Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

SpookyLizard posted:

The only issue with Plan E is that NPCs won't talk to you till you clear the sector of baddies.

This *is* Michael Westen we're talking about, supported by "Dead-Eye" Ira. Drassen greenshirts got nuthin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gabriel Pope posted:

The show's vastly better than the ads suggest in general, too, but there's definitely a fair bit of cheese in it.

Any show that has Jeffrey Donovan monologuing over the action about how a spy's life works has gone way past 'a fair bit of cheese' and straight into 'joyfully feasting on a bone-in ham'.

Which is part of the reason why the show is so awesome.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Not to mention that any show that has Bruce Campbell in a role I best describe as "What if Bruce used to be a Navy SEAL?"

Yeah, the show is full of ham, but it is good ham. Like one with a sweet glaze.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
A and then F. After that let's see how things are and vote again on the remaining options.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Voting is closed!

E was favored pretty overwhelmingly, so that's how we'll roll. Fiona, Sam, Jesse, and Dimitri will head west to liberate Chitzena, its mine, and its vital harbor, while Michael and Ira try to make contact with Father Walker in Drassen.

Once that task is complete, there are a couple of options for other things Mike and Ira can do. They can try to track down Skyrider, they can continue harassing the occupying Royalists in Drassen, they could move on to San Mona and try to find Tony the arms dealer, or they could just sit tight in Omerta until the Chitzena money starts rolling in, then hire some mercenaries to help the two of them take Drassen.

I'll try and get a game post up tomorrow, and maybe one on Sunday, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Any show that has Jeffrey Donovan monologuing over the action about how a spy's life works has gone way past 'a fair bit of cheese' and straight into 'joyfully feasting on a bone-in ham'.

Which is part of the reason why the show is so awesome.

Hammy as gently caress, yeah. I was talking more about cheese of the GUNS EXPLOSIONS BABES MORE EXPLOSIONS sort, which is all I've ever seen in Burn Notice ads. (Obviously these are all indeed things that the show has, but not to the extent the commercials imply. Unless it's a Fiona-heavy episode.)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

FiddlersThree posted:

This *is* Michael Westen we're talking about, supported by "Dead-Eye" Ira. Drassen greenshirts got nuthin'.

Yeah, but if it were an episode, Mike would finesse his way in singlehandly and end up getting the bad guys to deliver the goods to Miguel, straight into a trap where Miguel's/the gang/the cops would ambush 'em and put the supplies to good use.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
If there's anybody that doesn't have Jagged Alliance 2 and is interested in the game, Jarf in the JA2 thread is giving away a copy to whoever gives the best one-sentence explanation of why they want it.

(game post should be up within the hour)

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Omerta, Arulco
June 26, 2011 – 0542 EST

“Miguel, how heavily defended is Chitzena?”

“Not very. It has an important harbor, but it is a tourist town. It has not seen much fighting. I think Deidranna does not expect much trouble there, so the garrison should be a small force of regular army, nothing more.”

“Then we split up. Fiona, Sam, Jesse, and Dimitri – you head west through the countryside north of San Mona. Ira and I will head to Drassen to find Father Walker. While we’re there, we’ll take out any troops we see. This should prov--…”

“I’m sorry, you and I will what?”

“You and I will take out the garrison in Drassen.”

“…”

“Don’t worry, Ira. Michael is very good at what he does.”

“Anyways, hitting Drassen should provide a distraction. It’ll keep Deidranna’s eye -- and hopefully her troops -- on this side of the country, meaning you should have an easier time taking and holding Chitzena.”

“Sounds good, Mike. But how will we stay in contact?”

“Fi and I took a couple of radios off one of the airport patrols. We just need to stay off their active frequencies. Range will be a problem while you’re marching, but once you’re in Chitzena, you should be able to patch in the harbor radio and boost the signal enough to reach us.

“You are very brave for doing this. No matter what happens, you will always be friends to Arulco. We do not have much equipment here, but if there is anything we have that you can use, please take it.”

Miguel isn’t lying. There’s not much here. Still, the team packs up a few minor pieces of gear like the grenades, break lights, first aid kits, gas masks, crowbar, and canteens.

“Hey, a bottle of rum! You don’t happen to have any mint, do you?”

“I am afraid not. You might try Herve De Santos’s bar in Drassen.”

“Hey Mike, when you’re in town, check out this bar Miguel mentioned and see if you can pick up some mint for me. And some sugar!”

