Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DeafNote posted:

There is far too much Foggy hatred in this thread.

To be fair, he's not a punchmans, so he's pretty easy to fast forward past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DeafNote posted:

There is far too much Foggy in this show.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am with the 'fast forwarding is dumb' crowd.

Also foggy is the best.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know how accurate this is because it's based on some analytics company's internal readings, but https://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-3-ratings-viewers-down-season-2/

I'm kind of in the camp that believes that none of these shows will get renewed after JJ S3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know how accurate this is because it's based on some analytics company's internal readings, but https://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-3-ratings-viewers-down-season-2/

I'm kind of in the camp that believes that none of these shows will get renewed after JJ S3.

I'm always extremely skeptical of companies like Jumpshot and ComScore which claim to have Netflix analytics. They generally do so by having the user install a piece of software ... on their computer. Microsoft and Sony and Roku aren't letting you sideload poo poo onto their machines, so their data is skewed because it doesn't represent any console interaction whatsoever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hakkesshu posted:

This seems about right, actually, just going by the unscientific method of reading the number of SA posts for each show. I'm not gonna go count up posts to find out, but I've perceived a gradual decrease for each successive season.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Based on numbers I generated with a secret internal number generator using a baseline I acquired from my brain, Iron Fist s2 deserved better. It wins my "Most Improved MCU Participant" award.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Inkspot posted:

Based on numbers I generated with a secret internal number generator using a baseline I acquired from my brain, Iron Fist s2 deserved better. It wins my "Most Improved MCU Participant" award.

I'd say so too. It's like that white trash kid who always sits in the back of the class and wears the same vaguely military-looking coat every day with combat boots, and he's kinda mean and aggressive when you try talk to him and you get the sense that he doesn't have a great situation at home, and he never pays any attention in class and his homework is always zero-effort and full of misspellings when he bothers to turn it in at all. But the history teacher has been working with him and getting him to take an interest in something, and he really puts his heart into his class project but it's a C+ at best, but you're tempted to bump him up to a B- just because six months ago you'd never have thought this poor kid could have strung this many words together without losing attention and wandering off to go play with an old Zippo he stole from his dad who was passed out drunk on the couch last night.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phenotype posted:

I'd say so too. It's like that white trash kid who always sits in the back of the class and wears the same vaguely military-looking coat every day with combat boots, and he's kinda mean and aggressive when you try talk to him and you get the sense that he doesn't have a great situation at home, and he never pays any attention in class and his homework is always zero-effort and full of misspellings when he bothers to turn it in at all. But the history teacher has been working with him and getting him to take an interest in something, and he really puts his heart into his class project but it's a C+ at best, but you're tempted to bump him up to a B- just because six months ago you'd never have thought this poor kid could have strung this many words together without losing attention and wandering off to go play with an old Zippo he stole from his dad who was passed out drunk on the couch last night.

Yeah, I was going to say this exact same thing

beaten

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BiggerBoat posted:

This seems about right, actually, just going by the unscientific method of reading the number of SA posts for each show. I'm not gonna go count up posts to find out, but I've perceived a gradual decrease for each successive season.

SA is also slowing down

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm really glad about this. It's a comic book show, the audience is implicitly cool with that kind of absurdity. Having characters remark on the impossibility would just be the authors smugly pretending that they're above all these goofy punchmen when they're busy writing a show about goofy punchmen.

I mean, the established canon of all of these shows has them taking place in a city where a few years ago, a hole in the sky opened up and a bunch of alien techno-dragons flew around that were destroyed by an unfrozen super soldier, a giant green monster, a literal Norse god, and a flying metal Elon Musk.

That team also had a dude with super incredible accuracy with a bow and arrow, so Bullseye using bullets and other objects to the same effect isn't really all that notable in their world.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

That team also had a dude with super incredible accuracy with a bow and arrow, so Bullseye using bullets and other objects to the same effect isn't really all that notable in their world.
Lebron James isn't not notable because we already saw Jordan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

Lebron James isn't not notable because we already saw Jordan.

