Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Have you considered taking up hard drugs as a hobby? It'd probably be better for you in the long run, and less self destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Bum the Sad posted:

Have you considered taking up hard drugs as a hobby? It'd probably be better for you in the long run, and less self destructive.

I sold my 280z and decided this was a good option. I feel like I still came out on top.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bum the Sad posted:

But think of all the lovely Volvos I could buy with that money! :allears:

I tested the injector plugs and something wasn't quite right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the fuel injectors should be energized to the tune of 12V with the ignition on and the ground gets pulsed by the ECU when starting right?

SO WHY THE gently caress AM I ONLY GETTING .80V? Disintegrating insulation is the prime suspect, poor ground maybe?

Or you know, it could be this:

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Or you know, it could be this:

The number of the beast, my friend. Now your Volvo has actual electrical demons.

Good luck getting it sorted out. My perseverance would have waned long ago.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
If you haven't given up yet, I was at Buck's today and there is an almost complete turbo wagon there.

I took the turbo but the interior seems untouched and the engine bay is only missing some airbox parts (I think).

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

HachiGo posted:

If you haven't given up yet, I was at Buck's today and there is an almost complete turbo wagon there.

I took the turbo but the interior seems untouched and the engine bay is only missing some airbox parts (I think).

Yeah, I was there when the FEL brought it out and I beat another dude to all the good stuff :smug:

I went back there yesterday to get parts for the fuel pressure tester since Brickboard was wrong about the fuel fittings sizes :argh:

Ta da! Only leak was from the gauge so I didn't :supaburn: myself.

Static fuel pressure is supposed to be 43.5 psi +- 1.5 psi. Hooked everything up and jumped the fuel pump relay and the fuel pressure was....

45psi

Threw a stock coil on: nothing.
Changed the resistor pack for the injectors: nothing.
Forgot to plug the fuel pump relay: engine fires up for a couple seconds and dies

:confused:

What the gently caress man?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Been busy with other poo poo. Timing wasn't as futzed as I thought it would be, most likely as it'd be impossible for the timing to skip multiple teeth by itself. At this point there's only one way to fix the car:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1988-Volvo-740-Turbo-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ208976583

No, I'm not going to look at this one at night with a flashlight in the rain.

Wish me luck!

Or pray for my mental health!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Splizwarf posted:

Ignition coil and some wires were hosed, and now that they're replaced, the problem remains? What a kick in the balls.

Quoting myself here, I had exactly this (well, it was the distributor cap and rotor rather than the coil) happen this week. Turned out when I cleaned out the throttle body, PCV, and some vacuum poo poo, I put the throttle position sensor on just a bit off, so when the throttle was closed, my car didn't know or care.

When the throttle is closed, the idle air valve takes info from a couple sources like the AC and mediates the airflow bypassing the throttle plate according to load and whatever else. When the throttle is open, the idle air valve isn't shut, it's wide open the other way all the time, which is why your engine doesn't die at highway speeds when you take your foot off the gas, closing the throttle.

As I unfortunately learned, mis-adjusting the TPS so it doesn't quite click when the throttle closes means the ECU thinks the throttle is open just a bit, so the IAC doesn't bother doing any work and instead of idle fuel/air you're getting wide-open IAC air and fuel based on a tiny amount of throttle.

tl; dr: My car would crank fine and start fine but died at idle so I should have heel-toed it the last several days but I'm large and ungainly so I had to two-foot it everywhere.

I thought this might be related to your issue. If your TPS is off more than mine was (I was close as poo poo and look what happened), you could for instance be getting way more fuel and not nearly enough air if the ECU thinks the throttle is wide open.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 3, 2010

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

Check out next weeks' MPI auctions.

http://mpi.mb.ca/salvage/SlvgItmImg.asp?salenm=1729&itemnm=269

That car should have been running before it was written off, and you've got the doors it needs. Not to mention it will probably sell for under $500...

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My IAC died recently as well, and while there was a point in its decline where I could two-foot it around, when it died completely, the car wouldn't start at all. Try unplugging the IAC (it's under the intake manifold) and loosening the black thumbscrew that's under the throttle body, and see if anything changes.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

God drat it. I just read the last 3 pages and thought for sure you'd have fixed it. :smith:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

HachiGo posted:

That car should have been running before it was written off, and you've got the doors it needs. Not to mention it will probably sell for under $500...

Only problem is the B pillar is hosed, gonna need a frame pull before the doors align. That said, it's an easy pull for a body shop that knows what they're doing.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

HachiGo posted:

Ugh, so the dark grey wagon gets sold the next morning and now the other 740 that got away from me ends up in the salvage auction. Like Lloyd said the B pillar and rocker need to be pulled but if the car is as clean as it looks it might be worth it. Then there's the fact that I'll have two inoperative silver turbo manual 740 wagons taking up space.