“I’ll make it a priority, Sam.”

-----------------------------------------

Omerta, Arulco
June 26, 2011 – 2247 EST

“Oh, no, no, no, no… hold up, now. How come you two get the jeep to cruise an hour up the road and we gotta hump across the whole drat island? How exactly does that work?”

“Look at this thing, Jesse. Do you really think it could last twenty minutes off-road?”

“Does it even have shock absorbers?”

“Besides, a little hike never killed anybody. You need to stay under the radar anyways.”

“Psh, easy for you to say…”

Fiona spots a can of motor oil on a nearby shelf.

“Hey Sam, how strong is that rum Miguel gave you?”

“Ah…. Looks like 140 proof, why?”

“Give it here.”

“Why? Need a drink to fortify--… Oh, Fi! Come on!”

Sam watches in dismay as Fiona empties part of the bottle on a rag, then refills it with the motor oil.

“I was halfway to a mojito!”

“Well, I’m all the way to a Molotov cocktail, so I guess I win?”

“Anyways, Sam, I’m very sorry for your loss, but it’s time to go. Don’t forget – last we heard there’s at least one patrol on the west side of town. If you can’t sneak through, take them out, but keep it quiet.”

“Now you’re speaking my language.”

Omerta, Arulco
June 26, 2011 – 2301 EST

“Alright, if we stick to the shadows, we can probably get through the town without them ever--… Jesse?”

“Hey Dimitri, how good are you with those knives?”

“I am very good with knives.”

“Good. Come with me. Fi, lemme borrow those goggles. And why don’t the two of you stay back unless you hear us scream?”

Sam watches them go, then shrugs to Fiona and leans back against the side of a house.

“Oh, well. Sure would be nice to have a drink right about now.”

Jesse double-checks his silencer as Dimitri draws a throwing knife for each hand. The two of them slink north along the road. Before long, Jesse spots a target and blows him open with a round of 9mm hollow-point. As they near the ruined gas station, they pass by the unburied bodies of the ill-fated search party that came after Michael and Fiona when they first arrived in country. They also find a few more soldiers, and Jesse puts them down. Dimitri gets his chance to shine as well, putting down a pair of Royalists with expertly thrown knives to the throat. Inside an abandoned storehouse, Dimitri tries his knife trick again, but the soldier sees it coming and is able to avoid the worst of it. There’s nothing he can do about Jesse’s followup bullet, though. Neither can his squadmate. Outside, Jesse puts one final bullet in the last soldier.

I forgot to take a screenshot of this battle’s loot, but there wasn’t much of anything worthwhile. Jesse and Sam got helmets and woodland camo uniforms, and I think that was about it. Maybe a grenade or two?

North of San Mona, Arulco
June 27, 2011 – 0312 EST

Sam, up in a tree, gazes through his binoculars across the wide expanse of an opium poppy field.

“I count eight Arulcan army, but there are a few other guys with guns standing around. Dimitri? Any idea who they are?”

“Kingpin’s men. It is strange that the army is here. This is Kingpin’s land.”

As Sam watches, what looks to be an argument erupts between the soldiers and the gangsters. Kingpin’s men, outnumbered, are forced to drop their weapons.

“I wonder…”

“Sam?”

“This could be an opportunity to get on Kingpin’s good side. It looks like the soldiers are giving his men a little trouble. We take ‘em out, it might buy us some good will.”

The small group advances, weapons out, going loud to lure the enemy to them instead of stalking them silently. As they approach the barn from the south, an enemy soldier appears. Dimitri lifts his shotgun and blows the target away. Two more soldiers follow right behind the first, and Dimitri’s semi-automatic SPAS-15 is already paying dividends. Fiona, watching the west, finds a soldier in her sights and puts him down with a short burst from her Type 85 (conserving the precious .30-06 rounds in the Garand). Another follows, and she ends him as well. The team advances into the central clearing, and Jesse shoots down a soldier as Fiona snags a pair of night-vision goggles from a corpse. Another foe comes around the corner, and Jesse gets her, too. The last enemy makes his stand in the center of the clearing, grabbing one of Kingpin’s men as a hostage, but Sam makes the difficult shot and puts him down.

Again, pretty standard early-game loot. Sam and Jesse stock up on 9mm hollow-point from those SMG magazines, and Dimitri grabs that Hi-Threat headset to expand his hearing range.

