with cadaver bone dust because of what rotted out. Then they had to put in a titanium screw and then a fake tooth over it. Even with insurance the bill was in the thousands.

The worst part of all this? It was a preventative filling! I didn't have a rotten tooth or a cavity. There was the potential for one to happen and I was going to be sent to an area where there wouldn't be any dentists anything like that or a real way to get to one quickly for months. So they said "you might get a cavity, maybe, so we are just going to go ahead and do this just in case so it won't hurt if it happens". And nope, I can't make the military pay for it either.

I'm still pissed about the whole thing.

JFC I would be pissed, too.

Hope your mouth/face gets better.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

It was a while back I'm fine now. But yeah. Going to the dentist was how I landed in that mess. But then I needed the dentist to get out of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Yeah, I don't trust this chart, but hey. I'm gonna go to the dentist anyways.

2 weeks from now cases will still be super high but also probably are gonna be the lowest case counts we see all winter since the initial Omicron wave is going down and BA.2 won't have hit yet.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1488166954787479565

I'm still trying to figure out if Topol and the other bluecheck doctors got outright bribed to become Biden apologists, or if their masters threatened to pull their laboratory funding

There’s absolutely some coordinated poo poo going on with “it’s mild” and the herd immunity stuff.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Yo I didn't go to the dentist for many years due to dental phobia and I've even been going. Legit it's medical care and you really don't want to put it off any longer. Eventually my fear of my teeth rotting out of my head or getting a tooth infection pushed me to go.

If it makes you feel better it's more dangerous for the hygienist and the dentist since they're the ones exposed to all your aerosols whereas they're going to be wearing masks and possibly face shields depending on what they're doing

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Also, FWIW. I'm not the only one I know who has had this situation happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Joementum posted:

i would simply get the vaccine

warning: this is a video of a man setting himself on fire

https://twitter.com/INVESTMENTSHULK/status/1488211524262977542

Self immolation seems to be a much less powerful statement when you don't have the incredible stoicism of a Buddhist monk.

Embarrassingly enough, when I was in a much darker place and still in the bargaining phase of climate doomer grief, I was trying to figure out what I could personally do as an individual to move the needle on climate action. I thought perhaps self immolation in front of the white house would surely at least catch people's attention. It turns out at least one person's already tried it and no one gave a gently caress or even really reported on it lol.

If it turns out this guy really did do this as an anti-vax protest and it picks up widespread media attention I'm going to turn into the joker.