This is going to annoy me until I see it for myself, I'll see if I can get down there and give it a look over. Thanks for the heads up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

82Daion posted:

My IAC died recently as well, and while there was a point in its decline where I could two-foot it around, when it died completely, the car wouldn't start at all. Try unplugging the IAC (it's under the intake manifold) and loosening the black thumbscrew that's under the throttle body, and see if anything changes.

This is confusing, the IAC's death position is wide open rather than shut. Why wouldn't it start? Not enough fuel to the too much air I'd guess?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

This is confusing, the IAC's death position is wide open rather than shut. Why wouldn't it start? Not enough fuel to the too much air I'd guess?

Huh, didn't realize that that was the failure mode. I'm not sure why its death caused a no-start condition, but when I unplugged it and adjusted the "bypass" screw under the manifold (which probably wasn't designed for that purpose), the car started and idled fine. Replacing it with a working one resolved the issue. :iiam:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sorry for bumping this, but I didn't get a positive answer from the stupid questions thread.
Bulk (or anyone), what was this car that you saw at the jy?:

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Sorry for bumping this, but I didn't get a positive answer from the stupid questions thread.
Bulk (or anyone), what was this car that you saw at the jy?:

Fiat 124 Coupé

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

HachiGo posted:

Fiat 124 Coupé

Yep, early 70s.

I went to the salvage compound and found that 740 tucked next to a cube truck.

Smashy smashy

B pillar is messed up pretty good.

You can't see it but the rocker panel's caved in a fair amount. It's less rusty than mine but it'll catch up in a couple of years. It's not worth it as I'll have to pay for the tow to and from my place, plus the bodyshop time and body integrity inspection.

Goodnight sweet prince :smith:

There was also this Miata that was written off for "Other" reasons.

It was dirty but the only thing I could spot was this dent and some rust. Engine looked ok but it could be the culprit. Briefly considered coming back and bidding on it but it won't be worth it for the price it'll probably go for and the repair worked needed.

There were also 2 hosed up 350Zs and an S2000. Drivetrain looked good on all of them so they'll make good project donors.

I'm cheering myself up with delusions of success by looking at this heap this week:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1964-CADDY-LOWRIDER-22S-AIR-RIDE-6500-OBO-OFFERS-W0QQAdIdZ208841331

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm cheering myself up with delusions of success by looking at this heap this week:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1964-CADDY-LOWRIDER-22S-AIR-RIDE-6500-OBO-OFFERS-W0QQAdIdZ208841331

Real Ballaz be rolling at least 2-4s these days.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

It was dirty but the only thing I could spot was this dent and some rust. Engine looked ok but it could be the culprit. Briefly considered coming back and bidding on it but it won't be worth it for the price it'll probably go for and the repair worked needed.

Given the slash in the top, it was probably a theft recovery, which means the insurance already paid the owner but the cops found it after that. I bet it's in fine running shape.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

LloydDobler posted:

Given the slash in the top, it was probably a theft recovery, which means the insurance already paid the owner but the cops found it after that. I bet it's in fine running shape.

That makes sense. I did find out that my coworker was the 2nd owner and that it sold for $1250.

In other news I've been emasculated by a 24 year old station wagon and it's going to become a charitable tax write off. I'll be taking all the valuable bits so if anyone wants anything let me know; I've got like 3 ECUs, 7 fuel pump relays, etc.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

That makes sense. I did find out that my coworker was the 2nd owner and that it sold for $1250.

In other news I've been emasculated by a 24 year old station wagon and it's going to become a charitable tax write off. I'll be taking all the valuable bits so if anyone wants anything let me know; I've got like 3 ECUs, 7 fuel pump relays, etc.

Is the turbo available? I can come pull it off if it's okay.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

HachiGo posted:

Is the turbo available? I can come pull it off if it's okay.

Oops. The POS is still here, I think I'll be holding onto the turbo though.

In other news I'll need a thread title change, something witty:

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and hisself
And everybody around
Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Oops. The POS is still here, I think I'll be holding onto the turbo though.

In other news I'll need a thread title change, something witty:

Vanderhuge and Vandernotsohuge.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
*A tuba starts playing in a jaunty fashion*

Settle back, take command, hold tomorrow in your hands. Get the feel, for the wheel, of a Ford!

Feel the pride, as you glide, and you're envied and you're eyed. Get the feel, for the wheel, of a Ford!

Dream of a dream car just for you. Ford makes your dream car dreams come true!

So to know how it feels to have wings on your wheels, get the feel for the wheel, of a Ford.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

What's the plan for the Mustang? Winter car?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Blue is a great car colour :colbert:

HachiGo posted:

What's the plan for the Mustang? Winter car?

/drag/autox/time trial car. A lowered V8 pony car is a practical choice for all year driving here subarus are so overpriced here my god

I'll be cutting back my work hours soon and will actually have time to do more of this (huff enamel paint):

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 27, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Requesting thread title change to "Fix it till it breaks."