Next Episode: Father Walker

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I've been experimenting with AIMNAS, and I've found out that there's a whole lot of IED-type items you can make that I didn't know about. In particular, combining a grenade and a pack of gum gets you an improvised mine of the same type as the grenade, which you can then stick a timed or remote detonator to for ambushes. It definitely works with teargas grenades and flashbangs, not sure about others. You can also make trip flares and trip klaxons for defensive purposes, and improvised shrapnel bombs out of a bag of marbles, a glass jar, and a shaped charge. Fi might be able to get her MacGyver on given the chance.

On the subject of the update, this one seemed a little bit shorter than the previous ones. I don't know if it actually was or not, might just be my perception. Either way, good as always, looking forward to the next one.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yay, update day. You're getting the team dynamic down pretty well, I'm really enjoying it. It was kinda short though not much really happened in terms of story progression.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

SpookyLizard posted:

Yay, update day. You're getting the team dynamic down pretty well, I'm really enjoying it. It was kinda short though not much really happened in terms of story progression.

Appreciated! Yeah, this wasn't a very story-intensive update -- just a couple of enemy patrols on the road to Chitzena. As I get deeper into the game, I'll probably just gloss over these sorts of encounters -- maybe only post if the fight is particularly dramatic or if we lose someone.

I've also played through and screenshotted the Father Walker/Drassen sequence. I should have that up sometime tomorrow morning. I would write it up tonight, but tonight is Frankie Edgar / Ben Henderson, so...

NINJA EDIT: And, yeah -- there are all kinds of cool things you can do with explosives in AIMNAS. There are a couple things that I've never done before that I'm looking forward to trying out, once I get some of the raw materials together.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This is due more to personal taste than anything, but can you disable the equipment overlays over the character pictures? I've always found them to be ugly as sin with the regular character portraits, and they work even worse with our characters; to show what stuff anyone is wearing the equipment icons in the lower-right corner should be more than enough. :shobon:
And I think I'll get Wildfire: the maps shown so far look wayyy better than the vanilla JA2.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 26, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Well, this was a pleasant surprise.

Short of Modesty Blaise, i can't think of a more fitting character to liberate Arulco.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I just hope we see some cool mercs eventually.

Yo this is Ice.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I just hope we see some cool mercs eventually.

Yo this is Ice.
This dude knows what's up :frogc00l:

We need to hire Team Cool. Hitman. Ice. Magic. Shadow. Possibly Grizzly if Fiona is not enough to blow everything up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Don't forget Blood.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Won't fit into Team Cool, but I hope we'll see Grunty. I just kinda like him. (Plus he's a drat good merc for his money.)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

radintorov posted:

This is due more to personal taste than anything, but can you disable the equipment overlays over the character pictures? I've always found them to be ugly as sin with the regular character portraits, and they work even worse with our characters; to show what stuff anyone is wearing the equipment icons in the lower-right corner should be more than enough. :shobon:
And I think I'll get Wildfire: the maps shown so far look wayyy better than the vanilla JA2.

What he says. What he says sooooo much because I forgot to mention it. It should be in the in-game options but it may be in the .ini editor.

I think they should start off cheap but not quite Team Gumpy cheap (although Gumpy loving owns). Igor and Ivan must be hired, if only for their reactions to Michael.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
We need at least a couple of crazies, weirdos, and/or eccentrics for the hell of it. Gumpy is always amusing, and part of me wonders how IRA fighter Fiona would get along with posh Brit Sidney or mad Scottish bomber Red.

Ninja edit: Agree that Ivan and Igor simply must make an appearance at some point.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
As soon as we have a revenue stream, I'll be opening the floor up for voting on how we spend it. Cheap militia training mercs like Biff, Flo, or Buns? Badass combat mercs like Blood and Ice? Crazies like Razor, Haywire, or Fidel? All-around utility mercs like Wolf and Barry? Full-time medics like Spider or MD? Or do we go with new weapons and gear from Bobby Ray's?

Also, consider the NVG graphics gone for good (as of the update after next; I've already played through Drassen/Father Walker with the NVG graphics on).

(haven't had a chance to finish prepping the next game post. Hopefully within the next few hours, though)

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 26, 2012

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
West of Drassen, Arulco
June 27, 2011 – 0027 EST

As Michael and Ira near Drassen, he pulls the rickety jeep off the road and stashes it behind the concealment offered by a small collection of boulders.

