Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

My Face When posted:

Yay! I love to watch people play the game blind. It's so interesting!

REMOVED -Geop
Please, no spoilers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Thanks Geop for enforcing this, part of the fun of this is to see this game done blind.

Suaimhneas posted:

I always thought Hold was better anyway, makes it easier to cancel the lock when there's more than one enemy in range.

Yeah, I thought it already was on switch targeting when I watched the first one. Hold is infinitely better.

You need to restart the game to switch targeting modes though, I am pretty sure, once you are in game you are locked to the mode selected.

edit.
My only suggestion for controllers is to find a real n64 controller with a workable joystick, and buy an usb adapter, this one is the best: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_usb_adapter/

The N64 controller is weird but I really like it, for N64 games or at the very least this game, any other controller is inferior and I think a lot of pain will be had because of not using one.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 21, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Fredrik1 posted:

Yeah, I thought it already was on switch targeting when I watched the first one. Hold is infinitely better.
Switch has some problems with multiple enemies, but I still prefer using it over Hold. Holding the Z (or L on GC/3DS) trigger during fights can be annoying, and if you're playing the 3DS version it can be physically painful.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The title's right, this was one game I never expected to see a blind run of. Excited to see how this goes...especially for that one dungeon. :suicide:

Trying to be vague there but if it's considered spoilery, feel free to chop it out, mods.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The difficulty of a particular dungeon might be something that's percolated into collective gaming culture enough to not be a spoiler but I don't want to risk it. It's probably also not that bad for someone who is older than twelve when they attempt it.

Looking forward to next episode. :cool:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh wow I just noticed the crescent moons on the switches and blocks. Those got removed from later versions of the game along with a few other things and I've never seen them before.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Proposition Joe posted:

Oh wow I just noticed the crescent moons on the switches and blocks. Those got removed from later versions of the game along with a few other things and I've never seen them before.

Yeah, they are playing on the 1.0 or 1.1 version of the game, a couple of fixes for glitches where done in 1.1 and 1.2 but mostly it's small stuff that I don't think will affect the LP much.

1.2 was the big censoring patch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

NTSC 1.2 (according to the Cutting Room Floor wiki, this is the same version as PAL 1.0) had a bunch of changes and fixes as well as some censorship, but it still had the crescent moon symbol. That wasn't changed until the Gamecube version.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Wait, this game was censored at some point? I didn't know this!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Faerie Fortune posted:

Wait, this game was censored at some point? I didn't know this!

I'm certain the thread will bring up anything changed after you come across it, no worries there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I had almost forgot about it, but that did happen.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Actually I have a story related question for the thread!

One thing I did not understand watching the treedad cutscene is...well really what the hell was going on. I thought it was because I wasn't paying attention at the time since ChaosArgate and I were talking about girl scout cookies and how annoying unscippable cutscenes are so I just watched it again and it still doesn't make any sense to me. Why did treedad never mention this curse to anyone else? What does it actually do to him? Why did he die pretty much immediately and what was the purpose to it all? I legitimately don't understand what was going on there.

Feel free to explain it to me, although if it'll be made more clear later on just tell me that and I'll accept it. But given the information I have, it just doesn't make much sense. About the only thing I can gather is that all the creepy things running around his insides were part of his curse but that's about it. Maybe I'm just dumb :downs:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

As I understand it, he got the "Plastic" Arachnid Gohma put in him as a curse because he wouldn't give up the Kokiri Emerald when the bad man came and asked for it.
Gohma had been sapping the lifeforce out of treedad for some time now. And right before he kicks the bucket, he decides to get a poor innocent kid mixed up in all of this.

The reason why he waited until he was on the verge of death, instead of immediately having a child crawl inside him to lift the curse and be done with it, will be made clear at the start of the next video (or at least can't be mentioned right now). And the reason why poor innocent Link had to be the one will be made clear a bit further along in the game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also the Kokiri are wimpy idiot children mostly. Link is an exception.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Actually I have a story related question for the thread!

One thing I did not understand watching the treedad cutscene is...well really what the hell was going on. I thought it was because I wasn't paying attention at the time since ChaosArgate and I were talking about girl scout cookies and how annoying unscippable cutscenes are so I just watched it again and it still doesn't make any sense to me. Why did treedad never mention this curse to anyone else? What does it actually do to him? Why did he die pretty much immediately and what was the purpose to it all? I legitimately don't understand what was going on there.