OK...? Neither of them would be very notable if the NBA also had a bunch of top stars with legitimate godlike magic powers. Instead you'd be saying "Hey, this Jordan guy's pretty alright, but not as good as the HUGE GREEN ANGER MONSTER and FLYING METAL MAN on the same team!" And then Lebron comes along and you'd be saying "This Lebron guy is pretty alright too, but he's no UNFROZEN SUPER SOLDIER or ACTUAL THUNDER GOD."

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

sticklefifer posted:

OK...? Neither of them would be very notable if the NBA also had a bunch of top stars with legitimate godlike magic powers. Instead you'd be saying "Hey, this Jordan guy's pretty alright, but not as good as the HUGE GREEN ANGER MONSTER and FLYING METAL MAN on the same team!" And then Lebron comes along and you'd be saying "This Lebron guy is pretty alright too, but he's no UNFROZEN SUPER SOLDIER or ACTUAL THUNDER GOD."

People get impressed by people that can slightly juggle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sticklefifer posted:

e: never mind.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 6, 2018

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well, binged through the rest of the season today after taking a break after episode 4. Those very slow first couple of episodes aside, I have to say this season owned. I think someone else summed it up well, that it doesn't have the highs of the 2nd season, but doesn't have the lows either. It was very consistent as a season (again with the caveat that the first two eps were slow AF), and I really appreciated it.

Things I really liked:

The one-take from E4 was the best one yet.

D'onofrio is loving amazing and they need to put Kingpin in a Spider-Man film. I liked that he was always a couple of steps ahead this season, it's like he put all that prison time to good use figuring out what he needed to do and be in order to be the true crime puppetmaster of New York.

Bullseye was fantastic. I love that we're at a stage now where we never need to explain powers, just "oh he's good at throwing poo poo" and everyone just takes it as a given in this universe.

The prisoner transport action scene. loving owned, start to finish.

The final big punch-up was freaking amazing. When I think back to the anti-climactic scenes of Matt punching Fisk in a dark alley to end S1, this was bringing things full circle and showing just what they've learned along the way. Just a great, great fight scene.

Just realised it's only been 3 and a half years since the first season came out. Which is both a long time, and also not very long at all. Since then we've had... uh, 11 full seasons of MCU shows. That's a lot of hours of Spandex Punchmans. I know we're likely coming to the end of the Netflix MCU now, what with the Disney service stuff coming up. Watching the credits of a very satisfying DD S3 and I got a little sad that it's going to be wrapping up. DD has stayed good, JJ nosedived in the second series, Luke Cage found its groove, and Iron Fist... had future potential. Oh and Punisher was so much greater than it had any right to be, and I still wish they wouldn't write over that perfect ending.

But yeah, that's a lot of episodes put out in just over three years. Maybe too many. But I'm going to be sad when it's over. I really hope we're not seeing the ends of these actors in these roles. It's been good times.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

That's not how analogies work. Putting the basketball player on the super hero team is a completely nonsensical move.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stairmaster posted:

That's not how analogies work. Putting the basketball player on the super hero team is a completely nonsensical move.

What if the basketball player in this scenario was like, really good with a bow and arrow. I mean like really good.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Well, binged through the rest of the season today after taking a break after episode 4. Those very slow first couple of episodes aside, I have to say this season owned. I think someone else summed it up well, that it doesn't have the highs of the 2nd season, but doesn't have the lows either. It was very consistent as a season (again with the caveat that the first two eps were slow AF), and I really appreciated it.

Things I really liked:

The one-take from E4 was the best one yet.

D'onofrio is loving amazing and they need to put Kingpin in a Spider-Man film. I liked that he was always a couple of steps ahead this season, it's like he put all that prison time to good use figuring out what he needed to do and be in order to be the true crime puppetmaster of New York.

Bullseye was fantastic. I love that we're at a stage now where we never need to explain powers, just "oh he's good at throwing poo poo" and everyone just takes it as a given in this universe.

The prisoner transport action scene. loving owned, start to finish.

The final big punch-up was freaking amazing. When I think back to the anti-climactic scenes of Matt punching Fisk in a dark alley to end S1, this was bringing things full circle and showing just what they've learned along the way. Just a great, great fight scene.