“Deidranna’s men will have moved back into the airport by now, so we’ll walk from here. You said his church is on the south side of Drassen?”

“Yeah, near the mine. This time of night, though…? I think we’ll have a pretty good chance of catching him at Herve’s.”

“Herve’s? Is that the bar Sam asked me to find?”

“Father Walker is very fond of his sacramental wines. Not to mention his sacramental rums, whiskeys, and vodkas.”

“We’ve still got a pretty long hike ahead of us. Think he’ll still be there in a couple hours?”

“I’d give it better than even odds.

“Okay then. Let’s get moving.”

“This is Herve’s, right here on the edge of town.”

Michael holds up a warning hand as they approach the bar. There’s an enemy soldier having a smoke right outside the doors. Michael hits him with a hollow-point, and the soldier goes down. The occupants of the bar – Father Walker and the bartender Herve – both hear the slump of the body and watch in surprise as Michael and Ira slip inside.

“I’m afraid we’re just getting started, Father.”

“What…? Ira? What’s going on? I thought you were dead!”

“We’ll explain everything in a little while, Father.”

“For now, just stay in here and stay low. We’ll be back.”

Herve sinks slowly down behind the bar. After starting at the door for a befuddled moment, Father Walker picks up his drink and toddles back to join him.

Outside, Michael moves like a ghost through the darkened buildings of Drassen, avoiding the isolated pools of light as Ira trails behind. In a small yard between three houses, Michael suddenly halts, having spotted a pair of soldiers. He guns down the first, then waits for the second to round the corner to investigate the noise before putting him down with a pair of rounds. Alerted by the noise, more and more soldiers rush to engage. Michael and Ira work their weapons frantically, trying to deal with the soldiers as they come. At last, one of Deidranna’s blackshirted elite troops calls out for the badly outnumbered rebels to surrender…

Michael takes a fraction of a moment to consider the nine Arulcan Army bodies littering the yard, and delivers his eloquent reply. First he shoots the greenshirt coming around the building, then he shoots and kills the one demanding the surrender. From within the shadows, he and Ira are dealing with the flood of foes, but both are low on ammo, and taking the time to reload could prove fatal. Furthermore, Michael’s keen ears pick up the sound of at least one foe trying to outflank them to the east. With no other options, Michael motions for Ira to escape north and regroup.

Ira makes a break for the north, but stops short as she comes face to face with an enemy soldier! Fortunately, he is caught even more off-guard than Ira, and she is able to quickly fumble out her pistol and shoot him twice for the kill. With Michael following closely behind, they put a little distance between themselves and their pursuers and pause a moment to reload their weapons. Not wanting to stay put for long, however, they begin circling to the east in the hopes of outflanking the main contingent of soldiers. In doing so, however, they blunder right into a small search group! Ira takes fire, but the shot goes slightly wide. Michael quickly puts down the offender, but as they start to fall back again, Michael catches sight of three enemies charging hard from the west. He remains cool and collected, though, and puts down all three. Retreating again to the outskirts of town, they continue circling south and then west, where Michael estimates that they are now behind the last of the enemy and ready to catch them unawares.

In a sudden twist, however, it is Michael who is surprised as a glory-hungry Arulcan charges him out of nowhere with a knife. Michael deftly avoids the sudden stab and puts a round into his tactically-challenged assailant. Advancing slightly, he and Ira find a veritable nest of foes planning how to flush out the nighttime stalkers that have thinned their ranks so badly. Ira takes the first shot, the boom of her SKS alerted everyone to their position. As the enemies approach, Michael and Ira take out two more. Michael then spots another handful lining up along the building to their east and preparing to overwhelm the two brave souls. Michael, however, drops a stun grenade in their midst, knocking down and disorienting the soldiers. The blast additionally triggers a poorly maintained grenade that one of the troops was carrying, which deals some additional damage. Michael shoots down the only enemy left standing, then reloads as Ira advances to dispatch the stunned enemies before they can recover their combat effectiveness. She and Michael put a few rounds into the downed enemies, and Michael finishes off the blackshirt with a knife to the chest. He wheels around just in time, however, to find another blackshirt approaching from the north. It takes three rounds, but Michael puts him down.

“Ira, grab those night-vision goggles. We need to finish our sweep and make sure we got them all.”

The goggles prove unnecessary for the moment, however, as Michael soon locates and kills the final member of this sector’s garrison.