Feel free to explain it to me, although if it'll be made more clear later on just tell me that and I'll accept it. But given the information I have, it just doesn't make much sense. About the only thing I can gather is that all the creepy things running around his insides were part of his curse but that's about it. Maybe I'm just dumb :downs:

Basically the 'wicked man from the desert' wanted Treedad to give him the emerald, but Treedad said no. So the man said "Well screw you then" and put a death curse on him. Which appears to have manifested as a giant spider creature gnawing on his innards for some reason. It took a while for Treedad to die because he's really big and magical, but there was really nobody who could help him - the Kokiri are all children; he's supposed to be protecting them. Bringing in Link (who's kind of a special case) was a last-ditch effort, and even though he killed the focus of the curse, too much damage had already been done. (It's not clear just how long it's been since the curse was placed. It might have been just yesterday for all we know.) And Treedad died immediately after giving Link the emerald because that was the last thing he needed to do; there was no point trying to fight death any longer.

Anyway, you've been doing well so far! The one piece of advice I would give is to use your shield more. When you're locked on to an enemy, you can hold up your shield and still move. It's not just for use against projectiles! Many enemies, including Deku Babas and the little Gohmas, are totally unable to get past your shield.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, I think the timing is what bothered me, I didn't quite know if it was a case of treedad knew the curse would kill him soon so he was like "gently caress it, bring in that link kid and see if he can help, I'm gonna die either way" or if killing math spider made him die as well as if their lives were connected. That was the most confusing part for me but I suppose now that Link has his magic rock it doesn't matter one way or the other!

Thanks for clarifying for me, thread! :3:

Also yes, my girlfriend yelled at me about the shield too! I'll get better at it as time goes on, I promise. It might not sound like it in the video but I get flustered a lot in fights and I panic a little and forget what options I have available to me. A good way to tell when I'm panicking is when I start saying "oh goodness" instead of swearing like an adult. See if you can spot that point in the latest video!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The shield would have made you invincible against pretty much everything that killed you.

In addition to what everyone else have been saying, I was under the impression that Oghma, the curse, formed a symbiotic relationship between it and Treedad.

Treedad didn't have long to live anyway, and the Kokiri crystal was probably the only reason he was still alive, but killing Oghma pretty much sealed his fate, and he turned the crystal over to Link, whom he trusted more than anyone else.

The greenhaired girl at the start would have implied a bit of this, I believe.

Or maybe I've been reading too much fanwanking. It made some sense to me this way.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Not enough people are drawing catapults for the thread. There's a problem here.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
The problem with the Kokiri dagger is that it's so short-ranged, you really have to get right up in an enemy's face to hit them. Which is bad news because touching enemies usually hurts you. That's where the shield comes in. You can hold it up and still attack no problem- you won't be covered during the attack animation, so you still have to watch your timing, but generally there isn't any reason not to just hold down the shield button the entire time you're in combat.

Are you aware of the different ways you can swing the sword?

This is an excellent LP, I'm really enjoying it. Keep up the awesome work!

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I have to disagree with those in the thread who want ChaosArgate to explain the optimal way to approach every challenge, where all the hidden goodies are and what not. It sort of defeats the purpose of the thread, and the result would be a knowledgeable run executed more slowly.

Ignoring the Skulltula was just fine, they're not crucial to get rid of or anything.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The skittering doesn't bother me all that much, I just assumed it was regular dungeon background noise :shrug: you all need to calm down about those silly skullspiders, its not that big of a deal!

Also you guys have seen me fight things in this game, do you really want to see more of that against enemies that I don't really have to be fighting?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You don't need to go out in search of them, but all skulltulas you encounter must be destroyed. Their skittering cannot go unanswered.

They must be destroyed.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Faerie Fortune posted:

Also you guys have seen me fight things in this game, do you really want to see more of that against enemies that I don't really have to be fighting?

Well you have relatively little to worry about damage-wise from the Golden skulltulas. They will not actively attack you, and you'll only receive damage from smushing your face against them. You should still make a token effort to kill them.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Neurion posted:

Well you have relatively little to worry about damage-wise from the Golden skulltulas. They will not actively attack you, and you'll only receive damage from smushing your face against them.
Uh, you did pay attention to how she fought, right? This Link has yet to learn that headbutts are a bad idea against the forces of darkness.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

You don't need to go out in search of them, but all skulltulas you encounter must be destroyed. Their skittering cannot go unanswered.

They must be destroyed.

Fae, please do not kill any more golden skulltulas. They're an endangered species, hunted for their ivory skull tokens. :ohdear:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

The skittering doesn't bother me all that much, I just assumed it was regular dungeon background noise :shrug: you all need to calm down about those silly skullspiders, its not that big of a deal!
You say that, but there was a moment where I think you were standing around figuring something out and both of them were on the screen, spinning and doing their thing, and I can only imagine the suffering you caused several OCD people.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You get sweet skull tokens, how can you not love sweet skull tokens?

