Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ICHIBAHN posted:

How did she kill herself?

Look it up for yourself or somebody can PM you if they feel like it, this isn't an aspect of the topic I want to see discussed here at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

How did she kill herself?

Also that crotch chop is the worst

Suicide from being bullied to death and it's best left at that, no need to get ghoulish about it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Dave got a lot of flack rightfully from the Tsukushi thing (quick summary: she was involved in some sort of altercation with Kagetsu which involved Kagetsu almost being stabbed and Tsukushi getting arrested,. details are very murky and no one is talking about it) because at the time Tsukushi was a minor and under Japanese law (and the law of most countries thinking about it) if a minor is arrested the media isn't supposed to identify them until they get convicted of a crime if they do if they do get convicted and that one wasn't out there until he reported it. I think that plus some other things that Dave has said has put some people in a position where he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for things and some people just assume the worst, rightly or wrongly. I personally would rather he didn't report the method (and the general rule is to not report it unless its seen as newsworthy which I don't think in this case it is really) but to say that he went against the wishes of the family is a bit silly when Kyoko's statement (more aimed at the Japanese mainstream media where this is a big story and they were hassling people about it) came out something like six hours after that episode of WOR was released.

There's a lot of people out there weaponising Hana's death to go after people and I'm not a big fan of that. There's that example; there's the wrestlers who tried to use it to go after people that complain about bad matches or general criticism rather than abuse; those weird people that used it to justify them not watching Joshi wrestling for some reason; there are people who will use it in that sort of way and I'm not a big fan of that. I think that you can get valid debates out of a death like this - like the overall focus on cyberbullying and reality TV at the moment, I think that talking about fan culture more broadly (perhaps more specifically the whole "Stan culture" thing where people sending abuse is seen as being "a good fan") and specifically idol culture in Japan is probably something that ought to be discussed especially since you've seen a not very good example of the former within WWE in the last couple of days but that's different to using it to carry on another argument.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hope the fucker in this tweet never works another drat match ever again.

https://twitter.com/IVPvideos/status/1265804676819308544?s=20

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Same, also he's Merlok in Chikara.

Edit: Guess not, my mistake trusting cagematch.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 28, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

syzpid posted:

Same, also he's Merlok in Chikara.

Are you sure? While they've both wrestled as Havoc or Havok, Merlok is from NYC and was trained by Afa, while Hollenbeck is from Washington and had been wrestling in Canada for two years before Merlok debuted. Also Merlok is definitely not a cruiserweight.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's a different person. abc - always be careful.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lamuella posted:

Are you sure? While they've both wrestled as Havoc or Havok, Merlok is from NYC and was trained by Afa, while Hollenbeck is from Washington and had been wrestling in Canada for two years before Merlok debuted. Also Merlok is definitely not a cruiserweight.

So this is what I'm going off of:

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/dave-hollenbeck-3634.html

has him listed as wrestling at a PPW show as Havoc

The cagematch listing for both those shows has Havoc listed as Merlok too. Also doesn't help that Merlok's arms are always covered.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=150218

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=3862&name=Havoc

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

syzpid posted:

So this is what I'm going off of:

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/dave-hollenbeck-3634.html

has him listed as wrestling at a PPW show as Havoc

The cagematch listing for both those shows has Havoc listed as Merlok too. Also doesn't help that Merlok's arms are always covered.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=150218

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=3862&name=Havoc

OK, this is the Havoc who wrestles / wrestled for PPW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOE_9NKBMw

Not the same guy as Hollenbeck.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just a heads up but cagematch has them listed as different people as well. here's the bad guy. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=11661&gimmick=Havoc+

if you want to think of a funny thing, imagine they are the same person and he did two matches in pennsylvania in july of 2016, then flew to oregon and had a match the next day, all for nobody independent money

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Davros1 posted:

Clicking through hes a Sandy Hook truther too

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Lid posted:

Clicking through hes a Sandy Hook truther too

Can't wait for him to main event Wrestlemania 40.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

IceAgeComing posted:

Dave got a lot of flack rightfully from the Tsukushi thing (quick summary: she was involved in some sort of altercation with Kagetsu which involved Kagetsu almost being stabbed and Tsukushi getting arrested,. details are very murky and no one is talking about it) because at the time Tsukushi was a minor and under Japanese law (and the law of most countries thinking about it) if a minor is arrested the media isn't supposed to identify them until they get convicted of a crime if they do if they do get convicted and that one wasn't out there until he reported it. I think that plus some other things that Dave has said has put some people in a position where he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for things and some people just assume the worst, rightly or wrongly. I personally would rather he didn't report the method (and the general rule is to not report it unless its seen as newsworthy which I don't think in this case it is really) but to say that he went against the wishes of the family is a bit silly when Kyoko's statement (more aimed at the Japanese mainstream media where this is a big story and they were hassling people about it) came out something like six hours after that episode of WOR was released.
I don't think it's unfair to say that Dave hasn't really adhered to modern standards on sensitive topics, though. When Elgin sued Mo, regardless of what you think of her, Dave (and others—he wasn't alone here) running her real name was just...not how you handle that kind of thing now. Even if you don't believe her, the AP standard that everyone else applies is that you don't give the real name of someone who *says* they're a victim of a sexual assault without their permission.