A few minutes later, Michael and an exhausted, adrenaline-dumped Ira walk back through the doors of Herve’s to find Father Walker just getting back to his feet.

“There was so much shooting! Are you all right?”

“We’re fine, Father. We’re fine.”

“Where have you been these last few days? I haven’t heard anything from you since the Queen’s offensive. I was so concerned that something had happened…”

“I’ve been holed up in Omerta with Miguel, Carlos, and a few other survivors.”

“Miguel Cordona is still alive? Oh, thank the Father…”

“Not only him. Enrique, Father. Enrique Chivaldori is still alive, and still supporting us. He sent a shipment of supplies for Miguel, but…”

“That plane. The plane that was shot down a few days ago. Was that you, sir?”

“That was me.”

“Are you with American intelligence? CIA?”

Michael grimaces.

“It’s complicated.”

“Father, we can’t stay long. We need to get back out of the city before someone comes to investigate the shooting. But we need supplies. Badly.”

“Food, water, medicine… anything you can arrange for, the rebels need. They’re starving, and they have a lot of wounded.”

“Does this mean--…? Will you keep fighting?”

“We’ve got help now, Father. Professionals. And better than that, we’ve got a plan.”

“I have some small store of supplies that I can arrange to be delivered to Omerta. It will be risky, but if you can keep the road clear, we should be able to manage. More than that will be difficult. Life here is hard under occupation. Drassen spent a long time out of the Queen’s control, and her troops do not trust the people here. They’ve been making life very difficult, and I have a feeling it will only get worse from here.”

“We’ll be back as soon as we possible to liberate Drassen. Until then, though, please do what you can.”

“I will. Of course I will. I’m sure you know I have a history of supporting Miguel and his resistance.”

“One more question, Father. We’re looking for a man named James Bullock. Calls himself ‘Skyrider’. We’ve heard that he lives somewhere in the swamps around here. Would you happen to know where to find him?

“James? I know of him, yes, but I haven’t seen him in--… well, in months.”

Michael glances over Father Walker’s shoulder to see Herve’s eyes flick up at the mention of Skyrider’s name.

“Have you seen him lately?”

“Me? I am just simple barman. I just serve de drinks. Finest liquors in all Arulco.”

“Cut the crap, Herve. Have you seen Bullock or not?”

“We just want to talk to him. See if we can come to some sort of arrangement.”

“De Queen’s soldiers also wish to come to ‘arrangement’ with him.”

“So you have seen him.”

Herve hesitates.

“Herve, if you still have any loyalty to Miguel--…”

“Very well. He live in small house in de swamp northeast of here. But I did not tell you dis!”

“Of course not. Ira, we need to get going. Father…”

Michael offers him a farewell nod.

“I will begin gathering what I can immediately.”

“Thank you, Father. We’ll see you again soon.”

Loot is not too bad this time…

Michael snags the AKMS and ammo and slings his Garand. The AK will be a reasonably good (if short-ranged) primary weapon until he can find some more .30-06 for the rifle. He also picks up a better holster for his pistol and a spare radio.

Ira grabs the Lee-Enfield No. 4, another WWII antique, but one that is more accurate, longer-ranged, and does more damage than her SKS (even if it is slower). Again, ammo will be a problem, though. She also picks up a backpack and stuffs it with some repair kits to take back to base camp.

Another bonus is a wallet filled with a cool grand that one of the elites was carrying. Michael pockets it, increasing the rebellion’s cash reserves by a third.

(through a crackle of static) “C-me in, Mike. Do you -ead?”

“Yeah, Sam. What’s your position? Over.”

“No--th of San Mona. Hey, we -an into a c--ple of Kingp---- -en, saved ‘em fr-- a tigh- -pot with some A--lcan -rmy boys shaki-- ‘em --wn. Ov--.”

“Wait, the Army was trying to muscle around Kingpin’s men?”

“--ah, I was sur---sed too. Anyw--s, as a sign of his -ppreci---on, Kin---n told his -uys not to give -- --- -rouble. He ev-- --vited us to drop by his -ar in --n Mona wh-ne--r we ha--en to pass thr------. -ver.”

“We’ll have to take him up on that. If Kingpin and the Queen are at odds…”

“…we m--ht be -ble to take som- --v-ntage. That’s w--t I was --inking. Hey, you --ke con--ct with --ther Walk-- yet?”

“We did. He’s gonna put a care package together for Miguel. Over.”