The car was formerly a V6 and the puny 7.5" rear end was a ticking time bomb, more so considering the way I drive (gently caress THE TACH DOESN'T EVEN READ THAT HIGH gently caress) so upgrading to a 8.8" would probably be a good idea. Found a recently rebuilt one with 4.10 gears and Trac Lok LSD for cheap and decided to mod the winter car just before scheduled snow fall.

Welp, time to build some cabinets.

Oh, they turned into ramps. It's been a while since I've worked with wood (jokes welcome) and it was nice not breathing in rust or smelling like oil.

YAY IT'S OFF THE GROUND.

275/xx/17 vs 165/xx/10

Well at least the oil was changed somewhat recently.

Unbolted the upper control arms, lower control arms, ebrake cables and shocks. Tried to take out the driveshaft bolts and managed to bang my head on both the jackstand and jack one after another.

Laid still for 15 minutes and thought about all the poor decision making that lead me to this moment.

2 weeks later. It took 3 people to drop it, mostly because that goddamn driveshaft didn't want to come off. Good thing it's been unseasonably warm this year, 15C in November is far FAR from normal.

Aww, look at those widdle brake pads.

Pulled the cross pin and C-clips and the axleshafts came out like butter. Wear pattern looks good, not sure what I'm going to do with this 7.5" rear end though.

Surprisingly almost all of the brake lines and bolts came off easily considering the rust/mileage/what not, except for these dudes. Who thought that torx head screws would be good for this application?

My only friend, the angle grinder.

Anyone know if I need these support brackets off of the 7.5"?

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

How are you going to protect that? It's awesome.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sprayed it with some automotive acrylic clearcoat. It's been holding up well, too bad it makes the front end of the car look even more lovely in comparison.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's pretty neat. Do you have any pictures of it actually on the car? I can kind of see it in some of the pictures but not in any great detail.

I'd see if a local tint shop could put 3M rockguard film on there or something - a rock chip might ruin the clearcoat.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

It's pretty neat. Do you have any pictures of it actually on the car? I can kind of see it in some of the pictures but not in any great detail.

I'd see if a local tint shop could put 3M rockguard film on there or something - a rock chip might ruin the clearcoat.

I'll snap some once the car is out. I'll look into the film things too, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah...I'm going to have to replace the slip yoke and tailshaft bushing. I'm hoping I can limp along till spring and then do it when I do headers/h pipe.

Here's the 8.8, fresh from some dudes Capri. The pinion drips a tiny bit but I can worry about that later.

Wire brush!

And painted with one of 8 cans of black rust paint I have laying around.

FLASH FORWARD

The driveshaft bolts were held on by Satan himself. That piece of rebar that I jammed in there was straight when I started, STRAIGHT, and I still needed the propane torch and penetrating oil.

Figured out what I'm going to do with the anti-moan brackets, everything should be good to go tomorrow.

Pray for my competence.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
gently caress THESE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

gently caress THESE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS

Haha this was my whole night tonight. Well, gently caress a lot of the suspension, but these guys really made it bad for everyone.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

subarus are so overpriced here my god

Tell me about it. Driving a Subaru in :canada: makes you next to royalty.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

/drag/autox/time trial car.

Whats up fellow Winnipeg goon? Where is there autocross around here? I couldn't find anything but then again I didn't look very hard.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

clearcoat?

if you could work in some tiny wisps of flame coming from the nostrils it'd be incredibly metal.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Sockington posted:

Tell me about it. Driving a Subaru in :canada: makes you next to royalty.

It's funny because subie/jeep prices have dropped since the snow came, which is the complete opposite of what I thought would happen.

Clank posted:

Whats up fellow Winnipeg goon? Where is there autocross around here? I couldn't find anything but then again I didn't look very hard.

http://new.wscc.mb.ca/

For all your racing needs, what are you driving?

Decided to freshen up the suspension parts. Yes, I know those rear rotors are lightly covered in paint.

Those mystery brackets are called Anti-Moan brackets and help triangulate the brake backing plates. Here they are cut and welded, those spring perches would've been a bear to grind off.

Everything went in after:

-Shortening and flaring the axle brake lines
-Extending and flaring the gushing chassis-to-rear axle hardline
-Dropping the driveshaft on my chest
-Dropping the axle on my leg

I spent an hour trying to get the lower control arm bolts in. I aligned the holes with a screwdriver/punch, I used three jacks to align the axle/control arms, hammered them with 7 different hammers but they would not go in AT ALL. Called it a night and looked at it the next day.

The bolts were 1mm too wide.

10 minutes later with the dremel and they went in like butter.

I think we got 43cm of snow this month and I was mowing the lawn in shorts a couple of weeks ago.

After much thought I decided that driving this thing during winter might not be the smartest move. Plus I'll be saving a grand by putting it on storage insurance and not having to buy a set of winter tires that I'll only use once.

The gears and LSD felt good, I was able to get up the driveway with bald all seasons. Brakes need to be bled and the tailshaft bushing will be replaced when I do headers/midpipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Welp

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1986-Volvo-740-turbo-W0QQAdIdZ255748848

• Locked thread