And no matter how much I *gently* tried to nudge Dave about it, Dave kept saying "pfft, every journalistic ethics expert I talked to said you don't withhold the name of someone who's being sued," ignoring/leaving out that the context was she was being sued over claims she made directly connected to her sexual assault allegations. Which Dave then turned into evidence of me conspiring against him. And that's not even gettng into his weird blind linking of that unsourced Elgin defender blog on his forum.

Is it me or was Dave better at this kind of thing when Scott Williams was around?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'd agree with all of that; which is why I don't think its that weird that people that don't really pay attention to what he says that closely naturally assume that he's doing something wrong especially when the order that they heard the various things (Kyoko saying to not publicise things like the cause of death then Dave mentioning what it was) made it feel like he did. If people don't trust you then they'll probably automatically think the worst; while if they do then they don't.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Seems to fit right in at the wwe

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Seems to fit right in at the wwe

Tag team with Lars Sullivan

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The method of her death carries a cultural weight that it doesn't here in the west. It's been a huge issue in Japan for more than a decade, so there's additional reasons her family is so serious about privacy. Which every family who loses a loved one so horribly would already want and deserve.

Unfortunately the Japanese media won't be treating this sensitively, and I don't expect that a lot of journalists here will make any extra effort to figure out why. They'd have to spend time trying to learn about Idol culture and it's relationship with Japanese social media, the issues of suicide and mental health in Japan and how it's changed over the last few decades, portrayals of race and gender in Japanese pop culture, etc. It's too much for Dave to handle, and no one else will bother.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dave has enough trouble unpacking issues in his own society, doing it for a different one is basically a black box to him

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. It feels like Meltzer did a bad thing here. I'm sure it wasn't malicious but like he went against a pretty common journalistic standard and it doesn't sound like it was the first time. I think while of course there's obviously people who go after him or Alvarez unfairly and use stuff like this as a weapon in their grudges, there's a counter problem that too many people seem all too eager to excuse genuine criticisms against the guy as "that's just Dave." I don't think the guy is a monster or anything but it feels like a constant pattern of stuff he should probably apologize for and learn from that instead gets tossed aside in the Scoopsters Wars.

Davros1 posted:

On a less provocative subject gently caress this guy royally.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think saying what Dave did is bad is the correct take. I think spending the better part of the day using it to quote tweet and dunk on people who disagree with you or provide context is weaponising a death in a very horrible self-righteous way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Agreed. I just think its one of those things where we've got an unproductive cycle of insincere attacks and over defensive rebuttals that just feed each other.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Davros1 posted:

STAC Goat posted:

On a less provocative subject gently caress this guy royally.

Looks like his day job might be in jeopardy. Good. What a piece of poo poo.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

its amazing how loving dumb people continue to be on social media or i guess how dumb people get when trying to somehow justify racist killings.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you can act like a batshit weirdo on social media, don't be a poo poo, that's all we ask.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happily impressed with how quick that went viral. It being dumb poo poo From A Wrestler, I expected it to just go under the radar even here, let alone in general

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Chris James 2 posted:

Happily impressed with how quick that went viral. It being dumb poo poo From A Wrestler, I expected it to just go under the radar even here, let alone in general

My uncle who was a high school wrestling coach posted about it on Facebook, and apparently even in red state high school wrestling circles the guy is getting called a dumbass.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't even get what the guys point was, because someone legit died from that. Like, there's nothing else to say on the matter.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JT Smiley posted:

I don't even get what the guys point was, because someone legit died from that. Like, there's nothing else to say on the matter.

I bet if you pressed you'd get to hear a lot about crisis actors and the deep state

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

JT Smiley posted:

I think his point was :tinfoil: He wasn’t REALLY killed by the knee across the neck, but rather some completely unrelated medical issue that happened at the exact same time & that the police are blameless, holy creatures. Now, WHY he’d think that, or that it’d be a good idea to post about his bullshit theory, I have no idea.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

That's surely gonna be a wake-up call for him, right?

quote:

"I did not tell any lies; I showed that I was OK from a knee on my neck. That is it,” Hollenbeck said. “I did not say anything racist and maybe it was insensitive at the time.”

Hoo boy you fuckin' stupid.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

J-Ro posted:

That's surely gonna be a wake-up call for him, right?

Hoo boy you fuckin' stupid.

He's dumb enough to yell about "mah freedums" and "disrespect". Because clearly it's not that he's a loving racist shitlord, right? Everyone else is just sheeple who will buy whatever the lamestream media is selling! :rolleyes: gently caress that braindead shitgoblin.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That sun tattoo on his chest looks suspiciously like a coverup.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

dsriggs posted:

I think his point was :tinfoil: He wasn’t REALLY killed by the knee across the neck, but rather some completely unrelated medical issue that happened at the exact same time & that the police are blameless, holy creatures. Now, WHY he’d think that, or that it’d be a good idea to post about his bullshit theory, I have no idea.

He'd make a good mayor for Petal, Mississippi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NeuroCloud7/status/1214052539399753729

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

relating to nerves or the nervous system.

make or become less clear or transparent.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

neuroclod

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/BustedOpenRadio/status/1266426741515526146

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

She isn’t going to smooch you Mark.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

As i see charlotte on every show i think man this is what wwe needed Charlotte on every show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Do they film a video component of his show or would it be too obvious he's reading WWE copy