“----ome. Ri--t, well, we should rea-- --itzen- in a few ---rs. I’ll be -- -ouch once we co--rol the ---bor. O--r and ---.”

Next Episode: Chitzena, Jewel of the Caribbean

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 9, 2012

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Why don't you merge those repair kits?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I'm really liking this, and the characters are spot on.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Orange Devil posted:

Why don't you merge those repair kits?

I'm planning on just dumping them in the trunk of the jeep. You actually lose some of the value on merging, and there's enough in both of those kits that it wouldn't really be worthwhile at this point. Maybe when Michael's toolkit is used up more.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

We are identical quintuplets. It is funny. We sound same, speak same things, and are all bartenders in Arulco.
I love this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Michael has access to duct tape now?

That's it, war's over, he's already won.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Ninja edit: Agree that Ivan and Igor simply must make an appearance at some point.
They would be thrilled to meet the secret agent team called Michael Westen.
After all, one man cannot make so much trouble.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ivan, Igor and Iggy. The real Russian I-team.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Pierzak posted:

I love this game.

Except for Manny. He's just a barboy. :(

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
West of Drassen, Arulco
June 27, 2011 – 0855 EST

As dawn breaks to the east over Drassen, Michael and Ira trudge back towards where they stashed the jeep, backpacks heavy with looted tool kits.

“We killed a lot of people last night."

“We also saved a lot of people. Those supplies are vital."

Ira is quiet for a moment.

“I'm just--... I never imagined that I'd be... killing... like this."

Now Michael is silent.

“How do you do it? I mean, how do you deal with it... after?"

“Everybody's different, Ira."

“Yeah, I guess. I guess it'll just take some time to get used to, huh?"

“... Everybody's different."

As they reach the jeep, they stow the tool kits and spare radio in the back, take a short rest, and then shoulder their packs for another long hike to find James “Skyrider” Bullock.

East of Chitzena, Arulco
June 27, 2011 – 1012 EST

Jesse, Fiona, and Dimitri rest quietly in the tall grasses of a rolling meadow, relaxing in the morning sun. Their eyes snap to a rustle in the grasses, and they snatch up their weapons, only to relax as Sam pushes his way through the dry stalks. He stares a moment at the gun barrels leveled at his head.

“Maybe we shoulda worked out some kinda code word or somethin’.”

“And pass up a chance to point a gun at you, Sam?”

“You’re such a sweetheart, Fi. I go out, crawling alone through the rough ground to scout the Army positions, and then I gotta come back to this abuse. I woulda preferred a cold beer.”

“We had a whole twelve pack on ice, but you took so damned long we couldn’t wait. Dimitri drank most of it.”

Dimitri looks around, confused.

“I did not drink any beer.”

“Well, at least one of you is honest. Now, look -- do you want to hear what I found or not?”

“I suppose if want to make sure we kill ‘em all, we should probably know how many there are.”

“Okay. Now we’re talkin’. So there’s a checkpoint to the south along the road. About 12 guys. There’s also a separate patrol down there of about nine.”

“How many in Chitzena?”

“Hard to say without actually getting into the city, but it looks like there’s a mine on the outskirts, and there’s an army outpost just a block or two away from that.”

“Yes – south Chitzena is very much working-man’s place. Dere is mine dere, and harbor to de west. North Chitzena is de tourist places – de beaches, de ruins, de resort.”

“Yeah, that fits. Anyways, I only saw about ten guys around the mine. Probably more around the harbor, but maybe Miguel was right when he said that the Army wouldn’t be expecting any trouble on this side of the country.”

“Well, the Queen will know by now that an entire patrol was killed north of San Mona. If we’re lucky, she’ll blame Kingpin, but still…”

“Yeah, we’ll have to keep an eye on that patrol to the south. They may be coming this way to investigate.”

“Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I need to get some sleep. All-night marches are great and all, but I’m not as young as I used to be.”

“Oh, please. You’re just out of shape, Sam.”

“Okay, I’m not as in-shape as I used to be. Happy?”

“Very.”

“I will take de first watch, so you can sleep.”

“Aren’t you tired?”

“Dimitri Guzzo does not get tired. I will watch. You all sleep. It is okay.”

“You know, Dimitri, you are a very fine man.”

30 minutes later…

“Dimitri! Wake your rear end up! Sam! Fiona! We got incoming!”