But I can totally understand ignoring the one you did until you get a better handle on crazy jumps. Even if you had killed it, you would have had to make some along the wall jumps after the fact to get the token. So with the time it took for you to make the straight line jump, yeah.

Granted, I WANT you to kill those things :v: But I won't be too busted up about it if you figure it's too annoying to deal with one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 21, 2014

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Bonus Content!

Today, my best friend bought me Smash. Since I love to embarrass myself for the internet, I made an audio recording of the skype call during my first game. Featuring me, my 3DS, WanderingKree, a little bit of ChaosArgate and my own incompetence.

...also this serves as proof that I'm not hamming it up for the LP, I really am just like that when I'm playing videogames.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Axe Master posted:

I have to disagree with those in the thread who want ChaosArgate to explain the optimal way to approach every challenge, where all the hidden goodies are and what not. It sort of defeats the purpose of the thread, and the result would be a knowledgeable run executed more slowly.

Ignoring the Skulltula was just fine, they're not crucial to get rid of or anything.

I dunno, I find that of the hundred out there you want to get at least ten, or thirty for an extension of that reward. That will keep them from extinction, golden skulltula's are an invasive species after all, so they need to be controlled.

e: this isn't too much of a spoiler, I hope. :ohdear: My general rule for blind thread advice is "something an npc might say".

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 21, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Watching the LP with my kid. We were taking bets on who would die first: Fae or Ghoma. We both said Ghoma. We laughed a lot, double so at, "I hope I never see those things again!". We also learned about using Deku Nuts on Ghoma.

Also, Keebler cookies aren't knock-off Girl Scout Cookies. They're literally made at the same factory.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faerie Fortune posted:

Bonus Content!

Today, my best friend bought me Smash. Since I love to embarrass myself for the internet, I made an audio recording of the skype call during my first game. Featuring me, my 3DS, WanderingKree, a little bit of ChaosArgate and my own incompetence.

...also this serves as proof that I'm not hamming it up for the LP, I really am just like that when I'm playing videogames.

I am slightly disappointed you didn't record the bits where we played each other.

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: this isn't too much of a spoiler, I hope. :ohdear: My general rule for blind thread advice is "something an npc might say".

The rule of thumb is generally "if you have to think about it, it's probably a spoiler and you shouldn't post it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I am slightly disappointed you didn't record the bits where we played each other.

I actually did but it only recorded my voice and as funny as it would be, a solid minute of me going "oh no, oh no, oh goodness no, bye!" isn't very entertaining!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I actually did but it only recorded my voice and as funny as it would be, a solid minute of me going "oh no, oh no, oh goodness no, bye!" isn't very entertaining!

Aww, that's a shame! Next time lemme know and I'll pop open Audacity so you can edit that together!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Faerie Fortune posted:

So what you're saying is you have some prepared audio for the next sped up section?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cheez posted:

Not enough people are drawing catapults for the thread. There's a problem here.

Let me try to fix it.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

You get sweet skull tokens, how can you not love sweet skull tokens?

But I can totally understand ignoring the one you did until you get a better handle on crazy jumps. Even if you had killed it, you would have had to make some along the wall jumps after the fact to get the token. So with the time it took for you to make the straight line jump, yeah.

Granted, I WANT you to kill those things :v: But I won't be too busted up about it if you figure it's too annoying to deal with one.

See, I figured it was at least in part an effort on Chaos' part to streamline everything. You can come back for the tokens, after all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Valgaav posted:

See, I figured it was at least in part an effort on Chaos' part to streamline everything. You can come back for the tokens, after all.

I thought about telling her to kill the skulltulas, but she was still getting the hang of jumping and stuff so I didn't wanna make her do the slightly tricky jump to grab one of the skulltula tokens.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChaosArgate, have you considered the fact that you are Fairie Fortune's Navi?

Food for thought.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

ChaosArgate, have you considered the fact that you are Fairie Fortune's Navi?

Food for thought.

Fae told me as much literally right after the first episode went up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

HardDisk posted:

Let me try to fix it.

Waluigi likes this.

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought about telling her to kill the skulltulas, but she was still getting the hang of jumping and stuff so I didn't wanna make her do the slightly tricky jump to grab one of the skulltula tokens.
One of those was on the vines, though. Back when I started this game I thought you couldn't even reach the second skulltula token the first time around, but the one on the vines would have been simple enough to grab. I say if you have the tools, you're there, and you hear it, that's reason enough to go on a bug hunt.

• Locked thread