Just realised it's only been 3 and a half years since the first season came out. Which is both a long time, and also not very long at all. Since then we've had... uh, 11 full seasons of MCU shows. That's a lot of hours of Spandex Punchmans. I know we're likely coming to the end of the Netflix MCU now, what with the Disney service stuff coming up. Watching the credits of a very satisfying DD S3 and I got a little sad that it's going to be wrapping up. DD has stayed good, JJ nosedived in the second series, Luke Cage found its groove, and Iron Fist... had future potential. Oh and Punisher was so much greater than it had any right to be, and I still wish they wouldn't write over that perfect ending.

But yeah, that's a lot of episodes put out in just over three years. Maybe too many. But I'm going to be sad when it's over. I really hope we're not seeing the ends of these actors in these roles. It's been good times.

I thought that story threads came together a little too perfectly to be believable but there was a lot to like in this season. I was especially entertained by the ridiculous levels of trolling all the characters exhibited throughout (Foggy's campaign, Karen trying to get Fisk to rage meltdown, fake daredevil, etc.). Having Kingpin back in a major role really elevated the whole production and allowed for more interesting scenarios to develop. The final battle was awesome, even if it felt out of character for Matt to just unleash Dex on a crowd of wedding guests. Overall a return to form since season 2 was way too fractured and burdened with the boring 'ninjas dig a hole'/Elektra subplot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone who shows up to a supervillains wedding deserves what they get.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

What if the basketball player in this scenario was like, really good with a bow and arrow. I mean like really good.

What about boats? What if they're great at boats?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I liked when Matt kicked the heavy bag and realized his back hurt, so he didn't kick anyone until the church fight.

Edit: Also, don't use netty pots. Don't listen to Matt.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 8, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I use a Neti Pot sometimes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look, mystical Betti Pots are always good. You gotta find them on consecrated ground though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Neti Pot crew reporting. Just don't overdo it. If you feel like your nose is dry or burning just do it less.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Cool. Watch out for those brain-eating amoebas.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone who shows up to a supervillains wedding deserves what they get.

Kinda true.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Neti pot user here.
Use distilled or previously boiled water. This is because of the amoebas no one wants in their brain. And don't use it daily.

So still no release dates for JJ3 and P2?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I only use it when my sinuses are feeling extra hosed. Always boil your water beforehand lmbo just 'cause you can drink from the tap doesn't mean it's clean enough to shoot up ur nose

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There was a missing episode where Matt got N Fowleri and ant man had to go in there and fight it off

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Question for the Daredevil comic fans, did they ever use Matt Murdock: Attorney at Large as the name of a story arc?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best scene in the entire season is definitely the church fight because it contains Matt getting brained by a collection plate with one of the greatest foley effects Ive ever heard. I was laughing so hard I was in tears, people

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They portrayed Bullseye so well. His power is so stupid but they wisely didn't try and make it edgy or cool (like it would have been if he'd only used shurikens or whatever) and instead leaned into how ridiculous is. Every time he threw something completely impractical with deadly accuracy I laughed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It’s too bad Daredevil forgot how to use his stick ricochet skills in season 3.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

In It For The Tank posted:

They portrayed Bullseye so well. His power is so stupid but they wisely didn't try and make it edgy or cool (like it would have been if he'd only used shurikens or whatever) and instead leaned into how ridiculous is. Every time he threw something completely impractical with deadly accuracy I laughed.

It it really ridiculous I agree but a lot of the time it was during a hectic fight scene. The way they just made it part of the fight was pretty cool I thought

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bullseye is firmly in the Black Widow//Hawkeye bracket where his super power could really just come down to an absurd amount of training, but because we only see him against normal humans and Matt he seems so overpowered it’s silly.

I would love it if we got one really decent fight of Matt in the Devil suit fully healed up against one or two super tough guys, I love the Devil suit and I’d be really bummed if it’s gone.

Also I just watched a cast interview and holy poo poo Charlie Cox sounds like Harry fuckin’ Potter. He’s adorable and his accent is like music. The dude who played Dex was really cheerful and chatty, so I was also immediately disarmed by that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dex was shortlisted to be Captain America before Chris Evans got it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Stairmaster posted:

Steel is a terrible film :agreed:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jose posted:

Steel is a terrible film :agreed:

Ah, the days when a superhero could be a really slow guy walking around in a metal suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Would you rather watch Defenders again or the clip from Steel where an armored Shaq awkwardly rides an escalator looped for an equivalent amount of time?