Jesse, his Mini-14 up at his shoulder, kicks at the sleeping trio. Sam and Fi are up immediately, taking up their weapons. Dimitri takes a groggy moment to awaken.

“What--… that patrol?”

“Yep. Somebody fell asleep on watch.”

“Hell! I am very sorry…”

“Well, don’t apologize… kill some soldiers!”

The four rebels form a firing line in the tall grass and spot the enemies to their southwest. With the cover afforded by the grasses and the range that the enemy is at, Fiona slings her Type 85 and elects to use the range of the Garand despite its limited ammo. The weapon is extremely effective, dropping two enemies in a flash. Jesse managed to bag a third with his Mini-14 before Fiona nails her third. In the hail of inaccurate enemy return fire, Jesse gets lightly grazed by a pistol shot, but Sam takes out the culprit with his SKS. So far, this battle is taking place at ranges far too long for Dimitri and his shotgun.

As the battle continues, Sam and Jesse both target the same enemy, and their bullets hit at nearly the same time to bring her down. Fiona drops two more at range, but a nearby enemy has gone prone in the tall grass, making him almost impossible to see, let alone hit. Dimitri is finally useful, laying down a few shells’ worth of buckshot at the target’s last location and forcing him to keep his head down. At the same time, Jesse dashes up, pistol out, and finishes the last member of the patrol.

As the battle wraps up, Dimitri hangs his head in shame.

“Hey, Dimitri – don’t take it too hard.”

“I almost kill us all.”

Sam thinks for a moment, then nods.

“Well, yeah, that’s true. If Jesse hadn’t woken up, we woulda been in a pretty bad spot, but we got through pretty much unscathed.”

Jesse shoots Sam a look from over where Fiona is bandaging his arm.

“What? I said ‘pretty much.’ Anyways, Dimitri – the thing to remember here is that you don’t have to impress us. Just do your job and do it well, and don’t volunteer for jobs that you can’t do. Got it?”

Dimitri nods slowly.

“Got it.”

“Now, let’s see what kind of gear these guys were packin’, then try and get some real rest before we hit Chitzena.”

:dance: A Mosin-Nagant! Basically an early-game sniper rifle, this piece of WWII-era Soviet hardware was the tool of legendary snipers like Vasily Zaitsev and Simo Häyhä. It’s a very good gun for Fiona, and the only real limitation is its inability to take the more powerful scopes. Still, it will kick rear end for the time being, so she passes her Garand to Sam. Jesse picks up the AKMS and some magazines, Fiona grabs some sunglasses, Jesse snatches the flak jacket, and Sam swaps his Glock sidearm for a 10mm Colt Delta Elite. Dimitri, possibly still feeling down about falling asleep on his watch, doesn’t pick up anything.

Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0246 EST

After spending the remainder of the day resting and recovering from the long march and battle with the patrol, Fiona, Sam, Jesse, and Dimitri creep into southeast Chitzena. Under the cover of darkness, and shielding their approach by using the thick tropical vegetation, they close in on the squat mining building.

Jesse and Dimitri quietly advance on the mining building, taking cover behind some debris, as rain starts to fall over Chitzena. Jesse snaps up his pistol and fires twice as an elite blackshirt’s patrol route brings her into range. Unfortunately, the soldier falls dead right in front of the open door to the mining building, where several Army soldiers were taking shelter from the rain. As they race outside, Dimitri has no choice but to go loud and cut them down with his shotgun as Sam advances to cover the western approach. After double-checking the mining building to make sure no more enemies are hidden inside, the foursome leapfrogs their way deeper into town.

As they advance past a small, pleasant park, Jesse cuts down two enemy soldiers with his AKMS. Just to the west, Sam hears a sudden noise behind him, and whips around to find a soldier trying to outflank them. His Garand roars, and the almost-sneaky-enough enemy dies. Back in the park, Dimitri catches a blackshirt out in the street and blows her away. As he advances to the park’s wall, he spots another one standing (stupidly) in a pool of light outside of the Chitzena army post building. He makes the shot easily.

The squad cautiously closes in on the A.C.A. (Arulcan Army) building. Dimitri sneaks forward and checks a window. It looks clear, but they are taking no chances. Dimitri climbs up and creeps across the roof, then jumps down on the other side. Peering in the bathroom window, he spots an enemy, and shoots him down. Shaken by the blast, another soldier breaks from his cover behind one of the pillars, and Fiona burst-fires with the Type 85 and makes the kill. With Jesse covering from the windows, Sam slips up and breaks through the door lock with his crowbar. As Dimitri swings around to join him, he hears the sounds of someone moving in what appears to be a cell. One of the soldiers has apparently locked himself in and is waiting for one of our heroes to come into his line of fire. Instead, Sam gas-masks up, and Dimitri throws a tear-gas grenade at the door of the cell. The last blackshirt gets up, coughing, and Sam puts him down.

“Hey Dimitri, go pop open those footlockers and see if there’s anything we can use.”

“Got it!”

Nothing too stunning lootwise, but Fiona does pick up an UMP45 to replace her trusty Type 85. She also grabs a belt, enabling her to lug a little more gear. Sam throws a 3x scope on the Garand (unfortunately, still no supply of thirty-ought-six to make the BAR viable) and takes a flak jacket. Jesse sees the biggest upgrade; he gets a HK 33KE pretty well tricked-out with a 4x ACOG scope, laser, foregrip, trigger group, and telescopic stock. Not an amazing weapon by any means, but it’ll make for a reasonably fast, accurate, and powerful mid-range weapon while Fiona and Sam can cover long-range. Jesse also picks up a Kevlar vest. Meanwhile, Dimitri finally gives up his shotgun in favor of Jesse’s no-longer-needed AKMS. In all, $450 in cash is also recovered, which they pocket.

Next Episode: Chitzena Harbor – Lifeline of a Nation

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 3, 2012

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yay, new update! Really liking the character interaction so far.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Please do not put the sector inventory in animated gifs. Too much info to absorb in several seconds.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yay fancy gear and a mosin. I hope it's a Finn one and not a soviet one though.

Poor dmitri, he doesn't get the groups American colloquialisms.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Pierzak posted:

Please do not put the sector inventory in animated gifs. Too much info to absorb in several seconds.

I can do this. It'll definitely only get worse from here on out, with pages and pages of gear. Do the individual inventories work as animated gifs, or would the preference be to have them as separate static images as well?

SpookyLizard posted:

Poor dmitri, he doesn't get the groups American colloquialisms.

He learned it all in school, but he forgot it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Incidentally, once you find ammo for it, that BAR will remain a viable weapon for Sam for most of the game. It eats bullets like candy and has almost no staying power, but is pretty accurate, has decent armor penetration, and does quite a lot of damage. In the midgame BR's shop will start stocking the 'XP3' variant of the .30-06 round, which has increased range and armor penetration over the standard AP round and tumbles like a motherfucker once inside the target; with that loaded a BAR or M1919 is absolutely terrifying.

e: Also, I noticed the loot included an upgrade kit for an armor vest; did you put it to use, or are you saving it until you have better armor to use it on?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
The big problem with the BAR is the itty-bitty magazine. If Sam can stumble onto an M1919 (like he did in my last game), he'll be an unstoppable monster.

As for the upgrade kit, I actually used it on the Guardian vest that you might have seen in the initial sector inventory, but the armor was already so badly chewed up that it ended up worse than the flak jacket. Dimitri is carrying a spare bottle of C-18, but I didn't want to use that up to repair the Guardian vest, so I just said screw it and CTRL-clicked it.

It was a bit of a waste, but once the money starts rolling in, I can just buy upgrade kits from BRs, so I'm not worried.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

FiddlersThree posted:

I can do this. It'll definitely only get worse from here on out, with pages and pages of gear. Do the individual inventories work as animated gifs, or would the preference be to have them as separate static images as well?

The individual inventories are rather small, so you could fit them all in a space not much larger than a single screenshot, if you did some image editing. Easier to parse than an animated gif, and not much more space.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

pun pundit posted:

The individual inventories are rather small, so you could fit them all in a space not much larger than a single screenshot, if you did some image editing. Easier to parse than an animated gif, and not much more space.

I like this. I will do this.

EDIT: Aaaaand done. Swapped out the animated inventory gif and replaced it with static shots for the sector, and compiled the four character inventories into one shot. Thanks for the suggestion, pun pundit!

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
This is a great thread, even if I've never seen a single episode of Burn Notice. I really like the way you portray the character's personalities, will you be getting AIM/M.E.R.C. people in too? I have to say that seeing Fiona put on the same team with Sheila "Scope" Sterling would be delightful.

And of course, Fidel loves to work with CIA, he has a rich history with them.

• Locked thread